Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

5 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Excellent list ! Isn't it quite a great time to play AOS  :D 

Just some things : 

The Core Book contains 1 spell per Realms but no artefact IIRC ; it's "just" command traits / special abilities for the battle.

It also has rules for the 3 ways to play, and Endless spells + Balewind vortex.

It has IIRC the 6 matched play battleplans from GHB2016 (updated) ; the 12 other (6 updated from GHB2017 and 6 new) are in the GHB2018. 

Malign Sorcery has 6 spells per realms and (many) artefacts, and on top of that the Endless spells rules (again) + the 13 spells from the box.

(And 2 more magic themed MATCHED PLAY Battle plan, for a total of 20). 

It's an amazing time to be involved in the hobby!

Cheers for that - I'll update my list :)

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly @RuneBrush and  @HorticulusTGA. It's not the same as in 40k 7th Ed, where you had to buy additional books for specific rules of your army (like if you wanted to play CSM with Legions rules you had to buy Traitor's Hate - now most of them are in the codex). Right now if your army is going to have allegiance abilities and it doesn't have battletome, you can be sure that they will be in GHB and not scattered among numerous books. And GW already said that Endless Spells are going to be "optional" (and as I already said their warscrolls are downloadable for free). 

Just now, Xasz said:

If the realm artifacts are matched play legal, you'll need access to them one way or another to them.

Can I ask why?

Reason for asking is that I've not picked up Malign Sorcery yet so not going to have access to realm spells or artefacts.  That means that I know I'm not going to field them and if my opponent has one I'll simply ask what it does in the same way I do when I don't have my opponents armies battletome.  Just wondering if I'm missing something

2 hours ago, Xasz said:

If the realm artifacts are matched play legal, you'll need access to them one way or another.

That's something you cannot deny.

1) buy the book

*Mod Edit - I have removed part of this post as blatantly promoting or advocating piracy is completely unacceptable here*

----------------

Look, i get at what youre saying. But its not 7th ed 40k bad. Its 3 books. Rules, army, magic. Just like it was in 5th edition fantasy. Actually, less so, in 5th if you didnt buy the magic supplement you literally couldnt cast spells at all

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Can I ask why?

Reason for asking is that I've not picked up Malign Sorcery yet so not going to have access to realm spells or artefacts.  That means that I know I'm not going to field them and if my opponent has one I'll simply ask what it does in the same way I do when I don't have my opponents armies battletome.  Just wondering if I'm missing something

You have to plan your list at some point and therefore will need the necessary information about the things you are eligible to take and what they do. 

If you have no interest in endless spells, you payed 60 Euro for plastic garbage. Which you could resell, but that's even more work for things you did not want in the first place. What you wanted are about 20 pages from the small book, which are not even making up 1/4 of it.

*Mod Edit - I have removed part of this post as blatantly promoting or advocating piracy is completely unacceptable here*

At the end of the day you don't *have* to have realm artefacts or endless spells, they're optional.  I'm pretty sure amongst my local group of friends we'll pick up a copy and look through to see if there's anything of interest (or pop into a GW to look at the open copy).

Also @Xasz & @Gotrek please don't make me put my Mod Hat on - pirating isn't acceptable regardless of the industry.  If I'm looking to build the ultimate top tier list then legally obtaining all of the resources is part of that process.  I can see your frustration and would suggest checking out bitz sites/eBay - most people are going to be after the endless spells and warscroll cards, so you may well be able to pick up the book pretty cheap!

37 minutes ago, Gotrek said:

1) buy the book

2) borrow and make photocopies of your friend's book

3) pirate the book.

----------------

Look, i get at what youre saying. But its not 7th ed 40k bad. Its 3 books. Rules, army, magic. Just like it was in 5th edition fantasy. Actually, less so, in 5th if you didnt buy the magic supplement you literally couldnt cast spells at all

Boo hiss.

Advocating theft is awful.

Want a new car?

1) Buy one.

2) Steal one.

No.

8 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

At the end of the day you don't *have* to have realm artefacts or endless spells, they're optional.  I'm pretty sure amongst my local group of friends we'll pick up a copy and look through to see if there's anything of interest (or pop into a GW to look at the open copy).

Also @Xasz & @Gotrek please don't make me put my Mod Hat on - pirating isn't acceptable regardless of the industry.  If I'm looking to build the ultimate top tier list then legally obtaining all of the resources is part of that process.  I can see your frustration and would suggest checking out bitz sites/eBay - most people are going to be after the endless spells and warscroll cards, so you may well be able to pick up the book pretty cheap!

If something is required to make your list optimal, then it isn't really optional. It is as optimal as wearing cloths, technicllly you can go outside without any, and if you hit a FKK it is even ok, but in the majority of the world you end up in jail.

Want a new car?

1) Buy one.

2) Steal one.

No.

Being a member of a nation know for it car thiefs, I would say it is steal car, buy used one for cheaper, use rest to buy AoS books.

Ah yes, AoS2 will be exactly like 40K 7th edition, where just to play my Space Wolves I had to buy:
- the Core Rulebook (with attached fluff books)
- Death from the Skies for flyer rules
- Codex: Space Wolves for unit stats and rules
- Champions of Fenris for formation rules
- Warzone Fenris: Curse of the Wulfen for just the rules of one new unit

Also how you organize your units got changed 3 times during one edition, with rules for already existing unit types (Flyers) tacked on later. Erratas and rule clarifications were few and far between.

Wait. No.

I get that some people don't like that Malign Sorcery is separate from the Core Rulebook and maybe even the yearly release of GHB is too much, but with all this you get:
-  the core rules for free to download
- rules for units and endless spells (warscrolls) for free to download
- warscroll builder tool for free that is official, has all the units, point costs, magic doodads, traits and command abilities
- support for the game in the form of erratas after every release, FAQs twice a year, GHB yearly with updated point costs

That is more than engough to play the game. You only have to pay for:
- Battletome for allegiance abilities, army specific spells, magic items, warlord traits, etc.
- Malign Sorcery for skirmish play, home realm and endless spell rules and the models for all of the endless spells
- Core Rulebook for allegiance abilities ,  magic items, realm specific rules, battleplans, matched play rules, etc.
- GHB for updated point costs, extra battleplans, etc.

In addition you may pay to have access to all that in their app.

Literally none of the above benefits and tools were provided for 40K 7th edition. Everything was "paywalled".

6 minutes ago, blueshirtman said:

If something is required to make your list optimal, then it isn't really optional. It is as optimal as wearing cloths, technicllly you can go outside without any, and if you hit a FKK it is even ok, but in the majority of the world you end up in jail.

@RuneBrush has already given you a solution - if your friend have that book you can share it or buy it separately on ebay.

You can  buy the digital version of the book (not sure if Malign Sorcery is already in digital tho) instead of the full package.

If you want an Endless Spell's mini you can always make your own with leftovers bits later.

Anything before piracy please, that's  not good.

20 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Boo hiss.

Advocating theft is awful.

Want a new car?

1) Buy one.

2) Steal one.

No.

I wasnt advocating theft. I was listing it as an option to acquire desired information. Just as you werent advocating for people to actually steal cars, and saying "you can always rob a bank" to someone complaining about money is not advocating for robbery. 

---------------------

Though the photocopy thing isnt actually illegal (at least in the US), federal law allows you to make backups of material you own and lets you share those backups, the line is drawn at widespread distribution of said backups.

GW is awfully quiet recently. They even write worse and worse articles like "The Top 8 Skulls Khorne wishes he could add to the Skull throne". WTF? Can't they introduce the new 2 armies ? Can't they give us some insight about the specificity of the new factions?

5 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

GW is awfully quiet recently. They even write worse and worse articles like "The Top 8 Skulls Khorne wishes he could add to the Skull throne". WTF? Can't they introduce the new 2 armies ? Can't they give us some insight about the specificity of the new factions?

I liked that article it was fun! Not everything has to be about rules...

Guys, come on, really?!

We are not going to tolerate the advocacy or promotion of piracy here. If you do it, you will receive a warning. If you do it again, you will receive a ban. It's that simple.

Much like suggesting someone steal an army, listing piracy as an option just isn't acceptable. Cut it out.

Chris

"The Top 8 Skulls Khorne wishes he could add to the Skull throne"

The article is not bad per se. But it doesn't add anything that we don't know. Even lore wise. It gives me the feeling of emptyness blahblah. Just my point of view.  More of this, it opens the door of more useless articles while we are in the need of more informations. There're have been zero informations about the game for a while now whereas the pre-order has launched. 

We are not in 2015 with a blank sheet for a total new game: we are in 2018 with a mature game with already solid rules, many factions and armies ready to go. 

I'm so in the hurry to know more about the 2 upcoming armies.

9 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

"The Top 8 Skulls Khorne wishes he could add to the Skull throne"

The article is not bad per se. But it doesn't add anything that we don't know. Even lore wise. It gives me the feeling of emptyness blahblah. Just my point of view.  More of this, it opens the door of more useless articles while we are in the need of more informations. There're have been zero informations about the game for a while now whereas the pre-order has launched. 

We are not in 2015 with a blank sheet for a total new game: we are in 2018 with a mature game with already solid rules, many factions and armies ready to go. 

I'm so in the hurry to know more about the 2 upcoming armies.

I don't know, the thought of Khorne struggling to design and build a Wile E Coyote style contraption that would cut his own head off, strip the flesh and position it in a place of honour brings a smile to my face. 

Sure I'd like to see more reveals on upcoming models, rules etc but it does seem GW are keeping their powder dry for the AoS Open Day on the 30th. If we just get some fluff pieces between then and now, it'll suck a bit but will be quickly forgotten.

The argument "just look into your buddies book" or "take a photo of it" is just too precious. (and technically the same as stealing)

This is the fallout of the issue and not its solution.

Even non-gaming companies have realized that DLC-culture is a favourable business model for them and for some reason consumers across the board accepted this. Why sell the whole package if you can feed it to them bit by bit or sell it through multiple instances.

I agree that AoS is not on the same level as 40k in that regard, where GW pretty much sold exclusively paper for the last year but it is troubling nonetheless.

Another glorious argument, "you don't need it to play". 

Damn, that just changed my mind, it just occurred to me: I don't need models or dice, or a battletome... I'll probably show up with self-made stickfigures and a handwritten battletome to my next game... while I'm being sarcastic I have to acknowledge that there is some truth in this argument. If you are just starting, there is indeed no point in owning everything, as you probably have more than enough to do with the base rules and your battletome.

The story is different for intermediate and veteran players that are at least somewhat interest in a competitive game. This is the group that really gets hurt by decentralized an needlessly spread out rules.

In hindsight, this is probably the wrong board to criticize GW and I'll shut my face about it.

to buy or not to buy...

This hobby is  not the cheapest. We all agree about that. But few solutions exists in addition to free (official) ones (rules, warscrolls, points)

Core rule book : buy the core set, resell the 2 armies  and you got almost the book for free.

Battletome: if you are lucky enough to have a friend interested by the same army, share it! And once you don't need it anymore, sell it! The only thing you have to remember is the batailions, that's it. The rest is in the above  (free  official :rules, warscrolls, points). Or buy a used one.

and then, you're set.

I was wondering about this; there's a new rule that says warscroll rules over core rules. Would this mean that Ripperdactyls will generate extra attacks from their extra attacks as that is specifically on their warscroll? It seems like that is RAW, but I don't know if it's intentional or one of those rules GW forgot about.

Archived