AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Howdy folks, need some comments to two of the lists I’m taking for a local tournament. Semi-competative with no FEC and skaven cheese. 

Scenarios are 

total conquest
battle for the pass
starstrike
Scorched earth
focal points

so, the army lists I’m considering; 

N1:

1750 pts 

No stormhost

LA on foot - stauch, azyrite Halo

Knight Heraldor - luckstone

Lord Relictor - teleport

Lord Ordinator 

5 lib - greathammer

5 lib - greathammer

5 sequitors

4 ballista

10 Evocators - sword and stave

Everblaze Comet

n2:

1750 pts

No stormhost

LAoGC - staff of focus, stauch, azyrite halo, wind runner

Lord Castellant

Lord Ordinator

Lord Relictor - teleport

20 sequitors

5 sequitors

5 sequitors

4 ballistas

Comet

Quicksilver swords

any thoughts? 🙂 

11 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

So the LA on Tauralon also includes the on-foot version? I don't really want a Tauralon :( might need to proxy the Getting Started incantor as a LAoF...

That's what I do. I think it also looks way cooler than the LA on foot.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

So the LA on Tauralon also includes the on-foot version? I don't really want a Tauralon :( might need to proxy the Getting Started incantor as a LAoF...

Yep.  I chopped his hand off and replaced with a scroll holding hand from an Evocator to signify him as the Arcanum not incantor (always best if your opponent has an easy way to tell all the almost identical stormcast apart!)

Edited by stato
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Requizen said:

I wonder if a Grand Convocation is a reasonable build now, down 40 points between Exorcist and Arcanum dropping in points. Exorcist is still nothing special, but at 120 you could do a lot worse. 

It's only as useful as the spells you are casting and the extra artefact/CP you gain from it.

None of the stormcast spells do more than d3 damage and none of the stormcast heroes are particularly good at combat.

The first thing that comes to mind is using the LA command ability to push a Purple Sun around. Maybe a LADrac with a dracoline squad and Sword of Judgment with +1 hit from Pride Leader? Or bring a LCOS with Smoldering Helm to act as an anvil while your wizards spam endless spells?

What about a Hammerstrike Force with Lauchon to push 15 Retributors forward?

Edited by PJetski

1 hour ago, stato said:

Yep.  I chopped his hand off and replaced with a scroll holding hand from an Evocator to signify him as the Arcanum not incantor (always best if your opponent has an easy way to tell all the almost identical stormcast apart!)

Not sure if I have any extra bits, since I only have heroes and the Soul Wars set but I will keep this in mind thank you!

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

It's only as useful as the spells you are casting and the extra artefact/CP you gain from it.

None of the stormcast spells do more than d3 damage and none of the stormcast heroes are particularly good at combat.

The first thing that comes to mind is using the LA command ability to push a Purple Sun around. Maybe a LADrac with a dracoline squad and Sword of Judgment with +1 hit from Pride Leader? Or bring a LCOS with Smoldering Helm to act as an anvil while your wizards spam endless spells?

What about a Hammerstrike Force with Lauchon to push 15 Retributors forward?

The Lord Arcanum Purple sun could work.

Lauchon w/ Retributors. Hmm. idk, getting Retributors into combat , when they cant fight in two ranks, is not exactly easy.

Lord-Arcanum at 160 is interesting.  For only 20 points more than an Incantor you get:

+1 wounds
+Cycle of the Storm
+D3/D6 mortal wound Arcane Bolt
+Thunderclap spell
+Situational command ability

You lose the dispel scroll so I think one Incantor is better than an Arcanum, but if you already have one Incantor then an Arcanum could be an interesting choice.

You can stack Thunderclap with the Skink Starpriest spell to give a unit -2 to hit rolls.

Maybe there's a Grand Convocation with Stardrake, Purple Sun, and Pendulum?

690 Convocation
680 Stardrake + Castellant
100 Purple Sun + Pendulum
100 Comet
1570, 430 left for battleline and some other non-hero unit (more spells?)

6 hours ago, crkhobbit said:

I would rather have a unit of 10 Evocators than a unit of 20 Sequitors.

Idk about that anymore tbh. (but we will have to see how the missions are later in the new gbh, that might throw us around how to focus our units).

I think both have their roles, even though the points are increased.
Like 440 vs 440
30W  vs 40W
spell caster/dispell vs not that
Not battleline vs can be battle line
4+ save vs 4+ reroll 1s  or reroll armor.
Tying up units with a big blob and the spell halo on is pretty neat.
Anyway the list goes on.

Just now, PJetski said:

460 Drakesworn Templar
690 Grand Convocation (LA)
260 Comet, Pendulum, Geminids, Purple Sun

1410/2000

Gives you 590 points for battleline and some kind of secondary threat unit (Concussors?)

This is a stupid list but I want to try it

I mean youre basically going for the Nagash endless spell spam list. id say go for it. aside from maybe skaven nothing should give you too much trouble. Just load up liberators and "delay units"

What about a Grand Convocation with a Tauralon?

830 Grand Convocation (+20 for Aventis)
580 Ballista + Ordinator 
300 Battleline Liberators
110 Geminids, Purple Sun, Pendulum

180 points left. Can take either the Comet or an Azyros, though I suspect the comet will be more valuable.

Could also go with Cogs + Ethereal Amulet on the Tauralon to make it really durable (with a 6+ ignore trait on top)

With Astral Templars you're looking at hitting MONSTER on 2+ if you pass over them and everything else on 3+ (rerolling 1s with Azyros). 

28 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

I mean youre basically going for the Nagash endless spell spam list. id say go for it. aside from maybe skaven nothing should give you too much trouble. Just load up liberators and "delay units"

The downside of those lists is that Nagash can only cast 1 endless spell per turn so his options are limited. One of the strengths of a Grand Convocation trying the same thing is that there are 4+ wizards in the list that can all cast endless spells at +1, or +2 with a Stardrake.

2 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

@PJetski this is extremely intriguing to me, as one of the painted Lizardmen models I kept is a skink priest.. however I already have a LAoGC, lady incantor, and LAoF/incantor. Would the priest even be worth the allied points?

I think 80 points for a WIZARD with 8" move and a good spell is not a bad deal.

Edited by PJetski
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

460 Drakesworn Templar
690 Grand Convocation (LA)
260 Comet, Pendulum, Geminids, Purple Sun

1410/2000

Gives you 590 points for battleline and some kind of secondary threat unit (Concussors?)

This is a stupid list but I want to try it

Actually tried this! Was about 6 months ago so before the new hotness of FEC, Skaven etc. Just bought Lib battleline and Aetherwings to screen. It was incredibly fun. 

19 hours ago, Nos said:

Actually tried this! Was about 6 months ago so before the new hotness of FEC, Skaven etc. Just bought Lib battleline and Aetherwings to screen. It was incredibly fun. 

Do you think it's feasible with a celestant on stardrake instead of a drakesworn ?

I assume you mean Palladors and i'd think the same list with Longstrikes and Anvils would do better. I also think that an endless spell that's 10% of your army is too much, especially with only one wizard and no bonuses to cast.

Longstrikes in anvils are efficient but bore me to death. Also they aren't fun to face and i don't want to bring this in small points game. People don't play meeting engagement to face the 1K point version of a tournament netlist

Edited by ledha