AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I planned on taking 2 units of aetherwings they look just insane for stopping a lot of charges as you mentioned. My question is the 6-9 longstrikes worth more than 2-3 ballista? Any sce list can take either and I only ever see the ballista but wasn't sure why.

7 hours ago, Black Blade said:

Ok guys I have posted a few lists here in the past with no feedback or responses but I could really use it today. This is my first game in a competition ever. Here is my current list, I know I will be playing Seraphon in the realm of Fire and the plan is Duality of Death. It is a 1000 pt game. I expect a lot of skinks. I have almost one of everything for the Stormcast built ouside of Vanguard options. Too many heroes? not enough board presence? what do you think?

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Lord-Celestant On Dracoth (220)
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
- Artefact: Dimensional Blade 
- Mount Trait: Keen-clawed
Lord-Castellant (100)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo

Battleline
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warblade & Shield
- 2x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
2 x Fulminators (240)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 58

I would rather not use LCoD on 1000pts
He might be good, but too expensive for my taste, I usually take 10 libs, 5 juds, relictor with translocation, castellant and go from there.
Also I played something similar two weekends before against mostly skryre skaven army and going to battle without shooting felt terrible

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Future said:

I planned on taking 2 units of aetherwings they look just insane for stopping a lot of charges as you mentioned. My question is the 6-9 longstrikes worth more than 2-3 ballista? Any sce list can take either and I only ever see the ballista but wasn't sure why.

I take 6 man unit longstrikes because from my experience with them and the balistas the longstrikes are more capable of dealing Mw with their headshot and the fearsome -2 rend and 2 dmg output 

But they are expensive :( 

8 hours ago, Requizen said:

It really depends.  Hurricanes have weight of fire, Longstrikes have predictable punching power. Ballistas feel like the new hotness because they have a bit of both - they put out good number of shots in half range, while also having that important -2Rend.  The damage is swingy, since it's not great hit rolls in half range and also is d6 hits, but when it goes off, it goes off.

I will say, I think if you're looking for a mid-price investment that delivers consistently, 3-6 Hurricanes or 6-9 Longstrikes will put out more reliable results, and the Longstrikes can do so from a safe distance at all points in the game. However, you will have to live with their downsides (low number of shots and limited mobility on the Longstrikes, short range and swingy dice on the Hurricanes). 

Also, Aetherwings are still dope. People write them off, but they basically guarantee shut down at least one charge for each unit you take, which is not terrible for 50 points, and they still hold objectives and move fast, so they can't be ignored. Aetherstrike was really strong with them giving retaliatory shooting, but they're still worth the points imo if you're taking a reasonable amount of Raptors.

for the longstrike, i want to point that their predictable power is very low (3 attacks dmg 2 is very limited, it's like 2,4 wounds in average), while being VERY frail. 6 wounds for 180 pts ??

For 3 longstrike, you can nearly take 2 ballista, which seems better in everyway than 3 longstrike, either in resilience, average damage or peak damage.

Hurricane are very good. 6 for 240 pts and more than 50 shots can be devastating.

Edited by ledha
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ledha said:

for the longstrike, i want to point that their predictable power is very low (3 attacks dmg 2 is very limited, it's like 2,4 wounds in average), while being VERY frail. 6 wounds for 180 pts ??

For 3 longstrike, you can nearly take 2 ballista, which seems better in everyway than 3 longstrike, either in resilience, average damage or peak damage.

Hurricane are very good. 6 for 240 pts and more than 50 shots can be devastating.

I really want to agree with you because the point cost is HUGE but the balista are a little unpredictable for sniping heroes and if you want to (and if you roll lucky rolls) drop them close they are sitting ducks :(  

i don’t know I am a little concerned with the balista unit still . 

Have the 2 balista maybe with an ordinator performed good in your matches ?

35 minutes ago, Namelessone81 said:

I really want to agree with you because the point cost is HUGE but the balista are a little unpredictable for sniping heroes and if you want to (and if you roll lucky rolls) drop them close they are sitting ducks :(  

i don’t know I am a little concerned with the balista unit still . 

Have the 2 balista maybe with an ordinator performed good in your matches ?

Do you think that 3 attacks 3+/3+/-2/2 for 180 pts are that reliable in taking out a hero ? I'm pretty sure that for 20 pts more, even 2 knight venators would do the job better, and they aren't considered as a good unit.

And balista are not sitting duck. With 7 wounds for 100 pts, they aren't more fragile than, for example, a unit of judicators (10 wounds for 160 pts), and they have a 2+ save in cover.

I only use a ordinator with 3 ballista or more.

• Thanks 1

I made some "calculations" on 3 Longstrikes Vs 3 Hurricanes:

image.png.7920e34678025501a7ef277de257b377.png

I assumed that there are no bonuses and rerolls and that the Hurricanes did not move and that the difference in range didn't mattered.

It seems that Hurricanes are better than Longstrikes in damage output (except versus a save of 3+ or better),  and they are also cheaper (140 versus 180). Longstrikes have better range something that matters in a real game.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, ledha said:

Do you think that 3 attacks 3+/3+/-2/2 for 180 pts are that reliable in taking out a hero ? I'm pretty sure that for 20 pts more, even 2 knight venators would do the job better, and they aren't considered as a good unit.

And balista are not sitting duck. With 7 wounds for 100 pts, they aren't more fragile than, for example, a unit of judicators (10 wounds for 160 pts), and they have a 2+ save in cover.

Ok I hear what you say but I was talking about a 6 man unit of longstrikes . But still you have a point yeah , maybe I did some really ****** rolls with the balistas :( I will definitely have to give them another chance 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, XReN said:

I would rather not use LCoD on 1000pts
He might be good, but too expensive for my taste, I usually take 10 libs, 5 juds, relictor with translocation, castellant and go from there.
Also I played something similar two weekends before against mostly skryre skaven army and going to battle without shooting felt terrible

first off, thank you so much for responding i was afraid  i wouldnt get any advice. The only reason I thought I would take him is because of the 40 blob of skinks, only way to score is with heroes and to kill the engine of the gods. you think i can compete on this scenario agaisnt that shooting without him?

5 minutes ago, Black Blade said:

first off, thank you so much for responding i was afraid  i wouldnt get any advice. The only reason I thought I would take him is because of the 40 blob of skinks, only way to score is with heroes and to kill the engine of the gods. you think i can compete on this scenario agaisnt that shooting without him?

the LOCD is very hit or miss at 1000 pts.

Either your opponent have mortal wounds and will snipe him off as soon as possible, or he doesn't have mortal wound/high rend, and your celestant will basically do whatever he want while stomping everything in his path.

I would give him the staunch defenders (bigger base) as well as the lightning hammer instead of the tempestos hammer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Black Blade said:

Hmmm, I wasn't overthinking it so adviced something that is mine go-to 1000pts list I feel like being very balanced
If you want to have more chances against shooting - you can't go wrong with mirror shield.
Also decimators are quite devastating when they go close and personal with anything that have one wound and low saves, so I would recommend those, instead of dracots. And for shooting to scare out enemy hero from sitting on objective I would swap 5 liberators for ballista, unless there will be bastilladon - nothing in seraphon army will be comfortable under -2 rend bolt shower

Edited by XReN
  • Thanks 1

However, with that list being 40 points under 1000 and no particulary usefull endless spells here (Maybe pendulum to swing over one of the objectives?)
I think you can also try to fight through enemy army with lord celestant  (axe/tempestos + pack leader) + fulminator's charge, trying to cripple him as much as you can and then running down his heroes, but that is risky IMO (and I like it)

Leaders
Lord-Celestant On Dracoth (220)
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Units
5 x Decimators (200)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 20
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 60

P.S. Don't mind weapon options, I wasn't changing those

Edited by XReN

2 hours ago, XReN said:

However, with that list being 40 points under 1000 and no particulary usefull endless spells here (Maybe pendulum to swing over one of the objectives?)
I think you can also try to fight through enemy army with lord celestant  (axe/tempestos + pack leader) + fulminator's charge, trying to cripple him as much as you can and then running down his heroes, but that is risky IMO (and I like it)

Leaders
Lord-Celestant On Dracoth (220)
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Units
5 x Decimators (200)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 20
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 60

P.S. Don't mind weapon options, I wasn't changing those

this does look interesting. I like risky plays as well. Im a little worried he is going to bring 80 skinks and just shoot me to death and just harass me by never letting my slow units engage. IF you had to choose between the list you posted or this one which do you think would be better? It occured to me that evocators  have a natural defense against shooting and will chew through most of his units if i hit them with the warding lantern and staunch defender a unit of 10 to just clear his objective. maybe an azyrite halo on them too? I think he will be taking an engine of the gods as well. so those are my two real targets (skinks and EotG)

Leaders
Lord-Castellant (100)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Mystic Light (Artefact): Lantern of the Tempest
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 10x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 68

I know its a big change from the LCoD strategy

6 hours ago, ledha said:

6 hours ago, Bradipo322 said:

I made some "calculations" on 3 Longstrikes Vs 3 Hurricanes:

image.png.7920e34678025501a7ef277de257b377.png

I assumed that there are no bonuses and rerolls and that the Hurricanes did not move and that the difference in range didn't mattered.

It seems that Hurricanes are better than Longstrikes in damage output (except versus a save of 3+ or better),  and they are also cheaper (140 versus 180). Longstrikes have better range something that matters in a real game.

It is worth noting that the strengths of the Longstrikes really push their role. Hitting Heroes while not relying on a lucky Scions placement is something that Longstrikes do better than any other unit. Often those heroes will have 3+ saves or rerollable saves, so the -2 is important. 

If we were just talking pure math output, you'd never take them. But, sometimes you really need to put wounds on that Tzaangor Oracle behind the Skyfires, or Grot Shaman behind the screen, or Castellant that's buffing a unit of Sequitors. At that, Longstrikes are generally speaking the most reliable. Especially if you're running Anvils and pop off multiple extra shots with them. 

• Like 3

Yes, genuine long range shooting is something very rare and precious in AOS. Combined with Rain of Stars and the Comet (possibly even stormcaller), you can really threaten the heroes of your opponents. Hurricane Crossbows fulfil a similar role to Judicators - medium range damage - but without the battleline status.

I've thought this list for a final of a small league. Playing against LON with nagash himself and lots of skellies. The battleplan is going to be escalation.

The idea is dropping the three ballistas with the ordinator behind enemy lines and triying to kill nagash the faster I can. Maybe also the general, to use the mindlock staff, and a unit the unit of 10 sequitors or evocators to cover the ballistas. The judicators and castigators have the mission to make sure that nagash die, kill other heroes or kill some skellies. The rest of the force take points.

What do you think?

- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

LEADERS
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
- Command Trait : Deathly Aura
- Artefact : Soulthief
- Celestial Staves (Artefact) : Mindlock Staff
- Spell : Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait : Aethereal Stalker
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer : Translocation

UNITS
10 x Sequitors (240)
-Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 5 x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (120)
- 3 x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Judicators (160)
-Skybolt Bows
- 1 x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5 x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration : Celestial Blades
5 x Evocators (200)
- Lore of Invigoration : Speed of Lightning
3 x Castigators (80)

WAR MACHINES

Celestar Ballista (100)

Celestar Ballista (100)

Celestar Ballista (100)

BATTALIONS

Cleansing Phalanx (120)

• Like 1

hey guys, i was thinking, do you think a hammer of sigmar list with :

Lord arcanum

Lord Castellant

Lord Castellant

4x20 sequitors

soulsnare shackles

would do well in a tournament ?

bonus question : how much sport points someone playing this would have ?

Edited by ledha

18 hours ago, Black Blade said:

this does look interesting. I like risky plays as well. Im a little worried he is going to bring 80 skinks and just shoot me to death and just harass me by never letting my slow units engage. IF you had to choose between the list you posted or this one which do you think would be better? It occured to me that evocators  have a natural defense against shooting and will chew through most of his units if i hit them with the warding lantern and staunch defender a unit of 10 to just clear his objective. maybe an azyrite halo on them too? I think he will be taking an engine of the gods as well. so those are my two real targets (skinks and EotG)

Leaders
Lord-Castellant (100)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Mystic Light (Artefact): Lantern of the Tempest
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 10x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 68

I know its a big change from the LCoD strategy

I would probably go with fulminators and LCoD, because Fulminators have a natural 2+ reroling 1s save against shooting, so you buffing them won't be vital, and Celestant because he will have same 2+ rerolling 1s thanks to the staunch. You should try and hunt down his heroes who go too close to objectives with ballista and maybe spells, make skinks run away from fulminators and hold one of the objectives with LCoD

9 hours ago, Sin_ozono said:

I've thought this list for a final of a small league. Playing against LON with nagash himself and lots of skellies. The battleplan is going to be escalation.

The idea is dropping the three ballistas with the ordinator behind enemy lines and triying to kill nagash the faster I can. Maybe also the general, to use the mindlock staff, and a unit the unit of 10 sequitors or evocators to cover the ballistas. The judicators and castigators have the mission to make sure that nagash die, kill other heroes or kill some skellies. The rest of the force take points.

What do you think?

- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

LEADERS
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
- Command Trait : Deathly Aura
- Artefact : Soulthief
- Celestial Staves (Artefact) : Mindlock Staff
- Spell : Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait : Aethereal Stalker
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer : Translocation

UNITS
10 x Sequitors (240)
- 5 x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (120)
- 3 x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Judicators (160)
-Skybolt Bows
- 1 x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5 x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration : Celestial Blades
5 x Evocators (200)
- Lore of Invigoration : Speed of Lightning
3 x Castigators (80)

WAR MACHINES

Celestar Ballista (100)

Celestar Ballista (100)

Celestar Ballista (100)

BATTALIONS

Cleansing Phalanx (120)

Looks interesting for sure. I think it has enough hitting power to do work, but it is a bit reliant on the shooting, which can be dicey against things like Sylvaneth, Idoneth, or DoK (though most people go Hagg-Nar now).

Against Legions, just be wary about relying on the shooting. Getting the Ballistas in range might be tricky, since he can bubble out bodies really easily, and 3 Ballistas only do 7-8 wounds to Nagash per turn on average. However, if you get good swings, it could really do some damage, and crippling him early can change the tide of battle by quite a bit. Let us know how it does!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Nizrah said:

Why no1 is using decimators in current horde meta? vs 25 mm bases ( witch elves, skeletons, ghost ) they attack like 7-9 each. Im not talking to taking them instead of Evocators but to take 1 pack extra.  Im gonna test them next time.

Because evocators are as good in horde clearing while being 100 time better in everything else. Sadly, that's all.

Everytime i want to take a unit of paladins, i realize taking a unit of evocator instead is the best choice

Edited by ledha
  • Like 2