Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point I am really not convinced on why you should get extra  command points depending on how many battalions you have. Even if it isn't game changing. It is still unfair and just strengthens armies with access to a lot of battalions.

Why do a mechanic like this when you could introduce other mechanics similar to the Malign Portents system. There you get 6 points every turn which you can spend on different abilites. And every player gets the same amount.

Instead they use a mechanic which disadvantages some armies. 

And knowing GW at the moment I really don't believe that they will introduce pricey battalions for every faction which hasnt some. I think it will go as it always goes: Stormcast gets access to everything (maybe Chaos also) and small or little armies won't get anything.

Don't get me wrong. I really like that you can "store" command points and that every hero can use their command ability. But why give armies with a lot of access to battalions extra advantages when you could introduce a fair system which gives every player the same amount?

Battalions have enough advantages. Why add more?

What if they introduce generic battalions? Or perhaps allegiance wide battalions like 1x ORDER hero, 2× ORDER battleline, *insert generic ability*?

Might be a way to mitigate the imbalance, particularly if they give them generic but powerful battalions abilities

4 minutes ago, Deepkin said:

What if they introduce generic battalions? Or perhaps allegiance wide battalions like 1x ORDER hero, 2× ORDER battleline, *insert generic ability*?

Might be a way to mitigate the imbalance, particularly if they give them generic but powerful battalions abilities

That's just going to shift the balance over to cheap armies that can afford the requirements for lots of battalions, the same way IG can farm command points with detachments in 40k.

4 minutes ago, Deepkin said:

I like the idea of "nerfing" GA mashup armies with this command point madness....no need to buff them with generic battalion. ??

13 minutes ago, smucreo said:

I'm still confident more battalions will come with the GH18.

Either that, or take the same approach they did after 40k 8th dropped and start quickly churning out new battletomes in batches until everyone is covered.

4 minutes ago, Aryann said:

And I hope that your general's command ability is free of the mechanic. Some heroes will be heavily nerfed if we have to pay for their ability which was the reason we took them in the first place. 

If you're just using your General's ability, then nothing changes from the current system. 

Just now, Jamopower said:

If you're just using your General's ability, then nothing changes from the current system. 

Jeah that is what I fear. For people without battalions this changes nothing. You will still just use your generals command ability and everyone with battalions has access to multiple command abilities. At least you can store the command points now.

I have another question. The wording is that you get a command point every turn and not battle round. Does that mean you get a command point in your turn and your enemys turn or am I just misinterpreting things? 

14 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

I like the idea of "nerfing" GA mashup armies with this command point madness....no need to buff them with generic battalion. ??

I agree. Cherry-picking should have its drawbacks. Playing mono faction gives you access to batallions but you constrain yourself from best unit options. 

3 minutes ago, Infeston said:

Jeah that is what I fear. For people without battalions this changes nothing. You will still just use your generals command ability and everyone with battalions has access to multiple command abilities. At least you can store the command points now.

I have another question. The wording is that you get a command point every turn and not battle round. Does that mean you get a command point in your turn and your enemys turn or am I just misinterpreting things? 

They will have access ONCE, they get one extra point at the beginning of the game. 

5 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

They also appear to be adding points for battalions that previously did not have them in the 2017 GHB. (Or had points removed.)

An example from the Azyr app is the verminus clawpack... which now is listed as costing 80 points.

8DE6E9C2-5CD9-4C5C-877E-0D89D4D6668E.jpeg.c1a98d557769012f668feb6062195eff.jpeg

That are the points that are Liste in the first Generals Handbook, so it's still the Battalion that was in the first compendium and likely forgotten to be removed in azyr.

6 minutes ago, Infeston said:

Well you can save up your abilities on first turn and use two on second when the clash usually happens. 

Nothing also stops people from building a grand alliance army from multiple batallions. E. G. A high elf force with the dragon prince batallion and the mage batallion etc. (not sure about the points though). 

17 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

They also appear to be adding points for battalions that previously did not have them in the 2017 GHB. (Or had points removed.)

An example from the Azyr app is the verminus clawpack... which now is listed as costing 80 points.

I think someone just put back the old ones by mistake, the Bretonninan one is there for example, and that will be going to legends soon enough.

2 minutes ago, Infeston said:

At least there will be more flexibility. When I play my brayherd, warherd, skyre,  or legion of Azgorh I usually toss inspiring presence on something for the first few turns because all of their command abilities are short ranged and situational. With command points, I can save up points if I don't need to use inspiring presence and use them to reroll charges or get a vital long run. So it still is an improvement even if you can't/don't take battalions.

4 minutes ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

At least there will be more flexibility. When I play my brayherd, warherd, skyre,  or legion of Azgorh I usually toss inspiring presence on something for the first few turns because all of their command abilities are short ranged and situational. With command points, I can save up points if I don't need to use inspiring presence and use them to reroll charges or get a vital long run. So it still is an improvement even if you can't/don't take battalions.

Less of these thoughful insights please, cant you see people dont want tactical and only want 'balance' LOL! ?

15 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

That are the points that are Liste in the first Generals Handbook, so it's still the Battalion that was in the first compendium and likely forgotten to be removed in azyr.

And possibly.

Odd that an app update would bring it back.

16 minutes ago, stato said:

Less of these thoughful insights please, cant you see people dont want tactical and only want 'balance' LOL! ?

Don't get me wrong. I don't criticize the overall mechanic. I really like that you have to use different abilties now. I really like the new flexibility with Inspiring Presence and the new tactical variance it implies. I also really like that you can store command points and think about if you use them immediately or wait to use multiple abilities all at once.

My only critique is that you get extra command points the more battalions you have. If this wouldn't be there, the whole system would be perfect in my eyes.

And I don't know what this rule adds to the tactical depth other than that armies with battalions get more options than armies without battalions.

I think if every player would get the same amount of points it would also be more tactical than now with command points being tied to battalions.

"There’s a twist, however – to use any of your command abilities, you’ll need a new resource, known as command points. "

Btw that's the wording on the article. So even your general need command points to use his command ability. Imho.

1 hour ago, Infeston said:

And knowing GW at the moment I really don't believe that they will introduce pricey battalions for every faction which hasnt some. I think it will go as it always goes: Stormcast gets access to everything (maybe Chaos also) and small or little armies won't get anything.

Yeah, because Stormcast battalions are not huge in number of required units AND points, right? To the point only 3 are consistently used.

Of what use is to have 12 battalions if 8 or 9 are useless in Matched Play?

8 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

Yeah, because Stormcast battalions are not huge in number of required units AND points, right? To the point only 3 are consistently used.

Of what use is to have 12 battalions if 8 or 9 are useless in Matched Play?

Still. Then Stormcast has still three battalions to use. Have you ever looked at other armies? Some armies don't even have battalions, others have invalidated battalions and there are also armies which have battalions they can never use in a Matched Play game (looking at BCR for example).

Even though Stormcast can only use a few, they are at least an army which could use at least three battalions in the end. Where others can't even use one or it doesn't even make any sense to use them.

Archived