5kaven5lave

13 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Next 2 up. Went 1-2 again unfortunately.. all explained in the reports. Needless to say I'm happy to be taking a break from Skaven (aside from 1 or so a week for the next tournament) and focusing on something that plays a bit differently like Tzeentch or Fyreslayers.

People seem excited about the 4 Doomwheel list so I'll probably be testing it out some this week.

Thanks for the write ups and sounds like you could of gone 2-1 if things had gone differently. I always think having a selection of armies is good in this hobby as you can get jaded from time to time. That's how I justify owing most of chaos 🤣🤣

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blisterfeet said:

Thanks for the write ups and sounds like you could of gone 2-1 if things had gone differently. I always think having a selection of armies is good in this hobby as you can get jaded from time to time. That's how I justify owing most of chaos 🤣🤣

Yeah, and that was the goal.. I really felt I had that OBR game but taking out my Acolytes due to him getting a double and then just having 24 SV completely bounce off 20 Mortek was all that needed to happen.

I always have at least 2 other armies I play, but having not played at all for about 3 months due to COVID I just wanted to get back into with Skaven but man... these strings of losses just really hurt. We'll see how the 4 DW's + 40 Acolytes list goes. I don't expect much but I may be surprised when I finally deviate away from standard builds 😉. Even if not then I have Tzeentch and Fyreslayers (may even give 4-5 Stonehorn lists a try too until we get Giants) to get reacquainted with.

Can anyone answer a new player Q. If I take a janky but fun looking mixed allegiance list how do allegiance specific buffs like the great plagues, clawlord general trait work and masterclan gain a cp work (I have 1 of each of these in my army and Masterclan as General). I do not own a book yet so I am wondering if none apply or if 1 nominated applies or they all apply (highly doubt that).

List is here and this is purely a fun list to go with my masses of plague monk list. 

Spoiler

Allegiance: Skaventide
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)
Thanquol on Boneripper (390)
- General
- 4 Warpfire Braziers
Clawlord (100)
10 x Stormvermin (100)
- Halberd & Shield
10 x Stormvermin (100)
- Halberd & Shield
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
20 x Gutter Runners (200)
1 x Doomwheel (150)
1 x Doomwheel (150)
Plagueclaw (150)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 153

On 7/25/2020 at 6:50 PM, Gwendar said:

Had my game today with OBR, but lost and it really just came down to a single priority roll. I'll post a short batrep tomorrow with my last game once that's done.

Anyway, I have a ladder tournament starting next week and I decided to instead run the following. I think I'll take another small break from Skaven and play more Tzeentch\Fyreslayers for a bit (maybe just a month or so). I figured I would just use something ridiculous for this last tournament with them for a bit 😉:

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
Arch-Warlock (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Deranged Inventor
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Warlock Engineer (110)
Warlock Engineer (110)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
1 x Doomwheel (150)
1 x Doomwheel (150)
1 x Doomwheel (150)
1 x Doomwheel (150)
20 x Skryre Acolytes (200)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Bell of Doom (40)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 188

Priority roll is dumb.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coyote said:

Priority roll is dumb.

Many would disagree with you and I tend to see both sides of it, though I lean more towards disliking it. The common argument I see is "well if you got doubled then it's your own fault for not setting up right" but I mean.. it's a gamble.

I either setup to get priority myself, or I don't; I can't see into the future. It's why I tend to play so cagey and reactively, but since most of our shoot is short range that's hard to do properly unless you're against melee armies. Bottom line, if someone outdrops me, makes me go first and I'm already as far back as possible in deployment (or alternatively move Clanrats up to create a wider screen) and they can T1 charge or shoot everything important off the board and then get a double to do it again then... Well, what exactly was I supposed to do there?

It's literally been the cause of me to win sometimes, but obviously I attribute that to luck of getting a higher dice roll than my opponent and being able to make use of it. I think if it's going to stay, something could do with getting changed to make it less impactful (but still impactful overall).

1 hour ago, Verminlord said:

Would be nice if someone getting doubled could at least spend a cp to reroll their priority roll

Or the person who had the first turn gets +2 to the roll, instead of winning on a higher or the same dice roll then his opponent.

it would at least make taking first turn a bit more interesting.

2 hours ago, Verminlord said:

Would be nice if someone getting doubled could at least spend a cp to reroll their priority roll

How are people running pestilens now btw? I feel like I haven't seen them around as much lately.

I'm new to Skaven (not the game) but plan on testing some Pestillens lists out these are the two I'm going to try

List 1

Spoiler

Thanquol on Boneripper (390)
- General
- 2 Warpfire Braziers & 2 Warpfire Projectors
- Lore of Ruin: Warpgale
Verminlord Corruptor (280)
- Artefact: Brooding Blade
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)
- Artefact: Liber Bubonicus
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Woe-stave
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Foetid Blades
Plagueclaw (150)
Plagueclaw (150)
Congregation of Filth (160)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 130

It's a balanced list with 2 hammer units. I think this might lack wounds so hence the play test

Spoiler

- General
- 4 Warpfire Braziers
- Lore of Ruin: Warpgale
Verminlord Corruptor (280)
- Artefact: Liber Bubonicus
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Foetid Blades
Congregation of Filth (160)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 151

More wounds, 3 hammer units but no range so again needs playtesting 

I have also looked at how to fit The Glottkin in but I'm nervous about relying on magic of any sort for a strategy so I have dropped him again.

12 minutes ago, Blisterfeet said:

I'm new to Skaven (not the game) but plan on testing some Pestillens lists out these are the two I'm going to try

List 1

Reveal hidden contents

- General
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Woe-stave
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Foetid Blades
Plagueclaw (150)
Plagueclaw (150)
Extra Command Point (50)

It's a balanced list with 2 hammer units. I think this might lack wounds so hence the play test

Reveal hidden contents

- General
- 4 Warpfire Braziers
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Foetid Blades
Extra Command Point (50)

I have also looked at how to fit The Glottkin in but I'm nervous about relying on magic of any sort for a strategy so I have dropped him again.

You'll want to run death frenzy on Thanquol for pile in after death monks.

I'd also consider dropping the plague claws- they're extremely unreliable. Just take more monks

I'm not sure if staves are better than blades even with the extra reach

45 minutes ago, Blisterfeet said:

List 1

Hide contents

- General
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Woe-stave
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Foetid Blades
Plagueclaw (150)
Plagueclaw (150)
Extra Command Point (50)

Reveal hidden contents

- General
- 4 Warpfire Braziers
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Foetid Blades
Extra Command Point (50)

If I were you I’d drop both catapults and max out both units of 20 Plague monks each.

Glotking, might also be a great pick, since his commandability works on plague monks really well, and with his spell, a Unit of Monks will be sitting on 80wounds with a 6++ save.

48 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

If I were you I’d drop both catapults and max out both units of 20 Plague monks each.

Glotking, might also be a great pick, since his commandability works on plague monks really well, and with his spell, a Unit of Monks will be sitting on 80wounds with a 6++ save.

1 hour ago, Verminlord said:

You'll want to run death frenzy on Thanquol for pile in after death monks.

I'd also consider dropping the plague claws- they're extremely unreliable. Just take more monks

I'm not sure if staves are better than blades even with the extra reach

Thanks for the feedback I may save the claws for fluffy games then.

I have some questions;

So @Skreech Verminking with army building it's always said to be active in multiple phases. Is it a downside to not have any shooting even if it is inconsistent? (55% hit rate).

@Verminlord I'll change the spell that makes more sense if I'm running more monks. 

The only way to fit fit Glottkin is to sacrifice both claws and the battalion to get him in. Which does minimize the horde aspect of the army

- General
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
The Glottkin (380)
- Allies
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Foetid Blades
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 380 / 400
Wounds: 156

@Skreech VerminkingVerminking

- General
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers
Extra Command Point (50)
Warp Lightning Vortex (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 158

Edited by Blisterfeet
Added list

10 hours ago, Verminlord said:

9 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Or the person who had the first turn gets +2 to the roll, instead of winning on a higher or the same dice roll then his opponent.

Both reasonable suggestions.. I was having this discussion with my local competitive guys and they suggested the same things. Keeping CP is hard for some armies though (especially with all the things around that can steal\negate your CP or force you to use 2 like with Lumineth) and others (including us with a Warpseer) can just get more easily, giving them an advantage.

I'd say I probably prefer getting a + to the roll or make it somehow affect objectives. Perhaps you can't take any new objectives or the ones you have are worth nothing. That way you can still have an incentive to take a double and table someone, but they may have an extra turn of getting points with what they have left? Just some thoughts.

6 hours ago, Blisterfeet said:

it's always said to be active in multiple phases. Is it a downside to not have any shooting even if it is inconsistent? (55% hit rate).

I know you didn't ask me, but I just wanted to chime in for what it's worth.

That's our advantage as Skaven is that we can compete in each stage.. though you don't exactly have to, especially with pure Pestilens. That said, yeah Plagueclaws aren't great.. they're like the Mortek Crawlers in that they're very all or nothing except that the Crawlers will actually do something more often than not 😉. The issue isn't the 3\3\-2 profile so much as it's only 1 attack with a random d6\2d6 damage, so it's super swingy by comparison.

Also, if you're running more Monks then I would vouch for Staves. I think that mathhammer says Blades, but by a very marginal amount. You can easily get 30+ of them in range with the Staves which is also when the unit is hitting at it's best anyway. Monks aren't there for attrition, they're there to hit things.. so once they drop below 20-30 then the benefits of the Blades aren't as helpful anyway.

1 hour ago, firtahl said:

I've got a couple vermin lords to build. Any suggestions on which 2? I was thinking warpseer and warbringer.

Those would be the 2 I would go for. Warpseer can fit into anything you have while the Warbringer works well with lots of Clanrats\Stormvermin.

3 hours ago, firtahl said:

I've got a couple vermin lords to build. Any suggestions on which 2? I was thinking warpseer and warbringer.

Warpseer and warbringer are solid. If you're any good at magnetizing you could get skreech/warbringer/seer just by magnetizing the right arm options. Just pick your favorite horn option.

If you go that route I'd build deceiver as the second. Corruptor only if you're interested in pure pestilens.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gwendar said:

know you didn't ask me, but I just wanted to chime in for what it's worth.

That's our advantage as Skaven is that we can compete in each stage.. though you don't exactly have to, especially with pure Pestilens. That said, yeah Plagueclaws aren't great.. they're like the Mortek Crawlers in that they're very all or nothing except that the Crawlers will actually do something more often than not 😉. The issue isn't the 3\3\-2 profile so much as it's only 1 attack with a random d6\2d6 damage, so it's super swingy by comparison.

Also, if you're running more Monks then I would vouch for Staves. I think that mathhammer says Blades, but by a very marginal amount. You can easily get 30+ of them in range with the Staves which is also when the unit is hitting at it's best anyway. Monks aren't there for attrition, they're there to hit things.. so once they drop below 20-30 then the benefits of the Blades aren't as helpful anyway.

More the merrier when it comes to advice. I think I see the issue. I was using them on TTS to hit.objective sitting blobs and chip damage. Admittedly though the swingy nature can lead to frustrating times and for 300 points it's a very valid point to bring something more consistent.

It's a shame as the model is very cool. 

I made a list. Seems kinda fun, and possibly good? I'm not sure what do to with the last 120 points though. Warpfirethrower and a CP?
Or Cogs maybe? Soulsnare shackels?

Spoiler

Leaders
Arch-Warlock (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Overseer of Destruction
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (240)
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
Verminlord Warbringer (280)
- Artefact: Things-Bane

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Stormvermin (400)
- Halberd

Units
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Doomwheel (150)
1 x Doomwheel (150)

Total: 1880 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 156

9 hours ago, Verminlord said:

Warpseer and warbringer are solid. If you're any good at magnetizing you could get skreech/warbringer/seer just by magnetizing the right arm options. Just pick your favorite horn option.

If you go that route I'd build deceiver as the second. Corruptor only if you're interested in pure pestilens.

See my post (a while back now) where i magnetized the Warpseer / Skreech / Deciever. It's not too tricky.

I never considered the Corruptor because i don't play much Pestilens, but did i overlook the Warbringer ?? Maybe it's not too late to magnetise his weapon.

On 7/27/2020 at 5:19 AM, Gwendar said:

Next 2 up. Went 1-2 again unfortunately.. all explained in the reports. Needless to say I'm happy to be taking a break from Skaven (aside from 1 or so a week for the next tournament) and focusing on something that plays a bit differently like Tzeentch or Fyreslayers.

People seem excited about the 4 Doomwheel list so I'll probably be testing it out some this week.

thanks for the batreps! 

I think a doomwheel + WLC list may combo well, they aren't all clamouring for the same buffs that way

I think where im most concerned my skaven fall down is going up against other competently shooty lists, our shooting units apart from fiends just dont do attrition well as we know, have you played many shooty armies?

So after some thoughts I’ll be participating at an upcoming Tournament in Lausanne (switzerland) with this list:

Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
Warlock Bombardier (120)
- Artefact: Vial of the Fulminator  
Warlock Bombardier (120)
- General
Warlock Bombardier (120)

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade

Units
1 x Doomwheel (150)
1 x Doomwheel (150)
1 x Doomwheel (150)

Behemoths
Hell Pit Abomination (220)

Total: 1750 / 2000
Wounds: 171

not sure how it will do against Overlords, Tzeentch and Seraphons, but at least it has 3Doomwheels, so anything is possible.

And against most of the other players playing Nurgle and slave to darkness this might even be a kinda fun list,

considering that anything can happen.

• Like 1

Had some time to revisit my lists now that the dust has settled a bit. Very happy about the stormvermin decrease. I feel like our engineers had no reason to increase. They're so fragile, especially in the new shooting/magic meta.

List 1 is my pure glass cannon list. Min battleline and as much firepower as I can get. I could go with stormvermin instead as BL but then it starts to get really difficult to screen a t1 charge. I've run this against slaanesh wish good results. My biggest fear is other shooting armies.

Spoiler

Leaders
Warlock Bombardier (120)
- General
Warlock Engineer (110)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: Warp Lightning Shield
Warlock Engineer (110)

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
6 x Stormfiends (520)

Artillery
9 x Warplock Jezzails (420)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Wounds: 145

List 2 is all about flooding the board and playing the tempo game.  Not very punchy but tons of battleshock immune bodies. Warpgrinders are criminally underused imo. A unit of 40 clanrats and the SV will dig. I'll skitterleap the clawlord on the turn I want my stormvermin coming out and save CP for reroll charge and +1 attacks. Hopefully take out w/e horde killing unit or key hammer unit they have. The 40 clanrats digging could be used to screen those SV that just came out or wait until late game when my Frontline is starting to dwindle. If I get a verminlord from the bell ( maybe once every 4 games) I'll be summoning the warbringer for double death frenzy and the like. Movement trays are my friend with this many bodies. 🐀🐀🐀

Spoiler

Leaders
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
- Artefact: Skavenbrew
- Lore of Ruin: Skitterleap
Clawlord (100)
- Mighty Warlord Command Trait: Verminous Valour

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Stormvermin (400)
- Halberd

Units
1 x Warp-Grinder (80)
1 x Warp-Grinder (80)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Wounds: 237

Edited by Verminlord
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 7/26/2020 at 11:41 PM, Blisterfeet said:

Well this confirms 1 I need the book to remember all of these and 2 this army gonna hit the table for fun times! Thanks @Gwendar

Big help is the AoS reminders website if you are new. Best thing in warhammer right now!

Just enter all the units and abilities you're taking and it prints out a pdf for you with everything you need to remember per phase! 

https://aosreminders.com/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Big help is the AoS reminders website if you are new. Best thing in warhammer right now!

Just enter all the units and abilities you're taking and it prints out a pdf for you with everything you need to remember per phase! 

https://aosreminders.com/

Thanks Kramer, I do try and use that when I play online 😁 should probably use it on my phone too in real life.