AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

35 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

Guys maybe were just a few hours short of an update but so far it appears NH aInt gettin any update as almost all newer factions are updated already. So where does that leave our WD battalions?

Up to interpretation to the TO. In my local gaming group (which is huge) Two different TOs said that if a battalion has a pitched battle profile and is comprised of "legal units" that aren't sent to Legends or something similar, then you can use it.

If we get any clarity on the White Dwarf battalions, it will be in the general GHB2020 FAQ as this is an issue that affects all armies that have received White Dwarf battalions. 

I was just re-reading the GHB2020, and it states, "With the exception of Legends units, only units that are included in this book or that have a later publication date can be used in a Pitched Battle game without your opponent's consent." 

I emphasized the word units, as warscroll battalions are not units. I'm not playing competitively anytime soon, but until I see something that states otherwise, I'm going to assume that the White Dwarf battalions are still fair game. 

• Like 1

It's in the same vein of how GW writes their rules, how their words-as-written matter.

I think we can agree that if we're playing at home they should be legal. If we're playing with ultra-competitive friends, it should still be okay since we won't stand much of a chance without them.

It's going to be those that really need a rule or a line in a book that's going to have an issue with it. And for them maybe Warscroll Builder and Azir, when it updates, can be pointed at for proof of their legality.

But chances are we're going to need it in the GHB's FAQ release. I wrote them, hopefully everyone else here has too.

All of the bits we want to know will be with the main GHB20 FAQ. They hopefully released the points today because of online backlash from all over, but who knows why it was done today. 

I wrote in asking loads of questions (poor rules team 😂). Stuff about WD battalions and the such, but also stuff like why is the Briar Queen the only caster without the wizard keyword? RAW she can't take a spell lore spell or cast endless spells 🤪

18 hours ago, dmorley21 said:

If we get any clarity on the White Dwarf battalions, it will be in the general GHB2020 FAQ as this is an issue that affects all armies that have received White Dwarf battalions. 

I was just re-reading the GHB2020, and it states, "With the exception of Legends units, only units that are included in this book or that have a later publication date can be used in a Pitched Battle game without your opponent's consent." 

I emphasized the word units, as warscroll battalions are not units. I'm not playing competitively anytime soon, but until I see something that states otherwise, I'm going to assume that the White Dwarf battalions are still fair game. 

Yeah, this RAW is why our TOs are saying the WD battalions among some other things are OK.

11 hours ago, Sception said:

White dwarf isn't limited release.  You can still buy it from warhammer digital.  It's no more limited release than the many units that are web store exclusive.

Digital is normally not allowed in tournaments due to the What If scenario of everyone running out of batteries and not enough chargers

5 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Digital is normally not allowed in tournaments due to the What If scenario of everyone running out of batteries and not enough chargers

But if you take the time to print the relevant pages from the copy you bought from Digital, iBooks or whatever, wouldn’t that be ok?

1 minute ago, Greasygeek said:

But if you take the time to print the relevant pages from the copy you bought from Digital, iBooks or whatever, wouldn’t that be ok?

Depends on the tournament organisers. Some won’t allow it as they can’t be bothered dealing with the possibility of people having illegal copies, others will allow it if you can prove you own a legitimate copy

• Like 1

If digital content can't be allowed because 'what if people run out of batteries?' then you shouldn't even be able to use official errata, which are exclusively published digitally.  Individual tournament organizers can do what they like, but it's a ludicrous position to take.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

I've never heard of such a thing, and that's incredibly insane if it's true. GW sells digital content that I have paid for, and you're telling me it's not allowed at tournaments??

I refuse to accept that, and I would never patronize a tournament that refused to let me use content I paid for.

I think the biggest parallel is the Fireslayer battalions from White Dwarf that came out before but did not get points in the 2019  GHB. I know most of the big American TOs ended not allowing them (one of my good friends was quite salty about it). This gives me fear for our stuff.

• Like 1

Took out OBR on Starstrike using GHB2020 points.

Army is based on the Mortal Rain list by @EnixLHQ.

R1/T1: OBR

The Katakrosian Deathglaive's pre-game move + Stalliarch Lords' run and charge faction ability put him right onto my front line.

The ghosts take a beating and I use a CP to save the Chainrasp Hordes.

R1/T2: NH

Spirit Hosts move up and murder 10 Mortek Guard sitting on the left side objective.

The middle fight is a slog fest.

Chainrasp Hordes get healed by the GoS and hold back the Morghast Harbingers and Necropolis Stalkers.

More Stalkers beat down the Black Coach to half health.

The 2 remaining Hexwraiths in squad A retreat.

Lady O and 10 Chainrasp Hordes deepstrike near the right side objective but are still outnumbered by the camping Guard.

Kurdoss/Hexwraith squad B comes out of deepstrike and destroy the Mortek Crawler.

I win the priority roll and take the turn.

R2/T1: NH

Kurdoss and 5 Hexwraiths move back up the board and take out a Liege Kavalos along the way.

The Spirit Hosts and Black Coach finish off one group of Stalkers.

The BC regens 2 Hexwraiths.

R2/T2: OBR

Mortek Guard reinforcements wipe out all but 1 Chainrasp on the right side objective.

Everyone fighting in the middle dies.

Everyone fails to cast spells.

The Boneshaper charges the Spirit Torment holding the left side objective.

Neither healer does a single wound.

ST regens 1 Spirit Host.

I win the priority roll.

R3/T1: NH

I surround the Boneshaper with 4 units who only need a 3" charge.

We call the game.

Post match:

I'm going to drop Kurdoss. The points are better spent on a cheap leader (Dreadblade Harrow) + 10 more Chainrasp Hordes as an extra screen/objective grabber.

My list:

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Spirit Torment (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (200)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (130)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact): Wychlight Lantern
Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King (180)
9 x Spirit Hosts (360)
5 x Hexwraiths (130)
5 x Hexwraiths (130)
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
Black Coach (220)
The Dolorous Guard (120)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 133

Opponent's list:

Crawler
Necropolis Stalkers
More Stalkers
Boneshaper
Morghast Harbingers
Liege Kavalos
Mortek Guards

• Like 4

Don't the Hexwraiths and Kurdoss cost less ? 120 for Hexwraiths and 160 for Kurdoss now I reckon ? Congrats on your victory at any rate, was curious to know how Nighthaunts fared against OBR. 

Did you like the Spirit Hosts ? I have 9 as well (from when we could give the anti-monster Ulgu relic to the Lord Executioner) and while they're really tanky, their DPS was always super random for me.

18 minutes ago, Aaranis said:

Don't the Hexwraiths and Kurdoss cost less ? 120 for Hexwraiths and 160 for Kurdoss now I reckon ? Congrats on your victory at any rate, was curious to know how Nighthaunts fared against OBR. 

Did you like the Spirit Hosts ? I have 9 as well (from when we could give the anti-monster Ulgu relic to the Lord Executioner) and while they're really tanky, their DPS was always super random for me.

A blob of 9 Spirit Hosts, especially with a Spirit Torment in tow for re-roll 1s, especially especially if he's a general with Ruler of the Spirit Host is a dynamite combo.

Average of 1 MW per base, 3 wounds per base, up to 3 models back if they go down, plus the ST healing either themselves if they need it or the odd damage on the Spirit Hosts if they do.

But I agree that Kurdoss is a bit of dead weight. He's 180 right now, and his role is very niche. He can steal a CP, sure, but only the 1 your opponent gets at the top of the turn and only on a 5. That can spoil plans for someone who needs it, but a lot of our opponents will shrug and generate more from various other sources and we can't steal those. If that ability expanded to "whenever your opponent would gain a command point, roll a dice" then he would appear in almost every list. Beyond that he's a hero beat stick. He'll do the most raw damage out of all of the other heroes, especially against an enemy general, but is still a 180 point hero. If you are going to throw one away for the damage potential, grab Olynder.

It's Reikenor that went down to 160, and that makes him a steal! My version of Mortal Rein has him with the Hexwraiths to be a fast calvary with magic support. His candle snuff ability is way more powerful than people tend to think. Mortek Guard? Snuff a candle on the Mortek Hekatos. Oh look, no more command abilities for that unit. Snuff one on the Necrophoros and reduce that charge and run roll bonus. They made the same model both? Proooooofffffffffiiiiiitttt. Meanwhile Reikenor is casting Wraithstorm to bypass some saves, along with the Hexwraiths getting some MWs out.

As far as OBR goes, MW them. That's their weakness. And their Crawlers shut down if you're in combat with them. Avoid Katakros or Nagash if they are on the table unless you're bored.

• Like 1

Uuuh no I'm fairly certain Kurdoss went to 160 and Reikenor didn't move this year. Found a pic from the GHB2020 in French, courtesy of Reddit:

Spoiler

r/ageofsigmar - Nighthaunt GHB 2020

Otherwise I agree, I played Reikenor once, alongside the Lord Executioner with Sword of Judgement and Olynder and he was neat. I fumbled his magic of course as usual but he was great in CC. 

33 minutes ago, Aaranis said:

Uuuh no I'm fairly certain Kurdoss went to 160 and Reikenor didn't move this year. Found a pic from the GHB2020 in French, courtesy of Reddit:

Reveal hidden contents

r/ageofsigmar - Nighthaunt GHB 2020

Otherwise I agree, I played Reikenor once, alongside the Lord Executioner with Sword of Judgement and Olynder and he was neat. I fumbled his magic of course as usual but he was great in CC. 

Sorry, but here's from the actual book in my hands.

20200714_223034.jpg.93ea71204cc09c86dc1948166fecf70c.jpg

I meant "a bit of dead weight" but you're right, too. I prefer Olynder for that kind of playstyle, but if you think you can catch an out-of-pocket enemy general then I wholly agree he's a badass. I just don't ever have an opponent leaves their general exposed.