Rune's Summary of Warhammer Fest (AoS Focused)

19 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

I'd say that probably the worst thing about the Ricoh in comparison to the NEC or NIA is that there isn't really a proper awards area so the actual awards feel a bit anticlimatic by comparison.

Personally it's because I would have to drive to the Ricoh whilst NEC or NIA I could train it :D 

16 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I thought the same at one point on Saturday - but it was confirmed that Malign Sorcery is still an expansion!  It's also been called a core rule expansion too, which suggests to me that you can use it in your army if you want to (e.g. regardless of what method of play you use)

hummm... I wonder what will happen with the Balewind Vortex.... :D 

I like there is a magic expansion as it means that they can put some more space towards how it works. Hopefully we will see rules for playing games in each of the realms as well. Maybe something like you choose what realm you have an affinity to (say Chamon) and if you play games in that realm you get a bonus (or negative depending on what you choose). You roll for this each game.

9 hours ago, blueshirtman said:

Was there any talk about fixing the underpowered faction like BCR? Most of the new changes sound very nice, and new stuff to use is always welcome, but BCR have no command abilities on their heros, and have 0 casters of any kind. So they would be punished a lot, if the focus of the game went there.

I suspect the older armies will be revisited at some point as they will need tweaking for the new rules or updating. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, blueshirtman said:

Did they say what people with armies that aren't doing well and which are going to do even worse in 2.0 are suppose to do in the mean time or was it just wait and a see, we fix it later?

I didn't go but have been to these seminars before and they don't tend to answer those sorts of questions directly. Personally, I think they will revisit all the armies that have had books in a similar way to what they've done in 40K. It's a quick update to do, makes players happy and means more space in the Generals Handbook. I think a lot of this is reliant upon what factions we get in the future but I think they will retire all the compendium stuff to the Legacy range. Then I think they will leave everything as is that doesn't have a book but it leaves the door open for them to revisit later.

Personally, I think the soul wars are going to be a very interesting chapter in the game! :D 

1 minute ago, Gaz Taylor said:

I didn't go but have been to these seminars before and they don't tend to answer those sorts of questions directly. Personally, I think they will revisit all the armies that have had books in a similar way to what they've done in 40K. It's a quick update to do, makes players happy and means more space in the Generals Handbook. I think a lot of this is reliant upon what factions we get in the future but I think they will retire all the compendium stuff to the Legacy range. Then I think they will leave everything as is that doesn't have a book but it leaves the door open for them to revisit later.

Personally, I think the soul wars are going to be a very interesting chapter in the game! :D 

Well, I hope it does. My army has nothing of the things that gets buffed, and some of the stuff that gets nerfed. But am mostly worried I will have a meltdown like our only GK player a few months ago after a tournament in April. It was not nice to see, and I hope I don't end up acting like him. AoS is my first table top game, and for the last month I steadly stoped wanting to go to the store to play. Had to because my friend started stormcasts, I hoped for good news about updates and got this. Extremly worried I wasted all my money.

3 minutes ago, blueshirtman said:

Well, I hope it does. My army has nothing of the things that gets buffed, and some of the stuff that gets nerfed. But am mostly worried I will have a meltdown like our only GK player a few months ago after a tournament in April. It was not nice to see, and I hope I don't end up acting like him. AoS is my first table top game, and for the last month I steadly stoped wanting to go to the store to play. Had to because my friend started stormcasts, I hoped for good news about updates and got this. Extremly worried I wasted all my money.

I do not think you have anything to be concerned about. There is a very good team involved with Age of Sigmar that has a good grasp on how it works when it hits the general public. 40K has an issue that there is a very competitive core set of players who seem to come up with all sorts of ways to 'break' the game (and that's a separate discussion and not one for here). 

I think BCR will get a new book or an update soon. Personally I would love to see Ogors rolled into the army as I have a army made up of Stonehorns and Ogors but lets see what happens. Be patient and if you have no joy running them as pure BCR add some additional models and run them as a destruction force ;) 

2 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

I do not think you have anything to be concerned about. There is a very good team involved with Age of Sigmar that has a good grasp on how it works when it hits the general public. 40K has an issue that there is a very competitive core set of players who seem to come up with all sorts of ways to 'break' the game (and that's a separate discussion and not one for here). 

I think BCR will get a new book or an update soon. Personally I would love to see Ogors rolled into the army as I have a army made up of Stonehorns and Ogors but lets see what happens. Be patient and if you have no joy running them as pure BCR add some additional models and run them as a destruction force ;) 

@blueshirtman Can't agree with @Gaz Taylor more!  Talking to a few of the rules team, they seemed very aware that everything prior to Maggotkin wasn't as good as they could do now.  The impression I got was the document they've written on standardising phrases and wording has actually meant they can spend more time on coming up with new army shenanigans such as gravesites, Etherwater and similar and producing really high quality battletomes. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on seeing something really special for Ogors - I've a load of half assembled Gutbusters at home that would love me to pull my finger out and finish them off :P

On 5/14/2018 at 9:31 AM, RuneBrush said:

It is also worth noting that some factions (e.g. Khorne) will initially get the rough end of the stick - however the rules team are very aware of this and have plans to balance this out, but don't expect it immediately 

Oh and I won a Golden Demon for my 40k vehicle

I was only joking GW when I said Khorne needed a good Nerfing. At least Khorne will be happy as I send all of my units to be slaughtered.

Well done on the Golden Demon that is amazing.

Really looking forward to the AoS open day & getting my hands on some of this stuff.

6 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

hummm... I wonder what will happen with the Balewind Vortex.... :D 

Even though I know some people hate on the poor Balewind Vortex, I'm glad Get didn't just nerf it. I like how the chose to explore the notion of spells with persistent effects. This should interesting!

4 minutes ago, Kamose said:

Even though I know some people hate on the poor Balewind Vortex, I'm glad Get didn't just nerf it. I like how the chose to explore the notion of spells with persistent effects. This should interesting!

Too be honest, they could have fixed it by making it one use only :D 

But I'm very interested to see what they do. Hopefully there will be a nice selection of spells which will give players a nice toolbox to play with

Or make it so that: if you can’t place it without moving other models you can’t use it. That’s my biggest annoyance with it. Feels like an exploitation instead of ‘logical’ consequence of a vortex appearing. Or maybe moving at the risk of x amount of mortal wounds. That would be suitably fluffy :) 

4 hours ago, Kramer said:

Or make it so that: if you can’t place it without moving other models you can’t use it. That’s my biggest annoyance with it. Feels like an exploitation instead of ‘logical’ consequence of a vortex appearing. Or maybe moving at the risk of x amount of mortal wounds. That would be suitably fluffy :) 

Well it is a big magical tornado, so shouldn't it not just carry the caster aloft but suck up and kill all models within 3" and then spew their corpses in all directions? I'm thinking a rule where all models within 3" are killed and, for each slain model, the vortex shoots a corpse in a random direction for a random number of inches inflicting a random number of randomly allocated hits to a random number of units that the randomrandomrandomrandom. Doesn't that sound like fun? Well? Doesn't it?!  ?

On 5/14/2018 at 10:31 AM, RuneBrush said:

The "strategic double turn" wasn't spoken about at all in the seminar but was mentioned on the WHC article.

I'm new to the hobby, which is why I don't really know the history and background of the game.

Are double turns something that the community really likes or dislikes? Personally, I think the double turn opens up for some interesting turn of events. However, I'm still very new to the hobby so I can't really base this on previous experiences. 

1 hour ago, PowerMullet said:

I'm new to the hobby, which is why I don't really know the history and background of the game.

Are double turns something that the community really likes or dislikes? Personally, I think the double turn opens up for some interesting turn of events. However, I'm still very new to the hobby so I can't really base this on previous experiences. 

It may be the most divisive rule in Age of Sigmar, and frankly, that may be why it'll stay. Its unique, frustrating, and inspires plenty of discussion. 

1 minute ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

It may be the most divisive rule in Age of Sigmar, and frankly, that may be why it'll stay. Its unique, frustrating, and inspires plenty of discussion. 

Isn't it a mechanic coming more or less from the Lord of the Ring strategy battle game (by GW), no ?

1 hour ago, PowerMullet said:

The priority roll is very much like Marmite in that people generally love it or hate it!  There are loads of topics on here that discuss the various arguments for both sides.  Suffice to say we're all really intrigued as to exactly what the new edition actually holds for this :)

35 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Isn't it a mechanic coming more or less from the Lord of the Ring strategy battle game (by GW), no ?

I don't think anybody authoritatively had an answer as to what was coming, though quite a few people are looking at other GW systems for the answer.

43 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

You roll for priority each turn, but the difference is that LotR has "I go, you go" for each sub-phase, so a double turn à la AoS is not possible. Not 100% sure as it has been ages since I last played.

I think that closest thing that resembles the AoS double turn, in terms of impact, would be the Blood Bowl turnover. The fact a single roll puts an end your turn is always source of frustration, pressure and laughs/ragequit, especially if it happens just at the start (technically making it two turns in a row for the oponent if not cautious!). But Blood Bowl wouldn't be the same without it. I guess the same applies to AoS.

Also, I'd keep the double T as it is just for the sake of being a unique feature. I think AoS is already close enough to 40k (or is it the other way around? ;)), so anything that puts them apart is a plus. That's why I'm a bit worried about the command points thing... I hope it really is very different than the 40k version (which I hate btw, terrible mechanic). Since LotR is mentionned, it would be cool if the command points in AoS worked as Might in LotR, for example. That would be cool and different. 

2 hours ago, Kamose said:

Well it is a big magical tornado, so shouldn't it not just carry the caster aloft but suck up and kill all models within 3" and then spew their corpses in all directions? I'm thinking a rule where all models within 3" are killed and, for each slain model, the vortex shoots a corpse in a random direction for a random number of inches inflicting a random number of randomly allocated hits to a random number of units that the randomrandomrandomrandom. Doesn't that sound like fun? Well? Doesn't it?!  ?

Honestly to me.. it does! 

Moght je a bit much admin but a hell of a lot better than using it to get that extra three inch move ;) 

17 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

@blueshirtman Can't agree with @Gaz Taylor more!  Talking to a few of the rules team, they seemed very aware that everything prior to Maggotkin wasn't as good as they could do now.  The impression I got was the document they've written on standardising phrases and wording has actually meant they can spend more time on coming up with new army shenanigans such as gravesites, Etherwater and similar and producing really high quality battletomes. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on seeing something really special for Ogors - I've a load of half assembled Gutbusters at home that would love me to pull my finger out and finish them off :P

Surprisingly an Ogor was used in that Grand alliance Poster to represent the face of Destruction, so at least GW is cementing them in the AoS world.  I think GW do have plans for Ogors it  could just be a while before it happens

2 hours ago, novakai said:

Surprisingly an Ogor was used in that Grand alliance Poster to represent the face of Destruction, so at least GW is cementing them in the AoS world.  I think GW do have plans for Ogors it  could just be a while before it happens

Good catch! 

3 hours ago, novakai said:

Yes we got very excited about that on the Gutbusters FB page!  I especially liked that it was Ogors and Moonclan, and since Moonclan are so heavily linked with a forthcoming release, that links seems very promising.  I would EXPLODE if tomorrow's "Faction Focus" is the big lads!

3 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Yes we got very excited about that on the Gutbusters FB page!  I especially liked that it was Ogors and Moonclan, and since Moonclan are so heavily linked with a forthcoming release, that links seems very promising.  I would EXPLODE if tomorrow's "Faction Focus" is the big lads!

Beside the Poster, there also the 4 warlord piece that been going on in the White dwarf that feature DoK, LoN,  Maggotkin, and lastly BCR, all of them except for BCR have gotten an update this year. And I believe Gutbuster like Moonclan and DoK where left out of the recent GHB. I maybe reading too much into it, but it possibly a hint of something for Ogors.

Archived