AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

44 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

Losing the Anvils Ability to shoot twice might be bad for us.

On the other hand getting access to cheap hordes of greatswords/ steam tanks , Demigrpyh knights (my old world fav) and some cool command point and fight twice abilities might be worth it

Hammerhall CA is better than Anvils for Evos, since it happens in the Combat phase. 

But shooting is pretty good :P 

7 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Hammerhall CA is better than Anvils for Evos, since it happens in the Combat phase. 

But shooting is pretty good :P 

29 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Well sure every list looks bad when you compare it to Anvilstrike :P

My thoughts exactly.

I just won a local tournament with Anvilstrike this past weekend, won myself a handy bit of store cred i plan on using for CoS.

Ill write up a tournament report soon, but man it reminded me of my time playing Control in MTG. Just felt like i was shutting everything down.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

My thoughts exactly.

I just won a local tournament with Anvilstrike this past weekend, won myself a handy bit of store cred i plan on using for CoS.

Ill write up a tournament report soon, but man it reminded me of my time playing Control in MTG. Just felt like i was shutting everything down.

Anvilstrike is our Blue deck.

"Can I have my big monster?" No
"Can I have my little buffing Hero?" No
"Can I make a charge move?" No

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Alright folks tournament report time. It was single elimination tournament, the qualifiers had been held from May thru August. you had to play an army you qualified with. Id played the AT 4 Ballista + LO + Thundercats list to qualify so i decided to go Anvilstrike here. Honestly other than my last match,  it was a total shutdown. As usual Aetherwings are MVPs for just 50. 

You all know the list so im not gonna talk about it. Its Jetski's list. 

Round 1 - Vs. Gloomspite Gitz. Total Conquest

He brought a 180 Grots. 120 melee and 60 shooting. Fanatics that block LoS into each of them. Warboss and 2 shamans. His plan was to use Hand of Gork to hurl them across the field and shoot me. Knight Incantor auto unbinds were amazing here.  I deploy the Azyros, Relictor, longstrikes + one aetherwing and Heraldor in the sky.  Turn one i just deny his spells and he surprisingly doesnt move up but bunches around his moon and other terrain. I move up some evocators and my incantor and deepstrike my shooters down and sure enough , he forgot what the knight heraldor does. I shoot his fanatics with my longstrikes (divvy up shots) and the heraldor blows his horn at the moon. I get the double turn and my incantor gets off Geminids, i swing em over his 2 shamans behind the moon and lo behold, he loses two heroes. Relictor teleports the longstrikes for an angle and i shoot his boss down. The rest of the game is just me grinding down the grots and winning.

Victory.

Round 2 - Vs FEC. Shifting Objectives

Hello Gristlegore. He had 3 Abhorrant Ghoul Kings , two on tgheist and one on zombie dragon.  ghouls + Archregent. Turn one i deny his unholy vitality.

I hold a relictor, longstrikes + aetherwings and azyros in reserve.

Deepstrike my longstrikes on my go and take out his general. Move some libs up to objectives. He gets the double turn, i deny his chalice with auto unbind but fail to deny unholy vitality on the remaining AGKoTG. He tries to go for my longstrikes with his two monster heroes. I deny the charge using my aetherwings (quite an argument about this one he didnt know what they do exactly or how they move).

On my turn i hit his AGKoZD in the hero phase take it out. I do like 10 damage in the shooting phase to his last monster (he has unholy vitality on it and makes a bunch of em) but heraldor and Evocators clean up nicely afterwards with an 11 inch move and a 9 inch charge. He uses a CP on Death Frenzy and kills like 5 evocators total but overall the match is won. He sees the board state and scoops. 

I move on.

Round 3 . vs Sylvaneth . Focal Points.

This one had me nervous. I havent faced Sylvaneths new stuff at all. His list was 6 Kurnoth with scythes. 6 Kurnoth with Bows. Drycha. Treelord. Arch Rev + 3 rev for battleline and a branchwraith. He gets first turn and i deny his forest spells using one auto unbind. He teleports drycha and thanks to some poor positioning on my part, snipes my incantor. No worries. I deepstrike my longstrikes , heraldor and evocators. Longstrikes take out the drycha, evocators thankfully make the 9 inch charge and clean up all 6 Kurnoth Hunters with Scythes on the top Objective. 10 Liberators  move up and take the center. I now control 4 objectives. my bottom two and his top right, plus the center.

He gets the double turn and fails his forest spell. He teleports his bows and Treelord to a forest near the top objective and tries a 9inch charge. But fails. 3 Kurnoth can see out so he shoots some evos down (like 2 of them). I teleport my longstrikes and take out 5 bows . Evocators charge the tree lord and between Grandstaves and Jazz Hands. Its over. Im up on points for two rounds and he doesnt see himself winning. Turn 3 i get the double turn, i once again shoot anything that pokes its head out of the trees and he scoops.

I move on.

Round 4 Final Round - vs Shootcast. 

There were two brackets on either end so the guy who won the other side of the room was also on Anvils. I was worries he might be anvilstrike, but nope. His list was ....original. He ran the Thunderhead battalion with 3 Liberators and 2 Judicators. One relictor, one heraldor and one incantor. He had 2 ballistas and 10 evocators + comet.  His reason for the battalion was for the brooch that gives a CP back on a 5+. His plan was to keep chaining CP and shoot in the hero phase.

In the final round the realm rules turned off ALL rend. Half his evos were sword and staff, so it was really biased in my favor considering longstrikes have headshot.

I put all my stuff in cover as best i can. Hold the longstrikes, heraldor, evocators + one aetherwing and azyros in reserve. He holds ballistas in reserve but everything else on the ground. He goes first. His judicators shoot my incantor but dont make any headway (2+ save) so no wounds taken. He deepstrikes his ballista and shoots evocators in cover on a 3 up re rolling one save.  i make them all. I auto unbind his comet. On my turn i get off geminids (he surprisngly doesnt auto unbind em) and move em over his liberator judicator line.  I deepstrike longstrikes and aetherwings plus a heraldor and start blowing holes into his shooting. I score 4 headshots in the shooting phase and take out a unit of judicators (battleshock). I couldnt shoot his evocators cus he was holding them in the sky.  The geminids take out 3 liberator models and a judicator model.

I get the double turn and use my CP to shoot the other judicator unit (which is down to 4), 2 headshots is all i can do since rend is off and he saves the rest. In my shooting phase i take out a knight incantor that he placed more than 3 away from friendlies (no look out) sir. 2 headshots and one failed saved later he can no longer unbind anything or cast his comet.  I deepstrike evocators on his backfield but they fail the charge. On his turn he starts being more aggressive but he just has 2 ballistas (no ordinator) and with rend turned off they each do like 1 damage to my evocator unit. He deepstrikes his evos and makes an 11 inch charge on my longstrikes. Or he wouldve. Aetherwings save the day. 

He gets the double turn and tries to teleport some liberators to take my back objective. Fails the charge. I shoot his evocator unit twice with Longstrikes (no rend really hurts plus bad rolls) and do like 8 wounds total. I teleport them away after ive shot in the hero phase so he cant get to them anymore. I then countercharge his liberators with my incantor and between the soul flasks and d3 damage, my back field in clear. Evocators get to the ballistas on his backfield objective, take them out. Total victory.

Anvilstrike is strong. It just won me enough Store Credit to get a 1500 point CoS army that ive been looking forward to. I havent gone up against the Triple Keeper + Sybarite Daemons list yet, although i can see how annoying that would be. But like i said earlier, this list is control magic. Lots of denial. Im really excited for what cities has to offer, because looking at the new Orc Stuff. It seems to be designed to lessen the impact of shooting lists. Honestly i wish our melee component was better costed so it wouldnt just be evocators (i love the look of sequitors on the field) but yeah in a fight first meta with MW everywhere, evocators and longstrikes are our "board wipes"

Edited by jhamslam
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

Don't forget:

"Can I cast my best spell?" No

It's a really oppressive playstyle, and I feel bad when I roll over people that aren't prepared for it. I believe the only thing keeping it from dominating the entire meta is that it has a very low tolerance for misplays, and most people aren't skilled enough to pilot it to the 99%+ flawless play it requires.

8 minutes ago, PJetski said:

It's a really oppressive playstyle, and I feel bad when I roll over people that aren't prepared for it. I believe the only thing keeping it from dominating the entire meta is that it has a very low tolerance for misplays, and most people aren't skilled enough to pilot it to the 99%+ flawless play it requires.

I've traveled far back as page 180 to read about what you guys wrote thos past few months, and although I found quite a lot of good informations (made myself a memo with the links to those good comments/Explanations) I've yet to read the Ultimate Anvil Strike Guide, for you know, just what you said in your previous comment aka pilot it flawlessly :)

Would be nice to have a kind of "sticky".

4 hours ago, Requizen said:

This is why I stopped using Anvils with the new GHB. I'd hoped they would open up new routes of list approach but they doubled down on it. I don't like the gaming experience it creates anymore 

2 hours ago, PJetski said:

Don't forget:

"Can I cast my best spell?" No

The main weakness is still blobs + summoning imo, the only games I feel are extremely difficult for me are when I clear off objective holders and they summon 20-40 more on before I can outscore. It's really only an issue with LoN and Slaanesh atm, occasionally Khorne/Nurgle/Seraphon but not as often.

13 minutes ago, The World Tree said:

This is why I stopped using Anvils with the new GHB. I'd hoped they would open up new routes of list approach but they doubled down on it. I don't like the gaming experience it creates anymore 

Yeah I really enjoy it as a tournament list but no one at the FLGS likes it. Like, at all. 

Which is why I'm swapping to Orruks for a bit :P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nizrah said:

In typical anvil list we have 2 incators. But i wonder if its worth to change one to Casttelant. 10 Evos with 4+ sv die very quickly but with 3+ and maybe mystic shield they could stand some ground. Whats you think?

What are your Incantors getting attacked with?

If they are shooting your Incantors then they aren't shooting your Longstrikes and you'll win the game

If your Incantors are being attacked first then you have messed up your positioning

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Maturin said:

I've yet to read the Ultimate Anvil Strike Guide, for you know, just what you said in your previous comment aka pilot it flawlessly

A Guide wouldn’t work - it ultimately comes down to experience. Start playing the list, learn to self reflect and analyze,and most importantly have fun while doing it. 
I only have 3 games with this list, I can see it’s potential but as long as I still have issues with e.g. deployment or movement I will never get a 100% out of it or any other list :) I am also missing a lot of knowledge about other armies which is also a huge minus. But I learned to enjoy the process of learning although I loose a lot 🤗 

9 hours ago, PJetski said:

What are your Incantors getting attacked with?

If they are shooting your Incantors then they aren't shooting your Longstrikes and you'll win the game

If your Incantors are being attacked first then you have messed up your positioning

I want to protect Evocators, not Incantors.

1 hour ago, Nizrah said:

So Evocators, i ran them with Helardor into things then i delete this thing and they counter charge me and.... boom Evocators dies. Unit for 440 pts with 30 wounds dies very fast.

What are you charging into? What is counterattacking you?

In an Anvilstrike list the Evocators are your counterpunch unit for when the enemy gets too close. You shouldn't break formation unless the game state depends on it, or you can deal a crippling blow with low risk of counterattack.

Anvilstrike is about control and precision strikes, not aggression.

6 hours ago, Nizrah said:

So Evocators, i ran them with Helardor into things then i delete this thing and they counter charge me and.... boom Evocators dies. Unit for 440 pts with 30 wounds dies very fast.

Odd. In my experience with the Heraldor, the evocators either run into things, delete them and then snowball the rest of the game, or get ground down to 3/4 models while still giving as good as they get.

edit; I also play them as a counter attack unit behind a line of Sequitors in Astral Templars

Edited by PrimeElectrid

So, it’s low on heroes and CP will be tight but...

Azyros reroll 1 to hit bubble supporting:

Aquilor bringing in (and out in a pinch) 9 Longstrikes shooting at anything trying to run away from

6 Thundercats hitting on 2s wounding on 2s rerolling casting 2 spells with the cogs and rerolling all their saves?

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (220)
- General
- Trait: Deathly Aura  
- Artefact: Soulthief  
- Spell: Terrifying Aspect
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Lord-Aquilor (180)
Knight-Azyros (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (600)
- 4x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (510)
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 97

Hello everyone! 

New AOS player here!  I've made a Nurgle Deamons list that my brothers assembling and painting already. I wanted a 2nd army so I can play with friends who want to get into it and for some variety when I don't feel like spreading all my nurgle love.  I purchased the Souls war box, tempest of souls and some accouterments to make a janky list that looked fun. I'll be assembling and painting this army myself and will be my first foray into the hobby part of the game.  My goal is to deep strike with Ballista and screen with Sequitors, while my Incantors try to keep any bad spell juju from happening.

Heros:
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger : We Cannot Fail, Southeif, Spell: Speed of Lighting, Mount trait Wind Runner

Knight-Incantor

Knight-Incantor

Lord-Ordinator

Units:
Sequitors 10
Sequitors 10
Sequitors 5

Evocators 5

War Machines

4x Celestar Ballista
More 2 Ballista
13 More Sequitors