AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

12 minutes ago, Namelessone81 said:

It is in the app and it has 80 points

but I just saw its not in the generals handbook 2018 .... 

damn I just anihilated my friend with a non excistent battalion :( 

don't be so sad, it was a good way to say goodbye to it ! 

Next time, play the brotherhood of the great bolt warscroll bataillion, your friend will love it !

Edited by ledha
  • Haha 2

On 9/7/2018 at 11:17 PM, ledha said:

What do people think about Aventis ? I find him quite sexy in comparison to the generic LAOT (20 pts more for 1 more attack, a autoheal, a bette spell, bouncing back mortal wounds and A SECOND FREAKING UNBIND ?), and a fast fluying HERO/BEHEMOT/WIZARD is quite awesome in the new scenarios

I’m looking at aventis when I take a stormhost. :)

20 hours ago, ledha said:

Most of the heroes in the game don't hit that hard. Look the khorne heroes for example

Hu ? the aetherstrike don't have any point anymore and isn't legal in matched play then. Except if you are talking with the one from the kharadron overlords book

I actually don't think that's a great argument. Those units were among the very first ever released and as such built for a different system than what it has evolved into. I don't think they envisioned the game looking anything like it does now and if they had been designed now they would look quite different. The Celestant in all his forms would either have a higher damage/better rending/more attacks depending on the weapon we are talking about as well as +1 wound. Same for several Khorne heroes, they just were not built to compete with units that have come out in more recent releases, take the Akhellian King for example and compare him to a Dracoth riding Celestant, his only saving grace is his shield really; in my opinion these early releases are typically about 80% of where their power level should be and would be if released today with a few exceptions.

Edited by Black Blade
  • Like 2

On 9/9/2018 at 6:47 PM, xking said:

I feel like stormcast have too many 1 damage weapons. Like why does the Lord celestant on foot have only one damage weapons.     With how the Lore talks about their weapons, you think they actually be able to do something impressive.                                                                                                                               If liberators had two damage weapons would they be broken?

Hmm he has like 8 attacks on a charge ,6 normal,and an mortal wound aoe , imho not bad for a 100point hero. 

12 hours ago, schwabbele said:

Hmm he has like 8 attacks on a charge ,6 normal,and an mortal wound aoe , imho not bad for a 100point hero. 

On a charge he is averaging 1.8 wounds against a 4+ save unit. A whirling engine of destruction he is not. I think the argument is one from a lore perspective. He just doesn't make sense, none of the celestants do in my opinion, they are supposed to be the greatest hand to hand warriors in the Stormhosts and that just doesn't come across on the table top. By all means if they hit harder raise their points, I dont think anyone would argue that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Black Blade said:

On a charge he is averaging 1.8 wounds against a 4+ save unit. 

That number is wrong.  Taking rend -1 on the sword into account, the Lord Celestant  deals 1.98 wounds against 4+ save on the charge. If he also uses his CA (the main reason to take him), that goes up to 2.52 wounds against 4+ save. 

Add to this an average of 1.75 MW during the ranged phase from his ability (as it is an ability and not a ranged attack he can also use it after running).

Plus of course the +1 to hit in CC that he also gives to other units ... not that bad, if you ask me!

If you "want" a pathetic Stormcast hero that truly sucks, look no further than the Knight-Questor!?

Apparently, he seemed too good to GW, so he even just got a 20 points increase ...

• Like 1

Hi there. I'am following these sce discussions since a while now. 

I was wondering what were your thoughts on Vandus Hammerhand and why he is not more often chosen in our dear Hammers of Sigmar.

I mean.... +1 attack granted on a nearly 25" straight line means you can easily fit 20 sequitors or 10 evocators. It seems overkill on paper, even if it is straight forward....

Anybody experienced this in tournaments or anything competitive ?

Thanks fellow sons of the storm. 

Edited by LordCelestant Imperius 1st
Grammar fault

17 minutes ago, LordCelestant Imperius 1st said:

I was wondering what were your thoughts on Vandus Hammerhand and why he is not more often chosen in our dear Hammers of Sigmar.

I mean.... +1 attack granted on a nearly 25" straight line means you can easily fit 20 sequitors or 10 evocators. It seems overkill on paper, even if it is straight forward....

He's a bit soft for how expensive he is, but he can bring a lot of offensive power. With Evocator and Sequitor blocks putting out so much damage, I'm not sure he's really needed in most lists. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PlayerOfGames said:

That number is wrong.  Taking rend -1 on the sword into account, the Lord Celestant  deals 1.98 wounds against 4+ save on the charge. If he also uses his CA (the main reason to take him), that goes up to 2.52 wounds against 4+ save. 

Add to this an average of 1.75 MW during the ranged phase from his ability (as it is an ability and not a ranged attack he can also use it after running).

Plus of course the +1 to hit in CC that he also gives to other units ... not that bad, if you ask me!

If you "want" a pathetic Stormcast hero that truly sucks, look no further than the Knight-Questor!?

Apparently, he seemed too good to GW, so he even just got a 20 points increase ...

I did forget to include the command ability given that it is conditional and maybe the CPs would go somewhere else. Even accounting for that my MathHammer app has him going up to 2.5 which to me is still not representative of the lore description. I also am not counting the cloak ability ( not that it is unimportant) but its only happening on your turn and he could very well die after using it once if your opponent gets a double turn. Point being if you could take him with a shield you would every single time, his sword should have the Lord Veritant and Lord Aquilors Profile/ (Think they are the same in name and profile or at least they are similar).

33 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

He's a bit soft for how expensive he is, but he can bring a lot of offensive power. With Evocator and Sequitor blocks putting out so much damage, I'm not sure he's really needed in most lists. 

This. He doesnt have the shield the vanilla version has and my Evocators are routinely deleting units so thoroughly I forgot they do mortals after their attacks for a few games.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LordCelestant Imperius 1st said:

300 pts for 7 wound and a 3+ save is just asking to be sniped away

9 hours ago, ledha said:

300 pts for 7 wound and a 3+ save is just asking to be sniped away

Well. With a castellant and a mystic shield,  he might be able to take some punch.... not mortal wounds, i know.

But just theorycrafting things like having the celestant prime around, and keeping him alive with lord(s) arcanum, scions and lightning chariot.... give the enemy much things to chose so that maybe he is not the first thing to kill.

I ll try soon anyway. Still having a lot of painting to do.

Ps: and the CP saving on battleshocks.... almost forgot. ?

Edited by LordCelestant Imperius 1st

Hey guys, I'm looking to run a elite army for my second army and stormcast really fit that bill. After speaking to a solid player reccommend using cleansing phalanx I think it makes a lot of sense. 

Currently i'm at Arcanum on Gryph Charger, Gavriel,  2 x 20 Sequitors, 2 x 5 Evos & the Phalanx with 340 points left still needing another battleline. 

I was thinking 2 lots of judicators for some stay at home objective holders & ranged presence? Though it does mean I'm losing out on the extra artifact. 

Edited by AaronWIlson

Instead of 2 units of judicators, I would rather go with Judicators and a ballista. That gives you a little bit more shooting power against armored targets.

I'm honestly not a fan of 2 blocks of 20 Sequitors as this leaves you with the evos (+ the missing units for 340 points) to guard the objectives. I would rather go with 20 Sequitors, 5 Sequitors, 10 Evocators, 5 Evocators. You reduce your hitpoints a little, but you get additional mortal wounds.

With these changes, you have 160 points left  to use for whatever you like, maybe you can still go for your second unit of Judicators or fit in a Lord Relictor or a castellant.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2018 at 11:50 AM, PJetski said:

I feel like, if I am running a big block of anything I'm gonna want a castellant to buff them. The 20 sequitors would love that +1 armor buff. I would try to squeeze him in. Plus it gives another option for a relic.

Edited by Darkrich
Can't get rid of quote for some reason

On 9/12/2018 at 4:34 AM, LordCelestant Imperius 1st said:

Well. With a castellant and a mystic shield,  he might be able to take some punch.... not mortal wounds, i know.

But just theorycrafting things like having the celestant prime around, and keeping him alive with lord(s) arcanum, scions and lightning chariot.... give the enemy much things to chose so that maybe he is not the first thing to kill.

I ll try soon anyway. Still having a lot of painting to do.

Ps: and the CP saving on battleshocks.... almost forgot. ?

Putting a castellant shield on Vandus is throwing good money after bad. Your best bet is to put vandus into a hyper aggression list so that your opponent can't actually afford to snipe him with how many threats are in his face. If you're going to do vandus I would probably do him, Gavriel, 3 units of Sequitors of various sizes, enough prosecutors(or even cheaper things like skinks) to let everything start in the sky and evocators to fill out whatever points you have left(won't be many).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, schwabbele said:

imho:

10 Evos with staff if you plan a drop - way easier to place and you will get a lot more if not all in combat.

20 Sequitors will be a pain to drop. 5 Evos will probably have no game relevant impact.

Yeah, if you're not taking at least ten, you can pass on evos. Support heroes will get you more value.

52 minutes ago, Fred1245 said:

Putting a castellant shield on Vandus is throwing good money after bad. Your best bet is to put vandus into a hyper aggression list so that your opponent can't actually afford to snipe him with how many threats are in his face. If you're going to do vandus I would probably do him, Gavriel, 3 units of Sequitors of various sizes, enough prosecutors(or even cheaper things like skinks) to let everything start in the sky and evocators to fill out whatever points you have left(won't be many).

Issue is that list can’t take sequitors as battle line.