AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

5 hours ago, Mirage8112 said:

3 of the new woods surrounds 1 old wood like a glove. It’s almost exactly the same footprint (maybe 1/2 bigger on all sides?)

This would only make sense as GW stated on facebook that you can still use the old wyldwood models for the new book.

The new awakened woods is 3-6 citadel wood models. So technically we get 2 circles for free then each treelord ancient summons 1 awakened wood with is 3-6 more citadel wood models.  So thats 12 trees in a ring for 1 treelord ancient guaranteed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rollcage said:

The new awakened woods is 3-6 citadel wood models. So technically we get 2 circles for free then each treelord ancient summons 1 awakened wood with is 3-6 more citadel wood models.  So thats 12 trees in a ring for 1 treelord ancient guaranteed. 

I dont think you can do that. The warscrolls specifically states that each tip of each tree must touch another tip of a tree. So basically you can make one ring with 3-6 trees.

4 minutes ago, IRifter said:

I dont think you can do that. The warscrolls specifically states that each tip of each tree must touch another tip of a tree. So basically you can make one ring with 3-6 trees.

yeah it would be 2 by 6 trees. Which is the equivalent of 2 current tree plates in size, each tip has to touch another tip. 

2 minutes ago, Rollcage said:

yeah it would be 2 by 6 trees. Which is the equivalent of 2 current tree plates in size, each tip has to touch another tip. 

That does make me kinda curious though. I don't see anything against putting up 2 3tree rings. 

5 minutes ago, IRifter said:

That does make me kinda curious though. I don't see anything against putting up 2 3tree rings. 

Well the wording indicates a single drop of up to 6 trees in size, which is 2 current plates. but you could theoretically drop 4 or 5 trees into the ring depending on how big you need it to be, making a single large size tree section. 

1 minute ago, Rollcage said:

Well the wording indicates a single drop of up to 6 trees in size, which is 2 current plates. but you could theoretically drop 4 or 5 trees into the ring depending on how big you need it to be, making a single large size tree section. 

Yes but I honestly don't see anything concerning RAW that does not allow you to summon one wyldwood which consists of 6 trees and make 2 rings out of them. Each tree touches another trees tip and each tree is facing inward making a circle.

1 hour ago, Freejack02 said:

I understand the frustration, it looks like Gnarlroot's power lies solely in the artefact... and we lack a good multi-caster to really take advantage of it. 

Overall the changes are growing on me however. Question - do we think Bow Kurnoths could make a comeback with the Heartwood artefact? Rerolling all hits really shores up their largest issue, and doing it from 30" is just massive. Likely 3 units of 3 Hunters (more Huntmasters)... I know our trees blocking LoS is a pain, but I wonder if it can have a large impact as mobile artillery. 

Perhaps but the arch revenant already gives them reroll 1s, The command ability is ok but the army ability is terrible. 
I think overall you'd be better off going another wargrove and taking an arch revenant. 

Unless I'm missing something, there's actually very little apart from these 2 abilities that buff Bow hunters. 

53 minutes ago, Inquisitorsz said:

Perhaps but the arch revenant already gives them reroll 1s, The command ability is ok but the army ability is terrible. 
I think overall you'd be better off going another wargrove and taking an arch revenant. 

Unless I'm missing something, there's actually very little apart from these 2 abilities that buff Bow hunters.

Yeah, but there's a big difference between rerolling 1 and rerolling 1,2, and 3 (or 4 if you're debuffed/LOS). I know it's not the same game from when Bow Kurnoths were terrifying, but I think it could be an attractive option. 

7 minutes ago, IRifter said:

Yes but I honestly don't see anything concerning RAW that does not allow you to summon one wyldwood which consists of 6 trees and make 2 rings out of them. Each tree touches another trees tip and each tree is facing inward making a circle.

Eh, it says it's a "single terrain feature" and makes "a ring" 
I don't read that as allowing 2 rings even if they share an edge. But really.... a 6 tree ring is going to be pretty much the same thing as 2 x 3 tree rings next to each other. 

You definitely can't do 2 completely separate  rings as that's not "a single terrain feature" and they won't all point to the center of that one ring. 
We'll likely need an FAQ just to be clear coz it's worded very, very badly. 

1 minute ago, Inquisitorsz said:

Eh, it says it's a "single terrain feature" and makes "a ring" 
I don't read that as allowing 2 rings even if they share an edge. But really.... a 6 tree ring is going to be pretty much the same thing as 2 x 3 tree rings next to each other. 

You definitely can't do 2 completely separate  rings as that's not "a single terrain feature" and they won't all point to the center of that one ring. 
We'll likely need an FAQ just to be clear coz it's worded very, very badly. 

Yes you're right. Would've been awesome though. I really hope the new trees will be a lot cheaper than the old ones. 3 plates for 68€(~76$) is rough especially since u need a lot.

I'm honestly not looking forward to having to buy, 2-3 boxes of these. I think you'd probably want at least 2 if not 3 or 4.... 
I know that was a problem before with the old woods and at least these ones make it a bit easier to move units through, but it's a significant extra cost considering other armies only need to buy 1 unique terrain feature. 

6 minutes ago, Craze said:

Can anyone explain (or does have an estimatet guess), why there are 4 artifact tables?

This is a good question.

this is just speculation, but we haven’t seen what teh rules for giving artifacts to models are. I know KO and Stormcast are able to give artifacts to sky ships and monsters respectively.

Woudlnt it be cool if we could give an artifact to treelords AND a Hero?

7 minutes ago, Craze said:

Can anyone explain (or does have an estimatet guess), why there are 4 artifact tables?

What exactly do you mean? It's pretty common to have different artefacts of different types. If you look at newer releases e.g. SCE you can see that they have like 5 or 6 different tables.

Each table has a different "style". For example the artefacts that only wizards can use.

1 minute ago, Mirage8112 said:

This is a good question.

this is just speculation, but we haven’t seen what teh rules for giving artifacts to models are. I know KO and Stormcast are able to give artifacts to sky ships and monsters respectively.

Woudlnt it be cool if we could give an artifact to treelords AND a Hero?

Am I missing something? You get 1 artefact period. For any battalion you get one more. There won't be any rules that give sylvaneth 2 artefacts right from the get go.

Each table caters to a different playstlye. Picking up the SCE example again: they got artefact weapons, armors and something close to a trinket. Weapons are for buffing melee, armor to buff survivability and trinkets are a mix of unique effects (luckstone: once per battle change one die to the number you want. As an example.

1 minute ago, IRifter said:

Each table has a different "style". For example the artefacts that only wizards can use.

Yes, this I understand, but we still have 3 tables where no restricions are mentioned. Only on "Relics of Nature" it is mentioned, that only Wizards can carry these items. ;)

3 minutes ago, Craze said:

Yes, this I understand, but we still have 3 tables where no restricions are mentioned. Only on "Relics of Nature" it is mentioned, that only Wizards can carry these items. ;)

Yes that's true. The most probable reason is: more options = better. I would consider it to be more artefacts in total (aka a buff) and for ease of use and clarity they are grouped in 6.

Edited by IRifter

46 minutes ago, IRifter said:

Am I missing something? You get 1 artefact period. For any battalion you get one more. There won't be any rules that give sylvaneth 2 artefacts right from the get go.

From the Kharadron Overlords book:

84330F38-8768-48E8-AFAE-452A62A2194C.jpeg.8b9126aadbc4ead72aa59e0cc2c437a4.jpeg

When the KO book was released, KO’s got 1 artifact for a hero + 1 for every battalion the army took. Additionally, they ALSO got 1 relic that they could only put on a skyvessel  + 1 additional skyvessel relic for every battalion; effectively getting 2 relics from the get-go + 2 for every battalion in the army.  

I’m not saying thats what happened with us, it’s just.. well. Kinda weird. 

53 minutes ago, IRifter said:

Each table caters to a different playstlye. Picking up the SCE example again: they got artefact weapons, armors and something close to a trinket. Weapons are for buffing melee, armor to buff survivability and trinkets are a mix of unique effects (luckstone: once per battle change one die to the number you want. As an example.

Yes thats true, but don’t stormcast eternal get to make one of their mounts “exceptional” in addition to relics? And if I’m not mistaken don’t they also get +1 exceptional mounts per battalion (Just like skyvessels)?  

9 minutes ago, Mirage8112 said:

From the Kharadron Overlords book:

84330F38-8768-48E8-AFAE-452A62A2194C.jpeg.8b9126aadbc4ead72aa59e0cc2c437a4.jpeg

When the KO book was released, KO’s got 1 artifact for a hero + 1 for every battalion the army took. Additionally, they ALSO got 1 relic that they could only put on a skyvessel  + 1 additional skyvessel relic for every battalion; effectively getting 2 relics from the get-go + 2 for every battalion in the army.  

I’m not saying thats what happened with us, it’s just.. well. Kinda weird. 

Yes thats true, but don’t stormcast eternal get to make one of their mounts “exceptional” in addition to relics? And if I’m not mistaken don’t they also get +1 exceptional mounts per battalion (Just like skyvessels)?  

I didn't know about the specific artefacts for skyvessels from the KO.  What you said about the mounts is completely right. Although these traits are with one or two exceptions not that great(jsut nice additions) and are by far not comparable to a true artefact.

Going by the example you posted and looking up how exactly it works and where it is written in the SCE book it should be palced above the specific artefact tableand tell you how and why you get additional artefacts. This is not the case with the leaked sylvaneth pictures. I dont think its hidden on another page or something like that. We pretty much got all the important stuff from allegiance abilities all the way to pitched battle profiles.

Edited by IRifter
forgot a important word

Does anybody have a suggestion on good "similar to Gnarlwood" build with the new battletome leaks? I mean magic heavy build? 

I doubt that some tables refer to "treelords" as they don't share same keywords. But maybe it states "table X is for TLA and SOD". 

Edited by Aryann