Lets Chat: Idoneth Deepkin

S133arcanite

Has anyone given multiple kings in 1 list a thought? Absolutely love the model and would love to run 3 or even 4 volt + kings. I seen some free guild lists in action with multiple gryphons and was hoping to duplicate similar results in this army :).

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Kugane said:

Has anyone given multiple kings in 1 list a thought?

He's good, but he's no Frostheart Phoenix. I've been thinking about multiples too cos the model is amazing, but I keep coming back to the 7 wounds for 240pts. One time is worth it for the command ability, but I'm not sure it remains efficient on the second copy. I keep coming back to how many more wounds-worth of eels I could buy for the same cost! I guess it might be worth it if you want to build multiple reroll-1s bubbles and are not running Futhan or DomHaim. Or if you are not running an aspect or turtle and need a second model for Duality.

On 4/28/2018 at 4:51 PM, Acid_Nine said:

So I got my King model today and yowza it's smaller than I thought,  Like, I was planning on getting a fish tank decoration for the base, but it's too small even for that without being grossly over the edge! that and there really is no way kitbash easily from what I have seen, and you are locked in to using either volturnous or the King  as soon as you get to the head. If I wasnt waiting for bits I could have made the guy in a few hours, but unlike my vamp's I plan on taking my time.

alsooooo, anyone know of any cool color changing painting techniques? like chaning depending on the angle of viewing?

Chameleon paints from greenstuffworld.

8 hours ago, Cookiez said:

On the other hand, it's quite a relief for my wallet. ;)

I'm thinking how to compensate the lack of AoSea in my list. I really would like him to work, as I wrote somewhere here earlier, he's huge potential but it's really hard for him to live to the expectations with 12" spell range and investing 100 more points into vortex is highly debatable. Theoretically then, I got 440 to spend and one spell to cast per turn - mystic shield probably.

First idea is the Royal Council. Downsides - 140 points for an artifact and 3x3" move, have to drop Volturnos. Upsides - less drops, artifact (Sands of Infinity for Tidecaster?), Command trait (+2 wounds? I thought Nightmare Legacy could work, but I've noticed I play very defensively so I'm rarely in range), Thralls in combat in the second round. I'd take Soulsryer either way, so not an upside really. Now I'm on 200 more to spend. Expand the Morrsarr unit to 9 and have 40 left or drop the Venator and have 320 to spend on... what?

Upgrading regular King to Volturnos. Downsides - no Command trait, but this is small, as the Traits are rather bad. So 400 points left. I really, really wouldn't like 30 more Thralls, but... ;)

I'll be testing AoSea more thou for now as I LOVE the model I'll do everything to make him work. He definitely has to be more aggressive to pay for himself and with the teleport spell of Tidecaster it may work in the end. The B plan is the Royal Council, but I really don't like paying 140 points for almost nothing.

The AoSea along with the Morrsarr were the standout MVP in the test game I've played.  I got off 6 Tsunami's against a Khorne bloodletter list, which basically just shut down the mortal wounds output when combined with Tides of Fear and other spells.  Obviously a good matchup for his spell but I also got Vorpal Maelstrom off on 3 units twice that game which was pretty nice.  He also took out about 20 bloodletters by himself in 2 rounds of melee while taking 4 wounds and healing 2 of them up.

I think the key to my play with him was to use him aggressively, he was running in right behind my Ishlaen and flanked by Morrsarr, I charged him in thinking he would die but his combat is surprisingly good and he has a great save.  Against Tzeentch or something else casting heavy he might have a hard time surviving but I dont see the concern with his spell range against anything else.  He has the move to get in range if you want him to and you dont need to worry about him being shot, so spells are the only potential issue really.

I'm planning a competitive list for a little tourny in my shop.

akelian King 

aspect of the sea

ishiran tidecaster

ishiran soulsctyer

ishiran soulrender

20 thralls

2x3 ishlaen guard

10 reavers

6 ish morrsarr

tot 2000

the plan is soulscryer ability to deep strike soul render and thralls. I'm my mind I see thralls more like a unit that can flank enemy line and keep a unit busy. With 6+ I can charge with them first turn, my opponent have to think something about them, because they got so mutch damage. They are glass cannon unit. The plan is combat with them and slow enemy line. Some opponent units have to deal with thralls, that give me time to me to reach turn 3 in a better spot.

my ishlaen have to tank bigger and faster enemy units, with reavers to support . 

My hope is turn 3 charge with morrsarr and akelian King with lance, with aspect . That 3 units can wipe out everything in one go. 

Thats the plan but obv in a tourny all can happen:) what do you think about the list?:)

13 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

I'm planning a competitive list for a little tourny in my shop.

akelian King 

aspect of the sea

ishiran tidecaster

ishiran soulsctyer

ishiran soulrender

20 thralls

2x3 ishlaen guard

10 reavers

6 ish morrsarr

tot 2000

the plan is soulscryer ability to deep strike soul render and thralls. I'm my mind I see thralls more like a unit that can flank enemy line and keep a unit busy. With 6+ I can charge with them first turn, my opponent have to think something about them, because they got so mutch damage. They are glass cannon unit. The plan is combat with them and slow enemy line. Some opponent units have to deal with thralls, that give me time to me to reach turn 3 in a better spot.

my ishlaen have to tank bigger and faster enemy units, with reavers to support . 

My hope is turn 3 charge with morrsarr and akelian King with lance, with aspect . That 3 units can wipe out everything in one go. 

Thats the plan but obv in a tourny all can happen:) what do you think about the list?:)

Hi. That list is what I was thinking to build, maybe an allopex because I love the model... 

Btw, how can you charge on turn 1? Wich enclave are you going to use? I like the regen namarti but cant decide jet... 

8 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Just a heads up, I found these somewhat ineffective on smaller areas of armour. I think they're best on larger flat areas, like stormcast, marines, large models.

I used mine on the wings of a Carmine Dragon, so you could be right.  They look pretty great on that model but I havent really tried it on anything else yet, I cant think of a ton of uses for them that actually look right.

Edit: Multiple layers will build up the effect more.

34 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Just a heads up, I found these somewhat ineffective on smaller areas of armour. I think they're best on larger flat areas, like stormcast, marines, large models.

you think the deepmare's horns or scales will work the same for that?

18 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

you think the deepmare's horns or scales will work the same for that?

They might be. I found  it quite an unwieldy paint, even thinned it behaves differently. I can't see why it wouldn't work on the deepmare, but if you can, airbrush it. By brush I fear you risk losing definition as it's still a rather thick paint. even thinned, the layers required means it builds up.

5 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

They might be. I found  it quite an unwieldy paint, even thinned it behaves differently. I can't see why it wouldn't work on the deepmare, but if you can, airbrush it. By brush I fear you risk losing definition as it's still a rather thick paint. even thinned, the layers required means it builds up.

Okay, wish I had an airbrush then, but hopefully I can still pull something off. My idea was an almost camo look for the mount.

15 hours ago, BillyOcean said:

He's good, but he's no Frostheart Phoenix. I've been thinking about multiples too cos the model is amazing, but I keep coming back to the 7 wounds for 240pts. One time is worth it for the command ability, but I'm not sure it remains efficient on the second copy. I keep coming back to how many more wounds-worth of eels I could buy for the same cost! I guess it might be worth it if you want to build multiple reroll-1s bubbles and are not running Futhan or DomHaim. Or if you are not running an aspect or turtle and need a second model for Duality.

Thank you for the feedback! I guess I will go for the turtle in that case. Its a shame the wounds are so low on the model :(

15 hours ago, Drofnum said:

I think the key to my play with him was to use him aggressively, he was running in right behind my Ishlaen and flanked by Morrsarr, I charged him in thinking he would die but his combat is surprisingly good and he has a great save.  Against Tzeentch or something else casting heavy he might have a hard time surviving but I dont see the concern with his spell range against anything else.  He has the move to get in range if you want him to and you dont need to worry about him being shot, so spells are the only potential issue really.

My thoughts exactly. I'm playing two games today and I'm going to test him further with the teleport spell.

Btw. can Volturnos be picked in the Royal Council?

@Hoseman

about enclave I'm thinking dhom-hain, but fuethán can be good too. 

I can try to charge turn 1 with thralls because with soulscryer ability I  can deploy them 9" away from enemy unit ,and 6" from the board of the table. With the other ability I can chose a unit within 24" from soulscryer and my units ( thralls,soulscryer,soul render ) got +3 to charge into that unit. 

The reason I want soul render and soulscryer is to buff my rituals roll chance. When they are near together I have to roll a 7 for my rituals ( a 6 if near gloomtide) .

most important prey is 1 wound healed for my aspect. It helps to keep him alive!

my aspect got 5+ saves vs mortal / Normal wounds artifact!

@Cookiez,

Yes Volturnos can be taken in the Royal Council as he has the Keyword Akhelion King.

@Everyone,

What allies have people been considering using? The ID have some standout shortcomings, ranged output being one for example, so how are people looking at allies in relation to the army and any thoughts? Has anyone considered running the Alliance of Wood and Sea or played with one or the Ionrach to help buff their allies?

1 hour ago, Auretious Taak said:

What allies have people been considering using? The ID have some standout shortcomings, ranged output being one for example, so how are people looking at allies in relation to the army and any thoughts? Has anyone considered running the Alliance of Wood and Sea or played with one or the Ionrach to help buff their allies?

For now, I'm using Venator, but I'm also considering Tempestors, Relictors, Longstrikes and the SCE horn-dude. Anything with shooting and mortal wounds basicly.

21 hours ago, Jeff Gardiner said:

Trying to get a base order in - Anyone know the sizes of Leviadon, the eels & the sharks?  THANKS!

King is on a 60mm round and Eidolon an 80. Leviadon is a standard flight base. You should be able to work out the ovals with that info.

A6DE5651-204C-4A7A-9D16-CA43A2FE79BD.jpeg

so apparently $110 for the giant turtle when correlated with khradon's kit of equal pounds. Kinda sad we have two $110 kits that either one or the other are almost required for play, but hey at least the giant turtle can do things aside from being a glorified Uber for balloon dorfs.

but for the love of all that is briny how much are the eels?

Still mucking about with lists! Any input?

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin

Leaders
Waywatcher (100)
- Allies
Waywatcher (100)
- Allies
Waywatcher (100)
- Allies
Vulturnos, High King of the Deep (280)
- General
Isharann Soulrender (100)

Battleline
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)
30 x Namarti Thralls (360)

Units
2 x Akhelian Allopexes (280)

Behemoths
Akhelian Leviadon (380)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 300 / 400
Wounds: 114

1 hour ago, BillyOcean said:

I read 30GBP / 50USD for three. Thats going to be an expensive week given I need 6 boxes for my list!

Oh okay, so two boxes would be 100$, and be about half of what I really need for my list of 1,000 points. Darn.

on the plus side though, it would be only 125 after that to complete a 100 point army, and around... 400$ for a 2,000 dollars after that. Blah.

Archived