Allegiance abilities not in GHB2018

jamierk

17 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

You need 0€ to start playing second edition. Core rules are free, warscrolls are free, point costs are free (thank scrollbuilder!). GW even helped us a great bit by putting nearly all of the matched play exclusive rules into the free core rules. The only rule you only get in the Handbook is that you dont get a new warlord once your original one died. 

Okay lets say you want to play with specific allegiance abilities. Great, your Battletome stays valid in this new edition. And now you dont need the core book for the Grand Alliances. 

AoS is expensive as you want it too. If you want to get every expansion GW puts out its going to be expensive. But thats up to you. 
You could easily cut down costs by sharing books. Make it so that you only need one copy of malign sorcery or the Handbook when playing. No reason that everybody needs to have one copy. 

Again, I am comparing the FULL rules experience of different games, which is comparable. Not just a small portion of AoS rules to the full games of other companies. The fact of the matter is that other companies offer their full game rules cheaper, and not cut into chunks, while at the same time being just as meaty in content.

I raised this on the 2e thread when they announced how they were splitting the rules and I wasn't happy. However, now it is out and I have the Core Book and GHB I'm less annoyed.

If you're trying to save money and play a battletome army - just get the battletome. The core rules, warscrolls, warscroll updates/erratas and points (via Warscroll Builder) are all free. You can probably get hold of battleplans and other odd bits by sharing books - we all need an opponent, what books do they have?

If you're going Grand Alliance then I'd recommend getting the Core Book - is pretty much a battletome for the 4 grand alliances with lore, alliagence abilities etc. 

Of course doing this means you won't have access to the new magic stuff but you still have some artefacts (either factor specific in the battletome or grand alliance in Core Book) and you can cast both your wizard specific spells as well as the generic ones. Aren't the warscrolls for the endless spells also free?

FWIW, I got both the Core Book and GHB from my local gaming store for £50 which I don't think is too bad. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve bought the Core Book, the GHB and the Malign Sorcery expansion and I think they are all great products - GW continue to make a great game.

My only gripe is that it looks a little messy - I play a bit of all three types of game, and I’ve got rules for them all spread across two books (three if you count MS, but that’s clearly an expansion) when they could all of easily been included in just one book that gets an annual update.

Some stuff is simply repeated from the Core Book to the GHB. It just makes the process of playing a little muddled.

Fluff and hobby in one book (updated every four or five years),  basic rules free online, expanded rules in one book (updated every year).

I’d still buy everything, it would just make it all a bit more cleaner and straightforward.

10 hours ago, Wraith01 said:

All the core rules are in the Core Rule book, so if you're a beginner or just want to play Open or Narrative games you don't need anything else. The Generals Handbook is geared more towards Matched play and includes most of the optional rules (Rules we mostly all use anyway).  So we have a core rulebook with all the essentials to start playing, and the GH for the most common advanced rules. Can't forget Malign Sorcery has it's own rulebook with all the new magic that we'll most probably be using all the time. So we kind of need 3 books to play AoS now but I don't mind and I think it's cool.

Advanced? matched play is the basic way to play. Plus my friend just told me that all the best artefacts for the new editions are placed in a third book. They more or less cut a single rule book in to 3.

So I have three armies khorne, stormcast, seraphon.

That's two older battletomes plus the new one (which will be awesome). To get the seraphon allegiances I need the GHB18 but sometimes I like to run a grand alliance order mixing the two so I need the core book.

I just think splitting lore from the core book and making it two would have been better. And for me it's not the cost I bought the entire realm gate wars after all.

16 hours ago, sorokyl said:

The core book is more than just lore.  They've said many times, anyone into this game will want that book. 

You don't need to buy a $50 book just to have the allegiance abilities though, they are the same in your 2017 book, or you can find it many places. 

nope, there is lot of change between 2017 version and the new one

9 hours ago, Johann said:

I would have preferred Core Book without fluff

You mean like the one that's free online from GW?

I really don't get the disappointment here. The launch package (product, live stream, lead up, etc.) was/is great and there are plenty of options to get the rules and warscrolls without all the optional stuff.

Every now and then, I feel sorry for GW.

And please, can we stop with with oh-so-clever BS of "Ao$" instead of "AoS?" It's freaking childish and petty.

11 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

You mean like the one that's free online from GW?

I really don't get the disappointment here. The launch package (product, live stream, lead up, etc.) was/is great and there are plenty of options to get the rules and warscrolls without all the optional stuff.

Every now and then, I feel sorry for GW.

And please, can we stop with with oh-so-clever BS of "Ao$" instead of "AoS?" It's freaking childish and petty.

Haha, huge typo... I wanted to write: core book with Fluff and core rules!

Sorry about that

Im not so happy with removing the Grand Alliance abilities. This was part of the GH 2017 and now feels like money grabbing.

Is there a way to download the core rules with Alliance abilities I have only found the full rule book for 45 euro's.

1 hour ago, Condottiero Magno said:

£50?!?

?

Is your LGS run by a character from a 1980s sitcom who swears something fell off the back of a lorry? ?

My LGS only offers products at RRP and the GW stores don't offer coupons like in the 90s...? With the way GDubs has a chokehold on distribution, prices on eBay aren't that different from retail.  

In the UK independent retailers sell GW stock for lower price (usually 10-20% lower). For example, Element Games have both the Core Book and GHB for less than I paid:

https://elementgames.co.uk/new-releases/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-book-english-

https://elementgames.co.uk/new-releases/age-of-sigmar-generals-handbook-2018-softback-english-

I'm not sure where you are and what deals are available, and of course it does suck that GW have split things up in a way that doesn't suit you. For some context though, when I was 11 and first got into Warhammer I had to get the starter set containing 2 armies I wasn't interested in order to get the core game rules and then the magic supplement to use any magic or artefacts. Also the Army Book to get the rules for the models I had. Now the core rules are free, the rules for the models/units are free and despite there being a magic supplement it is not essential in order to field wizards and use magic. 

21 hours ago, jamierk said:

On the plus side, at least we still have allegiance abilities, that really would have been bad. I should also add my Kudos to GW for a good price for GHB2018 in app, it was like $22aud, no where near full price.

Wowzer, good catch!  I just went and paid for the download after reading this, that is a real bargain.  I hadn't even looked at the download until then, assuming it would be too expensive to be worth it.

Whereabouts are you based by the way?

6 hours ago, Dongilles said:

Im not so happy with removing the Grand Alliance abilities. This was part of the GH 2017 and now feels like money grabbing.

Is there a way to download the core rules with Alliance abilities I have only found the full rule book for 45 euro's.

Inside the AoS Digital app there is an ebook store that will sell 'app locked' copies of the Core Rules and everything else for ~50% off the physical copy. e.g. in the US the Core Book is $60, and in the AoS app on their storefront it is $30.99 or ~8.00 off the digital price on WarhammerDigital.com, The GHB is similarly discounted to $14.99 from the $24.99 on Warhammerdigital.com 

Wow that was alot of salt about pricing.

Considering gw has been very open about the contents of the core book  (fluff, rules, grand alliance stuff), generals handbook (open war generator, narrative rules, apoc scale battles, alliegnece abilities for some armies, points) and the malign sorcery (magic rules, realm rules) why are people complaining about purchases?

You want to play grand alliance, core book and maybe malign sorcery, points you can another look to the azyr function (which yes, is buggy but has only been 2nd ed live since saturday), or warscroll builder (which will be updated). So you don't have to buy the generals handbook.

If you want to play a focused faction, either buy a battletome, or buy the generals handbook (whichever is really needed). For players of fireslayers, ironjaws and the like, there is little point in buying the battletome (yeah legit rules for some battalions) so again, why the complaining?

Seriously, it's not a cash grab model, and while other companies may do things differently  (in regards to pricing of rules, availibilty of options), the way gw is doing it isn't that bad

But battletomes are not enough, all the changes to points and summoning are in the general handbook, and the realms and relicts stuff is in the magic supplement. My army has 0 wizards, so I would have to buy the whole book just for 2-3 pages, which is the same with the GH handbook that has 2 pages of rules and 2 pages of points costs. And I still need the battle tome to play. GW effectivlly split a rules book in to 3 parts, and put two of those in high cost boxed sets. I don't really get the part when people say the rules are free. You can't play the game without points, battalions , relic rules etc the stuff GW makes free isn't even suited for a first learn to play game.

1 hour ago, adreal said:

You want to play grand alliance, core book and maybe malign sorcery, points you can another look to the azyr function (which yes, is buggy but has only been 2nd ed live since saturday), or warscroll builder (which will be updated). So you don't have to buy the generals handbook.

Somehow GW decided to use a very interesting exchange rate, making everything digital cost more then the paperback stuff. This one is strange,

Points changes are very easy to get (thanks to azyr and warscroll builder) so, no you don't need generals handbook for points, but it is easier to use right at the start (unless you play deepkin).

You can actually play the game with just the free rules, as points are easy to find, battalions are not the be all and end all and relics, while good, are not mandatory.

Now if you want to play hyper competitive, knife edge balance uber lists, then yeah, you will have to invest in more, same as with anything really, but to play a game, yeah everything else is just nice extras

+++MOD HAT+++

Locking this post as it's just become a nest of complaints from some people regarding pricing. 

It's pretty straightforward, if you don't like how much something costs - don't buy it, it's a choice and nobody is forcing you to.

Archived