The TGA Battle of the Grand Alliances.

Ben

I have a really cool idea for something we can all get together and do as a community on these forums but I need everyones help to make it happen. 

Introducing the Battle of The Grand Alliance's

Over the next few weeks we can all head over to our chosen subforum and crowdsource the best and most unbeatable army list imaginable for each of the 4 Grand Alliances.  Chaos, Death, Destruction and Order.

Once your chosen alliance has its champion, the lists can be played against each other by members of the community from all around the world and the battle reports posted back to these forums.  

After all the games have taken place, and the use has settled, one Alliance shall rule supreme and be rewarded with a make-over of that forum section.  

This will take a great effort and co-ordination but as we have lardy seen with the amazing process hosted on these forums so far, anything is possible when the community gets together. 

How Will It Work?

I have some ideas, but essentially its up to the community. I want to take the next week to discuss and tweek how this will pan out and set up a set of rules of engagement.

As a group we can post ideas in here and grow this to something that can be a lot of fun to be involved with.  

Building the lists

What I'm hoping to see from this is some in-depth discussions around the pros and cons of various builds and why they should be selected as a champion.  This will be a meaty topic for veterans to sink their teeth into and educational for newer players that want an insight into the intricacies of list building.  All this will be open on the forums so spying and counter intelligence might take place!  Your Alliance will have to build a list knowing that all your tactics and plans are known to all, and you will know all your opponents plans too.  

With a generous timeline we could even see lists being play tested and reported back on.  

Doing Battle. 

I don't yet know how to resolve a winner, 

4 Armies. 
6 Games.  

3 points for a major win.

But we could also look at having each match-up duplicated and taking the average result if it is played out multiple times around the world.

The Winner

The winner will be the hobby, and the community who get involved.  But one Alliance will rise above and be crowned the champion.  I will have a treat in store for that forum section on these boards.  

I have created the Alliance threads already and they are pinned and locked in each section.  Next weekend we will unlock them all and kick things off.  Until then lest work on the rules. 

thanks, 

Ben 

Very cool idea. Are we going to be working on Grand Alliance lists, or a faction specific list? So decide on the strongest faction and then build that. If it's GA lists it feels like Death might be at a disadvantage, as a *lot* of their core mechanics are tied in to their faction specific abilities.

I'm not sure on GA vs Faction.  lets have some discussions in here and decide. 

Does anyone have good ideas. 

My original thinking was to keep it to Grand Alliance and its a bit more of a leveller and lets everyone take part.  If you have no idea about a faction then its difficult to make a constructive contribution.  

A battle of the Grand Alliences would be cool, but i think it does make some things difficult.

I don't think there would be a single GA Death list on the same power level as any of their factions. The other GA's it is a little harder to say that fact as Order Soup has gone pretty well and Destruction doesn't have much in the way of other alliegence traits.

For Chaos any of the 3 battletome god armies is at an advantage over any other list so it makes it hard there as well.

So at the end of the day i think it should be the best list in each GA, Faction or not. Leaving it open gives you the best of each GA as some have had more love than others.

You could run a 2 dayer at whw 

Each faction with 4 lists voted for by the community 

1st day each alliance runs a mini tournament to decide their alliances champion 

2nd day the 4 champions play each other to decide the Grand Alliance champ and the remaining 12 play a mini tournament to decide eventual alliance rankings

I feel it would be best as Grand Alliance allegiances, rather than faction specific. The reason I say this is so the Battle of Grand Alliances doesn't turn into The Battle of Stormcast, Nurgle, GHoN, and, well, Destruction would still probably be the grand alliance. This would hopefully mean that everyone could have a say; I don't have a clue how to play Nurgle, never mind knowing how to build a list for them, but they're definitely more powerful than my Slaanesh army due to having a battletome thus I wouldn't be able to add much of value to the discussion.

I imagine Grand Alliances may lead to more interesting lists than just "take this allegiance because it's the best we have" as you could have a much wider selection of units. 

I think the challenge of going generic grand alliance is more exciting. And would lead to more sharing of knowledge and discussions. 

On the gaming side of things. If the goal is to get a single list per GA it's going to be hard for players to get a game in with that exact list. So maybe a side list system? Or allowing players their own lists but then it's also who's faction has the most active players vs which list wins. Just riffing a bit. 

If we wanted to take it maybe a step further and maybe a bit more complicated, maybe we could get to a "tournament" per realm. That might take us to something like 28 lists, one for each grand alliance for each realm ?

Not sure what are people's thought on that ! 

I wonder how this would work for destructions. I guess there are some synergies between normal orcs and ironjaws, and butchers can cast stuff on BCR.

Order is going to struggle a lot to pick one list though, ton of good abilities on a ton of units, many good battlelines, ok magic, cheap chaff. Should be interesting.

lots of great ideas here.  I thing Grand Alliance + Realm is a good way to go.

Lets not over complicate things, or forget that we are an international community!  A 2 dayer a warhammer world would be great but is not very accessible.   

Having thought about it a bit more, 

i think the easiest way would be to put GA against GA. Submit wins in a thread (with picture). Running for a month ? 

Rules being you have to use the grand alliance abilities. And maybe at least units from three different factions? 

Would be the easiest way I think.

optionally a public poll in advance to pick an alliance. And then divide the points with the players in that alliance to balance a skewing due to more players. 

Also seems a fun idea to have a bit of running up to it time for discussing cool combos etc in specific threads like you said. 

2 hours ago, Ben said:

I'm opening up the subform threads this weekend.  Do we have champions for each area to be the spokesperson?  

Ah, what will the champion/spokesperson be doing? Any suggestions how we determine that person on top of fighting to the death with rusty spoons?

Archived