AoS 2 - Moonclan Discussion

Chris Tomlin

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Rusty293 said:

Fanatics moving like endless spells (i.e potentially controlled by both players depending on who chose the first move in the battle round) is actually a pretty cool, thematic idea. This could be coupled with a rules change so that they inflict damage like some endless spells just by moving through units. That to me would balance them out and not require any extreme points increase. Plus makes them the potential threat to friend and foe they're supposed to be! 

I dont see that as too far off of a possibility given that is how the fanatic works in Underworlds. Granted its a different game entirely, but GW does love to parallel a good narrative and frankly the current fanatics are way over costed for what they do. I have played gobbos for 3 previous editions of Oldhammer and they were always random obstacle like elements. You never knew as either player what they would exactly do, and that was a huge part of the fun AND threat of them. 

Hey All,

Do you have any advice for someone looking to play Moonclan and grots more generally ('cuz Gobbos is da' Best!), not really interested in collecting old resin models. 

Do people have any thoughts on which models will remain relevant after the Moonclan release (that is hopefully coming soon) finally happens? 

Are Zarbag and his gits worth picking up? I don't play Nightvault, but it seems like they would be  decent value for a squig herder a couple of squigs, and a fanatic. 

53 minutes ago, Hankster said:

Hey All,

Do you have any advice for someone looking to play Moonclan and grots more generally ('cuz Gobbos is da' Best!), not really interested in collecting old resin models. 

Do people have any thoughts on which models will remain relevant after the Moonclan release (that is hopefully coming soon) finally happens? 

Are Zarbag and his gits worth picking up? I don't play Nightvault, but it seems like they would be  decent value for a squig herder a couple of squigs, and a fanatic. 

At this point, I would just start building units of the basic Moonclan Grots, a box or 2 of Fanatics, and the Fungoid Shaman. Just the plastic stuff that is very unlikely to be replaced.

4 hours ago, Hankster said:

If nothing else they are great models. You could always use them as their none Unique counterparts.

4 hours ago, Hankster said:

Do you have any advice for someone looking to play Moonclan and grots more generally ('cuz Gobbos is da' Best!)

I'd be real careful about what you pick up atm, honestly I expect Moonclan to have a significant range overhaul because it all looks really dated. The fungoid and Zarbag's Gitz are obviously going to remain. It's also going to be worth picking up a Gitmob Shaman and 60 Gitmob with bows because I REALLY doubt they will ever get updated and even after the moonclan release they will still be a great allies option.

Other than that see what you can pickup off ebay.

16 hours ago, Malakree said:

I'd be real careful about what you pick up atm, honestly I expect Moonclan to have a significant range overhaul because it all looks really dated. The fungoid and Zarbag's Gitz are obviously going to remain. 

I feel that the Grots with bows in Zarbag's fit so seamlessly with the existing Moonclan Grots that people can continue to build them with high confidence that the basic Moonclan Grots kit will not be replaced.

On 10/18/2018 at 4:36 PM, DrDemento said:

battletome rumours have me on hold a bit too, but going to try the new Shadespire warband in my mext AoS game.

Also not sure on current fanatics but can be great to disrupt charges - just not against Ironjawz usually because of the chain assaults when wiping out units.  Same thing with the colossal and manglers - can be great but bad matchup against the Ironjawz due to their damage boosts against monsters.

against jawz I also like big units of grot, and cave squig’s with their mortal wound output when fleeing (so need a biggish unit).

I feel that I should mention that to my knowledge there is no substantial evidence that points to GW making a Grot (or similar) battletome at this time. It is simply a he-said she-said rumor that went crazy to the point that people all but promised GW would reveal it during NOVA (They did Beasts of Chaos instead). It even showed up on third party Warhammer news sites. 

I'm saying all this because I don't want others to deal with what I had to go through in giving my hopes up on it. 

That being said, I certainly hope the GW comes out with something. If the last being GT was any evidence, Destruction as a whole is in desperate need of some help. 

Reasons to expect imminent  Battletome:
1. Too many rumors, some by reputable sources
2. Too many rumor engine pics that fit
3. Malign Portents herald
4. TWO underworld warbands. 

Avoiding resin Moonclan kits is a very reasonable thing to do right now. (of course, buying them is also reasonable if you like the sculpts and don't mind paying the price for them)

31 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Reasons to expect imminent  Battletome:
1. Too many rumors, some by reputable sources
2. Too many rumor engine pics that fit
3. Malign Portents herald
4. TWO underworld warbands. 

Avoiding resin Moonclan kits is a very reasonable thing to do right now. (of course, buying them is also reasonable if you like the sculpts and don't mind paying the price for them)

1. I would love to hear those reputable sources

2. I will agree that the rumor pics do lean towards something grot related. That was part of the reason why I was so on board with the initial rumors. It also helps that the mill pics don't match the warband sculpts. 

3&4. I don't take these are a reputable reasons unless GW said at some point said that the release of those models creates a strong likelihood of more releases to come. As far as warbands are concerned, Plenty of other warbands have been released with no additional releases to follow up on. Fyreslayers are in need of something new to spice things up, Ironjaws didn't get anything new and the poor old Skaven didn't get anything after their release either. 

I don't want to sound argumentative, but these old bones of mine just can't take another risk of getting my hopes up on something without more solid proof. So for now I'll stand on the cynical side of things, just know that I'm rooting for a new release as much as the next Skeleton. ?

21 minutes ago, CaptainSoup said:

1. I would love to hear those reputable sources

2. I will agree that the rumor pics do lean towards something grot related. That was part of the reason why I was so on board with the initial rumors. It also helps that the mill pics don't match the warband sculpts. 

3&4. I don't take these are a reputable reasons unless GW said at some point said that the release of those models creates a strong likelihood of more releases to come. As far as warbands are concerned, Plenty of other warbands have been released with no additional releases to follow up on. Fyreslayers are in need of something new to spice things up, Ironjaws didn't get anything new and the poor old Skaven didn't get anything after their release either. 

I don't want to sound argumentative, but these old bones of mine just can't take another risk of getting my hopes up on something without more solid proof. So for now I'll stand on the cynical side of things, just know that I'm rooting for a new release as much as the next Skeleton. ?

1. people here generally say LLV is pretty reputable source when it comes to release and rumors, he was on point with Idoneath and DoK

3&4 GW directly hinted that the other 2 MP herald where signs of things to come when they release Nighthaunt and Sancosact and related the two armies to the  Knight of shrouds and Lord Ordinator respectively. Also the Troll warband has specific unit not currently seen in any of the armies ranges which hint that it newer stuff.

10 minutes ago, novakai said:

1. people here generally say LLV is pretty reputable source when it comes to release and rumors, he was on point with Idoneath and DoK

3&4 GW directly hinted that the other 2 MP herald where signs of things to come when they release Nighthaunt and Sancosact and related the two armies to the  Knight of shrouds and Lord Ordinator respectively. Also the Troll warband has specific unit not currently seen in any of the armies ranges which hint that it newer stuff.

Those are certainly things worth looking into at the very least. Let's just hope the releases won't end on just some new warbands! Thanks for the info.

51 minutes ago, CaptainSoup said:

Fyreslayers are in need of something new to spice things up, Ironjaws didn't get anything new and the poor old Skaven didn't get anything after their release either. 

Fyreslayers has a battletome, plastic heroes, plastic behemoth, etc.  Moonclan has none of those things. 

I think skepticism and tempered expectations is good, but the claim "there is no substantial evidence" is not quite right.  All signs point to moonclan tome/release, and I don't think you can make an argument that any other army is more likely right now, except maybe Slaneesh. 

Edit:  reason 5:
Moonclan warband warscroll for AoS includes new keywords.  Why would they add new keywords not currently used by other AoS units?

16 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

I think skepticism and tempered expectations is good, but the claim "there is no substantial evidence" is not quite right.  All signs point to moonclan tome/release, and I don't think you can make an argument that any other army is more likely right now, except maybe Slaneesh. 

Edit:  reason 5:
Moonclan warband warscroll for AoS includes new keywords.  Why would they add new keywords not currently used by other AoS units?

I will walk about a bit and say that there is a little substantial evidence to the claim. With the help of others here it sounds to me like the only thing that could hint to something grot related would be the MP release and the rumor mill pics. Destruction is definitely due their own set of releases and moonclan especially. What puts bugs in my bones is wording like "All signs point" or "I heard this will definitely happen" because that is misleading. Healthy speculation is great, just don't make it sound like its a fact unintentionally or otherwise. 

All that being said though, Moonclan is due theirs and what better fluffy army to breathe life back into Destruction than some good ol' grots? 

12 minutes ago, CaptainSoup said:

I will walk about a bit and say that there is a little substantial evidence to the claim. With the help of others here it sounds to me like the only thing that could hint to something grot related would be the MP release and the rumor mill pics. Destruction is definitely due their own set of releases and moonclan especially. What puts bugs in my bones is wording like "All signs point" or "I heard this will definitely happen" because that is misleading. Healthy speculation is great, just don't make it sound like its a fact unintentionally or otherwise. 

All that being said though, Moonclan is due theirs and what better fluffy army to breathe life back into Destruction than some good ol' grots? 

Why would gw go to the trouble of making up new units like moonclan trolls and flying squigs, if they were just a one off

4 minutes ago, ChatBatFun said:

Why would gw go to the trouble of making up new units like moonclan trolls and flying squigs, if they were just a one off

To play Devil's Advocate, why make new sculpts of any of the warbands when they could easily just use the same model lines that they already have for AoS? I guess to think of it another way the new sculpts are easier to build (I think?) and would attract those who just want to collect new models for their existing armies. 

Personally I don't believe that just because they made new models for a different game, it means they will release more models or a tome for the Moonclan, at least not on that point alone. Still, its a strong point of speculation though. 

It's in an all monster warband. The way the lore is working in nightvault (nightvault is a place of experiments and other horrors) this could be a totally stand alone monster warband. The symbol is there but could be totally unrelated to grots.

12 minutes ago, Future said:

Just curious why does anyone think the troll is moonclan related and not something else entirely?

A good question. Most people think they are part of Moonclan for the reasons already mentioned above, but we really don't know for sure. They could easily be allied units for each other at the very least. If there is a moonclan tome coming, it will probably give us more clarity on what role Trolls have in moonclan and Destruction as a whole. 

Just now, Future said:

I totally believe that. I just don't see troggoths taking orders from grots. Also this warband isn't coming out for 4 months or longer so that doesn't point to a grot release soon.

they just teased it today, so they probably going to reveal the warband in Spiel and release it somewhere in November by my guess, (which make sense since they already showed off this guy in September which signify they where going to release the warband within the year.)

I don't think so. As a Underworlds player -- I can say last year they did core box (2 warbands) + 2 in October + 2 in February + 2 in April. I know its hard to believe from an AOS stand point but Underworlds is a stand alone game with its own player base.

Releasing them in November would be very overwhelming to the meta that just saw 4 new warbands as well as off cadence. Assuming we see a season 3, means we need releases throughout the year. My money is on February.

5 minutes ago, Future said:

I don't think so. As a Underworlds player -- I can say last year they did core box (2 warbands) + 2 in October + 2 in February + 2 in April. I know its hard to believe from an AOS stand point but Underworlds is a stand alone game with its own player base.

Releasing them in November would be very overwhelming to the meta that just saw 4 new warbands as well as off cadence. Assuming we see a season 3 means releases throughout the year.

43756752_1885056038239884_3119010584704581632_n.jpg.541af95abec3659c5a1992fab5249155.jpg

What did this unfortunate explorer unearth in the Nightvault? Perhaps Spiel in Essen will shed some light…

I mean that clearly the shadow of a troll and it for Nightvault, I don't know what else it going to be. if they are doing a reveal now I doubt they are going to wait 4 month to release it.

sure the troll has a chance of being part of Allegiance Trroggoth but I think the shroom, Moon symbol, Squig, Mushroom and cave monster really scream Moonclan to me.

Archived