AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I'll be fighting a big old 'grudge' match vs Kharadron Overlords tomorrow night.  Never fought them before with any army; and I'm a complete noob at Fyreslayers, should be amazing!

Here's what I'm bringing, no lodge:

Fyreslayers lodgeless w Dispossessedallies v1.JPG

Depending on the mission/deployment and what he has, I might even tunnel in the magmadroths behind him.  I mean for a first turn Savage Spearhead with monsters, that's a nice 3 points.  I almost forsee not having too much trouble to get into combat, as don't the airships go pretty fast?  He might have to get closer just to shoot me with some stuff.  Or not, not really sure.  I mean, they're not Lumineth right?

KO currently suffer from lack of rend so stack those saves. But on the flip side unless you can bracket their boats they will probably be zipping around being mostly untouchable. Your AHG might actually put in more work then expected.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Flamekeeper article's up.

HzLnxhr2azywrhQp.jpg

Not sure about him if this is his only gimmick. Fyreslayers shouldn't really be dying in droves, 

He's probably a Priest on top, but yeah this ability is nearly useless in practice. Like seriously a dark, incompetent mirror of the Thrallmaster who gets to hand out big buffs for doing nothing. And I play both armies, so I don't have a bias here. 

If he’s cheap I foresee “Grimnir Fyre-Dirge Processions” chains of these priests so they can all benefit from Fyreslayer deaths at once and multiply the benefit for as few losses as possible that can quickly be brought back with Healing & Rally.

Looks interesting enough and I love the model so seems good to me. Looking forward to seeing how this develops, his pure Fyreslayer focus could really pay off if we see the units changed up(hopefully in a Fyreslayer tome with new priest traits to boot)

At first glance this  new hero is useless.

Have huge requisites and too small range for the buff.

Of course if he is priest and cost the same than a runemaster or runesmitter and you wont use the deep strike of runesmitter then you could bring the new hero for the extra ultra hard to use buff because you are bringing him for be priest and id this effect activate great but isnt his main use and only a extra.

But i hope every priest get a huge reduce in points because the actual 140 is for 2.0 when we could chant 3 prayers(1 of scroll,1 of the fs book and 1 endless fs prayer). For 3.0 where we only chant one prayer the cost must be something as 80\100 see seraphon priest with a cost of 80 and chant one prayer as us

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Doko said:

For 3.0 where we only chant one prayer the cost must be something as 80\100 see seraphon priest with a cost of 80 and chant one prayer as us

Seraphon has 2.0 battletome too. Try to look at SCE book:

• Knight Relictor (140).
  • Lord Relictor (145). Completely boosted with +1 bonus for prayers (don't expect that).
  • Lord Veritant (155).

I expect something like 110-140 p for a 5w and 4+ save or something like that.

• Like 2

I only see him getting taken if Vulkite spam makes it's return from 1.0, since there might be enough bodies around to make his buff pop off enough.

But he's probably just going to run into the same problem as the Runemaster. "Are his buff(s) better than Deep Strike and Reroll Wounds? No. Runesmiter it is. "

Even if he's cheap, he's so tied to sitting among us units that he won't be manning the Pizza Oven either.

At least he's generic enough looking you can proxy him as a Runesmiter/Runemaster I suppose?

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, madmac said:

He's probably a Priest on top, but yeah this ability is nearly useless in practice. Like seriously a dark, incompetent mirror of the Thrallmaster who gets to hand out big buffs for doing nothing. And I play both armies, so I don't have a bias here. 

Assuming they're following their "Warscrolls should have 1 rule" mentality or whatever it is, this looks like it's the work of the bin guy when compared to the IDK sin guy rule.

IDK rule: Always does something every combat phase
FS rule: This might do something under super tight restrictions you can't meet easily on your own

Edit: "super" might be unfair but still

Edited by Scruf
  • Like 1

On the other hand, soak up a charge of something nasty with some vulkites, then next turn chuck in the hearthguard with 3 damage weapons and make them sorry? 

2 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Maybe it'll be good for a big unit of Vulkites?  I mean, 20 of them getting extra damage on their attacks, with the Rune of Awakened Steel going off, perhaps vs a Cursed enemy.... could be spicy.

A cursed enemy is already in big trouble from vulkites if you take them with paired axes- so yes I’m feeling the spice more than the salt here! Although getting all 20 to swing would be nigh impossible. 

Most lists I’ve used in 3rd edition have found room for a runemaster to guard the forge and chuck out curse- this new guy hopefully can perform that role better. 

• Like 2

Guess I should get a Runemaster, I just have 2 foot Runesmiters and another on the Magmadroth.  Haven't gotten or tried a Battlesmith yet either.  Seems like the latter might be highly situational, but I guess there's almost always a 'let's sit on an objective' situation? 

Looking foward to using the legit authentic Fyreslayers dice today!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Azamar said:

On the other hand, soak up a charge of something nasty with some vulkites, then next turn chuck in the hearthguard with 3 damage weapons and make them sorry? 

A cursed enemy is already in big trouble from vulkites if you take them with paired axes- so yes I’m feeling the spice more than the salt here! Although getting all 20 to swing would be nigh impossible. 

Most lists I’ve used in 3rd edition have found room for a runemaster to guard the forge and chuck out curse- this new guy hopefully can perform that role better. 

Problem is it's so situational. You need to lose x5 two-wound models and then have your HGB in a situation where they can benefit from the counter-charge. At that point, they've probably already taken the long way around or have already been charged themselves. 

The Flamekeeper is likely worse on Pizza Oven duty because his ability wants him to be in the thick of it to absorb the deaths.

Yes i know,but maybe he is a priest only in lore and not in rules and this skill that have been seen is his pseudo prayer.

But i realllly hope that he be a priest because to me seems so much funnier to play this mellepriest even two together than the tipical master at omen and smitter 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

2 of these abilities are already on some unit warscrolls, which makes me wonder if we’re going to see some massive changes?

My IDK buddy noted the same thing about their reroll 1's ability on their new hero. Not super related here, but could be a sign of things to come for both books.

• Like 1

Not sure if the new model would've helped me out in tonight's game or not.  We don't have enough of a horde army to make this really worthwhile....unless points come down for Vulkites?

I fought the KO, with Thryng?, and he had the giant ballon Baron named guy, Endringuy with balloon, Ironclad w gatling, 2 gunhaulers w drills, 2x3 skywardens and 2x3 endrins, 10 grundstok thunderers and 10 arkanauts.  

I had 

Fyreslayers lodgeless w Dispossessedallies v1.JPG

Mission: Savage Gains, he went first and killed my Runesmiter on Droth right off the bat, took his whole army to do it though.  Those drill cannons hit on 6s a lucky 4/ 6 shots!  And they're rend-3 when normally hitting.   My Vulkites moved up to charge the Arkanuts, whilst my two footy Runesmiters deepstruck with the HGBs and Aurics.  Aurics pegged a few Grundys, and the HGBs got in and killed the big Baron.  7 points for me, 5 for KO since he killed my monster.

deployment.jpg

turn 1 bottom.jpg

Turn 2 was me taking priority for the super awesome double turn!  Went up to charge a gunhauler on the left but he redeployed a lucky 6 so no charge available there.  Aurics tried to shoot and charge the Grundys but did you know the Ironclad can take something called The Last Word?  It lets it shoot stuff when stuff gets charged within however far....in addition to the Unleash Hell from the Grundys, who apparently get amazing when stuff is within 3"!  So Aurics fell hard, that sucked.  HGBs continued to tarpit stuff in the center.  I got another 7 (14), and he got another 5 (10).  

Then turn 3, he regained priority (as he would for the rest of the game) the HGBs fell to a big mass shooting effort as his stuff flew to the center.  He didn't want me to get 4 points there.  I burned the right objective though the Vulkites there fell too.  Last Magmadroth fell as well though he stood strong with Coal Heart Ancient and All Out Defense.  Never got to charge :(  I got Ferocious Advance with my last Vulkites, a really fast Warden King and the Longbeards.  Me another 5 (23), him another 4 (14).

turn 3.jpg

Turn 4 it was over, he ran a lucky 6 and CPd a 6 to run the last Arkanuts and Grundys over the border to get Savage Spearhead, and got his 3 points for objectives, and took care of the Warden King and Vulkites.  I could not achieve Broken Ranks without leaving the objective so I opted for Slay the Warlord but of course couldn't, so just 1 point me (24), 5 for him (19).

turn 4.jpg

After this on turn 5 he shot up most of the Longbeards (they did well in cover and with All Out Defense), and made a 12" charge with the Endrinmaster AND the Ironclad and POOF, 9 more points for him plus the Grand Strategy for 31 to my 24.  Super tight exciting game. 

Not sure Magmic Tunneling is always the right move.  I really missed the Runic Empowerment and other prayers turn 1.  And I'm wondering if tunneling my Runefather back there would have helped.  Also it was stupid to take the Arcane Tome, dwarves hate magic (and the brainfog was kicking in: I just plain forgot he had it; I also forgot to the Flamespitter every turn except turn 2!).  Amulet every time, need those ward saves.  Longbeards did their job well, however I think having fast Stormcast allies might be very much more desirable, as they'd let the Runesmiters not have to tunnel.  Have to check some out.  No fast Dispossessed besides the Gyrocopters, and not really sure they cut the mustard.

Edited by Lord Krungharr
  • Like 2

I can kinda see some use for him. The conditions for the buffs are questionable...nothing short of blocks of vulkites will work for it. But if all else fails he is still a priest, hopefully, and can do priestly things. 

Models in units will be dying anyway so I guess its like a passive buff? 

Then again we dont know what other changes are coming so this guy might work out in the end

Edited by Malakithe

3 hours ago, Doko said:

Namartis got 2" range,i hope our vulkites that have 10 models and 30 base as namarti got 2" also......

Well axes usually dont have the reach of long swords or spears but at this point who knows whats going to happen. Dwarves are short, have short arms, and short handled weapons...im not expecting it

• Like 1

• Throwing Axes went to 4+ to hit and wound across the board.
  • Aurics lost Sworn Protectors and +1 Damage against Monsters. +1 Bravery. Speed reduction is now just -1 instead of halved (lol).
  • Hearthguard Berzerkers' lost their permanent 6++ and now just get a flat 4++ if a FS Hero is wholly within 9" of the unit.
  • Vulkites are now two separate entries for Dual Handaxes/Slingshields which explains the 9th Warscroll.
  • Dual Handaxes lost the reroll to hit, instead they get +1 to hit on the charge.
  • Slingshields now just grant a flat 4+ Save.
  • Flamekeeper is a Totem but not a Priest.

• Flamekeeper - 80pts
  • Auric Hearthguard - 120pts (-5)
  • Hearthguard Berzerkers - 135pts (+10)
  • Dual Handaxe Vulkites - 160
  • Slingshield Vulkites - 170 (+10)

6r2op1Z.png

3U6tiH5.png

qdEMZW1.png

gRBHSGr.png

O8zyLBD.png

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

At a quick glance I predict an incoming meltdown/tantrum 

my view- great shame that the new character isn’t a priest (as far as I can tell). The vulkite scrolls being split means there might be different point costs for them and it’ll be interesting to see how that goes. 

I use 20 shields frequently as a tunnelling force and their damage output getting halved stings a bit. However they never won me any games by killing things, they win by landing somewhere my opponent doesn’t want them and being difficult to shift (40 wounds and immunity to battle shock in hermdar). A basic 4+ save enhances that considerably, and they don’t lose it if they charge either, so overall I’m ok with that. 

I think vulkites will keep their value as screening troops as well- twin axes will die fast but do more damage as they go down, whilst shields could blunt a charge nicely and stay on their feet.

hearthguard berserkers now have to be wholly within 9 for the ward but kept the 4+ and still look like the best infantry in the game to me.

Auric hearthguard have kinda lost their niche- no two damage shots against monsters and no bodyguard rule. If they stay the same cost as hearthguard berserkers then they’re difficult to justify.

any word on points?

Edited by Azamar
  • Like 3