AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

5 minutes ago, ledha said:

Because evocators are as good in horde clearing while being 100 time better in everything else. Sadly, that's all.

Everytime i want to take a unit of paladins, i realize taking a unit of evocator instead is the best choice

More or less yeah. Decimators have to have very good positioning and not be counter positioned to do their thing - if the opponent strings out correctly, you won't get that many swings per Deci. Meanwhile, Sword Evos are getting 4 attacks at the same profile all the time while also having their zappy hands, which are better on average than Starsoul Maces (until they get a lot of losses). 

The only Paladin unit that has uses is Protectors, and then only if you're going slow footslog and want the shooting protection from their Glaives. That's... it. They're also sometimes better against Monsters, I guess?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nizrah said:

Why no1 is using decimators in current horde meta? vs 25 mm bases ( witch elves, skeletons, ghost ) they attack like 7-9 each. Im not talking to taking them instead of Evocators but to take 1 pack extra.  Im gonna test them next time.

Its not like they’re bad, its just that evocators are better all around

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Requizen said:

+18" charge range on the drop, obviously ?

Why? when we can drop them at 9" and only use 2 or 3 ? Makes no sense to me. And I am not sure Gav can target 2 different units with his ability, but if he can ( can he? ) it would make sense again to me.

8 hours ago, XReN said:

I would probably go with fulminators and LCoD, because Fulminators have a natural 2+ reroling 1s save against shooting, so you buffing them won't be vital, and Celestant because he will have same 2+ rerolling 1s thanks to the staunch. You should try and hunt down his heroes who go too close to objectives with ballista and maybe spells, make skinks run away from fulminators and hold one of the objectives with LCoD

That makes good sense now and I wish I had tried it, the game was last night but I was victorious anyway thankfully. He pulled a surprise move and brought 2x10 Saurus Guard instead of the skinks so it all worked out. I was anxious for nothing I guess. Thanks for the input though Ill try that build next game which goes up to 1250

32 minutes ago, schwabbele said:

Why? when we can drop them at 9" and only use 2 or 3 ? Makes no sense to me. And I am not sure Gav can target 2 different units with his ability, but if he can ( can he? ) it would make sense again to me.

So far I've been using 7 CP in turn 1 to add 21" to the evocators charge to really get stuck in right where it hurts. 

I reckon this'll be dead come January so making the most of it now. 

Edited by yarrickson

1 hour ago, schwabbele said:

Who needs FLY to get past screens, when you can drop near the edge of one and run all the way around them to the things behind? If your screen isn't edge-to-edge on the board, or completely surround the thing inside in a perfect circle, you ain't safe from an average 25" charge.

14 minutes ago, Future said:

Will the January FAQ just be rules with points coming in GHB 2019 or will the faq handle tweaks to points as well?

40k went like this: Chapter Approved (GHB for 40k) changed points, big FAQ 1 tweaked any points that were really bad, big FAQ 2 only touched rules. Who knows what it'll be going forwards, but I doubt we'll see any point changes unless Evocators take all top 3 at a large event or something. So far, they're powerful but people haven't been complaining about them on Facebook, which is what GW reacts to.

• Like 2

I think my main issue with Gavriel bombs is that it’s being used to bypass screening units, or being used to get a big multi charge off in order to kill many units at once. I would like to see some reasonable restrictions put on the ability such as only allowed once per turn, or being forced to contact a specific unit first, or both of these. I feel Deepkin have some similar issues that need addressing too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Requizen said:

Who needs FLY to get past screens, when you can drop near the edge of one and run all the way around them to the things behind? If your screen isn't edge-to-edge on the board, or completely surround the thing inside in a perfect circle, you ain't safe from an average 25" charge.

Haha that’s nice ? my local players always bubble wrap a prime target so i didn’t even think of charging around a screen. That’s neat but comes with a cost .

8 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

I think my main issue with Gavriel bombs is that it’s being used to bypass screening units, or being used to get a big multi charge off in order to kill many units at once. 

You make it sound that this comes for free, in this case he is spending 300pts for that. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, yarrickson said:

At the risk of being dubbed a fun sponge. Here's the list I'm taking to a tournament at the weekend. I'll update with how I do afterwards ?

Screenshot_20181003-175716.png

I saw the photos of your army and wondered where are the rest of it, now when I saw 6 CP it all makes sence)

You make it sound that this comes for free, in this case he is spending 300pts for that. 

I wasn’t talking about that guy, just the ability to stack cps in general. It only really takes 2 CPs to charge past most screens. 6 is wasteful imo, and those points could be used for something else.

5 minutes ago, Mark Williams said:

I wasn’t talking about that guy, just the ability to stack cps in general. It only really takes 2 CPs to charge past most screens. 6 is wasteful imo, and those points could be used for something else.

Past what exactly you can charge with 6+2d6? Any 10 models unit on 25mm bases will be unpasseble. It's never going to be enough, considering you have to charge 9" to even get into combat with screening unit.

Haha that’s nice ? my local players always bubble wrap a prime target so i didn’t even think of charging around a screen. That’s neat but comes with a cost .

Is it possible to 3" electricute those prime targets over the screen or is the bubble wrap too big? 

31 minutes ago, XReN said:

Past what exactly you can charge with 6+2d6? Any 10 models unit on 25mm bases will be unpasseble. It's never going to be enough, considering you have to charge 9" to even get into combat with screening unit.

You just have to get within 3 inches of whatever is behind them. You scions askew of the unit you want to charge and wrap around the side, the ones on the side just go straight past them as far as they can get. This will usually end up with a few models closer to the unit behind them than the unit you charged. Then use 3” pilein to close the gap even more (obeying rules ofc). Majority of your attacks kill the screen, lightning charge deals 10-ish mortal wounds to the unit behind it.

The unit behind the screen has to sit almost 9” back to guard against +6”. Burn 3cp and your basically running out of table space at that point to space your units apart. 

Yeah, you can roll bad, but on average you get 13+ inches which is more than enough to wrap around the back of stuff.

Edited by Mark Williams

6 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

You just have to get within 3 inches of whatever is behind them. You scions askew of the unit you want to charge and wrap around the side, the ones on the side just go straight past them as far as they can get. This will usually end up with a few models closer to the unit behind them than the unit you charged. Then use 3” pilein to close the gap even more (obeying rules ofc). Majority of your attacks kill the screen, lightning charge deals 10-ish mortal wounds to the unit behind it.

The unit behind the screen has to sit almost 9” back to guard against +6”. Burn 3cp and your basically running out of table space at that point to space your units apart. 

Yeah, you can roll bad, but on average you get 13+ inches which is more than enough to wrap around the back of stuff.

I have a hard time imagining how you can bypass a screen when facing even semi-compitent opponent with at least 30 semi-disspossable models in their army. It is basicly a 60" WALL of no-go. If I were to face a stormcast with surecharge I would do exactly that - build a stupidly cheap wall of whatever available and countercharge my opponent when he wipes it out

Edited by XReN
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

If you can't fly, you won't bypass a wall of models. Except if your opponent make a screen with 5 models to protect his whole army, or if you roll a 12 and burn 8 CP maybe

Edited by ledha

2 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Anyone having success with the Arcanum and Evocators on Dracolines in a 2k? If so, would you mind sharing? Cheers. 

Yeah I've talked about it a few times in this thread

It's not the best list but it's a good mix of speed, deep strike, melee, and shooting. Its versatility can lead you to victories through objective play

dracolines.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

Yeah I've talked about it a few times in this thread

It's not the best list but it's a good mix of speed, deep strike, melee, and shooting. Its versatility can lead you to victories through objective play

dracolines.png

Dood, this is sweet. Thanks man. So Warding Lantern on the pack of Dracs? Would it be a massive waste if I fancied some Sequitors instead of Libs and dropped a Ballista or the Arcanum on Charger down to an Incantor maybe?