AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

@RocketMan
Nah, a 24" bubble is plenty, and you have a 24" range to place it. That is a matter of skill, which I can work with. If you are good you can summon it in just the right spot. Also notice the wholly within is only for the ghoul unit you want to heal with it - a monster could be just touching the edge.  There is definitely a discussion of when to bring it - if you are not bringing enough ghouls then things are not likely to die enough to get the benefit.

I've been playing FEC since the day the first tome came out so I can understand a lot of this stuff in context. I have all kinds of ideas for how to use the Chalice to maximum effect. It just depends on how you play and what type of list you want to bring.

3 minutes ago, Vlagorescu said:

I'd actually consider taking a corpse cart and a mortis engine for 260p instead.

That sure is another viable way of upping the casting, but it'll quite difficult for any fighty character to stay within range of those two, especially the cart. Arkhan is just more independent.

55 minutes ago, Vlagorescu said:

Hm.. fleur de lys is actually not a bad idea but I was thinking of something more gruesome :/ 

Why would you have something more gruesome for a noble army fighting for what is right in this world and to bring peace and glory to the realm?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RocketMan said:

I do not reckon where I read it but wholly within mean all the bases have to be within ... 

CORE RULES Designers’ Commentary, December 2018

Page 3

Q: Sometimes a rule will specify that a model or unit needs to be ‘wholly within’ a certain distance. What exactly does ‘wholly within’ mean?

A: A model is wholly within a certain distance if every part of its base is within the stated distance. A unit is wholly within a certain distance if every part of the bases of all of the models in the unit is within the stated distance. For example, a model would be wholly within 12" of the edge of the battlefield as long as every part of its base was 12" or less from the edge, while a unit would be wholly within 12" of the edge of the battlefield as long as every part of every base of the models from the unit were 12" or less from the edge.

• Thanks 2

I'm really hesitating between Gristlegore and Blisterkin for my Monster Mash list. The first one is all about optimizing the big guys insane power but I feel the second one is more flexible, movement bonus, redeployment and extra CP are very tempting as well. 

11 minutes ago, Peegee said:

I'm really hesitating between Gristlegore and Blisterkin for my Monster Mash list. The first one is all about optimizing the big guys insane power but I feel the second one is more flexible, movement bonus, redeployment and extra CP are very tempting as well. 

I think always strikes first is so powerful for any list running a monster that it outweighs any other option available to FEC. Everything else in gristlegore is just icing.

Edited by Pangu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fluttershy said:

CORE RULES Designers’ Commentary, December 2018

Page 3

Q: Sometimes a rule will specify that a model or unit needs to be ‘wholly within’ a certain distance. What exactly does ‘wholly within’ mean?

A: A model is wholly within a certain distance if every part of its base is within the stated distance. A unit is wholly within a certain distance if every part of the bases of all of the models in the unit is within the stated distance. For example, a model would be wholly within 12" of the edge of the battlefield as long as every part of its base was 12" or less from the edge, while a unit would be wholly within 12" of the edge of the battlefield as long as every part of every base of the models from the unit were 12" or less from the edge.

i was right though, thx mate :)

10 hours ago, Furious Robert said:

In thr old battletome I always tried to get my summoning out as quick as possibly. Our Heroes are very vulnerable and we didn't have any other command abilities to use CP's on. I am still aiming for 1st turn summon all. It can give board control and the more the merrier. 

Yea I was more thinking which units, if a varg will be the go to.

2 hours ago, Pangu said:

I think always strikes first is so powerful for any list running a monster that it outweighs any other option available to FEC. Everything else in gristlegore is just icing.

+1 for sure!  I may start Beasts of Chaos over FEC and their endless spell that makes units strike last is a part of it. 

11 hours ago, RocketMan said:

mate, just wait fot the book... chalice is not as u intended...honestly is nice, but i don't think it'll work well with big unit thanks to general aos rule of the wholly within

nm

Edited by soots

11 hours ago, Pangu said:

If you can fit another artefact in with a battalion, Doppelganger Cloak on your other Terrorgheist should achieve to ruin opponent's combat phase...

1 hour ago, Deadkitten said:

But usually 1 good turn is all you need.  That Dopp Cloak is a third unit fighting before your opponent goes.  The -1 to Hit will be more consistent for sure.   

So the cloak doesnt let you attack before anyone. It just changes who can attack you and in what order. Its best used in a MSU style setup

19 hours ago, Mutter said:

That sure is another viable way of upping the casting, but it'll quite difficult for any fighty character to stay within range of those two, especially the cart. Arkhan is just more independent.

I really rate the Mortis engine... It can actually do some decent damage in range/ melee plus you can get the bomb of heals/ damage later in the game. Can easily combine with the book rules to give +3 on casting early on and keeps up with the heroes. Plus the whole "reliquary" fits the feel of the army.

The corpse cart is just 80pts of +1 to cast which, while okay, feels useless in every other regard and is easily killed.

Arkhan is interesting, but is a LOT of points just to cast curse of years and as other have stated, his powerful deathly invocation is totally wasted.

51 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Actually I‘d rather put a +1 dmg artefact on my archregent (7 attacks at 2 dmg are brutal)

I think that in most cases that's going to be a bit of a waste. Normally, your AR will stay back first turn to sit on the throne, and then it'll be a while till he can join the fray. If you only have one, you mightn't even want him IN the fray, for fear of losing his nasty spell.

I'd rather take stuff to buff my frontline stuff, e.g. Terrorgheists.

Edited by Mutter
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Gdead909 said:

So the cloak doesnt let you attack before anyone. It just changes who can attack you and in what order. Its best used in a MSU 

Yes, technically you are correct.  However the practical effect is that you could Leverage the cloak into three profitable attacks before your opponent.  No it isn't absolute and there is some setup cost but the doppelganger cloak in conjunction with the new character and another unit that you can pick first as the player with priority seems pretty good.

• Like 1