5kaven5lave

16 minutes ago, DocKeule said:

In my neck of the woods (and GW shops in particular but also independent tournaments) a conversion is usually accepted if it is a model/kit of equal value. Convert a cheap unit into something much stronger or pricier is usually frowned upon.

Equal value will be nigh impossible when compared to the real acolytes of gw.

But technically Stormvermins with drake fire guns, could almost cost around 150dollars,

but thankfully come much cheaper, thanks to only needing a drakeguns.

especially when your playing dwarfs on your own or just have a friend or a place selling bitz.

Ps:

I went to plenty of tournaments, and by asking if the conversion could be used,

they only praised how great those converted models look.

And if there is a tournament that doesn't allow converted models, then I wouldn’t go to that because converting models, is what a true dedicated  hobbiest, next to painting and playing the game makes.

ps: also have you seen the great sky-kill armada from that one games workshop tournament, who even got mentioned and praised at warhammer community?

it looks amazing!

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 2

On 11/29/2020 at 2:40 PM, Sartxac said:

I have proxyes as acolytes like the old blood Island team weapons.

The ol' mortar team models you say? Well you certainly can use them..IMG_0007.JPG.eb13ed0dd72381816361724ad814641a.JPG

My secret: clone the little bugga's

0804191644-01.jpg.23c8b4079643c9df4373b7008463f41b.jpg

I did some early experimentation with rubber molds and plastic epoxy. Their shape and minimal appendages made it way easy to retain quality. 

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

21 hours ago, DocKeule said:

Depends on what you prefer I would say. For me Skaven should be a horde army (most of the time). Ich have 120 clanrats, 20 stormvermin an 80 monks and I like it when a wave of rats rolls across the table.

With Skryre you could have a much more elite build. A couple of stormfiend-units and then weapon-teams and machines.

Hmmm, Skaven do do the horde like almost no other army.   Even Beasts of Chaos can't quite compare with their variety of hordes either, though I do already have that army.  They're both capable of teleporty/outflanky movements too.  Though even elite Skaven can do that with the warpgrinder fists/teams, and Gnawholes, and Skitterleap.  

Guess I'll wet my whistle with the next cheap impulse buy for Skaven I come across.  Let the Horned Rat put out the right cheese to bait me with :D

3 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Hmmm, Skaven do do the horde like almost no other army.   Even Beasts of Chaos can't quite compare with their variety of hordes either, though I do already have that army.  They're both capable of teleporty/outflanky movements too.  Though even elite Skaven can do that with the warpgrinder fists/teams, and Gnawholes, and Skitterleap.  

Guess I'll wet my whistle with the next cheap impulse buy for Skaven I come across.  Let the Horned Rat put out the right cheese to bait me with :D

Beastmen and maybe goblins could field a comparable mass of models if they wanted to. 

On the other hand you can go full Skryre and have a one drop list with only about 20 models or so at 2000 points.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

The ol' mortar team models you say? Well you certainly can use them..IMG_0007.JPG.eb13ed0dd72381816361724ad814641a.JPG

My secret: clone the little bugga's

0804191644-01.jpg.23c8b4079643c9df4373b7008463f41b.jpg

I did some early experimentation with rubber molds and plastic epoxy. Their shape and minimal appendages made it way easy to retain quality. 

Yes, I use this models.

*Apart of pungua, Cult miniatures has also a excellent line of rats.

https://cdn2.myminifactory.com/assets/object-assets/5f33e50c37e99/images/720X720-untitled-262.jpg

• LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Question about Stormfiend armament....could a unit of six have one guy with WarpGrinderFists and one guy with Ratling Guns?  Or do both guys in the  third of the unit have to take the same weapons for the given options?

They need to be the same.

Up to one third of the models in the unit (rounding up) can be armed with one of the following weapon options: Warpfire Projectors and Clubbing Blows; or Windlaunchers and Clubbing Blows.

Up to one third of the models in the unit (rounding up) can be armed with one of the following weapon options: Grinderfists; or Ratling Cannons and Clubbing Blows.

Up to one third of the models in the unit (rounding up) can be armed with one of the following weapon options: Doomflayer Gauntlets and Warpstonelaced Armour; or Shock Gauntlets and Warpstone-laced Armour.

I think the "one of the following options" should express that one model cannot have more that one weapon option. When AoS first started the wording was not clear in that aspect and did also not limit the combinations you could use. Some people started building Stormfiends with a rattling gun and a warpfire projector on the same model (and usually one with one grinderfist in each unit). That thinking was kind of logocal since Thanquol still works similarly but it was ridiculously OP. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DocKeule said:

I disagree. In a unit with six fiends you can have one grinder and one rattling gun. Then one third is armed with either or the other. (Two grinders in one unit would not make any sense any way)

No.

It’s “one of the following weapon choices” we aren’t allowed to have a grinder fist and a rattling gun pop up in same round.

On that note, Can’t even attach a weapon team to a grinder fist, or Jezzails to a grinder.

B74A5C28-8888-4EC9-8938-FDFCDF20B084.jpeg

Edited by Coyote
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Coyote said:

No.

It’s “one of the following weapon choices” we aren’t allowed to have a grinder fist and a rattling gun pop up in same round.

On that note, Can’t even attach a weapon team to a grinder fist, or Jezzails to a grinder.

If you have three models in the unit you can't but it you have six models you can have one grinder and one rattling cannon.

One third can be be armed with one or the other not only one option for the whole third.

Edited by DocKeule
  • Like 1

Hmmmm, this is proving to be quite the pickle.  

But regardless, here's what I'm thinking I'd like to build to start off my Skryre, including Thanquol because he's super cool and seems somehow appropriate:

390 Thanquol (Skitterleap spell)

120 Warlock Bombadier (Warp Lightning Shield/ Vigordust Injector)

120 Warlock Bombadier (More More More Warp Power!)

780 3 x 3 Stormfiends

450 3 Doomwheels

60 1 Doom-flayer

80 Whyrlblade Threshik

I'll probably kitbash a Doomflayer, those are hard to find and not certain those old weapon teams will remain in play after Skaven gets a new tome.  But I think the rest will be here for a long time.

Edited by Lord Krungharr

You cannot field the Whyrlblade Threshik enginecoven by itself. You need to field a Warpcog Convocation battalion wthat contains of two or more enginecovens of your choice. 

If you switch one Doomwheel for a Warplighning Cannon you could field an Arkhspark Voltik (Cannon plus Warlock Bombardier) as your second enginecoven and you could use the battalion.  But you have to pay the points for the battalion and both enginecovens. 

Edited by DocKeule

So I admit that losing rules to my beloved clawlord on brood horror (who was never worth the 80 extra points but gosh darn it did I put him in every list) kind of took the wind out of my sails on skaven. It's only just now I'm realizing that despite the huge height difference he is in fact on the same base as a verminlord, and since he was meant to represent a reincarnated Queek Headtaker I think the rules suit it just fine. I'm a little torn on what would be the best way to get him to the proper height though. Do I build up a ridiculously tall base for him to stand on or do you think it would be fine to just add something like a pillar or something at the proper height to the base so my opponent can still target him properly?

On 12/9/2020 at 4:03 AM, DocKeule said:

You cannot field the Whyrlblade Threshik enginecoven by itself. You need to field a Warpcog Convocation battalion wthat contains of two or more enginecovens of your choice. 

If you switch one Doomwheel for a Warplighning Cannon you could field an Arkhspark Voltik (Cannon plus Warlock Bombardier) as your second enginecoven and you could use the battalion.  But you have to pay the points for the battalion and both enginecovens. 

D'oh!  Thanks.  I don't currently  have the tome, just been thought-exercising with what's on 1D4chan.   Looks like I wouldn't be able to fit Thanquol then, as I'd need the ArchWarlock for the Convocation.  But I guess he's still a wizard, that's something.

4 hours ago, The Red King said:

So I admit that losing rules to my beloved clawlord on brood horror (who was never worth the 80 extra points but gosh darn it did I put him in every list) kind of took the wind out of my sails on skaven. It's only just now I'm realizing that despite the huge height difference he is in fact on the same base as a verminlord, and since he was meant to represent a reincarnated Queek Headtaker I think the rules suit it just fine. I'm a little torn on what would be the best way to get him to the proper height though. Do I build up a ridiculously tall base for him to stand on or do you think it would be fine to just add something like a pillar or something at the proper height to the base so my opponent can still target him properly?

I would pick an enemy that he defeated mightily in the past and put him on top of a trophy kill or two, or five?  Always easy to get height that way.  But a cool terrain chunk would also be neat.

Hey guys,

So, I've been playing on a local league for almost 3 months, basically is about playing all the battleplans on the GHB 2020 book, we are currently on the 6th round... It almost ends... And I registered with my dear Skaventide... We can change the list every round if we want, so I've been trying some variations of a Vermin-Skryre kind of list, trying to find the most competitive build.

Here's the final version of it:

- Thanquol                   390 pts
       Death frenzy
       (4x Warp projectors usually)
- Warlock Engineer.   100 pts
    General.
       Deranged Inventor
       Vigordust Injector
       M.m.m. warp power
- Warlock Engineer.    100 pts
       M.m.m. warp power

- 40 x Clanrats.            200 pts
       Swords
- 20 x Clanrats.            120 pts
       Swords
- 40 x Stormvermin.    400 pts

- 6 x Stormfiends          520 pts
         2x windlauchers
         2x darling una
         2x shock gauntlets

Endless spells.

- Warplighting Vortex.    80 pts
- Umbral Spellportal.      70 pts

Total. 2000 pts

I have to say that I'm very happy with this list, I've won twice, vs lumineth and vs nighthaunt. My strategy is: if I start, I cast the portal and Warplighting Vortex on the enemy's face, take objectives and position my screen of clanrats for s possible double turn. If I go second, I do the same, always deploying the screens properly to avoid an alpha strike that hurts, then I counter fire on my turn with spells and buffed stormfiends.

Notes: I tried to squeeze points to increase the 20 clanrats but that would mean take out the portal or reduce the stormvermin, and I think stormvermin need to be 40 to be a powerhouse.
Another variation is to switch one engineer with a clawlord, to buff the vermin. And turn the general into a Bombardier.

After several games I would say I prefer stormfiends over jezzails, I know they have a different role, but I just love how durable stormfiends are and the psicological pain they are for my oponent...

What you guys think?

• Like 1