AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hi all,

I regularly play against a friend of mine who is living rather far away from my home. Therefore I like to have easy to transport armies to face him. Now I was thinking about some Kharadron Overlords as a new project due to the fact that I really love the miniatures.

So let´s say I´m heading towards a 1250 points Kharadron Force without any ships (due to transport reasons) – what would it look like? What would you include in such an army?

My first idea is a force based on Endrinriggers and Thunderers in Barak Nar to make the Thunderers battleline. For some added manoeuvrability I thought about a Spell in a Bottle (Soulscream Bridge), though I´m not really sure whether it´s worth it or not. Something like

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords
- Sky Port: Barak Nar

Leaders
Arkanaut Admiral (120)  => I pretty much like the concept / model
- General
Aether-Khemist (90)
- Artefact: Spell in a Bottle

Battleline
10 x Grundstok Thunderers (240)
10 x Grundstok Thunderers (240)

Units
6 x Endrinriggers (200)
6 x Endrinriggers (200)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Soulscream Bridge (100)

Total: 1190 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 75

Another idea is to run a Barak Thryng force, because I already own some Fyreslayers. Therfore I could include a unit of Hearthguard Berzerkers as well as a Runesmiter for some deepstrike possibilities. Something like:

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords
- Sky Port: Barak Thryng

Leaders
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Runic Iron
Endrinmaster with Dirigible Suit (190)
- General

Battleline
3 x Endrinriggers (100)
6 x Endrinriggers (200)
3 x Endrinriggers (100)

Units
10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (240)
- Broadaxes
5 x Grundstok Thunderers (120)
5 x Grundstok Thunderers (120)

Total: 1190 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 75

-------------------------------------------

One thing I ask myself is: How valuable are Arkanaut Company? Should I replace 5 Thunderers and the free points to get 20 Arkanaut company?

Edited by Hannibal

On 4/24/2021 at 1:23 PM, SirSalabean said:

Hey short people, stuck up knife ears here. I’m reading about the sky dwarves and I’m thinking of starting a small army of them. What’s the best way to start? I have seen the battleforce, start collecting, and broken realms box available at my flgs but I’m honestly clueless 

It's a bit hard to say what will be good in Kharadron on the longer term, with an edition coming out soon. Which is nice, you can start building and painting what you want!

First, the Thundrik's Profiteers set is brilliant, for the price of a Khemist, you get a Khemist, two Arkanauts, a Thunderer and a balloon boy. It's a good taste of what the faction gives you, with a few models to test your paint schemes.

I'd say the Battleforce if you can get it.  It gives you a big ship, small ship, balloon dwarves, Arkanauts and an Admiral. Where Thundrik's is a teaser, this is more functional..

Expanding from that, either the Broken Realms (if you like balloons more) or the Start Collecting (if you like infantry and boats more).

8 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

It's a bit hard to say what will be good in Kharadron on the longer term, with an edition coming out soon. Which is nice, you can start building and painting what you want!

First, the Thundrik's Profiteers set is brilliant, for the price of a Khemist, you get a Khemist, two Arkanauts, a Thunderer and a balloon boy. It's a good taste of what the faction gives you, with a few models to test your paint schemes.

I'd say the Battleforce if you can get it.  It gives you a big ship, small ship, balloon dwarves, Arkanauts and an Admiral. Where Thundrik's is a teaser, this is more functional..

Expanding from that, either the Broken Realms (if you like balloons more) or the Start Collecting (if you like infantry and boats more).

Hi thank you! I picked up the 2020 force with the two small ships, a medium one, 6 ballon people, and a hero. I also got arkanauts, a start collecting and the broken realms set. 

1 hour ago, SirSalabean said:

Hi thank you! I picked up the 2020 force with the two small ships, a medium one, 6 ballon people, and a hero. I also got arkanauts, a start collecting and the broken realms set. 

You've made quite a start!

You then have 2*10 Arkanauts 180,

5 Thunderers 120,

5*3 endrinriggers/skywardens 500,

3*Gunhauler 390

Frigate 250

Admiral 110(?)

Endrinmaster foot 100

Endrinmaster balloon 220

1870 points.

You have enough battleline in Zilfin, Nar, Urbaz and if one of the Endrinmasters is general.

You also have a hidden hero. The dude in the top of the frigate is a Navigator (100).

This means you're just "missing" an Ironclad, Khemist and Brokk.

I'd make a few 1000 points lists, and see what style of play you like. Then add the few items you'd need to focus on that playstyle.

Additions you may not think of are the Dwarf Giants Blood Bowl team, that (if you can source/kitbash/print a few backpacks) gives you alternate and dynamic sculpts for relatively cheap, and the aforementioned Thundrik's profiteers.

On 4/26/2021 at 12:32 AM, zilberfrid said:

You've made quite a start!

You then have 2*10 Arkanauts 180,

5 Thunderers 120,

5*3 endrinriggers/skywardens 500,

3*Gunhauler 390

Frigate 250

Admiral 110(?)

Endrinmaster foot 100

Endrinmaster balloon 220

1870 points.

You have enough battleline in Zilfin, Nar, Urbaz and if one of the Endrinmasters is general.

You also have a hidden hero. The dude in the top of the frigate is a Navigator (100).

This means you're just "missing" an Ironclad, Khemist and Brokk.

I'd make a few 1000 points lists, and see what style of play you like. Then add the few items you'd need to focus on that playstyle.

Additions you may not think of are the Dwarf Giants Blood Bowl team, that (if you can source/kitbash/print a few backpacks) gives you alternate and dynamic sculpts for relatively cheap, and the aforementioned Thundrik's profiteers.

Oh no it’s the most recent battleforce that doesn’t have the arkanauts but has Brok in. 

I went to my Warhammer store and ordered the admiral, navigator, then the thundriks profiteers for the khamist. I also bought an iron clad lol 

• LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, SirSalabean said:

Oh no it’s the most recent battleforce that doesn’t have the arkanauts but has Brok in. 

I went to my Warhammer store and ordered the admiral, navigator, then the thundriks profiteers for the khamist. I also bought an iron clad lol 

You now have every warscroll*!

Brokk is such a unit, I really want that guy.

Start out with a few Arkanauts (regular ones, Thundrik's are nice alternate sculpts), paint 'em up and see what you like. Then try a balloon to see whether that paint scheme works on that.

That should translate to ships.

I recommend a cheap airbrush, there's a lot of metal, and Vallejo's Metal Air, as wel as their regular model colour Gunmetal Blue are brilliant through that.

*Except the Cursed City one, but it's best to forget Cursed City ever almost happened.

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

You now have every warscroll*!

Brokk is such a unit, I really want that guy.

Start out with a few Arkanauts (regular ones, Thundrik's are nice alternate sculpts), paint 'em up and see what you like. Then try a balloon to see whether that paint scheme works on that.

That should translate to ships.

I recommend a cheap airbrush, there's a lot of metal, and Vallejo's Metal Air, as wel as their regular model colour Gunmetal Blue are brilliant through that.

*Except the Cursed City one, but it's best to forget Cursed City ever almost happened.

Haha I even picked up the cursed city one separate from the box as it was on eBay and less than £10 so I though when I shouldn’t but why not. 

I have an airbrush so that will be really handy, I’m not sure I’m a colour scheme yet though, I want to put more effort than usual into these guys as there’s less of them 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SirSalabean said:

Haha I even picked up the cursed city one separate from the box as it was on eBay and less than £10 so I though when I shouldn’t but why not. 

I have an airbrush so that will be really handy, I’m not sure I’m a colour scheme yet though, I want to put more effort than usual into these guys as there’s less of them 

That's a good catch!

I don't have the answers for a good colourscheme. I plan to strip all of my dudes and do them again, now with the rich gunmetal blue as a base colour.

• 3 weeks later...

There is something about the recent sleuth of updates for KO in BR:Belakor that gives me an impression that they are about to do away with Fly High. Just my gut instinct. Fly High is often regarded as "broken" by some players (who play factions that can stack effects on effects with magic, natural stats, battalion benefits and so forth with almost no expiry but hey, they don't get Fly High) and to offset this, my guess is that they are giving increased movement benefits like in the Aether-Runners or the Navigator's new ability Ride The Storm so that KO still has some mobility. Take away Fly High, keep "breeze" around but as a free hero phase move, have Mhonar be the only ones that can deepstrike but only at the end of the Movement phase...etc. I wouldn't like it but its not likely they are going to release any new models to offset this.

That said, I should probably try and cheese this out as much as possible. Not sure if this has been asked but if I were to run Chromatic Cogs with Spell in a Bottle, An Ironclad with a Great Skyhook and 'Dealbreaker' as my endrinwork, I get a 4+ to the charge roll correct? Does that mean I also get to roll 4 more dice when doing the Dealbreaker damage?

8 minutes ago, Badlander86 said:

There is something about the recent sleuth of updates for KO in BR:Belakor that gives me an impression that they are about to do away with Fly High. Just my gut instinct. Fly High is often regarded as "broken" by some players (who play factions that can stack effects on effects with magic, natural stats, battalion benefits and so forth with almost no expiry but hey, they don't get Fly High) and to offset this, my guess is that they are giving increased movement benefits like in the Aether-Runners or the Navigator's new ability Ride The Storm so that KO still has some mobility. Take away Fly High, keep "breeze" around but as a free hero phase move, have Mhonar be the only ones that can deepstrike but only at the end of the Movement phase...etc. I wouldn't like it but its not likely they are going to release any new models to offset this.

That said, I should probably try and cheese this out as much as possible. Not sure if this has been asked but if I were to run Chromatic Cogs with Spell in a Bottle, An Ironclad with a Great Skyhook and 'Dealbreaker' as my endrinwork, I get a 4+ to the charge roll correct? Does that mean I also get to roll 4 more dice when doing the Dealbreaker damage?

If anything, spell in a bottle could be changed/removed.

Fly High is on the warscrolls, that's more work to change.

I think you do get the total amount on your charge roll, so yes.

I don't have high hopes for 3. If even zombies have mw's on 6 to hit, high saves and -1 to hits don't matter because mortal wound spam gets worse, not better.

I imagine fly high goes away or changes radically in the next battletome, but there really isn't anything you can do with it now unless your goal is literally to just make KO unplayable. Which, I mean, they did this before, so not impossible, but I'd like to think GW doesn't have that specific a hate ******.

@Badlander86  I had the same impression. When GW anounced 3.0, Phill Kelly talked about new type of "reactions" to do in  enemy phases to give the player more things to do instead of waiting for the enemy to finish his/her round. That could change a bit the shooting phase...

There is a rumor about generic CA. Instead of giving rerolls of 1 to hit, they give +1hit.  That could give us some reliable shooting.

I can't wait for 3.0!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Woof. All that Monster Love. And news of a smaller table size for standard games. AoS 3.0 doesn't seem to be helping us except for changes to Look Out Sir being limited to Heroes with less than 10 wounds. Helps clarify the whole issue with some large hero models with no behemoth/monster keywords which helps in a small way.

Any hopes from you guys? Sounds like we may be getting a Duardin Battletome soon which sounds like a Cities of Sigmar/Legions of Nagash/Orruk Wartribes type soup battletome

44 minutes ago, Badlander86 said:

Woof. All that Monster Love. And news of a smaller table size for standard games. AoS 3.0 doesn't seem to be helping us except for changes to Look Out Sir being limited to Heroes with less than 10 wounds. Helps clarify the whole issue with some large hero models with no behemoth/monster keywords which helps in a small way.

Any hopes from you guys? Sounds like we may be getting a Duardin Battletome soon which sounds like a Cities of Sigmar/Legions of Nagash/Orruk Wartribes type soup battletome

We need to see the whole picture. There are a lot of things going on:

• There is a rumor about monsters going up in points (remember that GHB2021 will follow 3.0)
  • CA reactions can change everything (and a free shooting phase for us...)
  • We don't know how impactful will Core Batallions be and maybe it will change the whole structure to how to build lists.

Btw, I'm really hyped for 3.0, but worried about KOs. I don't like to be souped, I want more lore, more KO sub-themes, more KO miniatures, more pictures/illustrations/concept arts, more timelines and unique characters, etc... and I'm not sure that a soup'd battletome will give me that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 6/4/2021 at 7:57 AM, Beliman said:

• There is a rumor about monsters going up in points (remember that GHB2021 will follow 3.0)
  • We don't know how impactful will Core Batallions be and maybe it will change the whole structure to how to build lists.

Btw, I'm really hyped for 3.0, but worried about KOs. I don't like to be souped, I want more lore, more KO sub-themes, more KO miniatures, more pictures/illustrations/concept arts, more timelines and unique characters, etc... and I'm not sure that a soup'd battletome will give me that. 

Duardin in 2022: 

Grungni

3x 10 Arkanauts

1x 20 Hearthguard Berzerkers

1x Ironclad 

• Sad 1

On 6/4/2021 at 7:57 AM, Beliman said:

I really hope that GW does not forget to give the WARMACHINE keyword some payoffs after giving out goodies to HEROES and MONSTERS.

On the topic of souping: I still don't think that the combined tome rumours are super credible. As far as I recall, they were started by that really dubious reddit post and the only other point of support is GW mentioning off hand that Fyreslayers and Kharadron seem to be getting along better recently.

This edition will probably do for Warclans what the last edition did for LoN: Give us a big ork soup book with three factions to start out, then spin off those factions to be their own armies again over the course of three years. I don't know if the release schedule has room to do the same for dwarves, as well.

17 hours ago, Phasteon said:

Duardin in 2022: 

Grungni

3x 10 Arkanauts

1x 20 Hearthguard Berzerkers

1x Ironclad 

If there is going to be a soup, I demand Fyreslayer drop teams that deal damage to nearby units without flying after disembarking in a superhero landing pose, and don't have a chance to die when the mothership dies (they would be used to leap from the ship).

32 minutes ago, cofaxest said:

It's so funny how GW is showing new cool 3ed rules for monsters, magic and priests... and KO have neither of them xD

It seems that we can still use the Spell in the Bottle and control our Predatory Endless Spell. WLV is not a Predatory Endless Spell, maybe we will have to look for other ones.

Spoiler

AoSDaily EndlessSpells Jun7 Boxout1

Btw, looking at the new Unit Coherency rules, maybe we are going to see more mixed-weapon units of endrinriggers? Melee Skywardens could have an slighty buff with their 2" range.

Spoiler

AoSFF Stormcast Jun7 Boxout1

Can't wait to see more!

Edited by Beliman

15 minutes ago, Beliman said:

It seems that we can still use the Spell in the Bottle and control our Predatory Endless Spell. WLV is not a Predatory Endless Spell, maybe we will have to look for other ones.

Hide contents

AoSDaily EndlessSpells Jun7 Boxout1

Btw, looking at the new Unit Coherency rules, maybe we are going to see more mixed-weapon units of endrinriggers? Melee Skywardens could have an slighty buff with their 2" range.

Hide contents

AoSFF Stormcast Jun7 Boxout1

Can't wait to see more!

I feel like reactions could be the most influential thing for us if we will consider that aether gold will not change(we will be able to use it in enemy turn to boost the effects of reactions) So right now the main question is how triumphs will change?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cofaxest said:

It's so funny how GW is showing new cool 3ed rules for monsters, magic and priests... and KO have neither of them xD

Hey, KO don’t have monsters or magic or anything YET. Maybe they’ll get a magitech priest unit, or some kind of giant Skywhale. :P 

2 hours ago, JustAsPlanned said:

Hey, KO don’t have monsters or magic or anything YET. Maybe they’ll get a magitech priest unit, or some kind of giant Skywhale. :P 

Please, no priests!

I'd sooner say a character that ups the difficulty for prayers and other magic in an area.

New generic CAs. Unleash Hell seems to be fine for us, but remember that rerolls are going the way of the dodo (no generic CA, some people say that batallions are going to narrative only, and we don't know anything about triumphs...glups!). With -1 to hit and no mortal wounds in our base shooting profiles, it seems that our gimmick is having a high volume of shooting attacks instead of the quality of them (at least we have rend and the enemy can't use the generic CA for +1 to save...).

Rally could be fine for 20 man arkanauts or even thunderers and +1 to hit for our shooting phase seems really good!!

AoSFF Orruks Jun8 Boxout2

AoSFF Orruks Jun8 Boxout5

I will mis the Bound Chronomatic Coggs to play Thryng/ Zon (/sadfase):

AoSFF Orruks Jun8 Boxout6