AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Thoughts on this list, plan is to play on two flanks, mortals on one daemon on the other and have the flies be the hammer for where theyre needed. With the sloppity buffs the flies can kill a mega gargant in 2 turns especially with +1 attack from the GUO.

A bit sad I cant take endless gift but I feel like wanderers is necessary and Inneed the extra relic for the magic tome so HoD can cast blades. I could replace the untamed beasts and lifeswarm with a sorcerer to be able to cast blades instead but I feel the pregame move on untamed beasts is too vital. Will need to try it out and see how it goes.

Allegiance: Nurgle
- Host of Chaos: Munificent Wanderers
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Indomitable

Leaders
Great Unclean One (350)**
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Command Trait: One Last Gift
- Artefact: Mucktalon
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (130)**
Harbinger of Decay (145)**
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)

Battleline
20 x Plaguebearers (220)*
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Plaguebearers (110)**

Units
6 x Plague Drones (390)*
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Chaos Warriors (400)*
- Pair of Hand Weapons
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
- Reinforced x 1
9 x Untamed Beasts (70)

Endless Spells & Invocations
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Core Battalions
*Hunters of the Heartlands
**Warlord

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1985 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 147
Drops: 9

@Archibald

Played 2 games so far in the new edition with Munificent Wanderers. Sloppity Bilepiper has been the best unit both games, with all 3 songs being equally good on different situations.

I had the flail on the GUO, and maybe it was just bad rolls, but I was not impressed by the damage output of the flail and I wished I had the blade on a few casts. To me, most damage from the GUO came from One Last Gift, which was amazing. Mountain of Loathsome Flesh+Stomp also makes the GUO very good on the charge. In the games I played, Corpulent Mass + heroic recovery have been more than enough to keep him alive and I did not have the Endless gift, so maybe this is a bit overdefensive?

I did not try the Nurglings, but did try the Poxbringer and it was kind of bad for me. I agree with increasing plaguebearers unit size over poxbringer.  On the other end, the MW output of the Beast of Nurgle has been really useful for me, the run and charge also.

The Glottkin not being a Daemon is a downside. It does not have the +5 Ward like the rest of the army and it does not benefit from Host of Chaos abilities and buffs like Sloppity. On the plus side it is a hero monster, it has access to different spell lores, and the model is awesome. Not a bad warscroll either, i just wished it had more synergies with the list.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Argonoch said:

Thoughts on this list, plan is to play on two flanks, mortals on one daemon on the other and have the flies be the hammer for where theyre needed. With the sloppity buffs the flies can kill a mega gargant in 2 turns especially with +1 attack from the GUO.

A bit sad I cant take endless gift but I feel like wanderers is necessary and Inneed the extra relic for the magic tome so HoD can cast blades. I could replace the untamed beasts and lifeswarm with a sorcerer to be able to cast blades instead but I feel the pregame move on untamed beasts is too vital. Will need to try it out and see how it goes.

- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Triumphs: Indomitable

Leaders
Great Unclean One (350)**
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (130)**
Harbinger of Decay (145)**
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)

Battleline
20 x Plaguebearers (220)*
- Reinforced x 1

Units
6 x Plague Drones (390)*
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Chaos Warriors (400)*
- Pair of Hand Weapons
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
- Reinforced x 1
9 x Untamed Beasts (70)

Endless Spells & Invocations
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Core Battalions
*Hunters of the Heartlands
**Warlord

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1985 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Wounds: 147

I would also split the drones into 2x3. Buffed drones are a good hammer, but they have big bases, wigly coherency and they die...like flies do😂. With 2x3 you have a back up hammer, which i really missed last game. 
What exactly is the task for the Chaos Warriors and tamed beasts? Never played or saw them until now.

50 minutes ago, Bibob45 said:

@Archibald

Played 2 games so far in the new edition with Munificent Wanderers. Sloppity Bilepiper has been the best unit both games, with all 3 songs being equally good on different situations.

I had the flail on the GUO, and maybe it was just bad rolls, but I was not impressed by the damage output of the flail and I wished I had the blade on a few casts. To me, most damage from the GUO came from One Last Gift, which was amazing. Mountain of Loathsome Flesh+Stomp also makes the GUO very good on the charge. In the games I played, Corpulent Mass + heroic recovery have been more than enough to keep him alive and I did not have the Endless gift, so maybe this is a bit overdefensive?

I did not try the Nurglings, but did try the Poxbringer and it was kind of bad for me. I agree with increasing plaguebearers unit size over poxbringer.  On the other end, the MW output of the Beast of Nurgle has been really useful for me, the run and charge also.

The Glottkin not being a Daemon is a downside. It does not have the +5 Ward like the rest of the army and it does not benefit from Host of Chaos abilities and buffs like Sloppity. On the plus side it is a hero monster, it has access to different spell lores, and the model is awesome. Not a bad warscroll either, i just wished it had more synergies with the list.

Poxbringer was only good for holding an objective, but nothing else. First candidate to be kicked out of the list.

My GUO definitely needed the endless gift. He held a unit of 6 fully buffed kurnoth Hunters for 3 turns until my GUO went down by shooting from the depressed treegirl (20 attacks damn...). The bell on the GUO is obligatory. But against any Buffed magic the bileblade only made things worse for my GUO. No spell went through (obviously bad dicerolling was involved).

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

I would also split the drones into 2x3. Buffed drones are a good hammer, but they have big bases, wigly coherency and they die...like flies do😂. With 2x3 you have a back up hammer, which i really missed last game. 
What exactly is the task for the Chaos Warriors and tamed beasts? Never played or saw them until now.

I agree, the drones are awkward in a unit of 6, however once 1 of them dies they can move however they want and usually my opponent will kill one. I do need to play more with them because terrain is in fact an issue but will have to see. They did amazing for me at the London Open surprising all of my opponents with their damage output when they have blades of putrefaction and all out attack.

The warriors I havent tried yet but on paper they just seem very very tanky. They have a 3+ save and with the harbinger of decay a 5+ ward. With blades of putrefaction they also swing back very very hard, with two hand weapons and all out attack you are hitting on 2s rerolling, and 5+ causes mortals so I will reroll anything that is below 5+ and fish for the mortals. Its at least 20 attacks but if you form them in a zigzag to get the back rank in between the front you could in an ideal situation get all 20 in for 40 attacks, and with a GUO thats even more.

When I played before with pure daemons I found my blob of 20 bearers with a bilepiper and scrivener combined with the GUO did really well on one flank but then my other flanks would collapse without the sloppity buffs so I'm thinking of trying a flank of mortals and a flank of daemons with similar buffs.

If not I might just double up on 2 sloppities one on either flank but as Bibob mentioned One Last Gift is the biggest output of damage I find from the plague bearers as their attacks are somewhat lacking.

Not sure about trying the Beast of nurgle, it looks nice but also so expensive for a single model...

yes a second flank mostly based on unbuffed plaguebearers is pretty lackluster. I kind of like the idea of doubling on sploppities. A second flank having access to second sloppity, Blades of putrefaction (from sorcerer or glotkin, or else), and/or maybe even a plague priest for Curse prayer might be able to punch through some stuff.

• Subscriber

I'm new to Maggotkin and after looking at the coalition rules, I've seen it as an excuse to get round to doing a vermin lord, as the corrupter can be used with Maggotkin. Because it's a daemon, it will also benefit from any buffs that affect Nurgle Daemons right? 

Not just from a competitive point of view, but has anybody else used these coalition rules to have some cool conversions or themed armies?

On 8/11/2021 at 9:44 PM, TimeToWaste85 said:

How would this do, in general. Nurgle is my least favorite of the gods, so I put in less effort usually:

Archaon

GUO w/bell and flail

verminlord corruptor

Epidemius 

3x10 units of Plaguebearers

Feculent Gnarlmaw scenery

burning head, just because I have 25pts left. 

I think the plaguebearers will melt very fast in such a list leaving you with only the heroes. Not a the heroes are bad, far from it, but it may be hard to score objectives.

57 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

I'm new to Maggotkin and after looking at the coalition rules, I've seen it as an excuse to get round to doing a vermin lord, as the corrupter can be used with Maggotkin. Because it's a daemon, it will also benefit from any buffs that affect Nurgle Daemons right? 

Not just from a competitive point of view, but has anybody else used these coalition rules to have some cool conversions or themed armies?

Yes it does count as a Daemon for stuff like Munificient Wanderers and others. I've been working these past days on a Verminlord for my Nurgle army! No conversions, but I plan on adding more nurglings, and I believe it will fit pretty well with the rest of the army.

PXL_20210811_232618415.jpg.f383176f6428adcb99604041b9a6a71e.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Bibob45 said:

Yes it does count as a Daemon for stuff like Munificient Wanderers and others. I've been working these past days on a Verminlord for my Nurgle army! No conversions, but I plan on adding more nurglings, and I believe it will fit pretty well with the rest of the army.

PXL_20210811_232618415.jpg.f383176f6428adcb99604041b9a6a71e.jpg

Nice work! I was thinking of all sorts of cool things I could do with nurglings and rats on the base. Nurglings riding rats. Even a tiny battle between nurglings and rats all under the feet of the Verminlord.

2 hours ago, SunStorm said:

Nice work! I was thinking of all sorts of cool things I could do with nurglings and rats on the base. Nurglings riding rats. Even a tiny battle between nurglings and rats all under the feet of the Verminlord.

Do you have any photos for us. I would like to see them. :)

• Subscriber
58 minutes ago, Homer72 said:

Do you have any photos for us. I would like to see them. :)

Still very early WIP as I'm waiting for some bits orders to arrive, but I was thinking there is plenty of space on this base to have some interesting nurgling/rat interactions.

DufmQTt.jpg?1

kjp1uL4.jpg?1

• Like 1

According to the corerules, the player rolling the dice can choose which ability is triggered on a 6. And only one ability can be triggered. So RAW each ability of our opponents that triggers on 6, just stops "One last gift" from working. That is just stupid.

How do you think about that?

On 8/11/2021 at 8:28 AM, Archibald said:

This Thread seems to be gone in hibernation mode...

How are you guys doing with 3.0? Tried out blightkings again? Are only daemons viable? Is munificent wanderers obligatory? Do you have some interesting lists?

I am painting my next 500p atm for a 1k5 list. Played my first game of Nurgle against lumineth and made a lot if stupid mistakes regarding priorisation, but in the end won with a 3 points lead.
MVP was Sloppity Bilepiper who only got 2 wounds by a treelord ancient and then kept on to hold his ground. GUO was truely discustingly resilient but the Bileblade was useless against his warsong with the roll 3 dice choose two for magic stuff. I think that i will exchange the blade for the flail so the GUO can kill at least something. Plaguebearers fell like flies against Kurnoth Hunters. Nurglings and Beast of Nurgle were meh...

My list:

- Triumphs: 

Leaders
Great Unclean One (350)*
- General
- Plague Flail & Doomsday Bell
- Artefact: The Endless Gift  
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (130)*
Spoilpox Scrivener Herald of Nurgle (125)*
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle(135)

Battleline
20 x Plaguebearers (220)**
- Reinforced x 1

Units
3 x Plague Drones (195)**
3 x Nurglings (90)*
1 x Beasts of Nurgle (125)*

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Hunters of the Heartlands

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1480 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Wounds: 96

I will be exchanging the Poxbringer to expand the second Plaguebearer unit up to 20 and maybe Swapping out Nurglings and Beast for a second Drone unit for more damage?

My way to 2k will be the Glottkin (saw a cool battlereport ob youtube with him. Seemed awesome) and 10 more Plaguebearers. What do you think?

I’m still here, list seems decent, I would say glotkin is v swingy mate he’s either done loads or nothing at all of use for me!

I’ve managed 4 wins of the 6 games I’ve played. my list is usually a variation of

munificent wanderers

prized sorcery.

General:

great unclean one W/bell

mucktalon/command ability.

ive used all 3 spells and can’t decide which I like best.

glotkin-blades of putrefaction 

belakor 

sloppity bilepiper

spoilpos scrivener

3 x 10 plague bearers

5 blightkings 

So there is no way to play Rotbringers competitively? Blightkings seem especially weak, because they can't combine their 6s to hit male D6 hits with the blades of putrification spell.

I mostly deal damage via the commandtrait "one last gift", everything else is just peanuts...

18 hours ago, Archibald said:

So there is no way to play Rotbringers competitively? Blightkings seem especially weak, because they can't combine their 6s to hit male D6 hits with the blades of putrification spell.

I mostly deal damage via the commandtrait "one last gift", everything else is just peanuts...

In my experience BKs are only usefull with gutrot spume via deep strike. So far I have good results with MSU Plaguebearers and Drones.