AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I'm new to this hobby, just have Soul Wars + Tempest of Souls + Storm Strike (all the starter sets). So have a lot of general infantry.

I want to paint something larger, but I also want it to be able to compliment my existing stormcast units in an actual game (competitive).

What would you guys recommend I invest in?

4 hours ago, Skasian said:

I'm new to this hobby, just have Soul Wars + Tempest of Souls + Storm Strike (all the starter sets). So have a lot of general infantry.

I want to paint something larger, but I also want it to be able to compliment my existing stormcast units in an actual game (competitive).

Aventis Fire strike would be the natural centerpiece to go with all your sacrosanct infantry. Or a Star drake might be a good choice. Still a lot of armies can't deal with him. But I'd recommend a Celestant Prime. I've played against him several times recently and I'm always impressed by his utility. Between his comet ability and the guaranteed 12" charge he can really impact a game when he drops from the sky. 

5 hours ago, Skasian said:

Star Drake probably the most competitive option (and my personal recommendation), but Prime can also be very fun for games if you know what you're getting. Prime is a good bit cheaper (points and $$$).

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Knight-Azyros (100)
- Artefact: God-forged Blade
Gavriel Sureheart (100)
Lord-Arcanum (180)
- General
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
15 x Sequitors (360)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 7x Stormsmite Greatmaces
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
2 x Fulminators (240)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 120

What about it now guys?

23 hours ago, Bellfree said:

Why hammers with no Gavriel? Their stormhost bonuses are pretty trash even compared to just generic Staunch defender+good relic(a 1/3 chance to get one of two units back if you're exceptionally lucky is pretty poor, the 6+ FNP isn't even as good as staunch with that many reroll saves, the +1 bravery is irrelevant and the relic is dog-excrement) let alone the better stormhosts.

You're also paying some REALLY heavy taxes to get +1 to cast on stormcast's actually fairly mediocre spells(essentially 270 points between the battalion cost and the lord exorcist.)

Why don't you ask Bdp5? )
I know that hammers are pointless and I don't care why people would run them without Gavriel, maybe going with the painting scheme?

2 hours ago, XReN said:

Why don't you ask Bdp5? )
I know that hammers are pointless and I don't care why people would run them without Gavriel, maybe going with the painting scheme?

the +1 bravery put our units to 8 bravery, making most of the nighthaunt sheaningan (and other potential bravery bomb, like the sylvaneth dreadwood) definitely useless, and more important, prevent the mindrazor from the DOK to give DMG 2 against our troops.

A 6+ invu is not as good as staunch defenders, but it always work, even when you charge, and against mortal wounds, so while it's definitely not as powerful, it has flexibility and is far from useless.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ledha said:

the +1 bravery put our units to 8 bravery, making most of the nighthaunt sheaningan (and other potential bravery bomb, like the sylvaneth dreadwood) definitely useless, and more important, prevent the mindrazor from the DOK to give DMG 2 against our troops.

A 6+ invu is not as good as staunch defenders, but it always work, even when you charge, and against mortal wounds, so while it's definitely not as powerful, it has flexibility and is far from useless.

Fair enough, still taking any named character makes it much better. 

Hi!

I'm new to aos but somehow manage to get to the final in a small tournament we are playing in my store.

I play sc, usually as anvils, and I'm facing legions of nagash with nagash himself and a lot of skellies in the final.

How would you deal with them? The choosen map is escalation and is a 2000p match.

I've been thinking about 3xballistas+ ordinator drop to deal with nagash but I've no idea if there could be a better way to not get wrecked. Also thinking about bringing the mindlock staff to win time.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Sin_ozono said:

Hi!

I'm new to aos but somehow manage to get to the final in a small tournament we are playing in my store.

I play sc, usually as anvils, and I'm facing legions of nagash with nagash himself and a lot of skellies in the final.

How would you deal with them? The choosen map is escalation and is a 2000p match.

I've been thinking about 3xballistas+ ordinator drop to deal with nagash but I've no idea if there could be a better way to not get wrecked. Also thinking about bringing the mindlock staff to win time.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Ballista drop seems to be as good as you can get when dealing with Nagash, try to hold out until you know where he is placed, before doing your ballistas, It might be better to safely shoot him at 30" distance with double shooting from Anvils than droping in, if he will have first turn and ability to make 18" scion deny zone. And if not sure - split it up with 1 ballista on the table, to have a of crippling him turn 1 and 2 ballistas in reserve

19 hours ago, chord said:

I've been toying around with the idea of pairing a Knight-Azyros general with a Celestant Prime.  

Knight-Azyros has Staunch Defender and Fury Brand,  this could give the CP, Re-Roll Hit rolls of 1,  an extra attack and a +1 save.  Additionally the Knight Azyros can keep up easily with him and prior to the CP dropping down, can take the +1 attack for themselves. 

That actually sounds pretty interesting, The Prime is the only guy I can think of that lantern would be useful on.

Do you know if the Prime can gain a stormhost keyword?

Edited by Black Blade
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Blade said:

That actually sounds pretty interesting, The Prime is the only guy I can think of that lantern would be useful on.

Do you know if the Prime can gain a stormhost keyword?

Prime gains whatever Stormhost your army is. 

Downside to the Prime is that he is more or less dead weight when you do Total Commitment, which every tournament does. 

• Thanks 1

Hey All!

So I recently received a great deal on a large sum of Vanguard Auxillary, but I'm not 100% sure tactically what to do with it.  Does anyone still play Vanguard at all or has everyone moved on to Sacrosanct?

Few notes on the army, I have 30 Hunters, 9 Pallidors, and a mish mash of other stuff all lumped together.

43 minutes ago, BWG Cannonball said:

Hey All!

So I recently received a great deal on a large sum of Vanguard Auxillary, but I'm not 100% sure tactically what to do with it.  Does anyone still play Vanguard at all or has everyone moved on to Sacrosanct?

Few notes on the army, I have 30 Hunters, 9 Pallidors, and a mish mash of other stuff all lumped together.

It's fairly solid imo, though it plays much different. Good that you have that many Palladors, I think you can run a 6-9 man unit as a strong anvil unit, especially if you have an Aquilor following them around with Staunch. They don't kill well, but for the points they're fairly hard to kill, and if you constantly use the Aquilor CA to teleport them off and then charge back in, you're getting a lot of use out of Shock and Awe to make them even harder to shift. 

Do you have any Longstrikes in that set? 6+ of them on the table is still quite scary for many armies to face.

• Like 2

I do have 6 Longstrikes in total.  Overall I have the below now:

Lord Aquillor
Celestant on Stardrake
Celestant on Dracoth
Knight Azyros
2x Knight Venator
Lord Relictor

Lord Veritant
10 Liberators
30 Vanguard-Hunters
9 Pallidors
6 Longstrikes
5 Retributors
9 Prosecutors
8 Gryph-Hounds
Unit of Aetherwings

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/AoS2_GHB19_Hidden_Agendas_Download-1-1.pdf

New official secondary missions for Matched Play, secretly chosen at the beginning of each round. SCE perspective:

• Secret Mission: If you think you can get away with not having it, you can literally just Scions a Hero onto your opponent's back line if they leave room. Otherwise, a Gryph Charger Hero using Ride the Winds or the Aquilor CA can do this easy.
  • Ancient Heirlooms: Should be pretty easy if you're running a tanky hero like a Stardrake or one that's hiding like an Incantor with a Staff. Otherwise, it depends on the matchup/mission.
  • Terrify: Eh. Will anyone use this? I guess if you're playing against Grots or something and they don't have enough CP for Inspiring Presence or something?
  • Invade: Fairly solid choice. Sequitors, Evocators, Paladins, and sneaky Judis/Libs are good candidates, as are sneaky allied Skinks. 
  • Seize: Highly depends on the matchup. We're not particularly great at holding multiple objectives unless we're also smashing the opponent due to our low model count, so I think this will be less common to use.
  • Defend: Super hard, but maybe if you're playing a slow footslog army and have stuff like big Sequitor/Liberator walls to keep them back? This seems like one of the less likely ones. Might take it on Knife to the Heart against certain matchups, I guess.
  • Slay: If you're running stuff that can hunt Heroes easy - Longstrikes, MW ranged spam, etc - then this is great. But with things like Look Out Sir and Heroes becoming tankier in general thanks to Malign Sorcery, I would think most armies with an expensive Hero will be hard to score this on. Occasionally it'll be an easy get against like pure Grots or something, I guess.
  • Conserve: If you're playing a tanky, grindy army, this might be a good go-to. Armies that rock lots of 3+ or 2+ saves and then face off against things with no MWs? Easy pick.
  • Attrition: We're fairly solid at killing things. If you're running Evo bombs, this is likely a good choice unless they're super MSU and spread out.
  • Linebreaker: Too variable to really judge in general. 20 Sequitors or 30 Liberators (or Judis hiding in the back) will be good at the surviving part, but the killing part really shifts depending on what the opponent has.
  • Centre Ground: Less dependent on the enemy, more on the mission. If you're playing Focal Points, you can drop a shield wall around a tanky character and just grind it out. But, since it's objective holding, I think this'll be a rare pick.
  • Sacrifice: Good mind games here. If your opponent is good at Hero hunting (Skyfires, Kharadron, certain Wizard armies, etc), just take this and play aggresive as heck with your Hero. Obviously never run if you're doing Stardrake.

I like these overall. There's no easy one that I'd just take every time, but I feel like each one is achievable except in certain circumstances. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

It's fairly solid imo, though it plays much different. Good that you have that many Palladors, I think you can run a 6-9 man unit as a strong anvil unit, especially if you have an Aquilor following them around with Staunch. They don't kill well, but for the points they're fairly hard to kill, and if you constantly use the Aquilor CA to teleport them off and then charge back in, you're getting a lot of use out of Shock and Awe to make them even harder to shift. 

Do you have any Longstrikes in that set? 6+ of them on the table is still quite scary for many armies to face.

Thanks for this @Requizen!  Any idea on a good start place for me in terms of the other items?  I'd like to run more Vanguard Hunters than Liberators, but from what I read not a lot of individuals are fans of them.  I just think they look awesome and the amount of attacks seems interesting.  My original though was large blobs of them with Staunch Defender, but Palladors would probably work out better.

EDIT: Also, would you guys recommend the Vanguard Battalions or no?

Edited by BWG Cannonball

27 minutes ago, BWG Cannonball said:

Thanks for this @Requizen!  Any idea on a good start place for me in terms of the other items?  I'd like to run more Vanguard Hunters than Liberators, but from what I read not a lot of individuals are fans of them.  I just think they look awesome and the amount of attacks seems interesting.  My original though was large blobs of them with Staunch Defender, but Palladors would probably work out better.

EDIT: Also, would you guys recommend the Vanguard Battalions or no?

I really like Justicar Conclave (3 units of Raptors + 3 units of Aetherwings). It's all units I would want to take, plus rerolls, a CP, and an Artifact. But, it's a bit expensive and does limit your army composition. 

Angelos Conclave is an ignorable ability... but if you're going Vanguard anyways, you're taking 3+ units of Hunters and 1+ units of Palladors, so... I guess it's something? 

8 hours ago, Sin_ozono said:

Hi!

Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Take 4 + Ordinator. You wanna make sure you whoop his boney behind real good.  

Does anyone know of any good conversions for a Lord Relictor? Wanna take one for a Vanguard chamber army idea I've got but don't wanna have to put down the money for a SC box just to get one. Struggling to get one online since I'm on Japan and even looking at UK eBay to get sent via a friend they seem a bit on the expensive side whilst half of them would also requiring paint stripping.

The force will ultimately be combined as part of a larger Living City force so bonus points for anyone that can think of how to bring the theme in.

I was thinking of using a Vexillor and replacing the top with the Dryad branches with a skeleton in it but the Lord Relictor coffin thing seems huge in pictures and this would be a lot smaller.

Ok guys I have posted a few lists here in the past with no feedback or responses but I could really use it today. This is my first game in a competition ever. Here is my current list, I know I will be playing Seraphon in the realm of Fire and the plan is Duality of Death. It is a 1000 pt game. I expect a lot of skinks. I have almost one of everything for the Stormcast built ouside of Vanguard options. Too many heroes? not enough board presence? what do you think?

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Lord-Celestant On Dracoth (220)
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
- Artefact: Dimensional Blade 
- Mount Trait: Keen-clawed
Lord-Castellant (100)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo

Battleline
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warblade & Shield
- 2x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
2 x Fulminators (240)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 58

6 hours ago, Requizen said:

A few pages ago I also mentioned starting a vanguard list and I have been working on it with one question. Between hurricane crossbow, longstrike raptors, Castigators and Ballista, how do you really decide on supporting troops?

hurricane seems like its very spam heavy but might be good. Longstrike seems to be very guaranteed damage which can also be good. However I see most people take a Ballista these days and I am assuming they are under costed. What is the point of taking these other units over a Ballista?  

1 hour ago, Future said:

A few pages ago I also mentioned starting a vanguard list and I have been working on it with one question. Between hurricane crossbow, longstrike raptors, Castigators and Ballista, how do you really decide on supporting troops?

hurricane seems like its very spam heavy but might be good. Longstrike seems to be very guaranteed damage which can also be good. However I see most people take a Ballista these days and I am assuming they are under costed. What is the point of taking these other units over a Ballista?  

It really depends.  Hurricanes have weight of fire, Longstrikes have predictable punching power. Ballistas feel like the new hotness because they have a bit of both - they put out good number of shots in half range, while also having that important -2Rend.  The damage is swingy, since it's not great hit rolls in half range and also is d6 hits, but when it goes off, it goes off.

I will say, I think if you're looking for a mid-price investment that delivers consistently, 3-6 Hurricanes or 6-9 Longstrikes will put out more reliable results, and the Longstrikes can do so from a safe distance at all points in the game. However, you will have to live with their downsides (low number of shots and limited mobility on the Longstrikes, short range and swingy dice on the Hurricanes). 

Also, Aetherwings are still dope. People write them off, but they basically guarantee shut down at least one charge for each unit you take, which is not terrible for 50 points, and they still hold objectives and move fast, so they can't be ignored. Aetherstrike was really strong with them giving retaliatory shooting, but they're still worth the points imo if you're taking a reasonable amount of Raptors.

• Like 1