AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

So I played my first 3 games with the new book and with the following list to prepare for a tournament

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Warclan: Ironsunz

Leaders
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (540)
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Trait: Right Fist of Dakkbad
- Artefact: Sunzblessed Armour
- Mount Trait: Mean 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat

Battleline
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 107

here is a short overview of the games

Game 1 - Shootcast - Minor Victory

It was tricky, my opponent screened his raptors really good and I decided to go with my MK and the big G into his lines to tear them appart.... it was a mistake, MK  died next turn and the big G was able to remove his block of Evos and then also died. I made some mistakes with the placement of the Warchanter and also some other smaller things. In the third battleround my opponent made the mistake to teleport his Raptors in range of my 6GGs... what can I say... the GGs vaporized them and so he had not much left to fight against my Gruntas. I did a minor victory but it was close.

Game 2 - Nighthaunt - Major Victory

My opponent decided to alphastrike me with everything he got, unfortunately he forgot my Ironsunz ability -1 hit in the first battleround and also was very unlucky with his charge rolls, so he only got one unit of Bladegheist Revenants into my Ardboyz. When my turn came, I only lost some Ardboyz so I decided to counter his alphastrike, so I fully buffed my units with everything I got and charged in. After that he lost both units of Bladegheist Revenants and half of his Grimghast Reapers and Raikenor... After the next turn in full battle mode with buffed up IJs, he gave up.

Game 3 - Khorne - Major Victory

He played the tripple Bloodthirster list, so I was not quite sure what to do. We played the Blood and Glory battleplan. When we set up our armies, I put both units of Ardboys at the objectives and the rest in the back middle of my deployment zone.  I gave him the first turn and he started to moving at my middle line (MK, big G, GGs and the Warchanter). I did nothing in my turn and recognised that he had only put his bloodreavers at the objectives, so I did the same thing in the next battleround, I let him come closer and just moved my MK and the big G a little bit to the sides. In the third battleround, I started first, so I popped the MD on both of them and moved them across the map to the objectives, charged the bloodreavers, killed them and won the game.

Conclusion

In my oppinion this battletome is really cool, the Ironsunz warclan is just amazing, I always gave my opponent the first turn, bacause with the -1 to hit it took out a lot of threat, especially against shooty armies and alpha strike. That army is really funny to play and the threat range is just crazy, but I think the MK is not the best choice here. I mean they can do a ****load of damage, but two of them kinda feels like that I cannot use the full potential. Also the Damage output from 6 GGs is much higher then from the MK and the threat range is nearly the same.

One thing to point out here, the Mighty Destroyer CA is the engine of that battletome... I mean with it you GGs can move 18" and the big G with the mount trait 28" which is just crazy and I am not even talking about that you can fight in your hero phase.

The Ironsunz CA is also very cool and is also something your enemy has to keep in mind, it has a high potential but is very situation-dependent. 

In my next game I will try the following list the see the difference:

- Warclan: Ironsunz
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
- General
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110)

- Artefact: Sash of the Ten Paradises
- Warbeat: Killa Beat

Battleline
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Jagged Gore-hackas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- 1x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- 1x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 128

I will loose the Command Trait and the artefact, but 3 CPs are more than enough (especially with the Ironfist battallion).  I also think that the fast un mount trait is better then the mean un trait I played in the last games because of the range... Also the second Warchanter is just gold here, in the other list it felt like that one is just not enough. With this list I have still a really good thread range, more potential Damage output with the Gruntas and a second Chanter for buffing.  We will see if this is the army I will pick for the tournament.

Edited by Hot Peanut
  • Like 5

@Hot Peanut nice report !

I played 2 games from now with the new BT, the thing I notice the first was the build on your MK... first game I played a Ironsunz list, second was a ME with a Brutish Cunning / Aetherquartz brooch Maw Krusha, so the MK was really deadly but really weak, especialy against a lot of weak attacks and MWs...

The next game I will try a MK w/ Ignax Scales + Ironclad + Mean 'un, which mean 50% less vulnerable vs MWs and almost unkillable vs no rends units (with a MS) and still a tons of damages with Mean'un.

Just one thing about your list, especially the second one, if you play 2 units of GGs w/ jagged gore hacka, I cant see the benefit of Big G and his CA because you will be on 2+/2+ on your GGs already.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Arkahn said:

ust one thing about your list, especially the second one, if you play 2 units of GGs w/ jagged gore hacka, I cant see the benefit of Big G and his CA because you will be on 2+/2+ on your GGs already.

You are right, I thought about that, but the big G is an amazing hero slayer and I get the buff at least on the hooves and that means they have plus 4 damage in average when they charge. In normal combat they got the full buff, which is great again. 

In my opinion in a single M-K list, especially below 2k lists, it's pretty important to invest into survivability. I've chosen to run Ignax + Ironclad for this reason. The M-K is such a wonderful mobile beatstick you're better off having it last longer than to maximize its killyness (since let's face it, it already is very killy and you can further boost that with Mean'un and Violent Fury if needed). And of course, the longer it survives the stronger it gets due to Strength from Victory.

Having made it tanky also means opponents either need to put in serious resources to kill it or try to ignore it (and both options are fine for us). With our many options to kill stuff before charge phase (or even movement phase) means it cannot be tied down with small insignificant units.

Of course this means running a standard Ironjawz list without warclans, but that's not such a big loss (or you can choose to run Ironsunz without making it your general, or Da Choppas and miss Ironclad.

• Like 2

So after some time only playing with my gitz i was really excited for the warclans book.

Had my first game yesterday, against a two KoS list with a seeker calvacade, so super fast and very tricky to go for. My list:

- Warclan: Ironjawz

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (150)
- General
- Trait: Brutish Cunning
- Artefact: Destroyer
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)
- Artefact: Great Green Visions
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 126

Game was a blast. Played The Battle for the Pass.

1. Had more Drops then Slaanesh, had first turn.

2. Get a toe on both mid objectives to get the 5 points, had a bright screen of all my ardboys so he had to rush into them if he wants to get stuck in. Stuffed out the space behind them with Gore-Gruntas, Brutes and Megaboss so he can't fly over them (one of the KoS had a Thermalridercloak).

3. His force was f a s t. He went all-in and smashed into one of my ardboy lines with 15 seekers, tagging the second ardboy unit (6" pile-in, oof). His Flying KoS went on my ardboys as well. He obliterated 15 ardboys, one side was open, the second side - where the punchy keeper with the artfeact for more claw attacks waits - had 5 ardboys remaining for screen. 

4. He gets the double turn. I was salty, had all the new toys and thought "that's it", no testing, no chance. He gets to my Gore-Gruntas, and gets the rest of my ardboys, just two Gore-Grunta remain, my attacks (after attacking always last) got some seekers and some hitpoints from the seeker, nothing noteworthy. He scores twice the 5 points.

5. My second turn. Remainings: A unit of Brutes, the Megaboss, Gordrakk, 2 Warchanters, Weirdnob and two Gruntas. Spoiler: Booooooooooooy. I wiped nearly his whole army! Megaboss used Mighty Destroyers for free (Brutish Cunning), gets rid of Screen for the punchy KoS (he thought to let me stuck in combat, so i cant retreat and fight, but use all my 1" attacks in the combat phase so he can strike back with his 2" Keeper).  Ironfist Boss does the same ontwo pigs, getting some wounds on the flying KoS. Used my command points for other Mighty Destroyer movements to position Gordrakk. Brutes Charge 14 seekers, in such a way i can't be locused, megaboss pops his mighty anime weapon of utter destruction and charges the Epitomy, Gordrakk gets to the punchy KoS. Waaagh! 5 Brutes destroy all seekers, smash! Gordrakk (only Gordrakk, Big Teef just looked at it) destroyed the KoS, bash! Megaboss wrecks the Epitomy, smash! It was utter carnage. 
    At the end turn 2 both armies were utterly decimated, his last two heroes in range of Megaboss, Brutes and Gordrakk.

6. Spoiler: I lost the game due to this. I lost the priority roll with a 5 against a 6. He went on defense , went far back and summoned only small hereos and demonettes  with ~50 depravity. Killed my Brutes with some good 6's on the KoS claws, my only remains were some single but mighty  hereos. The objective game was over, i could not hold all of it and called it. Had i won priority, i almost certainly would've crushed his hereos and stopped 50+ depravity of being spent.

My general takes on new Ironjawz:

• Ironjawz dish out crazy amounts of damage, i allways rolled +2/+3 with -1 and 2 damage at least, Gordrakk and the Destroyer-Boss are just crazy damage machines. If we get into combat and if we are allowed to fight we dish out huge amount of damage.
  • Vanilla ironjawz are just as good as other warclans. Especially brutish cunning is amazing. You just allways use Mighty Destroyers, there is no way you won't make use of it and it's and incredible asset to have. I find it hard to justify the taxes you have to bring for the clans to really make great use of it, especially when the vanilla ironjawz command traits and artifacts are superb. 
  • But i absolutly enjoy tinkering with all those options, there is nothing on the ironjawz side which is not usable or bad. Bloodtoofs is a bit sad for the realmgate part, but Quickduff is amazing.
  • Ironjawz should easily be S Tier, i just can't imagine you stand against Ironjawz when your army can't take control on "who fights first/last". Due to the raw damage output Smashin' and Bashin' is crazy. 

There are still several lists i want to try with Ironjawz, but the real thing for me is Big Waaagh! Really excited to get some Bonesplitterz into the mix and start tinkering with them. Big Waaagh! just look like a whole lot of fun. But i'm quite certain pure Ironjawz are the more competetive option due to Mighty Destroyers and especially Smashin and Bashin.

Edited by DerZauberer
  • Like 2

Has there been clarification on Mad As Hell? It appears to be valid, both in terms of background and rules, to apply the rule as long as there is even a single enemy unit far away. 

For reference:

"At the end of any phase, if any wounds or mortal wounds have been inflicted in that phase on an IRONJAWZ unit that is more than 9" from any enemy units, that IRONJAWZ unit can move D6"."

Is my unit more than 9" away from -any- enemy units? Yes? I'm moving! 

A simple swap of "all" for "any" totally cleans this up, but it does indeed say "any."

1 hour ago, Siepa said:

Hi all, I want to play in my local small (1250 points) tournament. I already bought start collecting. What should I buy next?

Buy another start collecting box! 😃 

... and a maw krusha. and then skip a warchanter and you are right at 1250.

Most 2000p competetive lists at least consists of:
1-2 MBMK (MBMK+Gordrakk)
1-2 Warchanters
0-1 Weirdnob shamans
0 megaboss on foot (who?)
3-6 pigs
10-20 ardboys
0-10 brutes

= 2 start collecting boxes and a MBMK are essential when growing to 2000p 

Edited by Skumbaagh
clarification

1 hour ago, Siepa said:

Hi all, I want to play in my local small (1250 points) tournament. I already bought start collecting. What should I buy next?

At least 1 more start collecting, possibly 2.

In my opinion the mawkrusha is the last thing you add to your army. Playing without it lets you get a feel for all the different units while also giving a solid variety of each unit to play with.

Also the mawkrusha is your centre piece, you want to spend time and care with it, not be rushing for a tournament.

Leaders
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (360)
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Pig-iron Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Total: 900 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 82

That's 2 start collecting. A third would give you 30 ardboys and 9 gruntas. Or you could drop the second warchanter add 10 brutes and a megaboss on foot. This would give you a solid basis of each IJ unit type. The megaboss model, who is an iconic model as the entire army is based off it, and 2 warchanters.

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (150)
- General
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (360)
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Brutes (280)
- Pair of Brute Choppas

Total: 1220 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 113

From here you can go in any direction you want to expand your force while also being able to get a feel for which units you like/dislike.

Hi,

in my area AoS is most often played with 1000 points. To have a good start, might the following list be any good?

Leaders
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa

Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Pig-iron Choppas
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 66

It´s rather easy to build out of the start collecting with some additional purchases and I think it looks good on the table.

So, what´s your opinion on that list? Is there a better start? Maybe just 2 start collecting boxes? Though I´d miss the centerpiece of the army then...

Well, because I´ve got some 10 Boingrot Bounders lying around, the following might also be a good start:

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (150)
- General
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

Units
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

Total: 960 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 83

Thanks in advance

7 hours ago, DerZauberer said:

Had my first game yesterday, against a two KoS list with a seeker calvacade, so super fast and very tricky to go for. My list:

Super interesting report. I see a couple of hole in your list, and given the closed game you played I think those change would likely have tipped the scale:

1. Your list is heavy on character (1060 pts). This reduce your board coverage and number of wound. I would strongly advise to reduce your hero ratio (either downgrade Godrack to regular MK, drop Megaboss for 5 extra brutes and/or drop Weirnob). 4 Heros reduce your drop to 5, raison your odd of choosing who go first.

2. I think your list is the perfect prototype to take Ironsunz. Brutish cunning is not a bad ability, but is not on par with getting a army-wide -1 to hit in first round. An army like slaneesh get really cripple by negative hit. At the end of the day, Brutish cunning is a free CP, and there is ton of other source to get CP. But ironsunz is the only way to get a -1 to hit :) 

• Thanks 1