AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

So, I was looking at the warbeats and I just don't understand why Get'Em Beat requires to roll a 4+ to get a 3D6 charge. I mean this is potentially the only command ability that you use a command point for, that requires you to roll a 4+ to even work. I thought this kind of unpredictable BS was gone from the IJ. Can you imagine using a CP to roll and fail it? I mean the ability isn't even THAT powerful. Or I'm missing something here. To me, just the fact that this is another unpredictable roll thing means that I will always choose Killa Beat over it. 

What about you guys?

I just noticed that all the beats require you to roll. It's just worded differently. I apologize for the post :)

Edited by Jabbuk
Misread rules
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

So, I was looking at the warbeats and I just don't understand why Get'Em Beat requires to roll a 4+ to get a 3D6 charge. I mean this is potentially the only command ability that you use a command point for, that requires you to roll a 4+ to even work. I thought this kind of unpredictable BS was gone from the IJ. Can you imagine using a CP to roll and fail it? I mean the ability isn't even THAT powerful. Or I'm missing something here. To me, just the fact that this is another unpredictable roll thing means that I will always choose Killa Beat over it. 

What about you guys?

As far as I am aware you're confusing 3 different things.

1. Violent Fury. An ability which the Warchanter can use to give a single unit +1 damage.
  2. Rabble-Rouser the CA for Da Choppas which can be used to make Violent Fury effect 3 units not just 1.
  3. Warbeats. An extra "Prayer" that warchanters know which is separate from the above two.

Best I can tell none of the Warbeats require a CA to use or interact with any CA in anyway.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

9 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

What about you guys?

I don’t have the book just yet so maybe someone who does could answer better but do prayers cost a CP? Is it like the normal ability is +1 dmg and then I get to choose a prayer to try and get off just with the dice roll or is a prayer a CP use and then try to roll because that doesn’t seem as worth. Spend a CP then try to get a 4+ then hope to make the charge I’d say it’s a long charge and I need to get a unit across the board. 

1 minute ago, Malakree said:

As far as I am aware you're confusing 3 different things.

1. Violent Fury. An ability which the Warchanter can use to give a single unit +1 damage.
  2. Rabble-Rouser the CA for Da Choppas which can be used to make Violent Fury effect 3 units not just 1.
  3. Warbeats. An extra "Prayer" that warchanters know which is separate from the above two.

Best I can tell none of the Warbeats require a CA to use or interact with any CA in anyway.

Totally. I don't know what I was smoking when I read that. They indeed, don't require a CP and they are just extra buffs we didn't have before.

• Haha 1

Just now, Jabbuk said:

Totally. I don't know what I was smoking when I read that. They indeed, don't require a CP and they are just extra buffs we didn't have before.

Well technically we did have it. It was from Gordrakk, it could effect our entire army and it was glorious... 😭

• Sad 1

I got a question about the Weirdnob Green Puke + Teleport combo you guys were talking about before. 

The Brutal Power ability reads like this: If this model is wholly within 18" of a friendly Ironjawz unit with 10 or more models at the end of its hero phase, it can attempt to cast the Green Puke spell in addition to any other spells it can cast, and even if a Wizard has already attempted to cast the Green Puke spell in that hero phase.

Doesn't that imply that you can't puke on the unit and teleport it after? Because the ability triggers at the end of the Hero Phase and is cast at the end of all other spells. So you would have casted the teleport spell and couldn't Puke on your own Ardboys before the teleport. Is this how you guys interpret this rule?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

I got a question about the Weirdnob Green Puke + Teleport combo you guys were talking about before. 

The Brutal Power ability reads like this: If this model is wholly within 18" of a friendly Ironjawz unit with 10 or more models at the end of its hero phase, it can attempt to cast the Green Puke spell in addition to any other spells it can cast, and even if a Wizard has already attempted to cast the Green Puke spell in that hero phase.

Doesn't that imply that you can't puke on the unit and teleport it after? Because the ability triggers at the end of the Hero Phase and is cast at the end of all other spells. So you would have casted the teleport spell and couldn't Puke on your own Ardboys before the teleport. Is this how you guys interpret this 

It only applies to the free green puke. Nothing is stopping you from casting it as your first spell and thus circumventing the "end of hero phase" part.

1 minute ago, ShaneHobbes said:

It only applies to the free green puke. Nothing is stopping you from casting it as your first spell and thus circumventing the "end of hero phase" part.

Yes I agree. In that case though, you won't be able to cast Hand of Gork spell, since you can only cast 1 spell? Or did that combo imply that we can cast 2 spells with an artefact maybe?

1 minute ago, ShaneHobbes said:

You would need a second Weirdknob from the looks of it although I thought there was an artifact or CT that let's a weirdnob cast two spells not counting the free GP.

Yes there is one. Makes sense then. Thanks for the input.

On 10/2/2019 at 4:44 PM, Boggler said:

Here is the list I am going to build towards.

MBMK - 460

Gruntas x6 - 320

Gruntas x3 - 160

Gruntas x3 - 160

Gorefist - 130

Warchanter - 110

Weirdnob Shaman - 110

Ardboyz x20 - 360

Brutes x5 - 140

Extra CP - 50 = 2k exact

I can easily switch the Shaman for another Warchanter.

6 drops makes me sad.

I guess it could be 4 drops if I switched the Gorefist to an Ironfist. I'd lose the CP, and maybe gain a Triumph? 1980pts

• Like 1

2 hours ago, svnvaldez said:

Have we had reliable confirmation on the max unit size of Ardboyz? 20? 30?

pretty sure someone confirmed it's 20 earlier.

So about the drop:

3 drop or below: You need 2 battallion including Ardfist or Weirdfist, or one of those 2 with only 3 heros. It will ensure you go first almost every game, but at the expense on leaving you short on board coverage. 

4 drop: Weirdfist and Ardfist can acheive 4 drop with 4 heros, or Ironfist with 3 heros. You might have to coin flip with some army for turn choice but should get choice the majority of time.

5-6 drop: Probably the average. You'll likely end up split turn choice between 35 and 65% of the time, depending on meta. However you have enough flexibility on unit choice and number of unit you want to play (up to 4 heros and 6 units). Classic Ironfist fall into that categorie.

7+ drop: At this point your srategy should be flexible  going first or second. You'll probably wants to have double turn protection (either lots of chaff and/or geminid)

I don't think we can really go bellow 3 heros (Maw-Krusha and 2 warchanter) and most list will likely want 4. Weirdfist is so bad it's depressing, so the best option to stay low drop is probably Ardfist.  You can go up to 6 troops and 4 heros and stay at 5 drop . Downside is your army is just mass of aAdboys :/

• Like 2

It just occured to me that the new strength from victory might be our answer to chaff screens.

Enemy centerpiece behind  chaff of 30 x1 wound models? No problem. Charge your megaboss head first, kill 10-15 of them and then comfortably loose the double turn, no problem. You have just stocked 10-15 extra wounds and 10-15 extra ttacks to  face the enemy charge. Even better even if they get you down to 1 wound the extra 15 attacks dont go away with a diminishing profile.

Am I getting this wrong or is this new ability an awesome screen deterent for IJ?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Planar said:

It just occured to me that the new strength from victory might be our answer to chaff screens.

Enemy centerpiece behind  chaff of 30 x1 wound models? No problem. Charge your megaboss head first, kill 10-15 of them and then comfortably loose the double turn, no problem. You have just stocked 10-15 extra wounds and 10-15 extra ttacks to  face the enemy charge. Even better even if they get you down to 1 wound the extra 15 attacks dont go away with a diminishing profile.

Am I getting this wrong or is this new ability an awesome screen deterent for IJ?

You dont get a wound/attack per kill. You get A wound/attack for killing any amount of models by the end if the combat phase. In a 5 round game most our MB can get is +10, one from each players combat phase during a round.

15 minutes ago, ShaneHobbes said:

You dont get a wound/attack per kill. You get A wound/attack for killing any amount of models by the end if the combat phase. In a 5 round game most our MB can get is +10, one from each players combat phase during a round.

Haha got this totally wrong . 🤣

Just re-read the ability and you are right

Thanks for clarifying!

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Yes. In every interpretation any of the rules smashing and bashing overides LoD.

Wow that's amazing! Seems like what the ironjaws have to do to defeat slaanesh is to find a good position that wouldn't be affected by the LoD and charge everyone in and kill  and keep  smashin and bashin everything stands in their way:P

32 minutes ago, frostfire said:

Wow that's amazing! Seems like what the ironjaws have to do to defeat slaanesh is to find a good position that wouldn't be affected by the LoD and charge everyone in and kill  and keep  smashin and bashin everything stands in their way:P

It's why I was pretty sure my Gordrakktoofs list beat them hard. I had the engagement range, damage and way to get round their LoD to blow them out of the water in a single turn.

• Like 1