AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

Forbidden Power is a set worth getting, even if GeeDubs did mess up the Penumbral Engine with a crazy points cost.  It certainly helps if the store has a solid discount.

I have enjoyed flipping through the book far more than I did for the endless spells one.

The box even has four Gravesite tokens, HAZZAH!  Sure I’ve already made two different sets of Gravesite markers after rule changes, don’t care.  Besides without the Penumbral token how will I know the current setting!?!?

2 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

Forbidden Power is a set worth getting, even if GeeDubs did mess up the Penumbral Engine with a crazy points cost.  It certainly helps if the store has a solid discount.

I have enjoyed flipping through the book far more than I did for the endless spells one.

The box even has four Gravesite tokens, HAZZAH!  Sure I’ve already made two different sets of Gravesite markers after rule changes, don’t care.  Besides without the Penumbral token how will I know the current setting!?!?

What do the Gravesite Tokens look like? 

e: I'm planning to do the graves of my Vampires in different versions of the cycle that is the old world and now the realms. Once as a young human couple that died, once him as a Vampire and her as a witch, separated - and their future Gravesite, as the cycle repeats itself. If this becomes too big, I'll probably do will-o-wisps. 

Edited by AHexInScarletRed
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

What do the Gravesite Tokens look like? 

A classic board game chit with the word “gravesite” in capital letters, a 1mm dot in the center, and faint background artwork that isn’t visible unless one is really close.

1 hour ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Ive been wanting to sculpt some gravesite tokens but I hear you kinda want them flat...? What do you guys use?

25mm spare bases from somewhere.  Piled with skulls from the skull kit, in the center blade-tip upwards the top part of an Empire halberd to mark the measuring point.

1 minute ago, Acid_Nine said:

hey guys you probably got this a lot but I just found 52 LoTR army of the dead in the basement and I was wondering how close they are to chainwrasps? could they be a good model counts as? 

Simple answer yes use some myself

19 minutes ago, Ahn-ket said:

Why not i only use Warriors  to fill my 20 man chainrasp Units Up to 40

I'm worried about base size and profile to be honest. But, I guess I have an even bigger death army than I thought!

can they be used in legion of nagash? If so where can I find the thing that says they can?

11 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

I'm worried about base size and profile to be honest. But, I guess I have an even bigger death army than I thought!

can they be used in legion of nagash? If so where can I find the thing that says they can?

Its in the FAQ/Errata

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/age_of_sigmar_legions_of_nagash_errata_en-1.pdf

There is also the brand new Legion of Grief in the new box set that just came out.

looking at starting Nighthaunt (either Nighthaunt allegince or Legion of Grief allegince but not interested in running them as Legion of Nagash)

im interested in the following units: Reikenor the Grimhailor, The Craven King, Lady Olyander, Bladeghast Revenants, Spirit Hosts, Black Couch, Mymroan Banshees, Chainghasts, Chainrasp Horde

im not really sure where to start. Soul Wars and the other starter sets seem of low value to me as id only really want the Chainrasps, maybe the heroes and Banshees.
Reikenor and Craven King are very high on my priority list for starting the army and at least one of them will be used in every list. i think im wanting to lean towards a horde of Bladeghasts.

any thoughts?

thoughts on this list?

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Leaders
Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King (220) - General
Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
Battleline
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
Units
10 x Bladegheist Revenants (180)
4 x Chainghasts (160)
4 x Chainghasts (160)
Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 107

3 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

thoughts on this list?

Leaders
Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King (220) - General
Battleline
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
Units
4 x Chainghasts (160)
4 x Chainghasts (160)
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 107

If you want to go the bladegheist route I do have a couple suggestions.

Drop the 8 chainghasts and go down to 2 maybe.  Saving so far 240 points. Trade your 4 -0 man bladegheists to 2-20 man units for another savings of 80 points at 320.

Take a spirit torment, throw in the shroudguard battalion costing 230, you got 90 points left.  If you can, reduce your spirit hosts to chainrasps. Spirit hosts won't do outstanding work for you anyways at 3 man units so may as well save there, add a vampire lord and chronomantic cogs. 

If you don't have the models for this then just focus on getting shroudguard and cogs. Vampire lord gives you some healing for your bladegheists, and has a command ability which you don't and considering you have kurdoss you should. Cogs really multiply the potential of deepstriking nighthaunts and reikenor for double corpse candles and spells once you don't need the deepstriking and movement. The vampire lord isn't mandatory but you should be thinking of a guy with a command ability and he turns your bladegheists up to 11  with torment rerolls and an extra attack.

I think some of these changes will help you get more of a wow feeling out of the units you want to take and 10 man bladegheists are too vulnerable

• Like 1

Leaders
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Allies
Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King (220)
- General
Spirit Torment (120)

Battleline
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)

Units
20 x Bladegheist Revenants (320)
20 x Bladegheist Revenants (320)
5 x Bladegheist Revenants (90)
2 x Chainghasts (80)

Battalions
Shroudguard (110)

Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 111

1 hour ago, SleeperAgent said:

Always worth it to check. I can use Dreadblade Harrows Phantasmal Discorporation and then use Spectral Summons in the same turn right? They both say start of movement phase so I wanna make sure.

Yes. Same time effect means you choose the order

• Like 1

Quick derp question... 

If you have multiple wizards with the same warscroll spell (guardian of souls, necromancers etc) they can each cast their personal spell, correct?

Its only endless spells that can only be attempted once right? Or if your first wizard succesfully casts his spell then your second has to cast something else?

Every spell can only be attempted once. So even if your mystic shield* cast fails or are countered, you cannot attempt to cast it again. 

Each wizard can also only cast or attempt to cast one Endless Spell per hero phase. 

*Mystic shield is just an example.

Edited by Dr_Kaos