AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Thanos-se said:

Has ever anybody tried cleansing phalanx successfully? Maybe could suggest a solid list?

A cleansing Phalanx build won a tournament when the book first came out, but I haven't seen anyone use one in ages. I've been building towards one for a year or two, but I've been a bit burned out on hobby this year and all of my models are just sitting in boxes at the moment.

Sequitors and Evocators are a bit of a pain to paint. If I recall, the list that won a couple of years ago had a knight heraldor in it so that the sequitors/evocators didn't get bogged down into combats that they didn't want to be in. They used a hammers of sigmar army with Gavriel Sureheart in it. The trick was to get an early first turn and use the bodies to gain board control and drop large blocks of sequitors into the center of the board. I'm not sure how effective it would be these days because the meta has shifted so much, especially some of the armies these days that can pretty much delete large blocks of sequitors before they have a chance to empower their shields and weapons.

I ve played a couple of games only, but i think the phalanx buffs the sequitors pretty strong, while in general it is difficult to get any buffs without paying a command ability. Blocks of 10 or 15 sequitors (20 won't pile in all of them i think) and you have the evocators to do some damage also. Hammers of sigmar for the feel no pain to stand more and vandus for the command ability. Since you have rerolls you can use the blades in sequitors to get more damage output. Note that i don't have all the models so i haven't tested it yet but because i am trying to expand my army i was looking to direct that way of phalanx.

Thank you for your comment.

On 10/11/2020 at 10:06 PM, jhamslam said:

Yes. Stand fast only cares about moving in the movement phase. Anything that moves em in hero phase or any other phase is fine. Relictor stonks are going up

I think for the stormkeep +1 save to be applied the unit must not have move or set up. So transolacation is a movement

Edited by Thanos-se

13 minutes ago, Thanos-se said:

I think for the stormkeep +1 save to be applied the unit must not have move or set up. So transolacation is a movement

"In addition, at the end of your movement phase, you can pick any friendly LIBERATORS units that did not move and were not set up in that phase and say they will stand fast. If you do so, until your next movement phase, you can add 1 to hit rolls for attacks made by those units, and you can add 1 to save rolls for attacks that target those units."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thanos-se said:

I ve played a couple of games only, but i think the phalanx buffs the sequitors pretty strong, while in general it is difficult to get any buffs without paying a command ability. Blocks of 10 or 15 sequitors (20 won't pile in all of them i think) and you have the evocators to do some damage also. Hammers of sigmar for the feel no pain to stand more and vandus for the command ability. Since you have rerolls you can use the blades in sequitors to get more damage output. Note that i don't have all the models so i haven't tested it yet but because i am trying to expand my army i was looking to direct that way of phalanx.

Thank you for your comment.

It really depends on the environment you play in. In a more "casual" setting, buffed blocks of sequitors can do a huge amount of work and probably even seem too powerful if you opponent does not invest in synergies and optimisation. As soon as you start going up on the "competitive ladder" you will see the limits of such a list. Just to name a few: 1) sequitors do not reroll saves against shooting and have no protection against mortal wounds (a 6+ FNP on a block of 10 will give you... 3 extra wounds, not really a game changer) so they die very easily against these; 2) support heroes (your general with the 6+ aura, vandus) are very easily sniped; 3) having a small block of evocators around to buff the sequitors is a very big point investment (5 evo + 10 seqs is 450 pts already :( ) and they won't contribute much to the damage unless you want them to die and lose the buff; 4) your army is very slow, so the enemy can dance around you, engage your sequitors blocks on his/her terms, and with their lackluster 1" range it's easy to just tag them in a corner; 5) after all of this, your sequitors will still be completely destroyed by proper melee armies (you meet 20 hearthguard berserkers, you lose). This is just out of the top of my head.

Of course, if you like the list and have still to acquire experience, there is no reason not to play it, you will sure learn a lot and it will stick much better than my chaotic comment on a formu :D

Thank you very much for your information. The truth is i ve seen only the high cost of the units. The other points you referred to, I have to see them during play.  Since you mentioned hearthguard, they have mortal wounds on 6s plus fnp on 4s , battlesock immune, and all these just because they are on the battlefield next to a hero and an objective (not to mention the CA). We must juice our brain to get such buffs. Evocators as a block of 10 or on cats I think they will melt down any unit plus the 20 dices for MW on 4s.

Note: Vandus can't get the Hammers CA as he's unique. You want a Lord-Arcanum general anyways to get Seq battleline.

Note 2: You can take Kittycators in a phalanx, three of those are more useful than 5 foot Evos, can buff the Seqs in the hero phase then move off to do things (for example charge the same target as the Sequitors from another angle to make pile ins harder or go blow up a support hero)

Hope that helps abit. Also consider the good old Lord Relictor for translocate and -1 to hit for enemies, remedies the movement of Sequitors a bit and helps them survive more.

Arcanum on dracoline as general, vandus for +1 attacks. I am thinking instead of pick celestial vindicators take the +1 attack from vandus plus the other buffs of hammers of sigmar. Assuming u take melee oriented army. Other lords or knights maybe relictor , heraldor , vexillor, incantor. At the bottom of the line if u land a +5 when a unit is destroyed...

1 hour ago, Thanos-se said:

Other lords or knights maybe relictor , heraldor , vexillor, incantor. At the bottom of the line if u land a +5 when a unit is destroyed...

Thats the problem of stormcast, we need to pay 100+ points for each hero for basic things that other armies have build in like reroll charge etc. To make roster work we have to pay like 500 points in sole heroes... 

• Like 2

Just now, rosa said:

You will never get those 20 in reach for all attacks, so.... :(

I am not a gibt fan of these big blocks of 20. Very hard to move and handle.

That's true, It's hard to throw them against one unit. Maybe you can split it like ten in one unit and the rest 5 to another or a hero.

Hey everyone! I continue to be intrigued by Stormcast because of the low model count, no faction terrain shenanigans and relatively straight forward rules without being a simple run forward and fight army. I know they are weak currently.

I already have a small collection so the following list is partly build on that. I know the hot ****** back in the day when playing Sacrocant was Gav, 10-15 Evos on foot and 3-4 Ballistas with Ordinator, but I’d like to bust out the Evos on Cats. (I already own 10 on foot.) Anyway, any thoughts?

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Tempest Lords

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (210)
- General
- Command Trait: Bonds of Noble Duty  
- Artefact: Obsidian Amulet  
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait: Bounding Leap
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Knight-Incantor (120)
- Artefact: Patrician's Helm  
Knight-Incantor (120)
- Spell: Celestial Blades
Lord-Exorcist (90)
- Spell: Stormcaller

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (120)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (120)

Units
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (520)
- 4x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades

Battalions
Grand Convocation (130)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 103

3 hours ago, martinwolf said:

Hey everyone! I continue to be intrigued by Stormcast because of the low model count, no faction terrain shenanigans and relatively straight forward rules without being a simple run forward and fight army. I know they are weak currently.

I already have a small collection so the following list is partly build on that. I know the hot ****** back in the day when playing Sacrocant was Gav, 10-15 Evos on foot and 3-4 Ballistas with Ordinator, but I’d like to bust out the Evos on Cats. (I already own 10 on foot.) Anyway, any thoughts?

- Stormhost: Tempest Lords

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (210)
- General
- Command Trait: Bonds of Noble Duty  
- Artefact: Obsidian Amulet  
- Mount Trait: Bounding Leap
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Knight-Incantor (120)
- Artefact: Patrician's Helm  
Knight-Incantor (120)
- Spell: Celestial Blades
Lord-Exorcist (90)
- Spell: Stormcaller

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Sequitors (120)

Units
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (520)
- 4x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades

Battalions
Grand Convocation (130)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 103

- 4 casters+ everblaze comet. I like this as i feel this is how you want to run a comet. Cast dispel. Lord arcanum with 2 incantors provide a solid caster/dispel unit with the grand convocation. You might be interested in dropping tempest lord for Celestial warbringers.
- or go celestial vindicators to buff up the charging cats with attacks and rerolls 1 to hit.

Weakness 
- few bodys with lots of points in heroes. You dont have much to cover the board and the 6 evocats cannot be everywhere.
- the objective games where you have a lot of objectives like 5+ are going to be a pain to hold you own objectives while taking the others. Atm your anvil is 10 sequitors. If you can somehow make that unit bigger like a unit of 15/20 then it has fighting potential. A unit of 10 is solid against most weak stuff but against a real treat it suffers. 20 can feel unwieldy but its mainly used for meat. And to be able to handle some losses. 
-Missing some board coverage mainly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

- 4 casters+ everblaze comet. I like this as i feel this is how you want to run a comet. Cast dispel. Lord arcanum with 2 incantors provide a solid caster/dispel unit with the grand convocation. You might be interested in dropping tempest lord for Celestial warbringers.
- or go celestial vindicators to buff up the charging cats with attacks and rerolls 1 to hit.

Weakness 
- few bodys with lots of points in heroes. You dont have much to cover the board and the 6 evocats cannot be everywhere.
- the objective games where you have a lot of objectives like 5+ are going to be a pain to hold you own objectives while taking the others. Atm your anvil is 10 sequitors. If you can somehow make that unit bigger like a unit of 15/20 then it has fighting potential. A unit of 10 is solid against most weak stuff but against a real treat it suffers. 20 can feel unwieldy but its mainly used for meat. And to be able to handle some losses. 
-Missing some board coverage mainly.

Really good points, thank you for the feedback!

Stormkeep, AKA GA:Order

Spoiler

- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar (Stormkeep)
Lord Kroak (320)
- Allies
Steam Tank with Commander (230)
Lord-Ordinator (140)
- Artefact: God-forged Blade
Lord-Veritant (110)

- General
- Command Trait: We Cannot Fail

- Mystic Light (Artefact): Lantern of the Tempest
- Prayer: Divine Light
30 x Liberators (480)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
10 x Skinks (60)
- Boltspitters & Moonstone Clubs
- Allies
6 x Gryph-Hounds (120)
Steam Tank (180)
Stormkeep Patrol (130)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 380 / 400
Wounds: 150

maybe the investment in the LOrdinator is not worth it with just 2 steam tanks and maybe I should take out the skinks to upgrade the second steam tank to commander (healing and CA). Kroak provides CP for the commander's CA.

@martinwolf
you may want to check the dracoline thread, there's a lot of good talk on Kittycators (my preferred SCE list, too).

The choice boils down to how much of a deathstar you want the cats to be and what you takf to support them. I personally run Castellant, Heraldor and chronomantic cogs to get tanky cats. Sometimes i run 15 Sequitors, someties i run ballistae with Ordinator. Not like there's much to run these days ;)

Edited by Lucur
link for convenience
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 hours ago, Lucur said:

@martinwolf
you may want to check the dracoline thread, there's a lot of good talk on Kittycators (my preferred SCE list, too).

The choice boils down to how much of a deathstar you want the cats to be and what you takf to support them. I personally run Castellant, Heraldor and chronomantic cogs to get tanky cats. Sometimes i run 15 Sequitors, someties i run ballistae with Ordinator. Not like there's much to run these days ;)

Oh, that's awesome, I'll come and have a look, thank you!

Leaders
Vandus Hammerhand (260)
- General
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Vexillor (110)
- Meteoric Standard

Battleline
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield

Units
15 x Protectors (510)
2 x Concussors (220)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (340)

Battalions
Stormtower Garrison (160)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 115

Hopefully I'm going to test this in 2weeks, I like the new battalion, to me seems good enough but I'm not sure about heroes, skipped the block of libs(nice in the battalion) for concussors and vandus.
I can face tzench, khorne, goblin, ironjawz and seraphone.
Edited by baiardo

Hello. How do you deal with fireslayers?

- 2 MW on 6 (I lost my unit of evocators last night, he rolled 6 6s with 18 attacks).

- command ability, they always take the first turn in combat phase so they kill your punch line.

Is it more effective to play a mobility army with some shooting? Can you deal them face to face? For example yesterday I chose celestial vindicators but I didn't engage. I prefered to run around and take the objectives. But I could have a Lord Aquilor and a vanguard palladors unit and poof around.