AoS 2 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I had built a balanced Big WAAAAGH list to be used as my main AOS army for the next year or two but it got hit hard by the points changes so I think I will be going  back to pure bonesplitterz. 

I was considering a pretty spammy boyz list (296 wounds, 2 drop list) but I don't think it would be fun to play (or play against).  With the point changes to Bonesplitterz the only real impact in the Idol going up 20. 

Has anyone one had any luck with a Big Stabba list?  Like 10+ (because I'm a  Maniak!)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cplhicks said:

I had built a balanced Big WAAAAGH list to be used as my main AOS army for the next year or two but it got hit hard by the points changes so I think I will be going  back to pure bonesplitterz. 

I was considering a pretty spammy boyz list (296 wounds, 2 drop list) but I don't think it would be fun to play (or play against).  With the point changes to Bonesplitterz the only real impact in the Idol going up 20. 

Has anyone one had any luck with a Big Stabba list?  Like 10+ (because I'm a  Maniak!)

I use 8 regularly and find them very effective at that number.  Especially good in Drakkfoot where they just demolish a lot of the best combat units in the game (Meduci, Healthguard, Grimghast, Bonereapers etc etc) as well as being even more effective against those monsters with shrug saves.  I usually run them as 2 units of four but if your going with lots I'd be temped to go for MSU (multiple small units) to help with survivability. 

• Like 1

MSU Big Stabbas has been on my mind as a big block of them is too juicy of a target for my opponent.   I wonder if MSU will reduce their effectiveness because you can't buff one big block.

Would a Teef Ruk be good for MSU?  The ability is wholly within 12" so you could get more then 1 small squad to benefit but it does force you to clump up near the Big Boss (now 10pts cheaper! lol)

1 minute ago, cplhicks said:

MSU Big Stabbas has been on my mind as a big block of them is too juicy of a target for my opponent.   I wonder if MSU will reduce their effectiveness because you can't buff one big block.

Would a Teef Ruk be good for MSU?  The ability is wholly within 12" so you could get more then 1 small squad to benefit but it does force you to clump up near the Big Boss (now 10pts cheaper! lol)

I don't think they miss out much as most of the buffs are wasted on them (don't need bonus to hit and +Save is a waste).

Teef ruk is interesting as it gets rid of the high drops of MSU, but as you say encourages clumping and does mean even less points for support and screening units.

I was playing around on warscroll builder looking at a Kop Ruk, Teff Ruk MSU Big Stabba list

Here is a quick rough draft:

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz

Leaders
Savage Big Boss (100)
Wardokk (80)
Wardokk (80)
Wardokk (80)

Battleline
10 x Savage Orruk Morboys (120)
10 x Savage Orruk Morboys (120)
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Chompas

Units
4 x Savage Big Stabbas (200)

Battalions
Kop Rukk (140)
Teef Rukk (140)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 185

• Like 1

I've ran them in Big Waaagh with some success, they were in a big unit of 8 at the time:

https://plasticcraic.blog/2020/02/27/summer-smash-tournament-review-big-wins-for-the-big-waaagh/

I took that list to another GT shortly afterwards.  I had to drop after Day 1 (problems with my flight home, it was when Covid was first kicking off).  But overnight I was 2-1, having lost to the player who went on to win the event, and beaten the guy who finished 4th.  So it definitely has legs.

That list needs work anyway, but the big unit would hate getting shot at. People who did have ranged output targeted the Heroes, but that was a bit of a trap: this list could function perfectly well with any 2 or 3 of its Heroes dead.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hello everyone.

I am confused with the Brutal Rukk Batallion effect. Maybe there are some Bonesplitter gurus or rule gurus in here that can help me out?

It says: "Units from this battalion that are wholly within 12" of the same battalion's big boss at the start of the charge phase can run and still charge later in the same turn".

I can confused about the part that specifies the word "run". I tried to figure it out, by looking at the core rules, which says the following: When you pick a unit to make a normal move, you can declare that it will run. Make a run roll for the unit by rolling a dice.

For me, that says that the "d6 roll" is what counts as the "run".

So considering above, the Batallion effect, in my eyes, says the following: You can do a normal move in your movement phase. Then at the start of the charge phase, then can make a run and charge. That will say a "d6+charge". As long as they are wholly within 12".

If they did a "run" in the movement phase, none of above is relevant, because if you ran in the movement you can't later charge.

Am I missing something, or reading something wrong? Please can someone help me out!

Best regards,

Fella Bonesplitterz player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lillbengan said:

Hello everyone.

I am confused with the Brutal Rukk Batallion effect. Maybe there are some Bonesplitter gurus or rule gurus in here that can help me out?

It says: "Units from this battalion that are wholly within 12" of the same battalion's big boss at the start of the charge phase can run and still charge later in the same turn".

I can confused about the part that specifies the word "run". I tried to figure it out, by looking at the core rules, which says the following: When you pick a unit to make a normal move, you can declare that it will run. Make a run roll for the unit by rolling a dice.

For me, that says that the "d6 roll" is what counts as the "run".

So considering above, the Batallion effect, in my eyes, says the following: You can do a normal move in your movement phase. Then at the start of the charge phase, then can make a run and charge. That will say a "d6+charge". As long as they are wholly within 12".

If they did a "run" in the movement phase, none of above is relevant, because if you ran in the movement you can't later charge.

Am I missing something, or reading something wrong? Please can someone help me out!

Best regards,

Fella Bonesplitterz player.

You can only make normal moves in the movement phase, meaning you can't run in the charge phase.

This battalion gives run & charge to units wholly within 12" of the big boss during the charge phase. 

What this rule is doing is making it so that the "aura" is being checked in the charge phase. If a unit is wholly within 12" and that unit ran in the movement phase, it would be able to charge. The timing of when a unit gets the "run and charge" buff doesn't matter as long as it has it before it declares the charge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

You can only make normal moves in the movement phase, meaning you can't run in the charge phase.

This isn't actually true. You get a normal move in the movement phase, but there are abilities that let you make normal moves in other phases. An example from the same book: Mighty Destroyers lets you make a normal move in the hero phase, which at your discretion may include a run roll.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NauticalSoup said:

This isn't actually true. You get a normal move in the movement phase, but there are abilities that let you make normal moves in other phases. An example from the same book: Mighty Destroyers lets you make a normal move in the hero phase, which at your discretion may include a run roll.

That is what I was thinking too.
So what is your take on it @NauticalSoup?

9 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

This again! @MKsmash have just been discussing the same topic.  I submitted it for FAQ (twice now) but they didn't reply. 

I'd encourage everone to email AoSFAQ@gwplc.com to raise it to their attention.  It needs clearing up.

I have already written to that email about my qeustion aswell. So hopefully they will clear it up. Although the FAQ just got released anyway.

@MKsmash What did you end up with after your discussing about it?

Edited by Lillbengan

On 7/22/2020 at 1:04 AM, Lanoss said:

@cplhicks Savage Big Boss is now 90 so take an Extra Command Point for your troubles. 
plus perhaps run as Big Waaagh for those Big Stabbas to be hitting on 2s wounding on 2s

He can't run them in Big Waaagh because Morboys doesn't count as battleline in Big Waaagh, only Bonesplitterz.
Just so you are aware @cplhicks you would have to change the morboys to Orruks.

I feel conflicted.  I really  want to make a effective   Big Stabba heavy list.  BIG WAAAGGH makes a ton on of sense as the bonus there really buff them up.  However, I LOVE the Bonesplitterz and really want to make a pure army.   

Some pro's for the Bonesplitterz

The scout move really helps Big Stabba

The monster hunter chart can help a bit but they will already nuke a monster off the table lol

Clan bonuses: I think Drakkfoot is best as it helps turbo charge their lethality (plus they have hilarious fluff)

But is that better then +1 to hit and wound +1 to charge rolls, and the Zog em ablity? (take damage and can move D6")

9 hours ago, Lillbengan said:

That is what I was thinking too.
So what is your take on it @NauticalSoup?

I have already written to that email about my qeustion aswell. So hopefully they will clear it up. Although the FAQ just got released anyway.

@MKsmash What did you end up with after your discussing about it?

There's more than just Mighty destroyers that allows you to move outside of the movement phase, such as one of Khorne's Blood Tithe abilities. I think it's pretty obvious that you must be able to move outside of the movement phase, given that there are multiple abilities allowing you to do so.

Edited by MKsmash
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all! My usual play group and I are pretty casual but recently a guy got the Lumineth box and I can't for the life of me deal with the Light of Eltharion. The most damage I was able to do was with my 30 arrowboyz. I don't know if I was just unlucky or if the model itself is just bonkers, but if I leave it alone it wreaks havoc on my boyz. Is magic the only consistent way to deal damage to it?

7 minutes ago, animusCompassionist said:

Hi all! My usual play group and I are pretty casual but recently a guy got the Lumineth box and I can't for the life of me deal with the Light of Eltharion. The most damage I was able to do was with my 30 arrowboyz. I don't know if I was just unlucky or if the model itself is just bonkers, but if I leave it alone it wreaks havoc on my boyz. Is magic the only consistent way to deal damage to it?

Yes, if you are trying to kill it the best way to go about it by far is mortal wounds. However, in many games you can also ignore it or tarpit it as it's only one model.

Trying out bonegrinz soon. Anyone have any tips?

I'm thinking of running lots of min size shield boarboys to pull people off objectives and two 30s of shield savages to take objectives. 

I'm worried about not having enough CP to skip battleshock as I will be taking a lot charges.

Also, does the bonegrinz CA stack with Savage Big Boss CA? Both give an extra hit on 6s...

3 hours ago, Verminlord said:

Trying out bonegrinz soon. Anyone have any tips?

I'm thinking of running lots of min size shield boarboys to pull people off objectives and two 30s of shield savages to take objectives. 

I'm worried about not having enough CP to skip battleshock as I will be taking a lot charges.

Also, does the bonegrinz CA stack with Savage Big Boss CA? Both give an extra hit on 6s...

I'm thinking about trying something similar and will be getting some games in on TTS as soon as I can. I posted a bit in the OWC thread about taking Ironjawz/Bonesplitterz vs. Big Waaagh but haven't gotten anyone to weigh in yet.

Bonegrinz definitely seems like it could be powerful, and I also anticipate CP being problematic. The two CAs do in fact stack.

Brutal Rukk seems like an obvious choice for this kind of build, but I do wonder a bit whether maniaks might be better than regular boar boys as they are less reliant on charging to deal damage. The extra point of bravery is also fairly relevant. Even if you take 4 casualties on a unit of 5 maniaks you've got a 50/50 shot to keep the last guy alive. With the little distraction units you only need to keep 1 guy alive to get the full effect.