AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 7/24/2019 at 12:18 AM, martinwolf said:

I just hope they announce which Order Units will go very soon because currently you can't really buy anything aelves, human or disposessed related. I'll paint up my remaining 5 wild riders and then just wait and paint some Sylvaneth until we know more.

Even thought the Glade Guard kit/sculpts are really old, I can't really imagine the unit leaving AoS. It is THE (wood) elf archer type unit. I'd rather see Sisters of the Watch go. They just don't fit into the wood elf wanderers theme in my opinion. Giving them the hooded heads from Glade Guards made it better, but still...

If we lose the sisters that's a lot of damage we lose. I dont think we will lose anything from the wanderer side. All of them go with the battalion so losing just one will throw everything off.

Started playing warhammer for the first time last year and started with stormcast eternals. I looove elves though and the wonderers really catch my eye! I know in AOS there is literally nothing but pitched battle profiles and the azyr cards for them. Are we hoping they are apart of the free cities book? Or will they be apart of a mass aelf book? I really want to get into this army but not if we have no clue where they are going...

On 7/30/2019 at 8:22 PM, samkrow76 said:

Honest question with list building, if I am going to be doing the Pathfinder battalion then how many Eternal Guard should I have? 

It's really up to you. Personnally I take 2 units of 20 to fill the battleline and unit requirement of the battalion. Then I try and pour the rest of my points into SotW and Waywatchers.

4 hours ago, Talunus said:

Started playing warhammer for the first time last year and started with stormcast eternals. I looove elves though and the wonderers really catch my eye! I know in AOS there is literally nothing but pitched battle profiles and the azyr cards for them. Are we hoping they are apart of the free cities book? Or will they be apart of a mass aelf book? I really want to get into this army but not if we have no clue where they are going...

At the moment we have no clue where we are going.

Wanderers are a part of 2 cities of Sigmar so far, the Living City and Greywater Fastness. The Living City is might be pretty good (but current it only really works with a heavy sylvaneth force as you need wyldwoods).

(Edit actually 3 cities forgotten about the all encompassing one)

The new underworlds features what looks like wanderers (to my eye) in it, but who knows what that means? 

Personnally I'm hoping wanderers don't feature heavily in the Cities of Sigmar book, but the underworlds release comes with a new wanderers battletome (and some new large monster / missle cav models)

Edited by GM_Monkey

4 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

It's really up to you. Personnally I take 2 units of 20 to fill the battleline and unit requirement of the battalion. Then I try and pour the rest of my points into SotW and Waywatchers.

Can you post your list? 

How do you find SoW? in the sense that if you start first you wont be able to use the double shot in the first turn. On top of this, you lose range and the rend 3 option on arrows.

Edited by Raffonerd

54 minutes ago, Raffonerd said:

Can you post your list? 

How do you find SoW? in the sense that if you start first you wont be able to use the double shot in the first turn. On top of this, you lose range and the rend 3 option on arrows.

Allegiance: Wanderers
Nomad Prince (80)
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
Waywatcher (120)
Waywatcher (120)
Wayfinder (80)
20 x Eternal Guard (140)
20 x Eternal Guard (140)
30 x Glade Guard (360)
30 x Sisters of the Watch (480)
5 x Wild Riders (100)
5 x Wild Riders (100)
Waystone Pathfinders (160)
Malevolent Maelstrom (10)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 145

jumping the SotW around the field helps out, moving the GG normally and just trying to hold out with the eternal guard.

4 minutes ago, GM_Monkey said:

So many questions with this. Will the old stuff go into a new battletome, like the Daughter of Khaine?

A DoK Style update is most likely. Kurnothi are the Scathborn of the new Wanderers faction while the old models represent the core of ordinary aelfs. 

I also like the name. This implies that Kurnoth will play a role. Maybe as new centerpiece? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Red King said:

Feel like it's important to not get everyones hopes up. There is no confirmation that this is part of the wanderers, or that wanderers will be a part of whatever this is. (or that this warband will even lead to anything in AoS)

• Like 1

I think this is going to be (eventually) a whole new faction, like Idoneth, rather than a DoK style mix with Wanderers.  Wanderers will be part of Cities of Sigmar and that is where they will remain.  In the lore there may well be a link to Wanderers in that they may be old Wood Aelf souls rescued from Slaanesh or the descendants of Wanderers that did not retreat to Azyr during the Age of Chaos, but the closest we'll get to mixing them is through the allies rules.

Personally, I don't mind if this is what happens.  Old Wanderers are getting a long term place in the game and there'll be a made-for-AOS new Wanderers in the form of the Kurnothi.  When you think that we could have ended up with neither, it's a pretty good outcome.

Edited by Aelfric
  • Like 5

@Aelfric, I think you're right. I stopped by to see what everyone was saying, but I think the Kurnothi will be a new faction wholly separate from Wanderers. Otherwise I don't think Wanderers would have been included in the Cities book, which they clearly are from pictures we've seen.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

Wanderers will be part of Cities of Sigmar and that is where they will remain.

Just now, Yeled said:

Otherwise I don't think Wanderers would have been included in the Cities book, which they clearly are from pictures we've seen.

I think y'all may very well be right, but consider this: the fact that the Wanderers are confirmed to be in the Cities book does not preclude them from being included in another book. What if Cities was a stop gap to give a lot of under-supported models some love and then Wanderers and Dispossessed (et al) got their own thing later? I mean, many chaos factions have options to use their models in different ways under different allegiances and we know the Cities book will basically be doing just that for Stormcast Eternals - giving SCE players effectively a new allegiance option by letting them use their existing armies/models as a Hammerhal or Anvilgard army for example. Maybe Wanderer units could be used in a Kurnothi army in a similar way - if we do get a Kurnothi battletome. I'm not sure this is likely per se, but I do see it as a distinct possibility. 

3 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I see cities of Sigmar the same way as Lethis. I mean a lot of the death units are in multiple books so no reason we should be stuck in the city with our WANDERERS lol

Exactly! I've been ninja'd!

21 minutes ago, awcamawn said:

I think y'all may very well be right, but consider this: the fact that the Wanderers are confirmed to be in the Cities book does not preclude them from being included in another book. What if Cities was a stop gap to give a lot of under-supported models some love and then Wanderers and Dispossessed (et al) got their own thing later? I mean, many chaos factions have options to use their models in different ways under different allegiances and we know the Cities book will basically be doing just that for Stormcast Eternals - giving SCE players effectively a new allegiance option by letting them use their existing armies/models as a Hammerhal or Anvilgard army for example. Maybe Wanderer units could be used in a Kurnothi army in a similar way - if we do get a Kurnothi battletome. I'm not sure this is likely per se, but I do see it as a distinct possibility. 

Exactly! I've been ninja'd!

11 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Ah I said it first but you said it better. I forgot about chaos' grabbag approach and Stormcast being in the cities of Sigmar book itself and I GUARANTEE they'll have a new book soon.

It's certainly possible. I don't think we have any way of knowing and it could go either way.

Maybe the better question is this: If Wanderers are ultimately folded into the Kurnothi, does that make Wanderer players happy? Does that fulfill our wishes in terms of the Wanderer faction? 

For me I'm not sure yet. To be honest I love witch aelves and like the Daughters of Khaine quite a lot. But the faction doesn't feel quite aelfy to me anymore. Not enough to make me want to grab them. I feel a little bit the same about the Kurnothi. I like them and think they are very AoS appropriate, but I'm not sure satyr/fawn/centaurs do it for me in terms of aelves I actually want to run. I've no complaints about their existence and can't wait to see more, but they don't make me all giddy with excitement.

That said I do approve of them conceptually. I also like that we are kinda winding up with different aelves for each realm. Presumably we'll have shadow aelves for Uglu and light aelves for Hysh, the Kurnothi for Gur, and let's face it the Sylvaneth are kinda the aelves of ghyran.  And of course the idoneth and the daughters and the Cities Aelves. It's kinda interesting all the aelven cultures they are creating. 

I wish they would do it for humans, too.

• Like 2