AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

So I've been a Nurgle player since I started playing AoS but these Nighthaunt models are too gorgeous to pass up. I have to make a small 1k army at least to play and paint.

I acquired the starter set and need some advice on what to add to make a decent 1k since I'm extremely new to Ghosts/Death. (I'm used to things coming back to life, lol)

For what it's worth I love the Spirit Hosts models so I was looking at executioner horde but not sure if it's worth it? Also have a buddy who plays FEC so wondering what would be smart to build that maybe pairs well with FEC in doubles games also. If anything .

21 hours ago, relic456 said:

Good question! I assumed that a 30 man unit of reapers would have 29 equipped with their scythes and 1 equipped with the bell. It functions so differently that I separated it out in my first post.

Edit: Also can't believe I didn't mention that the reapers have 2" reach! Makes it super easy to get lots of guys in to combat.

I suppose it is 59 attacks - 29x2 + 1 for the extoller the extoller hits on a 3+ and that’s what’s confused me. 

Suffice to say there’s plenty of attacks to go around. I’ll be painting my 30 a bit quicker anyway 

1 hour ago, TheWilddog said:

Love this NIghthaunt army!!!!! Really shows the favor and depth that can be added to the army: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/11/nighthaunts-in-venice/

NighthauntInVenice-Oct11-Chainrasps2-10mh.jpg

yeah! I was really impressed with his army! :D super colorful but you can see the grim resurface behind all this false joy! this is just superb and awesome!

• Like 1

Ruler of the Spirit Hosts.

This is my list , just finishing them now.

Anyone tried a spirit host heavy list ?

Allegiance: Nighthaunt

Leaders
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
- Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact): Beacon of Nagashizzar
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind 
- Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist
Spirit Torment (120)
Spirit Torment (120)

Battleline
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
9 x Spirit Hosts (360)
9 x Spirit Hosts (360)

Units
20 x Bladegheist Revenants (320)

Battalions
Chainguard (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 134

@painfully-mediocre  I ended up contacting someone to nab me one at a store event.. after shipping it was almost 50  anyway .. shrug

@Keith

My first few games have been with 2 units of 6 Hosts, they throw buckets of attacks but if Nagash doesnt bless you with 6's they do a fat lot of nothing. Best used as tarpits who can hold the line and occasionally put out some serious heat on enemy elites imho as you average 1 mw per base

Edited by Neck-Romantic
  • Thanks 1

The black coach synergizes well with spirit hosts, as it brings back 1d3 models at power level 1 wholly within 12". 

Olynder is also quite nice with them as her command ability also bring back entire model. Ruler of the spirit hosts you already chose, which is also great.

I think 2 spirit torments can be a bit overkill, although I can understand you might want more coverage of reroll hits of 1.

With so many spirit hosts it could also be fun to run an execution horde and give the executioner something like a sword of judgement for hero killing, a miasmic blade to stack -3 to be hit against heroes, so he can tank a bloodthirster without issue.

• Like 1

I run 18 of them as 3x6 w/ plenty of healing (Olynder, GoS Beacon and Vamp Lord), but no Black Coach. Works well in tying everything up, at least in units of 6. 

Considering dropping my Mourngul in favor of 20 Revenants for only 20 points more, which really is sad to think about... so you should have no issues swinging around that Revenant hammer if you can keep it alive and charging into the backs of whatever your Hosts are tarpitting.

• Like 1

To everyone chatting about SHs, there is something worth noting about them. We have a few abilities to bring back multi wound models but it is a bit of a trap, as the only models that benefit are SHs and hexwraiths and neither are great unfortunately. You can Mathammer until the cows come home but in a competitive build we have little choice but to stick with grimghasts. If SHs and hexwraiths were the amazing unit that some people believe then why are none of them present in any LoN list? 

@Dew we struggle a bit with 1k as we are a horde army and need to max out our units for them to be effect and then we have to provide those units with hero support. Unfortunately none of our battalions work well in 1k comp games, so when building a small list expect a potentially high drop count with units running at 50% effectiveness with a fair bit of flexibility but a high chance if getting nuked or have a low drop army which not very flexible. Unlike Nurgle we can't summon, so when a unit dies, it's dead for good. We play the attrition game but we aren't very good at it unfortunately. Personally for hyper comp play I run 2 x 30 grims, 2 x GoS. For less hyper comp play you can run whatever you want as we aren't a top tier army so there is no need to worry about trying to make a top tier list, I ran 5 endless spells in my last 1k tournament and didn't do too badly (would have done better had a lizard player not cheated ?). 

In other ghost news, played a 2k game of bedsheets vs bloodbound. My friend conceded in turn 3. I got a double turn after turn 2, and rolled a total of 5 charge rolls over that double turn, 4 of which were 10+, and 3 of those 10+'s were with a unit of 30 grims ?. Took out 84 wounds of models over the two turns of charging and combat, losing only 5 models ?. I kind of feel like I've used up my 10+ charge rolls for one life time ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

It's the best name for them imo. I paint my ghosts with bright fluro colours and they're starting to been known as the bedsheets from club tropicana ?

It was really funny to me because I'm doing the shrouds of mine in an off white/grayish theme. ?

Happy haunting!

• Like 2

So I finally got together with my buddies and played my first three games this weekend.

My list was: Reikenor+Cogs, GoS, 20 Reapers, 10 Chainrasps, 4 Myrmourn Banshees, 10 Dreadscythe Harridans.

I played against a Legions of Nagash (Wight King, 2 Necros, 40 Skellies, 10 Black Knights, 5 Dire Wolves, 5 Grave Guard) list twice and Phoenix Temple once (Annointed on Frost Phoenix, Frost Phoenix, 10 Phoenix Guard, 20 Phoenix Guard).

The first game was against Legions of Nagash playing Duality of Death and I scored a major victory as I was able to deep strike my Reapers and Harridans to tie up his entire army for most of the game.

The second game was also against Legions of Nagash playing Knife to the Heart and I ended up conceding defeat on turn 3. My Reapers successfully deep struck his Skellies and to my surprise wiped out the whole unit only to then get wiped out in one go from the Black Knights who then proceeded to kill my Harridans and Reikenor leaving me with nothing but my Chainrasps and GoS to face down his entire army minus the Skellies (he had resurrected his wolves).

The third game I also ended up conceding. I never got near his objective which was held by 10 Phoenix Guard. The 20 Phoenix Guard were able to survive several rounds against a combination of my Chainrasps, Harridans, and Reapers before the Anointed showed up to finish off my units. I did end up killing all of the 20 Phoenix Guard, but it was too late.

Some thoughts on my units:

My heroes were great. Reikenor + Cogs worked out as well as I had hoped and the GoS as my general was fantastic. I gave it the +3 to Spectral Lure item and at one point it returned 9 Harridans from the dead! So those three models are keepers.

Reapers are Reapers - I've read enough to know that they were going to do well. I did make the mistake of trying to use them to take out an individual character the first game, and realized it's just not an effective use for them at all.

The Chainrasp Horde never saw action in the first two games, and then were simply there in the third game. I used them as objective sitters.

The Harridans were  better than I had expected. In particular I appreciated their extra damage on 6's. However, I was left wishing they were Bladegheists because there were a lot of times when I could have done a retreat through a unit and charged a more important target.

The Banshees also did better than I expected. They unbound a Vanhel's in the first game my other casters weren't in range of, tied up the Wight King in the second game for three turns, and worked in conjunction with Reikenor to kill a Frost Phoenix the third game.

Overall thoughts:

My army felt very incomplete. I can't wait to get enough for a 2000 pt game.

As somebody who last played WHFB, moving Grimghast Reapers is a pain! I only had 20 and will likely have 60 at 2k... I'm not looking forward to that.

I struggled with killing characters. I plan to build a Death Stalkers battalion and hope that will help. I found smaller units were actually better at killing characters so I'm hoping that can be a purpose for the Glavewraiths that seem rather bad but are necessary for the battalion.

I had planned to build a Shrieker Host at 2k (which is why I have 10 Harridans and 8 Myrmourns) but now I know that the battleshock phase doesn't really impact my main two opponents so that plan is no longer. Bummed I spent the money on the models, but they didn't seem bad so it's okay.

I also learned to deep strike Black Knights over Skellies as they are deadly on the charge and that Phoenix Guard simply don't die with their 4+/4+ and immunity to battleshock. I spent so much time worrying about the Phoenixes preparing for facing that army that I didn't consider how unmovable the Guard were.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

@Cursed @Tropical Ghost General

Still a WIP but coming along. Not the best pics either. 

Trying to add a bit more texture to the robes so they come off as heavy wool or cotton cloth. 

20181014_084653.jpg

20181014_084704.jpg

really nice paint job! I like the blue for their skin and the robes are really nice! It makes them stand out a lot from other nighthaunts! Do you mind sharing your paint schemes (step by steps, with colors used?) 

thanks! :)

• Like 1

@dmorley21 Nice report. I have 60 grims at 2k. Get movement trays. Element games do a horde cloud bundle for a 30 or 40 model unit. I've got 3 sets for 32mm bases and 2 sets for 25mm bases. It's made things so much easier for me.

Only thing to be wary of is there is a bit of chatter in some competitive groups about grims in LoN being OP and a lot of people are expecting a nerf. I understand how grims are OP in LoN because of all the healing and if the unit dies you can simply summon them back. I hope this is just chatter as without grims us ghosts have literally no chance in comp play. I was planning on 90 grims for tournaments but until this chatter dies down I'm holding fire on more purchases. Also my friends don't want to play my 60 grims list, so 90 is unlikely to ever see a game ?

• Like 1