AoS 2 - Disciples of Tzeentch Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I was pretty sure the keywords on the actual warscroll are what matter for HERO purposes, thought I might be crazy. Behemoth is a comp tag used for Pitched Battle and that's it? Ala Leader or Battleline, none of which appear on warscrolls.

And yep, totally unrelated. I realized my potential LOC conversion is really large, so I've been looking at the Exalted LOC instead of regular big bird. 120 points seems to buy a bunch of wounds and better melee probability, if not actually more attaks, plus a punchier Gateway. Also interesting they have the same damage decay? Just stops getting worse once he gets sufficiently beat up.

I think the thing that really confuses me about the Spell Portal is where they originaly designed clearly they thought at 60 points that's what was it worth to cast doe myself 6-7 spells a turn through it.

Now, they've reduced that effectiveness by 500-600% percent but it's the same cost?

So it's now about 12 points per spell cast and it costs 1 spell. That's without your opponent dispelling it. 

Is it still worth it? Just to push a gaunt summoner spell or loc?

We didn't have it in 1st edition and we did fine, however all our wizards went up by 60 points. Was it a crutch?

38 minutes ago, obmik1 said:

The question is, what is better. Arcane sacrifice or magical supremacy?

I do prefer Arcane Sacrifice as the bonus range to unbind will only affect things that are more than 30" away so it's most likely a buff or an other wizard is nearby. Also using Sacrice on a Gaunt Summoner (sacrificing Pinks for Blue Points and battleshock and/or Fold Reality) to increase the hordburn to 27" is dope.

I agree. 

Fold reality is a bit risky now on those 200 point pinks though? A roll of a 1 and they are destroyed right? So I assume that means you do not generate blue points from them? If you do it's less of a blow. If you don't that's hideous. 

7 hours ago, AaronWIlson said:

I think the thing that really confuses me about the Spell Portal is where they originaly designed clearly they thought at 60 points that's what was it worth to cast doe myself 6-7 spells a turn through it.

Now, they've reduced that effectiveness by 500-600% percent but it's the same cost?

It still works for the enemy, right? I'd say it's a 20 point spell in that case, like the shackles that do a thing but it isn't a huge thing and the enemy can use it too, plus with more than one model on the table it's easily dispelled. If it doesn't or didn't work for the enemy, I guess it could make sense at 40 points, or maybe more like 30. Gives armies that don't have range boosters a way to kick a big spell out early game, so still useful, but no longer the alpha strike vector those armies with heavy magic (and range boosters ironically) were using it as.

Questions. Is the changing still worth his 200 points. Is the changing still worth his 200 points in a changehost. How best to deplotly him so that you don't lose him turn one to an enemy hero? What shenanigans can he get up to?

Yesterday I've faced my friend and his Stormcast Eternals (1000pts). We played 3 games and, despite me winning one of them (by 1 Victory Point), I felt completely overwhelmed. Here is his list:

Anvils of Heldenhammer

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (General)

Lord-Celestant on Dracoth

Knight-Incantor

Sequitors

Sequitors

Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows

Quicksilver Swords

Sequitors with their save or to hit re-rolls may be ultra durable or killy (for their 120pts they seem broken), Vanguard-Raptors ditch horrid amount of damage to low-save armies, Quicksilver Sword are painful for Chaos, Lords hit hard and are vulnerable to mortal wounds only and my crucial spell is always unbound by Incantor.

How would you deal with them?

Edited by Quarmiel

Hi Guys,

I'm currently looking at starting a Tzeentch army. I'd like to go for mostly mortals instead of any deamons since i'm not really that fond on the designs. 

I was thinking of starting a 1000 point list to battle with some friends (so not too competitive)  with some Tzaangors, a couple of hero's (any rec's?) and some Skyfires.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, Mhexin said:

Hi Guys,

I'm currently looking at starting a Tzeentch army. I'd like to go for mostly mortals instead of any deamons since i'm not really that fond on the designs. 

I was thinking of starting a 1000 point list to battle with some friends (so not too competitive)  with some Tzaangors, a couple of hero's (any rec's?) and some Skyfires.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

An Alter-kin coven would meet your stated requirements. (1x Acolytes, 1x Tzaangor, 1x Skyfires) (130 Points)

Add in a Tzaangor Shaman (and perhaps an additional hero.) (A Fatemaster would be a reasonable additional beatstick and as cheap as you get at 120. And he has a Command Ability. And is cheap enough to allow you to take 10 additional Kairic Acolytes.)

That’s 210 with a Battalion, and 340 without.

At 210, a Fatemaster and that Kairic Acolytes upgrade would put you at 990.

Alternately, drop the Battalion, take another 10 Tzaangor and a 160 Point hero for an even 1000.

**++ **Pitched Battle** 1,000 (Chaos - Tzeentch) [990pts] ++**

**+ Leader +**

**Fatemaster [120]**
**Tzaangor Shaman [180pts]:**

**+ Battalion +**

**Battalion: Alter-kin Coven [690pts]:** Alter-Kin Coven

. **Kairic Acolytes:** 2x 10 Kairic Acolytes

. **Tzaangor Skyfires:** 3 Tzaangor Skyfires

. **Tzaangors:** 10 Tzaangors

Alternately:

**++ **Pitched Battle** 1,000 (Chaos - Tzeentch) [980pts] ++**

**+ Leader +**
**Magister [140pts]**

**+ Battleline +**
**Kairic Acolytes [80pts]:** 10 Kairic Acolytes

**Tzaangors [360pts]:** 2x 10 Tzaangors

**+ Other +**
**Tzaangor Skyfires [220pts]:** 3 Tzaangor Skyfires

If you’re going with Tzaangors, you can’t go wrong with a Tzaangor Shaman.  Might be a stretch go take 30 but they are strong in a full unit. I really like the Magister at 1000 pts for potential free spawn. Beyond that some filler Kairic Acolytes are always nice, and the Guant Summoner really helps clear hordes/chaff.

Finally had my first game for 2.0
Faced off against ogors, from a game mechanics point of view 2.0 is great, from  a Tzeentch point of view i feel alittle underwhelmed.
It was a tight and close game, only being pipped at the end for a loss.

Main gripe is that things just seem overcosted for what they do, i feel a LOC shoudn't be 380 points, i also feel the fate points for summoning is a tad high.
To my surprise i did manage to summon some blues who then split into brims, but there was no way i was going to summon anything else. 

Seeing the results from the midwest meltdown hasn't filled me with hope either. 

44 minutes ago, Olincay said:

Finally had my first game for 2.0
Faced off against ogors, from a game mechanics point of view 2.0 is great, from  a Tzeentch point of view i feel alittle underwhelmed.
It was a tight and close game, only being pipped at the end for a loss.

Main gripe is that things just seem overcosted for what they do, i feel a LOC shoudn't be 380 points, i also feel the fate points for summoning is a tad high.
To my surprise i did manage to summon some blues who then split into brims, but there was no way i was going to summon anything else. 

Seeing the results from the midwest meltdown hasn't filled me with hope either. 

With the changes to Mark of the Conjurer, a LoC with Cogs will yield 6 Fate points per turn for only 440 points. I guess that's nothing to joke about. Kairos on the otherhand ..

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Drib said:

With the changes to Mark of the Conjurer, a LoC with Cogs will yield 6 Fate points per turn for only 440 points. I guess that's nothing to joke about. Kairos on the otherhand ..

This is true, my game was prior to the FAQ.
380 still doesn't sit right with me. 
i feel the high cost for wizards has a flow on affect, yes we can summon but summoning takes time and since those wizards come at a premium points wise it leaves us scarce of the table the first few turns. 

Im probably just complaining now so i'll stop haha. 

13 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

An Alter-kin coven would meet your stated requirements. (1x Acolytes, 1x Tzaangor, 1x Skyfires) (130 Points)

Add in a Tzaangor Shaman (and perhaps an additional hero.) (A Fatemaster would be a reasonable additional beatstick and as cheap as you get at 120. And he has a Command Ability. And is cheap enough to allow you to take 10 additional Kairic Acolytes.)

That’s 210 with a Battalion, and 340 without.

At 210, a Fatemaster and that Kairic Acolytes upgrade would put you at 990.

Alternately, drop the Battalion, take another 10 Tzaangor and a 160 Point hero for an even 1000.

**++ **Pitched Battle** 1,000 (Chaos - Tzeentch) [990pts] ++**

**+ Leader +**

**Fatemaster [120]**

**+ Battalion +**

**Battalion: Alter-kin Coven [690pts]:** Alter-Kin Coven

. **Kairic Acolytes:** 2x 10 Kairic Acolytes

. **Tzaangor Skyfires:** 3 Tzaangor Skyfires

. **Tzaangors:** 10 Tzaangors

Alternately:

**++ **Pitched Battle** 1,000 (Chaos - Tzeentch) [980pts] ++**

**+ Leader +**
**Magister [140pts]**

**+ Battleline +**
**Kairic Acolytes [80pts]:** 10 Kairic Acolytes

**Tzaangors [360pts]:** 2x 10 Tzaangors

**+ Other +**
**Tzaangor Skyfires [220pts]:** 3 Tzaangor Skyfires

13 hours ago, FPC said:

If you’re going with Tzaangors, you can’t go wrong with a Tzaangor Shaman.  Might be a stretch go take 30 but they are strong in a full unit. I really like the Magister at 1000 pts for potential free spawn. Beyond that some filler Kairic Acolytes are always nice, and the Guant Summoner really helps clear hordes/chaff.

Thanks for all the help! Eventually I want this list to keep growing but I will definitely pick up what you've put there. I love the design of all those models so excited to start

On 7/24/2018 at 3:40 AM, AaronWIlson said:

I think I will be using Balewind / Arcane sacrifice now rather then a spell porta.

It seems like a tough call to me to give up the LoC +1  cast ability to everyone for  extending Gaunt's spell.  Do you just use your command point on the LoC after you get enough flamethrowers off from your commander guant summoner?