- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
5 x Paladin Retributors (220)
- 2x Starsoul Mace
5 x Paladin Decimators (200)
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins(80)
- 1x Stormsurge Trident

Battalions
Hammerstrike Force (120)

Total: 1000/2000

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually,  another question.

Has anyone had a go with a bunch of Dracoliths? I was all set to go Sylvaneth until I saw the Draco models. They're kinda derpy but almost my favorite going. So I have dreams of swamping people with mini dragons.

Initial thoughts was something like 4 Fulminators and maybe 2 Tempestors for a generic list or 4 Fulminators and 2 Concussors to back up a Vanguard Justicar battalion?

2 hours ago, Ruben said:

It depends, really. If you have liberators kitted to tarpit (warhammer + shield + lord castellant + staunch defender), and are facing down horde armies, then yes the extra attacks are "cool". But you know what's better in terms of volume of shots? Vanguard-raptors. Raptors do 27 shots when not moving, vs. crossjuds that do 12 shots (prime most likely will be on the bow, since it's too good not to take). Former hits on 4+/4+ (prime does 3+), while latter does 3+/4+. Both no rend and 1 damage. Not to mention they're both the same cost too.

Crossbows are almost never seen. I think they're pretty niche.

Lightning Chariot doesn't count as movement so that can let you catapult them up and get the bonus shots.

They've more wounds per points than the vanguard raptors with hurricane crossbows so more staying power. The prime can have the special bow for an interesting mixed unit with the last model doing a lot of damage potentially.

Another super niche thing to note is if you use celestial vindicator warrior chamber, judicators have blade melee weapons so get the combat phase benefits. Vanguard Raptors don't.

One way to use them would be in aetherstrike force as the first sacrifice. Relictor lightning chariots them forward to die (and trigger the other aetherstrike unit shooting). Speedbump and a lot of shots.

6 hours ago, Turragor said:

Crossbows are almost never seen. I think they're pretty niche.

Lightning Chariot doesn't count as movement so that can let you catapult them up and get the bonus shots.

They've more wounds per points than the vanguard raptors with hurricane crossbows so more staying power. The prime can have the special bow for an interesting mixed unit with the last model doing a lot of damage potentially.

Another super niche thing to note is if you use celestial vindicator warrior chamber, judicators have blade melee weapons so get the combat phase benefits. Vanguard Raptors don't.

One way to use them would be in aetherstrike force as the first sacrifice. Relictor lightning chariots them forward to die (and trigger the other aetherstrike unit shooting). Speedbump and a lot of shots.

I have a feeling the aetherstrike battalion might be the next big thing for stormcasts. 

I did a few  test  games  with aetherstrike. At 2k points with 12 longstrikes i murdered  2 treelords  in 1 turn. That said they need be protected.  One game  i had 20 liberators Max distanced out  to stave off  a mass khorne blok. The other i used  protectors  to make  them resilient to shooting.

Hurricane crossbows were  dissapointing. 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I did a few  test  games  with aetherstrike. At 2k points with 12 longstrikes i murdered  2 treelords  in 1 turn. That said they need be protected.  One game  i had 20 liberators Max distanced out  to stave off  a mass khorne blok. The other i used  protectors  to make  them resilient to shooting.

Hurricane crossbows were  dissapointing. 

This is my experience as well. Anything in line of sight of the raptors will die in the shooting phase. Melee armies can't do anything against the birds denying charges, judicators screening, and retaliation fire from killing birds/judicators. Even Tomb Kings and Beastclaw are easily beaten.

Best counters to Aetherstrike are other shooting lists, but shooting armies struggle to get through Protectors, Lantern, Staunch Defender, and Warding Lantern. Raptors are very weak to mortal wounds, but it's easy to stay out of range of almost every mortal wound unit in the game.

Ranged Mortal Wound shooting/magic seems to be the way to go but the vast majority of it has a shorter range than Longstrikes.

Hellcannons are a good counter, but are easily neutralized by deep strike judicators.

Skryre deep strike would be a good counter. Might have to include a gryph hound or two to stop that nonsense.

Regarding Hurricanes:

I was also disappointed with them at first but I realized it wasn't a fair comparison. You can't compare 3 Hurricanes to 12 Longstrikes, especially with Aetherstrike making you shoot 2+ times per turn.

Hurricanes excel at hitting low armor targets. When you're facing a horde of bloodreavers, grots, or savage orruks the Hurricanes will do more damage than Longstrikes (but with lower range). Longstrikes are like ranged Retributors and Hurricanes are like ranged Decimators - you want to hit different kinds of targets with each unit to get the most value.

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

This is my experience as well. Anything in line of sight of the raptors will die in the shooting phase. Melee armies can't do anything against the birds denying charges, judicators screening, and retaliation fire from killing birds/judicators. Even Tomb Kings and Beastclaw are easily beaten.

Best counters to Aetherstrike are other shooting lists, but shooting armies struggle to get through Protectors, Lantern, Staunch Defender, and Warding Lantern. Raptors are very weak to mortal wounds, but it's easy to stay out of range of almost every mortal wound unit in the game.

Ranged Mortal Wound shooting/magic seems to be the way to go but the vast majority of it has a shorter range than Longstrikes.

Hellcannons are a good counter, but are easily neutralized by deep strike judicators.

Skryre deep strike would be a good counter. Might have to include a gryph hound or two to stop that nonsense.

Regarding Hurricanes:

I was also disappointed with them at first but I realized it wasn't a fair comparison. You can't compare 3 Hurricanes to 12 Longstrikes, especially with Aetherstrike making you shoot 2+ times per turn.

Hurricanes excel at hitting low armor targets. When you're facing a horde of bloodreavers, grots, or savage orruks the Hurricanes will do more damage than Longstrikes (but with lower range). Longstrikes are like ranged Retributors and Hurricanes are like ranged Decimators - you want to hit different kinds of targets with each unit to get the most value.

Can you message me the list you are using  ? Ill compare it with mine

Check out page 3 of the "The rules" FAQ. Shows a table and some text that says when and what a move is and what restrictions apply. As hammerstrike force wording is, "this is their move for the movement phase" means that it is classed as a "normal" move and not a "charge" move (also happens in the movement phase not charge phase) therefore has to adhere to the 3" from enemy models restriction. 

Its very clear and has been hashed out here on TGA,, on twitter and elsewhere. I can see how the wording for "set up" in the same FAQ could cause confusion or give a player a basis for a counter argument as to why they should go within 3" but if you take a step back from the way you have or want to play it really is concrete (if somewhat wordy). 

The same applies to aetherwings there's is a normal move in the charge phase (not a charge) so they also cannot go within 3" 

3" is more than enough to get the job done ;-)

1 hour ago, Sangfroid said:

Check out page 3 of the "The rules" FAQ. Shows a table and some text that says when and what a move is and what restrictions apply. As hammerstrike force wording is, "this is their move for the movement phase" means that it is classed as a "normal" move and not a "charge" move (also happens in the movement phase not charge phase) therefore has to adhere to the 3" from enemy models restriction. 

Its very clear and has been hashed out here on TGA,, on twitter and elsewhere. I can see how the wording for "set up" in the same FAQ could cause confusion or give a player a basis for a counter argument as to why they should go within 3" but if you take a step back from the way you have or want to play it really is concrete (if somewhat wordy). 

The same applies to aetherwings there's is a normal move in the charge phase (not a charge) so they also cannot go within 3" 

3" is more than enough to get the job done ;-)

Yep, that's true. Hammertsrike counts as set-up AND move. You can't move within 3" of enemy.

32 minutes ago, Olincay said:

If you fail a 3" charge that's just sigmars polite way of letting you know it wasn't meant to be. 

THIS.

2 discussion topics to bounce off my fellow StormBros (I'm only a part-time enthusiast of theirs, so please weigh in!) . . .

How cheap would a separate warscroll of Crossbow Judicators have to be for you to consider them evenly against their superior bow-wielding cohorts??  I'd say if you can still take a Shockbolt bow then . . . 130-140?  If you're stuck with the Thunderbolt Crossbow then . . . 110-120???  Food for thought for the General's Handbook 2.0/2017 edition.

Also, I'm of the opinion that Knight-Heraldors are still sneaky good, even if the Relictor's stocks are up since introduction of their prayers . . . the question is, are they good enough to take the cheap* Celestial Warbringers Harbringer Chamber???  They can tree-burst Sylvaneth & other terrain-huggers from 25", cycle-charge Fulminators/LCoD's with Glaives from 25" away, no Bravery reductions whatsoever, and on a roll of 6 can pile-in on additional enemies once they wipe a unit out.  I'm OK with taking an extra Hero or 2 in order to qualify for the Lords of the Storm battalion, then unlocking a Vanguard Wing to boot.  

Also, I could paint them in a custom paint scheme/my own StormHost/as a later "founding," & most people wouldn't know the difference.  Quick, what's the official color scheme of the Celestial Warbringers???

*After dropping 100 points on the Lords of the Storm, which half-to-all of its benefits are wasted (beyond the extra artefact) if you don't end your turn with them in a couple trios (to trigger the Mortal Wound & routing on a 4+) or within 6" of their underlings to give them +1 Bravery.  Vanguard Wing is also 100 points, but Prosecutors with trident & jav.'s are solid shooty air-cav. pre-req.'s, and it gives you something nice to do with 2 of your BattleLine units, plus the 60 for the Harbringers Chamber is . . . 260 total for 3 battalions.

This is something i've been thinking of running for a 2k tournament comming up here. 

It's just a one dayer with the scenarios being border war and 3 places of power. With the two being rerolled and one played again.

IMG_3823.PNG

Hurricanes  and low rend shooting  won't be able to wound them

25 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

So.. I don't know the rules of these models very well.. but wouldn't the longstrike raptors be vulnerable against hurricane raptors? (and other teleporters.. but especially shooters)

THIS.
2 discussion topics to bounce off my fellow StormBros (I'm only a part-time enthusiast of theirs, so please weigh in!) . . .

Also, I'm of the opinion that Knight-Heraldors are still sneaky good, even if the Relictor's stocks are up since introduction of their prayers . . . the question is, are they good enough to take the cheap* Celestial Warbringers Harbringer Chamber???  They can tree-burst Sylvaneth & other terrain-huggers from 25", cycle-charge Fulminators/LCoD's with Glaives from 25" away, no Bravery reductions whatsoever, and on a roll of 6 can pile-in on additional enemies once they wipe a unit out.  I'm OK with taking an extra Hero or 2 in order to qualify for the Lords of the Storm battalion, then unlocking a Vanguard Wing to boot.  
Also, I could paint them in a custom paint scheme/my own StormHost/as a later "founding," & most people wouldn't know the difference.  Quick, what's the official color scheme of the Celestial Warbringers???
*After dropping 100 points on the Lords of the Storm, which half-to-all of its benefits are wasted (beyond the extra artefact) if you don't end your turn with them in a couple trios (to trigger the Mortal Wound & routing on a 4+) or within 6" of their underlings to give them +1 Bravery.  Vanguard Wing is also 100 points, but Prosecutors with trident & jav.'s are solid shooty air-cav. pre-req.'s, and it gives you something nice to do with 2 of your BattleLine units, plus the 60 for the Harbringers Chamber is . . . 260 total for 3 battalions.

As a complete new player to AOS, I've just started looking at building army lists for a SE army. I'm in the process of painting up a Celestial Warbringers army (mine are metallic red with white and gold trim, close enough) and want to focus on painting units for an army and this list interests me.
I've worked out the minimum cost for the minimum amount of models/units (no artifacts/buffs added) and it's comes in at 1360 points. So that's 640 to play with.
Just wondering how people would think of expanding this to 2000? Obviously it needs another battleline unit to meet minimum requirements, and the list could do with some more bodies.
What do people think? any advice (last hero choice? Other units, artifacts etc...)?

4 hours ago, PJetski said:

This is what I'm playing around with currently:

aetherstrike.png

edit: General should be Castellant instead of Azyros

This is similar to what I have put together to try out, only differences are an extra unit of liberators and aetherwings instead of raptors with hurricanes 

I didn't want to start a new thread for it, but @Turragor did you see the Stardrake list that took third at the second GT heat this weekend? 

Lord Celestant on Stardrake, Staunch Defender, Mirror Shield, KeenClawed
Lord Relictor
Lord-Castallant
Knight Heraldor
Knight Venator
5 Liberators
5 Judicators
5 Judicators
2 Fulminators
2 Fluminators
3 Prosecutors with Javelins

6 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

I didn't want to start a new thread for it, but @Turragor did you see the Stardrake list that took third at the second GT heat this weekend? 

Lord Celestant on Stardrake, Staunch Defender, Mirror Shield, KeenClawed
Lord Relictor
Lord-Castallant
Knight Heraldor
Knight Venator
5 Liberators
5 Judicators
5 Judicators
2 Fulminators
2 Fluminators
3 Prosecutors with Javelins

Yeah. Big guy gets more traction with the artefacts and staunch defenders. It's cool! I wish I coulda taken mine to the tourney Im attending this weekend but I hate transporting him, he broke last tourney :( - I'm getting a magnetic case to handle this quandry.

On 09/04/2017 at 10:24 AM, Dotification said:

Also, I'm of the opinion that Knight-Heraldors are still sneaky good, even if the Relictor's stocks are up since introduction of their prayers . . . the question is, are they good enough to take the cheap* Celestial Warbringers Harbringer Chamber???  

I was very tempted by this.

I really love the heraldor but there was some points i had with him :

• He is 120 points so he ends in direct competition with other 100~worth of heroes, like, lets say, the Castellan who is a staple.
  • Unlike some of these heroes, he act twice a turn, in the hero phase and in the shooting phase BUT he doesn't fight. At all. Don't even try.
  • The 4+ save is a thing. Squishy.
  • Nobody seems to take care him. He goes unnoticed compared to your other heroes.
  • Very important, everything screams "CHAAARGE" with him until things are in combat and your trumpetblast become a liability because it hurts your own troops. Hurting your units to dammage something was very common for me.
  • 10" for the flee'run'n'charge is very short, you have to plan. The 25" range for the Warbringer is a gift.
  • He gets better, the more points the game involve.

I saw a podcast talking about a really dirty combo using the Heraldor.

It was the Adepticon doubles tournament, a Sylvaneth player and a Stormcast player. The Sylvaneth player filled the board with trees, the Stormcast player brought 2~3 Heraldors and then tooted at the trees. Instant nuke field that you can set up with near impunity. 

You can sort of do this as a solo 2000 point list. Either you play mixed Order and have to pay for the trees, or you can play Sylvaneth with the Winterleaf Wargrove battalion which lets you take an Order unit (though then you're just playing Sylvaneth).

I've got some store credit and I'm wondering if I should put it up between a Stardrake or some Vanguard units since I don't have Hunters or Palladors. What do you guys think?

Archived