AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I see your point, but for some reason I don’t really like the backstabbing Little sorcerers known as grey seers, to much.

(must be that Headtaker-syndrome, I got from reading his book).

By dropping 10 stormvermins and 1 packmaster you could fit an Arch-Warlock in if needed... It is tremendous value on its own, but compared to 10 stormvermins + 1 packmaster it needs to be carefully considered...

9 hours ago, Luca said:

Hello, i have spire of dawn models, 20 plague priest with foetid blades, a Plague priest, a Warp lightning cannon and Screaming bell

Plus i have to build a Verminlord kit and 2 kit of stormfiends.

1) which verminloard  you think is the bear ia a very hard choiche for me they are all awesome.

2) i want to play 1 unit of stom fiends with 2 warp fire projector and ratling guns, and onther whit grind fist and 2 Shock Gauntlets.

3) I want to expand my army whit storm vermins... any other suggest is accepted.

1) I like warpseer (plus you have some giant rats from the start collecting pestilens box) but any is good...

2) it looks fine to me... You could also swap the ratling with the cannon to have one more mobile unit

3) you don't have enough clanrat with one spire of dawn box I think. If you bring stormvermins in you could add some support characters such as grey seer/arch warlock/chaos sorcerer Lord. Or just get a second SC pestilens for a second cannon, a second bell, a second plague priest and a full unit of 40 plague monks

Cheers

49 minutes ago, Num said:

By dropping 10 stormvermins and 1 packmaster you could fit an Arch-Warlock in if needed... It is tremendous value on its own, but compared to 10 stormvermins + 1 packmaster it needs to be carefully considered...

I’ll remember that.

wont be able to chance my list to much, since I’ll be going from work directly to my local store.

but still, thanks.

ill give you guys a report of how it went tomorrow.

So....Mordkin conversions aren't too hard honestly. Shaving some bits down for a clean fit is all that was needed, and I threw in some other stuff to make a proper Grey Seer out of the model. The top half of the staff is from the guy who rides a Mortis Engine, as are the keys (tossed in because the idea that a Grey Seer is keeping them as a trophy or something amused me) and the staff head was Arkham's which gives the model another cue that shows that he's in motion as he hops atop the stone arch. Oh, and he has an Orruk jaw as a shoulder guard now too. Apologies for the lack of definition here, I'm abusing the Corax White primer coat to visually tie the different colored plastics together and make him look a little more visually cohesive. I'll probably get some paint on him tonight.

GreySeerWIP.png.1ebb594d1a0aa6ecbe2fa6e2d457cb33.png

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Fulkes said:

So....Mordkin conversions aren't too hard honestly. Shaving some bits down for a clean fit is all that was needed, and I threw in some other stuff to make a proper Grey Seer out of the model. The top half of the staff is from the guy who rides a Mortis Engine, as are the keys (tossed in because the idea that a Grey Seer is keeping them as a trophy or something amused me) and the staff head was Arkham's which gives the model another cue that shows that he's in motion as he hops atop the stone arch. Oh, and he has an Orruk jaw as a shoulder guard now too. Apologies for the lack of definition here, I'm abusing the Corax White primer coat to visually tie the different colored plastics together and make him look a little more visually cohesive. I'll probably get some paint on him tonight.

GreySeerWIP.png.1ebb594d1a0aa6ecbe2fa6e2d457cb33.png

Looks great.

I didn't see an Eshin Discussion, but does anyone use an Eshin army?  I'm slowly collecting Gutter Runners as I think they're super awesome!  I have 30, but want 60.  I'm hoping next year we'll see a Skaven Tome, but not holding my breath.  

The Outflanking units I have (like Gutrot Spume and the Blightkings) have been performing very well.  The Gutter Runners with their shooty stars and rendy knives really shine in my past couple tournaments.  I have to make my old metal Verminlord into a Deceiver; Skitterleap can launch my old metal Thanquol into Warpfire range, or I was also thinking a Plague Priest could be good for that if I get 60 Gutter Runners coming in so their stars can maybe get better wounding, with maybe a rerolling the wound too.  

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 10:14 PM, sorokyl said:

Do you just like Spiteclaw model more than those? Because technically it is more expensive than both A warlord and a Grey Seer.    On ebay you can find many classic grey seer and warlord models if you don't like the current plastic ones.   Scoring a ebay collection is a great way to start a skaven army, then fill in with whatever you didn't get.  (of course unless you want to assemble all your own models, even then some collections have many unassembled models)

Yes I do love the spiteclaw model (although Queek just looks better).

But the real reason I took him, is that he is the only skaven warlord who did not get their command ability twicked.

in other words his gnash gnaw on their bones ability can be used multiple times on the same unit as well as it says that a unit has to be within 13 and not wholly, which is the main reason I took him.

ps: reporting my battle as promised tomorrow.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I was also thinking a Plague Priest could be good for that if I get 60 Gutter Runners coming in so their stars can maybe get better wounding, with maybe a rerolling the wound too.  

Hold it! Halt! Slow it waaaaayyyyy down. 

That's actually -really- good. Throwing a low-value hero like the priest forward like that, for the sole purpose of using his once-per-game ability to make your army absolutely wreck a unit? Yeah. That's probably one of the better uses of Skitterleap I've seen in a long long time. 

TAKE NOTE FELLAS! This right here is a very strong and sneaky trick! Might be a mandatory inclusion for Deceiver players! 

Just now, Mayple said:

Hold it! Halt! Slow it waaaaayyyyy down. 

That's actually -really- good. Throwing a low-value hero like the priest forward like that, for the sole purpose of using his once-per-game ability to make your army absolutely wreck a unit? Yeah. That's probably one of the better uses of Skitterleap I've seen in a long long time. 

TAKE NOTE FELLAS! This right here is a very strong and sneaky trick! Might be a mandatory inclusion for Deceiver players! 

Considering how expendable everything in the army is trading a cheap hero (which is basically all of them) for a unit is always a good choice.

1 minute ago, Fulkes said:

Considering how expendable everything in the army is trading a cheap hero (which is basically all of them) for a unit is always a good choice.

"Go-go over there. Die-die for glory of the Great Horned Rat!"
"Wha-.."
-FHUMP!-

Quite fitting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Mayple said:

"Go-go over there. Die-die for glory of the Great Horned Rat!"
"Wha-.."
-FHUMP!-

Quite fitting.

I mean when you play an army where everything dies (either to the enemy, to back stabbing or to radioactive magic space rocks exploding) the least you can do is trying and bitterly take the thing responsible with you, right?

Edited by Fulkes

4 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I didn't see an Eshin Discussion, but does anyone use an Eshin army?  I'm slowly collecting Gutter Runners as I think they're super awesome!  I have 30, but want 60.  I'm hoping next year we'll see a Skaven Tome, but not holding my breath.  

The Outflanking units I have (like Gutrot Spume and the Blightkings) have been performing very well.  The Gutter Runners with their shooty stars and rendy knives really shine in my past couple tournaments.  I have to make my old metal Verminlord into a Deceiver; Skitterleap can launch my old metal Thanquol into Warpfire range, or I was also thinking a Plague Priest could be good for that if I get 60 Gutter Runners coming in so their stars can maybe get better wounding, with maybe a rerolling the wound too.  

I play mostly Skryre and Eshin, but I've been playing Eshin in 1k as of late with a Deceiver, Priest, Assassin (w/ SoJ) and 40 Gutter Runners. Either way, @Mayple is on point with the Deceiver + Priest combo being an auto-include for Eshin. It really makes the Gutter Runners shine to do a good amount of damage with shooting and if the Priest manages to survive, he can continue to buff them or give IP from being in the back-line with them.

I've used units of 40 Nightrunners effectively in the past and have 80 of them that I am still trying to pretend I don't have to paint. Primed black Eshin models just mean they're all hiding in the shadows and therefore fully painted, right?

Hello there guys, gals and rats. 

I am a new skaven player and have been toying with this list. What do you guys think? I'd like to use skaven as my tournament army so this list would have to take all comers in a 5 game series. 

Allegiance: Chaos
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Warpgnaw Verminlord (320)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Thanquol and Boneripper (400)
- Warpfire Projectors
Grey Seer (100)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear

Units
3 x Stormfiends (290)
3 x Stormfiends (290)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 184

One thing I have already decided is to drop the grey seer and add in Cogs so the warpgnaw verminlord only needs a 7 on the charge rather than a 9.

Other than that would do you guys think? 

@walheim Many armies got grouped together. I highly doubt it's a sign of anything and just a cleanup of all the subcategories on the webpage.

I mean, I would love if it that were true, but we probably shouldn't expect anything until Q3\Q4 2019 at the earliest unless they do a quick "out-of-nowhere" tome like BoC .

5 hours ago, Gdead909 said:

Honestly I would be happy if they made skaven a keyword and allowed clan rats as battleline across all clans

I think that will be a given when we get a tome. Especially if they do intend to go the same route as BoC or LoN did with their combination tomes. 

Skaven book is a guarantee, only a matter of "When". The 2.0 preview had a Skaven Preview and the "Getting Started with AoS" magazine highlighted Skaven (not specifically Clan Pestilens) in the Chaos section and yet completely ignored Beasts of Chaos who had yet to get a battletome. Oddly they had separate highlights for Everchosen and Slaves to Darkness.

The 2.0 previews also did "Beasts of Chaos" long before anyone knew it was coming, and also did a Grots page as well which is now far more likely to be all Grots and not "Just Moonclan".

Edited by kenshin620

On 12/9/2018 at 3:04 PM, EchoHavoc said:

Hello there guys, gals and rats. 

I am a new skaven player and have been toying with this list. What do you guys think? I'd like to use skaven as my tournament army so this list would have to take all comers in a 5 game series. 

Allegiance: Chaos
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Warpgnaw Verminlord (320)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Thanquol and Boneripper (400)
- Warpfire Projectors
Grey Seer (100)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear

Units
3 x Stormfiends (290)
3 x Stormfiends (290)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 184

One thing I have already decided is to drop the grey seer and add in Cogs so the warpgnaw verminlord only needs a 7 on the charge rather than a 9.

Other than that would do you guys think? 

It’s hard to say. This army will either get rolled hard or do surprisingly well. I think your success will, as always, depend upon who your facing. Stuff like Daughters and other fighty armies will maul those clanrats in a single round. What are the stormfiends armed with? You need something that can hit hard and create holes in the enemy lines.  Good luck, hope it does well.