AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Happy New Year Blood & Skull lovers!

Bit of a sad ending to last year with the nerf to Bloodletters, slightly offset by the major boost to Karanak and minor boost to Bloodcrushers.

It doesn't appear Khorne is on the new model/tome release list this year, although rumors continue regarding a World Eaters 40K release however this could occur without any new models for AOS. The GHB2019 will be interesting to see if we get any favourable points adjustments. Also very wary that the next GHB may see prayers cop the rule of 1 and stop us from stacking killing frenzy/bronzed flesh and/or farming blood tithe through multiple blood sacrifices. Not that I look to abuse the prayers but when I do have 2 priests with killing frenzy its so I can spread the love around and not stack all the buffs on one unit. Limiting prayers to be used on one unit, instead of only one type of prayer, would be an OK compromise in my eyes. Then again maybe GW wont address it at all as khorne has been hit enough with the nerf bat in the last couple of years. Hell we may even get a new FAQ that fixes our allegiance ability (doubt it!). 

I'm kicking off the year with a 1000 point tournament this Sunday and am looking at a different sort of list, something like this;

Allegiance: Khorne
Aspiring Deathbringer (80) - General - Bloodaxe and Wrath Hammer - Trait: Violent Urgency  - Artefact: The Brazen Rune 
Bloodstoker (80)
Scyla Anfingrimm (100)
Skullgrinder (80)
10 x Blood Warriors (200) - Goreaxes - 1x Goreglaives
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Skullreapers (170) - Daemonblades - 1x Soultearers
3 x Bloodcrushers (140)

Total: 950 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1

Its a beginners tournament designed to kick start the AOS scene in my area (Central Coast, NSW, Australia- say hi if you're local!).

With that in mind I want to run my 10 Bloodwarriors because I just got them painted, am quite happy with how they turned out and so want to see them on the table. Unfortunately its 20% of my army and won't get much in the way of buffs so not sure how I will best use them. Once I get over the paint job I can see these guys being reserved for 2000 point games but time will tell. 

The Aspiring Deathbringer and Bloodstoker will hang out with the Skullreapers and go kill things, while the flesh hounds and blood crushers can all keep pace with Scyla, whose 6" leaping pile in ability should allow him to get to some unsuspecting heroes in the backfield. I have the old Scyla model and have never used him in AOS before so should be fun. Similar story with Bloodcrushers, never used them but in a beginners tournament with the new charge buff I'm prepared to give them a shot (also with the 10 point reduction, taking them instead of knights means I get a spare command point). 

I've decided not to take a bloodsecrator because in a recent practice game I just found him to get left behind and out of range. I was tempted to run him forward before planting the banner but was wary of my opponents' magic, shooting and summoning. The Deathbringer can do a similar job for the mortals while the faster daemons will likely be out of range even if I move him forward first turn. 

Ideally I would like a Skullmaster Herald on Juggernaught instead of Scyla as he could keep pace with the daemons and pop their loci abilities. Sadly I do not have the model as yet so that will have to wait for another day. 

So, my fellow Khorne brethren...

What are your thoughts on the above?

How are you kicking off 2019?

What are you looking forward to/dreading as far as new models/rules go?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Happy New Year Blood & Skull lovers!

So, my fellow Khorne brethren...

What are your thoughts on the above?

How are you kicking off 2019?

What are you looking forward to/dreading as far as new models/rules go?

Happy new year!

I'm eager to hear how this goes--I have the Aspiring Deathbringer and the Skullgrinder but never really use them.

I'm kicking off 2019 assembling 10 more bloodletters, then putting together some skullreapers and hopefully bashing the leftover parts onto some leftover bloodreavers and blood warriors. That's the big project in 2019.

I really hope we get some basic allegiance benefit rather than having to save up tithes and only get to spend them once. I have a SCE Hammers of Sigmar army, and they get deep strike, bonuses when they deep strike, the ability to spend a command point for the chance to return an entire slain unit. I just want a benefit or two that I don't have to pay dearly for.

I would like to see something kind of like what the Drukhari have with Power from Pain: a neat little set of stacking bonuses as the battle goes on. I think that would work wonderfully, fluff-wise, with a Khorne army, as the continuation of the slaughter makes the army stronger.

• Like 2

@Zamik I'll most likely do a report after the event so stay tuned for that. I considered the Skullgrinder instead of Scyla but Scyla seems more fun. 

Love those allegiance ability changes you've suggested, although I would be wary of it becoming too powerful in conjunction with summoning.  The Daughters of Khaine allegiance ability is bananas however they can't summon. I would be happy enough if we could bank unspent blood tithe instead of wasting it, even if the cap stayed at 8. That would at least occasionally allow for summoning and other abilities in the same turn, or just for the abilities to see more use.

• Like 2

When a bloodletter (1 wound) rides a juggernaut = 4 wounds (Bloodcrushers)

When a chaos warrior (2 wounds) rides a juggernaut = 5 wounds (Skullcrushers)

When a Lord of Khorne (assume 5 wounds as per most heroes) rides a Juggernaut = 8 wounds

From the above I think we can safely determine that a Juggernaut has 3 wounds, yes?

So when a Herald of Khorne (5 wounds) rides a juggernaut he has... 6 wounds??? WTF?!

Hey Skullmaster, why does your Juggernaut only have 1 wound??? Or are you a ******-weak herald with only 3 wounds??? Even though Slaanesh and Tzeetnch heralds can get mounts for free, we pay 20 points and dont even get the full wounds compliment... not cool GW

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zamik said:

putting together some skullreapers and hopefully bashing the leftover parts onto some leftover bloodreavers and blood warriors. 

This sounds like a great way to get the most out of the wrathmonger/skullreaper box.

Anyone got pics or tips on how to do this kitbashing? I'd be keen to try it myself.

I did it in reverse. I built Wrathmongers with the box, then used 5 x bloodwarrior legs to make Skullreapers. Some cutting down of the bodies and minor green stuff was needed but otherwise worked really well. The remaining 5 bloodwarriors paired up with the 5 from the starter set to make a unit of 10 with a goreglaive. 

• Like 2

I’m lucky, I have a lot of Bloodletters, so I am making  Bloodletter Skullreapers with Skulls instead of Bloodletter heads. 

With the Daemon swords, they’re essentially 3 Wound Mortal Bloodletters anyway - mortals on 6+ not the natural 6.

Wrathmongers, I’m making from modded Warriors.

Edited by Coyote

6 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

I did it in reverse. I built Wrathmongers with the box, then used 5 x bloodwarrior legs to make Skullreapers. Some cutting down of the bodies and minor green stuff was needed but otherwise worked really well. The remaining 5 bloodwarriors paired up with the 5 from the starter set to make a unit of 10 with a goreglaive. 

Got any pics of the kitbashed skullreapers by chance?

I'd really like to see how they look.

10 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

@Izikail does summoning count as deepstriking? if so, then yes.

Also Karanak's new battalion allows for some teleporting shenanigans.

You can also use a Wraith of Khorne bloodthirster's command ability to allow one daemon unit to run and charge with +1" to both. Combine that with a Bloodstoker who gives +3" to both, and pretty much any daemon unit you choose will be able to get a first turn charge.  More alphastrike than deepstrike butp retty great none the less 🙂

I dont consider summoning as deepstrikeing, especialy as i dont like summoning personaly. But i supose with our speed it is less required (wish the bloodtherster ca worked on mortals to)

I like having a centerpeice model and lean more to mortals then demons, is the slaughterbrute worth taking or is it just a pts sink?

10 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

A friend gifted me the reavers and blood warriors from the Storm of Sigmar set, and so my intent is to build a unit of 5 with daemon weapons as normal, then put the mortal weapons and assorted bits on the bloodreavers for another unit; and THEN I was thinking of using the wrathflails to bash two slaughterpriests out of the blood warriors. That configuration would give me access to the Skulltake and Gore Pilgrims battalions.

This will be my first real bash (ie, not just swapping a head or gluing a random bit to a model for extra character). Wish me luck!

Edited by Zamik
  • Like 4

I got 2 lots of the reavers from the starter set and so used leftover Skullreaper weapons on the second unit of reavers to help differentiate them. Works really well. Your plans for kitbashing priests sounds solid.

@123lac dont have any pics handy at the moment (no close ups anyway) but will take some and post probably next week at this stage. 

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

LETHAL DAEMON PRINCE COMBO

Due to my love of Bloodthirsters, Bloodstokers and maxed out Gore Pilgrims I almost never run a Daemon Prince in 2000 point games. No command ability is certainly a factor, however while crafting 1000 point lists for the upcoming tournament I'm going to I came across this combo and thought I would share it (I'm not claiming this at all btw however its too good not to share);

• Make Daemon Prince your General and obviously take Mark of Khorne
  • Take the Axe instead of the Sword
  • Mark of Khorne means both the Axe and his Claws now hit on 3+ instead of 4+
  • Make your army come from the Realm of Ghyran and give him Gyrstrike for +1 to hit and wound on the Axe
  • Finally give him the Immense Power Command Trait for +1 Damage to all melee weapons
  • The Resulting melee profile is;
  • Axe = 4 / 2+ / 2+ / -2 / D3+1
  • Claws = 3 / 3+ / 3+ / - / 3

Total possible damage of 25 without buffing his attacks (Bloodsecrator alone would allow for a possible 7 additional damage).

For real shenanigans and to really ensure his attacks go through you could ally in a Chaos Sorcerer Lord and cast Daemonic Power on him to reroll hits, wounds and saves of 1 (personally I don't like wizards in my Khorne army but to each their own). 

At the very least he is probably getting whipped by the Stoker on the turn he charges so will reroll wounds of 1. 

His 12" flight move makes him a good hero hunter however with this much damage potential you could confidently send him after most small to medium units.

I'm 99% confident I will run him this way for the tournament and see what happens.  Below is my current list;

Allegiance: Khorne
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Daemon Prince of Khorne (160)
- General
- Trait: Immense Power 
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Aspiring Deathbringer (80)
- Bloodaxe and Wrath Hammer
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxes
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers

Total: 950 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1

• Like 2

Started on these guys today to follow up on my two underworld teams painted in a similar scheme!  Finally going to dive into AOS proper but for now Ive only got the half of the old starter set. Id imagine Id want some more blood warriors and a slaughter priest to start. After that though Demons and some Heroes?  just looking for some general tips :)

anjdlejhbc.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, THUNDERHAMMER said:

slaughter priest to start. After that though Demons and some Heroes?  just looking for some general tips :)

They look sweet!

Have you got the bloodsecrator and bloodstoker? Those two, plus priests, seem to be a mainstay. After that maybe a Wrath of Khorne or Insensate Rage Bloodthirster?

2 minutes ago, 123lac said:

They look sweet!

Have you got the bloodsecrator and bloodstoker? Those two, plus priests, seem to be a mainstay. After that maybe a Wrath of Khorne or Insensate Rage Bloodthirster?

Ive got those two yeah! Looks like a Start collecting blood warriors would be my next buy. The bloodthirster I would need 8 BT points to summon right? Since Im going to be playing fairly small point games to start is it wise to grab one?

1 hour ago, 123lac said:

They look sweet!

At 1000 points, with the Gore Pilgrams I was able to bring out Kara (my Bloodthirster) by turn 3.  There are other things to use the Blood Tithe for, but by the time I had 6, I might as well wait for 8..,

i think 2 of my Slaughterpriests killed the third one to get the final points that day.

A rules question I can’t seem to find the answer to;

Can the Brazen rune dispell an endless spell automatically? Both on cast and  on table respectively. I know it says it requires a “WIZARD” on the newer Malign Sorcery rules, but since BoK is older I figure this is one of these (rare?) RAI instances that should affect ruling. 

Edited by misthv

47 minutes ago, misthv said:

A rules question I can’t seem to find the answer to;

Can the Brazen rune dispell an endless spell automatically? Both on cast and  on table respectively. I know it says it requires a “WIZARD” on the newer Malign Sorcery rules, but since BoK is older I figure this is one of these (rare?) RAI instances that should affect ruling. 

I don't think it's been specifically clarified anywhere.

But seeing as the casting of an endless spell is the same for all intents and purposes as any other spell I'd say it would work.

For dispelling an active one I'd say no. The reason being they seem to distinguish between unbinding a spell that is actively being cast and dispelling an endless spell. They specifically say that non wizards (or all khorne stuff) that can unbind spells can't dispel endless spells.

27 minutes ago, Retro said:

They specifically say that non wizards (or all khorne stuff) that can unbind spells can't dispel endless spells.

Thanks for answer! Yeah—but even then Slaughterpriests dispell “in the same manner as a wizard”. Oh well, maybe you’re right but I think it’s quite weird anyway!

45 minutes ago, misthv said:

Thanks for answer! Yeah—but even then Slaughterpriests dispell “in the same manner as a wizard”. Oh well, maybe you’re right but I think it’s quite weird anyway!

If you look at the wording (at least on the app, older publications might be different) it uses the wording "unbind one spell" as opposed to dispel.

In gw language they seem to use the word "unbind" for cancelling an enemy spell while being cast and "dispel" to kill an already active endless spell.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2019 at 12:51 PM, Coyote said:

What do you want your list to do?  I’d pick a list closer to #1 and drop Karanak unless you wan him to Dispel Magic.

- Are you able to run Blood Pilgrams - that clicks in at under 1000 and is very competitive.  

- Karanak - My jury is out right now, 160 pts is too expensive for me unless he’s working with a couple units and a Warscroll- also do you have Flesh Hounds?  

He really earns his points if he’s able to summon, if you field him but aren’t able to bring models out he’s a Overcost for what he brings.

- Are you able to proxy any *Slaughterpriests*?  They’ll add to options making a Hero phase more useful.

- Khorgorath  - Is like to hear how this does- I have not fielded yet, I only have 1 right now.  I’d like to see if I can get another couple (or 5!) and field in a larger unit and go stomping Sylvaneth Wildwoods. 

My mate kept buying boxsets and I've ended up with 4 khorgoraths, such a fun list running them as single units but as tag teams, however having a load of them is a total destruction list; no good for objectives in the current game

Edited by Seppukuslaughterpriest
Typo