Allegiance abilities not in GHB2018

jamierk

I might be missing something here, but there weren’t generic allegiance abilities in GHB2018 as there were in 2017 (ie for order, death, destruction and chaos). Does this mean mixed order armies for example have no artifacts etc or does the previous ones still apply? Sucks for all those factions who don’t get these freebies if that’s the case. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

thanks

Jamoe

28 minutes ago, chord said:

WTF.  Why did they split allegiance abilities across books?   I'm not paying money for the core book (not interested in that lore).  But would like the grand alliance allegiance abilities!

The core book is more than just lore.  They've said many times, anyone into this game will want that book. 

You don't need to buy a $50 book just to have the allegiance abilities though, they are the same in your 2017 book, or you can find it many places. 

37 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

The core book is more than just lore.  They've said many times, anyone into this game will want that book. 

You don't need to buy a $50 book just to have the allegiance abilities though, they are the same in your 2017 book, or you can find it many places. 

Glad to hear they are the same thanks

2 hours ago, sorokyl said:

[...]You don't need to buy a $50 book just to have the allegiance abilities though, they are the same in your 2017 book, or you can find it many places. 

They’re actually not the same as the 2017 GHB.

Theyre pretty close. But they aren’t all the same.

1 hour ago, The Nameless One said:

I’m slightly disappointed that GW decided to split rules across two books.

Everything looks awesome, but it could have been much clearer and cleaner if they’d kept the Core Book for lore and hobby, and the GHB for rules.

I agree, the matched play section has you role to determine the battle plan and references ones in the core book.

definitely feels like they have set things up to "encourage" players to buy both

All the core rules are in the Core Rule book, so if you're a beginner or just want to play Open or Narrative games you don't need anything else. The Generals Handbook is geared more towards Matched play and includes most of the optional rules (Rules we mostly all use anyway).  So we have a core rulebook with all the essentials to start playing, and the GH for the most common advanced rules. Can't forget Malign Sorcery has it's own rulebook with all the new magic that we'll most probably be using all the time. So we kind of need 3 books to play AoS now but I don't mind and I think it's cool.

On the plus side, at least we still have allegiance abilities, that really would have been bad. I should also add my Kudos to GW for a good price for GHB2018 in app, it was like $22aud, no where near full price.

1 hour ago, Condottiero Magno said:

Due to my collection, I play generic Order, so was planning on getting the GH2018 in a few months and maybe MS next year, but WTH!!!

So much for the Rountree era...

An hundred seventy Dollars and $10.62 sales tax ? and two of the three books will be invalidated in three years, if AoS 1.0 is an indicator. ? I guess GDubs wasn't making enough money with the overrated figures...

What happens if one were to use the MP points from 2018 and the 2017 Allegiance Abilities, despite the differences? It's not as if generic Order had anything spectacular going for it, like the revamped  Empire detachment rules...

I notice the Open War cards are still available, so these haven't been invalidated?

Just to add salt. You kinda also need the Malign Sorcery book as well even if you don't cast spells as it gives your army access to a huge number of new Relics/Weapons.

How much do you honestly expect a business to hand or for free?  They give out the core rules and all of the basic warscrolls for free.  That is enough to push models around the table and have a fun time.  If you want to play with the full set of fun rules or matched play then they expect you to pay for it.  Seems like a perfectly fine proposition to me.

16 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

How much do you honestly expect a business to hand or for free?  They give out the core rules and all of the basic warscrolls for free.  That is enough to push models around the table and have a fun time.  If you want to play with the full set of fun rules or matched play then they expect you to pay for it.  Seems like a perfectly fine proposition to me.

I don't mind having to buy a rule book. I do mind having to buy 4 to play a 1 faction army. 

I'm disappointed in a few of these responses. GW gives people everything the asked for, and a whole lot more. It takes a lot of work to do that, and expecting writers, artists, and designers to give it all away for free is beyond silly. They need to get paid.

Tbf, other companies much smaller and less capable than GW have been able to do complex full game overhauls at much lower cost. Malifaux for example when it switched from 1E to 2E required only $40 for the big rule book (if you wanted fluff and the full rules for every model in the game at that time), or $15 if you just wanted the full game rules, plus an additional $7 per faction (of which there were only 7) for a deck of updated rule cards for all your models. Minimum cost was therefore $23 if you just wanted rules and only played one of the 7 factions. Max was $89 if you played absolutely everything and wanted all the bells and whistles. Privateer has a similar pricing structure.

I don't think people are wanting free. But the $170 GW is charging is VERY steep just to get the full rules experience when compared to just about every other company out there that I can think of.

35 minutes ago, MacDuff said:

I'm disappointed in a few of these responses. GW gives people everything the asked for, and a whole lot more. It takes a lot of work to do that, and expecting writers, artists, and designers to give it all away for free is beyond silly. They need to get paid.

It’s just not handled very well, in every gaming group, WhatsAppgroup or forum people ask, what do I need what publication for -splitting rules in 3-4 books (Core Book, GHB, Malign Sorcery and Battletome) is just annoying.

from my perspective I would have preferred Core Book without fluff and core rules and realm rules and the rest (excluded stuff from Battletome) in the GHB.

6 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

Tbf, other companies much smaller and less capable than GW have been able to do complex full game overhauls at much lower cost. Malifaux for example when it switched from 1E to 2E required only $40 for the big rule book (if you wanted fluff and the full rules for every model in the game at that time), or $15 if you just wanted the full game rules, plus an additional $7 per faction (of which there were only 7) for a deck of updated rule cards for all your models. Minimum cost was therefore $23 if you just wanted rules and only played one of the 7 factions. Max was $89 if you played absolutely everything and wanted all the bells and whistles. Privateer has a similar pricing structure.

I don't think people are wanting free. But the $170 GW is charging is VERY steep just to get the full rules experience when compared to just about every other company out there that I can think of.

You need 0€ to start playing second edition. Core rules are free, warscrolls are free, point costs are free (thank scrollbuilder!). GW even helped us a great bit by putting nearly all of the matched play exclusive rules into the free core rules. The only rule you only get in the Handbook is that you dont get a new warlord once your original one died. 

Okay lets say you want to play with specific allegiance abilities. Great, your Battletome stays valid in this new edition. And now you dont need the core book for the Grand Alliances. 

AoS is expensive as you want it too. If you want to get every expansion GW puts out its going to be expensive. But thats up to you. 
You could easily cut down costs by sharing books. Make it so that you only need one copy of malign sorcery or the Handbook when playing. No reason that everybody needs to have one copy. 

Archived