AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, tolstedt said:

Did you find the 20 was enough to hold for two combat phases?  Are you letting the opponent take first turn or are you taking first turn?  
I've been putting 30 in my list and am unsure if it is needed or if 20 is enough.

Also, super thrilled someone else loves brutish cunning as much as I do.  I think it should be an innate ability on the megaboss scrolls.

Not sure, ideally you want priority turns 1/2 but we were using 20 at the doubles and it seemed to do ok. Granted we didn't face anything like a FEC dragon with ridiculous output, it really depends on what next weeks FAQ brings. Ideally you're buffing them up as hard as you can before you throw them into the grinder.

It's more the list doesn't quite fit 30 Ardboys without sacing something. I guess if you drop a weirdnob and the Warchanter then just go full HAM.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (420)
- Boss Gore-hacka and Scrap-tooth
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

Battleline
30 x Orruk Ardboys (420)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)
Bloodtoofs (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 146

You need Brass Iron Balls to run something like this though :D you mess it up and you're done. Thankfully the +2 bravery and +1 run/charge mitigate it a small amount.

Honestly most of the Traits are pretty solid now.

• My partner was running Live To Fight and holy Jesus did it make that cabbage terrifying on the charge, burn a CP for RR1's from the new command abilities and it just goes bonkers.
  • Brutish Cunning is swingy but it literally won us one of our games when it triggered.
  • Hulking Musclebound Brute is something I'd like to try with the Tuskhelm (Gyran Artefact). It gives you solid Odds to kill a 6 wound character/unit on the charge. 
    Spoiler

graph.php?q=b:0.5:9:1:0;b:0.83:1:1d3:0&fWith Tuskhelm
    graph.php?q=b:0.5:8:1:0;b:0.83:1:1d3:0&f Without Tuskhelm

• Prophet of the Waaagh! is obviously your traditional Waaagh! bomb option. I don't think I need to say more.
  • Ironclad is...interesting now. It's a free Mystic Shield or Command Point ability which with ethereal amulet gives you the mythical 3+ RR1's unrendable.
  • Bestial Charisma, honestly this is the only one I would never take. It's rarely going to be relevant requires your general be specifically in range of all 1-3 units AND that you roll get the 3/4 or 5/6 you need. It's like a terrible Aetherquartz Broach.

I like the Live to Fight trait, it is very important for the MK to wreck whatever it charges which also rolls into smashin and bashin, we want the MK to lead a charge, utterly destroy something and then instantly attack with something else, that is the ideal scenario and I feel live to fight adds the most damage which will allow this to happen.

Yes d3 mortals on the charge can also be nice, and help trigger rampage, but that will still be rare and the average damage is lower than live to fight. It does help though if your intend is to not fight first with the MK and deal damage before the combat phase. 

Hysh seems so important for the brooch now I can hardly see me picking anything else, other than for fun. Mirrored curiass will be a good idea at any time for the MK, but a super offensive build could also be fun, especially in an ironsunz battalion, giving the boss choppa metal rippas klaw could be good, as he starts with d3 additional attacks, so will have 5-7 attacks with that weapon. 

2 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

I like the Live to Fight trait, it is very important for the MK to wreck whatever it charges which also rolls into smashin and bashin, we want the MK to lead a charge, utterly destroy something and then instantly attack with something else, that is the ideal scenario and I feel live to fight adds the most damage which will allow this to happen.

Yes d3 mortals on the charge can also be nice, and help trigger rampage, but that will still be rare and the average damage is lower than live to fight. It does help though if your intend is to not fight first with the MK and deal damage before the combat phase. 

Hysh seems so important for the brooch now I can hardly see me picking anything else, other than for fun. Mirrored curiass will be a good idea at any time for the MK, but a super offensive build could also be fun, especially in an ironsunz battalion, giving the boss choppa metal rippas klaw could be good, as he starts with d3 additional attacks, so will have 5-7 attacks with that weapon. 

You can get the best if both worlds. Give him the D3 damage trait and just cast bash em ladz. 

I havent yet desided if a second weirdnob with bash em lads is the way to go or if the warboss on piggy back with the banner is.. (greenskins didnt have their points removed and are still listed as allies for IJ!) 

Weirdnob could be teleported by the (mandatory) telenob to be placed were those rerolls would matter the most. It would most likely only buff two units due to the wholly within restriction. Also failing the teleport or the bash makes it a bit risky. bash em lads buffs everything no matter what phase one fights in which is really good now thou.

Bannerboss has a 16" range with no wholy within restriction but only rerolls wounds rolls of 1.. He is also a great source for waagh with the 12" bubble. 9" piggyback riding makes him easier to get were one wants him to go too.  

I am working on an ardfist and am leaning more toward the bannerboss, maybe both since a second caster would be useful with casting cogs and teleporting in the same turn. that second weirdnob could also be made general with the prophet of the waagh trait for waagh redundancy. Also one could waagh and cast the bash em spell and then teleport him to a good location for both buffs.

Some of you already tried some Meeting engagement ? 

I'm planning to use this list, what are your opinions ? 

For the last 40 pts i'm between keeping it for thriumph or grabbing an endless spell... 

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Spearhead
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
- Spell: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)

Main Body
- General
- Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Trait: Ironclad 
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)

Rearguard
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Total: 960 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 75

May I ask which endless spells are you using? I created an 1500 points army as a starter (megaboss on foot, warchanter, weirdnob, 3x brutes, 1x ardboyz, 2x gore gruntas, ironfist battalion), and it's only 1430... I don't see any army options for 70 pts, so maybe an endless spell would be OK - but which one?

The maw-krusha and some extra ardboyz will be the next step for the 2000 pts army.

1 hour ago, Roodie said:

May I ask which endless spells are you using? I created an 1500 points army as a starter (megaboss on foot, warchanter, weirdnob, 3x brutes, 1x ardboyz, 2x gore gruntas, ironfist battalion), and it's only 1430... I don't see any army options for 70 pts, so maybe an endless spell would be OK - but which one?

The maw-krusha and some extra ardboyz will be the next step for the 2000 pts army.

I don't use endless spells in IJ outside of cogs cheese. Use 50 points to buy a cp and save 20 to get a triumph.

On 7/1/2019 at 11:29 AM, Malakree said:

Honestly most of the Traits are pretty solid now.

• My partner was running Live To Fight and holy Jesus did it make that cabbage terrifying on the charge, burn a CP for RR1's from the new command abilities and it just goes bonkers.

Live to Fight is still just on Megaboss right? I was wondering if it's really worth it over Hulking brutes muscle. In an Ironsunz on Dakbad with 2 extra attack, it will net you around 2 extra damage. Of wourse if you start stacking waaaagh it's get better and better. With +4 attack, it goes up to close to 5 extra damage. However considering that Hulking muscle brutes is mortal, I think I would prefer it in most situation.

An IJ player has managed to place second at the Essex GT, with the following list:

Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders

- General

- Choppa and Rip-tooth fist

- Trait: Ironclad

- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet

- Artefact: The Ragged Cloak

- Spell: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork

Orruk Warchanter (80)

- Artefact: The Boss Skewer

Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline

20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)

- 20x Pair of Choppas or Smashas

20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)

- 20x Big Choppas

- Pig-iron Choppas

- Pig-iron Choppas

5 x Orruk Brutes (170)

- Pair of Brute Choppas

Battalions

Ironsunz (80)

Ironfist (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 3

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 157

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It is curious how he says he only used Waaagh one or two times, so he didn't depend at all of the Brooch, allowing him to use some cool artifact(s), such the Amulet (plus the Ironclad he is almost unkillable without MW). It is something, imho, good. Hysh only has the Brooch, and we are forgiving some nice artifacts.

Be interested to know what his matchups were. It looks like his round 4 was an ironjawz mirror and the meta itself seems a little light on the heavy MW output. That said ironjawz seem like a pretty solid counter to slaanesh, because of smashing and bashing, which themselves look to be a strong meta breaker.

So as long as slaanesh remains dominant then it should leave Ironjawz well placed. Against skaven/FEC/tripple bloodthirster khorne I can see it tanking pretty hard.

It's all about dodging those terrible matchups 😂

Been thinking for this list:

Megaboss on mawkrusha with fist and choppa, choppa will be Metalrippa's Klaw for Rend -3. He will have prophet of gork for that sweet 30% chance of getting a 6. 420pts

Weirdnob shaman with the 6+ ignores wounds and MW relic. 120pts. (he has the teleport spell.)

Megaboss with +1 damage relic on the choppa. 140pts

Allies: 2 fungoid cave shamans 180pts

Battleline:

3x3 units of goregruntas. 420pts.

10 ardboyz. 140pts

20 ardboyz. 280pts

Bloodtoofs+Ironfist battallion. 240pts

Extra command point. 50pts.

1990pts and 3CP at game start, plus a potential extra 2 per round if dice help me.

Thoughts?

Also. Can you use the ironfist ability after the teleport spell?

2 hours ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

Thoughts?

Also. Can you use the ironfist ability after the teleport spell?

It really depends on what you expect to face. The loadout on your heroes sounds very squishy to me, so it probably wont be a great time against shooty lists.

Neither the Ironfist ability or spells refer to the start/end of the hero phase, just that both happen in the hero phase, so the turn of events is up to you.

Hey

I played a one day event.
Draw vs Seraphon - Thunderquake starhost
Had a hard time to get past all his saves.

Major win vs Legion of Night with Nagash

Major loss vs Slaanesh
The two keepers ate my army

Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (420)
- General
- Command Trait : Ironclad
- Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Artefact : Ethereal Amulet
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
- Artefact : Wraithbow
- Spell : Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact : The Boss Skewer
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
UNITS
30 x Orruk Ardboys (420)
- 20 x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
- 10 x Big Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
- 10 x Big Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1 x Gore Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1 x Gore Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
BATTALIONS
Bloodtoofs (80)
Ironfist (160)
TOTAL: 1990/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2 WOUNDS: 155

Was my first 3 games with Ironjaws. Really fun to play. I did some mistakes vs slaanesh so room for improvment there.
The list was really good and fun.

Edited by Uffe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kasper said:

It really depends on what you expect to face. The loadout on your heroes sounds very squishy to me, so it probably wont be a great time against shooty lists.

Neither the Ironfist ability or spells refer to the start/end of the hero phase, just that both happen in the hero phase, so the turn of events is up to you.

So, what relics would you recommend? I'm kinda banking on smashing their lines from the get go, though I guess it's not 100% guaranteed.

Edited by KillagoreFaceslasha

13 hours ago, Luzgurbel said:

It is curious how he says he only used Waaagh one or two times, so he didn't depend at all of the Brooch, allowing him to use some cool artifact(s), such the Amulet (plus the Ironclad he is almost unkillable without MW). It is something, imho, good. Hysh only has the Brooch, and we are forgiving some nice artifacts.

The new teleport mechanic and ability to attack in hero phase remove a lot of depandencies on Whaaag. It allow you to reach squishy units, or clear a pinned hard hitter (Brutes/Maw Krusha) in the hero phase to attack again. 

Waaagh is still important, but our toolkit is much better now. That said i think you still need a really good reason to forgo the brooch with all the use we have for CP. Etheral amulet is one of the item you can consider in a High rend meta. Also Ignax scale if you expected lots of skaven or FEC (i didn't analyze Slaneesh yet)

Thoughts on the viability of this?

Orruk Warboss with waaagh Banner

Weirdnob Shaman (General)

- Prophet Of Da Waaaagh

- Lens Of Refraction

Weirdnob Shaman

- Aetherquartz Brooch

Warchanter

Warchanter

30 Ardboys

20 Ardboys

20 Ardboys 

20 Ardboys 

ironfist

Balewind Vortex

Chanters buff 30man blob
So they get 2+ to hit
Warboss pops CA for +1 attack
Shaman casts Hand
Shaman casts Balewind + Msytic shield

30 Ardboys drop 9” away from enemy
Move d6” in hero phase
Charge with a +3
30 dudes getting 4attacks each hitting on 2s, wounding on 3s
And a 4+ rerolling 1s save 

Then there’s 60more where that came from

26 minutes ago, Lanoss said:

Thoughts on the viability of this?

Orruk Warboss with waaagh Banner

Weirdnob Shaman (General)

- Prophet Of Da Waaaagh

- Lens Of Refraction

Weirdnob Shaman

- Aetherquartz Brooch

Warchanter

Warchanter

30 Ardboys

20 Ardboys

20 Ardboys 

20 Ardboys 

ironfist

Balewind Vortex

Chanters buff 30man blob
So they get 2+ to hit
Warboss pops CA for +1 attack
Shaman casts Hand
Shaman casts Balewind + Msytic shield

30 Ardboys drop 9” away from enemy
Move d6” in hero phase
Charge with a +3
30 dudes getting 4attacks each hitting on 2s, wounding on 3s
And a 4+ rerolling 1s save 

Then there’s 60more where that came from

Need a Brute or gore grunta boss for the d6" i believe

• Like 1

What's up guys,

I'd like to validate a 1000 pts list with you all and get your feedback if you can. We have a casual league at work and I just started started playing with a 500pts list of IJ recently. I'm looking to upgrade to 1000 pts and here's the list I am thinking of.

I am hesitating for the artefact to give to my Megaboss. I want to give some survivability to my brutes as I know they have low bravery. Was thinking of this item vs MetalKrippa's? Anyway, would like your opinion on this. 

I also use balewind vortex in the list to get to 1000pts flush and enhance the casting of my shaman. Looking forward to your feedback :) 

Thanks in advance for the help.

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Prophet of the Waaagh! 
- Artefact: The Golden Toof 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Spell: Great Big Hand of Gork

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
- 6x Pair of Choppas or Smashas
- 2x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
- 2x Big Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas

Endless Spells / Terrain
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 84

Edited by Jabbuk

1 hour ago, Jabbuk said:

What's up guys,

I'd like to validate a 1000 pts list with you all and get your feedback if you can. We have a casual league at work and I just started started playing with a 500pts list of IJ recently. I'm looking to upgrade to 1000 pts and here's the list I am thinking of.

I am hesitating for the artefact to give to my Megaboss. I want to give some survivability to my brutes as I know they have low bravery. Was thinking of this item vs MetalKrippa's? Anyway, would like your opinion on this. 

I also use balewind vortex in the list to get to 1000pts flush and enhance the casting of my shaman. Looking forward to your feedback :) 

Thanks in advance for the help.

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Prophet of the Waaagh! 
- Artefact: The Golden Toof 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Spell: Great Big Hand of Gork

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
- 6x Pair of Choppas or Smashas
- 2x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
- 2x Big Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas

Endless Spells / Terrain
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 84

I also had a question regarding the weapon profile of the 'arboyz leader. The guy carries a Big Choppa AND a Smasha. What would his attack profile be? It says on the Warscroll to add 1 to all of their hit rolls. Do I roll for both a Big Choppa AND a Smasha and add 1 to his hit rolls for both weapons? Or I just roll for the Big Choppa and add 1 to his hit roll? 

If you could clarify this as well, that would be amazing. 

Thanks! 

15 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

I also had a question regarding the weapon profile of the 'arboyz leader. The guy carries a Big Choppa AND a Smasha. What would his attack profile be? It says on the Warscroll to add 1 to all of their hit rolls. Do I roll for both a Big Choppa AND a Smasha and add 1 to his hit rolls for both weapons? Or I just roll for the Big Choppa and add 1 to his hit roll? 

If you could clarify this as well, that would be amazing. 

Thanks! 

If your Boss is kitted out with dual wielding weapons, you would roll for Choppa and Smasha with a +1 to hit

Choppa or smasha is when your ardboy is equip with a shield so he loses one extra attack for the shield effect