AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

All in all, Hallowed Knights aren't bad at all.

The ability to ignore spell effects (even endless) on a 6+ is a nice freeby which will do wonders against Magic spam.

The CA is a +1 to run and charge with Knight Heraldor run and charge buff on top. Only on 1 unit sadly, but It sounds really cool! 18" range for a general.

The command trait is situational (if you die in CC you pile in and attack anyway on a 2+) but I can't see anything in the wording to forbid having piled in and attacked already. Potential combo with Soul Flask suicide (for 3d3 mortals)+full attacks?

And the artefact is not thrash!(like most others). The bearer heals 1 wound in your hero phase. That's useful!

Ok, it's not Anvils CA spam, or Hammers Gavriel + 20 ressurrecting Sequitors. But it can be fun ?

• Like 1

I have (sadly) the feeling that almost all our former units are replaced one by one by the new (better) one...

So, before investing again on a whole new army,  how good....oups how bad are  the former rarely used  units like:

- celestan prime

- prosecutors

- vaguard hunters

- paladins

- palladors

A thought that only just occurred to me:

Castigators are only going to exist as part of the starter set and in their easy-to-build box, aren't they? And that's why they come in units of three. I'd just been assuming a multi-part kit was coming for them, but I'm now realising probably not.

Apologies if this was already blatantly obvious to everyone else :P 

28 minutes ago, Zitroni said:

Does anyone know in which phase Vandus Command Ability can be used?

Does he has to be within 3 of an enemy Unit to use it?

Vandus' command ability takes place in the combat phase, and affects HoS units wholly within 12" until the end of the phase

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I have (sadly) the feeling that almost all our former units are replaced one by one by the new (better) one...

So, before investing again on a whole new army,  how good....oups how bad are  the former rarely used  units like:

- celestan prime

- prosecutors

- vaguard hunters

- paladins

- palladors

Celestant Prime: better than before. Viable.

Prosecutors: more or less the same, less useful as Hammerstrike got destroyed

Vanguard Hunters: cheaper and arguably better (can enter from the board edge or by regular Scions, get -1 to be hit that turn)

Paladins: worse. Starsoul mace got a bit worse, no Hammerstrike. Protectors got a bit of a lateral change.

Palladors: cheaper thus better. No nerfs or buffs.

1250 pts army 

i was thinking about

arcanum on gryffcharger 

incantor 

2 fulminators

5 sequitors

10 sequitors

2 ballista 

coggs 

haven’t choose the ca and storm host yet... what do u think ? Just relying on turn 1 charge of fulminators with cogs ... other option is removing the incantor and coggs to add 5 evocators 

1 hour ago, SilverJay said:

Do we know if named characters can have mount traits, because it's stated they can't take artifacts of power or command traits, but I can't find any restriction on mount traits

no, name char cant have any trairs and wargear. Only scroll abilities

13 minutes ago, azmarus said:

no, name char cant have any trairs and wargear. Only scroll abilities 

Named Characters cannot have command traits or artefacts of powers.

Are the mount traits under the artifact of powers section in the new battletome?

32 minutes ago, Zitroni said:

Named Characters cannot have command traits or artefacts of powers.

Are the mount traits under the artifact of powers section in the new battletome?

No they aren't, they're under their own section called mount traits. All of the other items like armour and staffs etc are under artifacts of power, and have the words artifacts of power on their respective tables. The only instructions for mount traits are that they are used by heroes on mounts, and you can have 1 per battalion. So unless there's an errata or faq, then I can't see a reason why named characters can't have them

The mount traits are also a separate section of the battletome, and  it might be similar to how named characters can get a spell from the lores

Edited by SilverJay
  • Like 5

From the rules:

NAMED CHARACTERS
"Named characters such as Nagash, Archaon and Alarielle are singular and mighty warriors, with their own personalities and artefacts of power. As such, these models cannot have a command trait or artefact of power."

So there should be no limit on named characters for mount traits, prayers or spell lores.

Edited by Kadanga
on named characters for
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Does someone have the correct and exact description of the hammers of sigmar command ability? 

You can use this command ability when a friendly HAMMERS OF SIGMAR REDEEMER unit is destroyed. If you do so, roll a dice. On a 5+ a new unit identical to the one that was destroyed is added to your army. Set up the new unit anywhere on the battlefield, more than 9" from any enemy models.

15 minutes ago, PJetski said:

You can use this command ability when a friendly HAMMERS OF SIGMAR REDEEMER unit is destroyed. If you do so, roll a dice. On a 5+ a new unit identical to the one that was destroyed is added to your army. Set up the new unit anywhere on the battlefield, more than 9" from any enemy models.

So you can use it more than once for the same unit? Omg

6 minutes ago, Trajann Valoris said:

As long as you have enough command points to do so...

It's a bit risky to spend a command point on a 5+ roll

I think the trick will be to build a list with lots of command point generation. Lords of the Storm, Aetherquartz Brooch, etc.

Getting 20 Sequitors back even just once is absolutely brutal.

Also remember that Stormcast units are -1 to hit the turn they are Set Up. So if they kill a unit of Sequitors in shooting, and then you return them with the HoS ability, anything that charges them will be -1 to hit. 

It's a stupidly swingy ability. A list with big 10-20 man units of Sequitors is either going to make non-games or make you regret taking it as you roll 1-4 every time. 

RAW you can use the ability multiple times on the same unit and with some luck you can not only respawn the unit but also create duplicates.

Hammers of Sigmar... Do you feel lucky?

Not sure how the CP refunds work with that ability. There is no defined "stack" or "chain" that describes how effects resolve in AOS, so that will require an answer in the FAQ.

Edited by PJetski
  • Like 1