AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

18 minutes ago, SireScott said:

Thanks Gecktron, my main confusion is the Iron Sky Squadron mentioned that they could disembark before or after flying high, from the Garrison rules I cant quite see the significance of that.

The Garrison rules on the ships specify that you can't embark/disembark after the ship moved or used fly high

1 minute ago, Aryann said:

Can you fly high with an ironclad with 10 arkanauts in garrison 9" away from the enemy and shoot with them afterwards?

Yes, but actually no. You can, but they changed the arkanaut pistols range to be 9", so you can only shoot with special weapons or with thunderers

6 minutes ago, Allornone said:

Yes, but actually no. You can, but they changed the arkanaut pistols range to be 9", so you can only shoot with special weapons or with thunderers

If I am away 9" from enemy unit I can't shoot it with a 9" range weapon? In my understanding they are just the right distance away to do that.

14 minutes ago, Dongilles said:

So now the new rules are out, what would be the best starting point for a new player?
The start collecting box of the new aether war box half?

I think you can't go wrong either way. Both now have battleline which is great, and was one of the main weaknesses of them before. 

• Like 1

Going to take a while to digest all these changes, but my main takeaway is that list building is going to have to start from scratch.

Arco blobs are now only notable for being a cheap battleline unit with a 4+ save, offensively they are basically neutered. Best used for taking objectives probably, but you can only pack so many into a ship. OTOH, even just a 10 man garrisoned unit is a 3+, -1 to hit annoyance tossing out a constant flurry of weak attacks at anyone trying to take down your ironclad or Frigate. Given that Thunderers are very limited when garrisoned I think they will mostly be used just to sit in ships and be annoying until you need them to take an objective.

Thunderers have some real potential as shooting units, but you have to risk dropping them from the ships for full effectiveness. They're not as fragile as they used to be, but still you're going to want to screen them with something.

Endrinriggers are in an odd spot, price down, utility increased quite a bit with repair changes, but without the old khemist buff the chainsaws are just not that big a deal anymore. I say weird, because they didn't buff Skywarden's melee either, so they're still arguably better in close than Wardens, but not good enough to use as a dedicated hammer I don't think.

Skywardens got their detonation charges buffed, so I think probably they're still best used as ranged skirmishers unless you are seriously doubling down on the one city that gives +1/+1 when charging.

Ship changes are huge, and I think list building will be tailored around them for the most part. Even Gunhaulers are a pretty solid support piece, probably.

Khemist is not useless, but also not a must take by any means.

New Endrinrigger looks super-great, so that'll make everyone happy when he doesn't get released for a year+.

Edited by madmac
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Phasteon said:

Man, Arkanauts in boats will be hard to remove, 3+ Save thanks to cover, -1 to hit them and just 90 points. You can hold them back for later in the game when the objectives are cleared and then easily hold them. 

Also Thunderers same stats but with 2 wounds. 

And thats just the tip of the iceberg, this Tome will be legit S tier 👌🏻 finally. 

They useless now. You still can't score with them inside the ship. 

Just now, cofaxest said:

They useless now. You still can't score with them inside the ship. 

I'm not seeing this from the rules.  ManReadsBook seems to think so.  But Garrison rules say you measure from the garrison they're in.  So rules-as-written means you measure from the objective to the ship, and then the things inside the ship count as within too because all measurements are from the ship.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, crkhobbit said:

I'm not seeing this from the rules.  ManReadsBook seems to think so.  But Garrison rules say you measure from the garrison they're in.  So rules-as-written means you measure from the objective to the ship, and then the things inside the ship count as within too because all measurements are from the ship.

Units inside garrison dont score

1 minute ago, crkhobbit said:

It's too much guessing I think. We need clarification about that.

1 minute ago, cofaxest said:

It's too much guessing I think. We need clarification about that.

I'm not guessing.  I'm reading the rules.  And the rules say all measurements for the unit are made from the garrison.

So if you're measuring to see if they're within range of the objective, you measure to the garrison.  That's pretty clear.

2 minutes ago, crkhobbit said:

I'm not guessing.  I'm reading the rules.  And the rules say all measurements for the unit are made from the garrison.

So if you're measuring to see if they're within range of the objective, you measure to the garrison.  That's pretty clear.

Ok so you count them as 1 model then?

Just watched the book review and interesting changes. 

I'm happy to see all the ships get major buffs on offence and defence. Ark company just as cheap chaff is fine for me as I didn’t like big blobs anyway. 

Thunderers not sure on as 2 wounds but their damage output stayed the same so now you just get less damage per point due to 30 point increase. 

I do think the gold rule will be key especially of course the re roll saves with most of the army having good saves now. 

Im a bit sad panda most of the skirmish type rules went away but we get teleport and garrison on ships so maybe keeping the Thunderers rule and fight last bombs would have been too much. 

excited for the changes and my 1700 odd points of ships will be coming out to play. 

If the model is in the garrison, you measure to the garrison to determine it's range and visibility.  So for each model that's in the garrison, you can check range to the objective from the garrison.

So if you have 10 arkanaughts inside an Ironclad that's sitting on an objective, each of those 10 arkanaughts would count as being within 6" of the objective because the garrison rule says to determine range for them by measuring to/from the garrison.

Nothing implies counting them as 1 model.

2 hours ago, Azamar said:

Holy moly the ironclad sounds

slightly disappointed that two battleline if choices are linked to the new hero, but sone options are better than none at all, and at least arkanauts are cheaper as well.  

There are plenty of different battle line options not linked to a hero model, don't worry.

If you add up all the "conditional" battle line options, KO have more than Stormcast!