AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

There might be a case for including him in a Lofnir list. For only 20 points extra over a regular Runefather, he has a built in Battle-throne and an extra melee attack (plus range on the droth). I would need to invest in more Start Collecting's to see if that's worth it beyond the theorycrafting.

Its probably nothing new for most of you but I just realized that the CA of the Runefather doesnt say „can only benefit once“. 
So you could technically use multiple CP to almost guarantee a charge after tunneling* for example. 

2 CP + Vostarg would mean a 6“ charge with 20 HGB that just arrived.

*Which imo is the best tool we have against Tzeentch alphastrike or shenannigans like Be‘lakor or Katakros -1 to hit etc etc. 

WIP of my Magmadroth! I'm currently done with the 'skin'. Now  I just need to do the head and all the horns/claws (they will get a bone-colour) and Ur-Gold runes. I'm going for more classic lizzard/dragon look. 

Fully painted this guy with contrast as a try-out, because I never tried it before and was a bit sceptical. Turns out you can actually blend really nice with it and can make nice shading with it. 

What do you guys think? 

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-27 at 16.09.10.jpeg

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 2

@Kantchill I really like it.. did you drybrush white across it? Contrast works exceptionally well with Zenithal in my opinion than using it with just a Grey Seer\Wraithbone primer. It really helps those blends and fades come together a lot better. 

Of course.. Contrast works pretty well in general when you don't follow the marketing ploy of "1-thick-coat" and actually use minimal amounts and thin it a bit 😉

Yeah I did some drybrushes in between the layers with the Wraitbone Base (which I also used for the basecoat) to create even more depth. And indeed, I build the color up in about 6 or 7 layers and not just 1 thick coat, lol.

I used Creed Camo mixed in different amounts with Contrast Medium for most of the model, Dark Angels Green for the deeper/darker parts and Nazdreg Yellow for the belly and vins. But there is a lot of overlap with the colors and I finished with an overal super thinned down layer of Creed Camo as well. 

Edited by Kantchill
  • Thanks 1

Hey i have a question. We have no fyreslayer players in my meta and i’m about to go to adepticon and am pretty likely to face one. How fo you beat the hearth guard berserker list? Do you shoot the heroes or the hearthguard?

7 hours ago, Bozly said:

Hey i have a question. We have no fyreslayer players in my meta and i’m about to go to adepticon and am pretty likely to face one. How fo you beat the hearth guard berserker list? Do you shoot the heroes or the hearthguard?

It's fairly easy for hearthguard berzerkers to sit on 3+/4++ with a - 1 to wound aura. So they are pretty hard to shoot. Against a, shooty liste i would try to use my fyrewall to protect most of my heroes. The rest i would try to keep near auric hearthguard which can protect heroes and take the wound on 4+. 

It's easier to shoot the Heroes, but not that easy.  We have pretty good spell protection near our banner with Nulsidian Icon, ignoring spells on 4+.

As the fyreslayer player i would prefer if you shot my hearthguard. 

I think you shouldn't botter with battalions at 1k points. Especially LotL, as it requires 3 heroes and an extra points cost for the battalion for a total of 500 points without the regular troops. That's allready half your army... Our troops are alsoexpensive, which means you will end up with way to few models to capture objectives or hold the enemy back. 

When playing 1k points I always run 1 or 2 units of 10 Heartguard Berzekers and a unit of 10 Vulkite Berzekers and/or 5 Auric Hearthguard (I like these a lot at this point level, because we are low on heroes and these give them some extra protection). Fill up the rest with heroes (I usually take a Father and Smiter) and if you have any points left a Fyrewall or even a command point if you take Hermdar lodge for the Skull-breakers & Oath-takers. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all

So I have finally given in and decided to do a fire slayer army, cost was holding me back.

I have 11 x boxes of hearth guard and have all heros

Can you please help with list I’m thinking of plus the artefacts prayers etc..

so far I’m thinking 

2000pts

Hermdar Lodge

Extra command point 50pts

General - Auric Runemaster (warrior indominate) 120pts

Auric Runefather (Tyrant Slayer) 100pts

Battlesmith (Icon of the Ancestors) 140pts

Auric Runesmiter (Ash-cloud Rune) 120pts

Battleline -

5 x Auric Hearth Guard 120pts

Other units -

20 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (poleaxe) 400pts

20 x Hearthguard Bezerkers (poleaxe) 400pts

Battalions -

Lord of the Lodge 140pts

Forge Brethren 160pts

Are the artefacts I’m using going to help me be competitive?

Are the poleaxe the best load out?

I hope the list is legal

On 4/21/2020 at 3:43 AM, Arcce said:

What would be the best way to run Fyreslayers with Gotrek? 

Trying to make as cheap an army as possible. Gotrek is insanely good value so thinking him amd 2 SC

Just a side note he can attack 1 more time with the Prayer of grimnir's fury (as any other allied hero btw ) 

On 4/24/2020 at 10:39 PM, Dragon10 said:

0snip-

Are the artefacts I’m using going to help me be competitive?

Are the poleaxe the best load out?

I hope the list is legal

I find these particular builds highly defensive (and offensive of course because Hermdar + LotL) and as such I think you benefit from building on that more.

For my list, I drop the extra CP you have in favor of the Fyrewall for it's LoS blocking benefits and it's buff; both good things to have in a meta with high amounts of magic\shooting. For artifacts, I would take the Nulsidian Icon (gives you magic defense, which is also helpful in today's meta) and Aetherquartz Brooch potentially. I like running Aetherquartz as it tends to net me back a good amount of CP and pays for itself more than having 1 extra to start will. I mean, you'll already start your T1 with 3, assuming no-one steals\denies the one you gain 😉

On Poleaxe\Broadaxe, the math has been done to show Broadaxes edge out regardless but.. honestly I think the best thing you can do it just run a unit of bothMathematically Broadaxes may take it even against an un-rendable  2\3+ save and MW saves but when it comes down to it, having 1 unit that can answer certain threats with MW's pays off more often than not. Oh, and I would also suggest looking at Ember Storm\Prayer of Ash for your prayers. A list can be competitive all it wants, just remember it takes practice and being a good pilot to win those games 😉

Edited by Gwendar

Ok so I have the Fyreslayers SC and I was wondering: Can you use the vulkite berzerkers? It seems not many lists use them and I was planning on getting quite a few of them, however it seems I should be getting a bunch of boxes of hearthguard.

35 minutes ago, Sttufe said:

Ok so I have the Fyreslayers SC and I was wondering: Can you use the vulkite berzerkers? It seems not many lists use them and I was planning on getting quite a few of them, however it seems I should be getting a bunch of boxes of hearthguard.

You certainly can.. it's just that 20 blocks of HGB are far better in terms of damage and survivability. That combined with the power of LotL and Hermdar is where it's currently at in terms of the army's hammer unit. That said, I have seen quite a few lists running 1x20 or 30 alongside the HGB blocks so you have 60 wounds worth sitting on an objective which is nice and they aren't bad in terms of damage at all. In doing this though it's hard to squeeze in Auric Hearthguard so your heroes are left a bit more vulnerable.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hallo fellow players,

I'm new to the Fyreslayers, but I really like the overall look and feel of those "little" guys.

My goal is to build a list around Gotrek, as he should be the centerpiece of the army. With the Vostarg-Lodge taken, I will improve the movement of the units and with the support-heroes I want to thoughen up those battlelines. The overall goal is to keep two objectives with this army: one with the Hearthguard Berzerkers and support, the other with Gotrek and one unit of Vulkite Berzerkers.

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
Lodge: Vostarg

LEADERS:
1x Gotrek Gurnisson (520)
1x Auric Runefather (100)
     General
     Command Trait: Fiery Endurance

Artefact: Vosaxe
1x Auric Runemaster (120)
     Prayer: Prayer of Ash
1x Battlesmith (140)
     Artefact: Icon of the Ancestors

UNITS:
20x Hearthguard Berzerkers (400)
     Weapons: Boadaxes
20x Vulkite Berzerkers (280)
     Weapons: Handaxes & Slingshields
20x Vulkite Berzerkers (280)
     Weapons: Handaxes & Slingshields

BATTALIONS:
Lords of the Lodge (140)

TOTAL: 1980/2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 145

I really like to hear what you think of this list or how I can improve it.

Sorry for my bad english, I hope you understood what I want to say :-)

3 hours ago, Malakithe said:

I hope Vulkites and Auric HG come down in points with the coming handbook. And all Droths should come down too.

I imagine they will as I see the HGB going up at the same time. At the very least losing their horde discount at 20 or lowering the amount of the discount.. seems to be a popular opinion floating around at least.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Not a great pic...from the FB group

Vulkites....10/30 - 140

HGB...5/20 - 120/600

All Droths down by 10

FB_IMG_1593856475485.jpg

120 for 5 and 600 for 20 makes no sense... Its 120/400 just like it already was. The little star just means changed from the last GHB, as these changes happened with the winter FAQ if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Xasto

31 minutes ago, Xasto said:

120 for 5 and 600 for 20 makes no sense... Its 120/400 just like it already was. The little star just means changed from the last GHB, as these changes happened with the winter FAQ if I'm not mistaken.

Also LoTL battalion went up by 10. Thats new. And the Droths are down 10. Thats also new

• Like 1