Best Basing Materials

I like the vallejo brown basing paste, just slap it on the base...wash with agrax earthshade (or athonian camoshade), drybrush with ushabti bone or whatever pale color. You could also stick rocks and larger pebbles in it while it's drying for more texture variation.

11 hours ago, Durant said:

Crystals are easy to make, you take a glue gun stift (the glue) cut it in to well crystals and then paint it one layer with nail polish of any color you like. And it is done.

looks like a good idea. Could you elaborate?

What would you like to know, the method is as simple as I mentioned above. You take the glue gun stift (the glue ammo or what ever it is called) cut it as you like then paint it with one thin layer of nail polish of any color and voila. Sadly I do not have any photos perhaps this weekend I will make one.

Here is a blog entery I have stolen it from, it is in polish but there is a picture of crystals made this way, also for any one who has super power os speaking polish are a lot of ideas of what you could steal from your girlfriend cosmetics and use it :D

http://chlebaifigurek.pl/sh/fantastyczne-kobiece-gadzety-i-jak-je-znalezc-a-potem-wykorzystac/

I use Crackle Paste to add texture to bases. It adds texture and if you put it on thick enough you get actual cracking:

lqX64MWm.jpg?1  4fepTA7m.jpg?1  

You can put it on a base, prime it, and then paint it (what I do) or you can use it as a medium for acrylic paint and make your own  textured paints.

On 3/21/2018 at 11:55 AM, AthlorianStoners said:

They look awesome! Could you into the process a little? Love to use the idea!

Its really easy!  Open up some tea bags (black tea) into a bowl, apply PVA glue to base of model and either dip in the model or tip it onto the base. Then pva the leaves or any other foliage on top of the “soil”. They are the simplest bases I’ve even done. 

I like using sand & tile grout or plaster mixed with pigment and matt varnish to make my own texture paint.  This way you can make all sorts of custom colours.  

Also pine bark makes excellent rocks.  With regards to vegetation, i use gamers grass tufts.  i have some examples of different bases below:

Materials: Pine bark, GW skulls, various coloured pigments, gamers grass tufts {  http://www.gamersgrass.com/  }

IMG_2141.JPG.60ff3755d3c483f2ed619ad1d73eb228.JPG

IMG_2130.JPG.d14f3795a3b72ddfaca12ebc99b9a468.JPG

Materials: Sand, plastic card cut to shape, Shirt button and ball bearing for the green floor light

IMG_1910.JPG.5e0ca9941a805ee55a5b797584fa1944.JPG

Materials: cut up sprue glued to look like broken flooring floating

IMG_1888.JPG.35f8da5cfb160c798dc9fdef892bb4fa.JPG

Materials: Sand, Dryad heads used as weird vegetations, Gamers grass tufts and flowers

IMG_1894.JPG.6734c97a14f825c07d1981c4921b60f9.JPG

Materials: Sand & Cork 

IMG_1903.JPG.2d8d74f52af039401fb95a7cfde92472.JPG

Hope this helps!

4 hours ago, Matt Large said:

Its really easy!  Open up some tea bags (black tea) into a bowl, apply PVA glue to base of model and either dip in the model or tip it onto the base. Then pva the leaves or any other foliage on top of the “soil”. They are the simplest bases I’ve even done. 

Damn I may have to try it, they look really cool!

Archived