Legions of Nagash FAQ Compilation Thread.

yarrickson

2 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

That wording doesn’t seem to be in the GHB 2017. And the Legions of Nagash doesn’t have that wording ... it has: 

“4. Allegiance:If a battalion has an allegiance, its can be included in an army that has that allegiance even if some of the units in the battalion are from a different faction. However, its units only benefit from that army’s allegiance abilities if they have the appropriate keyword on their warscroll.”

This is being followed by the references from the GHB 2017:

”An army can have a specific allegiance if all the starting units and warscroll battalions in the army have the keyword for that allegiance...” p. 116 GHB 2017

“WARSCROLL BATTALIONS
When picking your army’s allegiance, all units in a warscroll battalion are considered to have the allegiance noted above the title on the warscroll.” P. 117 GHB 2017

So:

If I choose a “Grand Host of Nagash” Allegiance, and try to bring in a Warscroll Battalion that has “DEATH” as the Allegiance .. do I now have to choose “DEATH” as my Allegiance to get the benefits from the Warscroll Battalion? (Or can one choose the Warscroll Battalion without breaking Allegiance?)

How about a Warscroll Battalion with Allegiance “Legion of Blood”.. The Allegiance Grand Host of Nagash doesn’t have “Legion of Blood” available as an Ally ... and if all of the units in that battalion are considered to have “Legion of Blood” Allegiance does that break the Allegiance?

For most factions and battletomes this isn’t an issue.

Does this help your issue?

Screenshot_20180302-125605.png

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, yarrickson said:

Does this help your issue?

Screenshot_20180302-125605.png

If I have a SOULBLIGHT Army, can I use the battalions where all units have the SOULBLIGHT keyword? (Eg Court of Nulahmia, Castellans of the Crimson Keep) are the points for this battalion taken from my main points or ally points?

If all the units don’t all have the keyword (eg Nightfall Pack), but are on the list of Allies, can it be taken? If so, are those units (and the battalion) pulled from Ally points?

1 hour ago, TheOtherJosh said:

That wording doesn’t seem to be in the GHB 2017. And the Legions of Nagash doesn’t have that wording ... it has: 

“4. Allegiance:If a battalion has an allegiance, its can be included in an army that has that allegiance even if some of the units in the battalion are from a different faction. However, its units only benefit from that army’s allegiance abilities if they have the appropriate keyword on their warscroll.”

This is being followed by the references from the GHB 2017:

”An army can have a specific allegiance if all the starting units and warscroll battalions in the army have the keyword for that allegiance...” p. 116 GHB 2017

“WARSCROLL BATTALIONS
When picking your army’s allegiance, all units in a warscroll battalion are considered to have the allegiance noted above the title on the warscroll.” P. 117 GHB 2017

So:

If I choose a “Grand Host of Nagash” Allegiance, and try to bring in a Warscroll Battalion that has “DEATH” as the Allegiance .. do I now have to choose “DEATH” as my Allegiance to get the benefits from the Warscroll Battalion? (Or can one choose the Warscroll Battalion without breaking Allegiance?)

How about a Warscroll Battalion with Allegiance “Legion of Blood”.. The Allegiance Grand Host of Nagash doesn’t have “Legion of Blood” available as an Ally ... and if all of the units in that battalion are considered to have “Legion of Blood” Allegiance does that break the Allegiance?

For most factions and battletomes this isn’t an issue.

pag. 60, third coloumn, Legions of Nagsh

When you are choosing your army, you may decide it  is taken from one of the legions of Nagash. If you do, choose one of the following faction keywords. All units and warscroll battalions in your army selected from this battletome gain that keyword.

So Death comes to have the legions keyword. The only one you can't is Cohort cause Nagash, as it says the FAQ that has been reported to you .

They can't go to the Soulblight and Death though cause they dnt' have the Keyword Legion of X necessary to play them in it

48 minutes ago, deynon said:

pag. 60, third coloumn, Legions of Nagsh

When you are choosing your army, you may decide it  is taken from one of the legions of Nagash. If you do, choose one of the following faction keywords. All units and warscroll battalions in your army selected from this battletome gain that keyword.

So Death comes to have the legions keyword. The only one you can't is Cohort cause Nagash, as it says the FAQ that has been reported to you .

They can't go to the Soulblight and Death though cause they dnt' have the Keyword Legion of X necessary to play them in it

Ah ha! Missed page 60 and the legions reference! 

Doesn’t help with Soulblight Allegiance. But it answers the “how everything else works” for legions. (And it doesn’t answer the piece that was removed from more recent Battletomes.)

19 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Yeah for me it's old news because it works the exact same in Chaos. In many ways Legion of Blood, Death etc. translates to Khorne, Slaves to Darkness etc. All that is required is to fufill the mandatory slots that are there for the Battalions. The restriction that is there is that certain Legions cannot include a specific named character. Then this prevents the Battalion from being used.

So to awnser your first question. No you do not have to choose Death Allegiance to gain the ability (benifits) from the Warscroll Battalion, provided you can fufill it's mandatory units.

In the case of Legion of Blood Battalions in Grand Host of Nagash, you can use it if you can fufill it's mandatory units. Basically the Allegiance of a Battalion doesn't matter. What matters is the Battalion composition. 

It's because of this that Khorne Allegiance can use:
- Khorne Battalions
- Slaves to Darkness Battalions
- Everchosen Battalions
This is because the many units required for these Battalions also have acces to the Khorne Keyword thus Allegiance.

Grand Allegiance Death can use all these Legion of Nagash Battalions too. 

18 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

If I have a SOULBLIGHT Army, can I use the battalions where all units have the SOULBLIGHT keyword? (Eg Court of Nulahmia, Castellans of the Crimson Keep) are the points for this battalion taken from my main points or ally points?

If all the units don’t all have the keyword (eg Nightfall Pack), but are on the list of Allies, can it be taken? If so, are those units (and the battalion) pulled from Ally points?

The Keywords are secondary. What is required is to fufill the slots in the Battalion, if you can do that you can use the Battalion.
Keep in mind that this still requires you to have Battleline slots filled, check for max ammount of Leaders etc. 

Battalions are not subject Ally rules. However your army is, so there is a cap to costs attached for units that might be required for the Battalion usage.

Multiple grave sites can heal a single unit providing they are in range of them all.  Nothing broken about it just requires forward planning on grave markers and unit placement to get full effects.  The only real daisy chaining you can get is having a character ambush with legion of night then summon afterwards to bring on more units from "ambush".   

One question I have is regarding the coven throne and relics.  How do combat relics work with regard to the hand maidens attacks? Are they part of the main weapon attacks or the mounts attacks?

Ah,  not quite what I was asking. What I was asking, which I think I now understand. Is that each grave site can only heal one unit per hero phase.

And what I mean my by daisy chaining, is the effect of placing returned in a continued string from their parent unit. 

As an example, a unit of 10 skeletons heals back 11 models. When placing these, the rules seem to imply these are all placed simultaneously however you like, which could mean placing the first within 1” coherency, and the next within 1” of the last placed model and so on. In effect stretching out a unit a considerable distance. Aside from this looking and feeling a little wrong on account that the returned models could end up being placed outside of the gravesites 9” bubble. This could also be used for example to pin another unit into combat, which might otherwise have been safe.

Make sense?

On 10/03/2018 at 5:17 PM, warhammernerd said:

Ah,  not quite what I was asking. What I was asking, which I think I now understand. Is that each grave site can only heal one unit per hero phase.

And what I mean my by daisy chaining, is the effect of placing returned in a continued string from their parent unit. 

As an example, a unit of 10 skeletons heals back 11 models. When placing these, the rules seem to imply these are all placed simultaneously however you like, which could mean placing the first within 1” coherency, and the next within 1” of the last placed model and so on. In effect stretching out a unit a considerable distance. Aside from this looking and feeling a little wrong on account that the returned models could end up being placed outside of the gravesites 9” bubble. This could also be used for example to pin another unit into combat, which might otherwise have been safe.

Make sense?

Yup, know exactly what you're saying.  Equally you could use DI/Gravesites to chain out a unit so that it's in range of a Gravesite/Hero that it wasn't previously (or equally an objective).  My own theory is that common sense and fair play needs to be used a bit, if you're placing models 12"+ away from the original unit, then you're likely taking the mickey, but resurrecting models to tap a unit that is nearby in combat, then all well and good.  That said I really dislike seeing units with "tails", I think I've done it once whilst playing and felt particularly dirty and never done it since xD

Can someone help me clarify how the saves go for First Cohort? I was under the impression that Nagash goes for his normal save, then the 4+ for mortals, then the 6+ from deathless minions, then he can pass with a 3+ and then the angels do their 4+,5+ and 6+. is this correct? there's a player in my area that is adamant that "special saves" (basically every extra save other than the regular ones) can't be applied if you want to pass the wounds since you either allocate the wound to one model or another, and those saves come after allocation. Hope I made myself clear!

50 minutes ago, smucreo said:

Can someone help me clarify how the saves go for First Cohort? I was under the impression that Nagash goes for his normal save, then the 4+ for mortals, then the 6+ from deathless minions, then he can pass with a 3+ and then the angels do their 4+,5+ and 6+. is this correct? there's a player in my area that is adamant that "special saves" (basically every extra save other than the regular ones) can't be applied if you want to pass the wounds since you either allocate the wound to one model or another, and those saves come after allocation. Hope I made myself clear!

Well, Nagash wouldn't get his normal save against a mortal wound.  There also isn't a set sequence.  Because all the mortal wound prevention abilities trigger at the same time, the player chooses the order in which to execute them (optimally you will choose Morikhane → Deathless → First cohort → eben armor → deathless).  You can refer your opponent to the latest death FAQ, it references this scenario.  

Great, thanks. I did but he points me to the FAQ that points out that you have to allocate wounds to a model before using special saving throws, so that way once you allocate the wound to one model you can't redirect it to another.

37 minutes ago, smucreo said:

Great, thanks. I did but he points me to the FAQ that points out that you have to allocate wounds to a model before using special saving throws, so that way once you allocate the wound to one model you can't redirect it to another.

The Necromancers save states that it happens before allocating a wound to the necromancer. In which case he would be right. The First Cohort on the other hand states that "each time a wound or mortal wound is allocated to Nagash".  In this case it happens at the same time as Morikhane and Deathless Minion, and you as the controlling player get to control the order.

Point him to the wording in first cohort that says you allocate the wound to a different unit, therefore any abilities that trigger upon allocation are activated.  He really has no leg to stand on here.  Point me to the specific FAQ he is referencing and I'll be happy to explain that too.  

4 hours ago, smucreo said:

Just to point out that the Morghasts will never get their 4+ in this sequence. Saves happen before damage multiplication and wound allocation. All our damage prevention abilities happen after, but simultaneously (so you choose the order).

Wounds that allow saves that target Nagash will follow the order of: Nagash Save -> Nagash DM -> First Cohort -> Morghast DM

Mortal Wounds that target Nagash will follow the order of Morikhane <-> Nagash DM (can start and end with either) -> First Cohort -> Ebon Armor <-> Morghast DM (can start and end with either).

On 13/03/2018 at 8:26 AM, RuneBrush said:

Yup, know exactly what you're saying.  Equally you could use DI/Gravesites to chain out a unit so that it's in range of a Gravesite/Hero that it wasn't previously (or equally an objective).  My own theory is that common sense and fair play needs to be used a bit, if you're placing models 12"+ away from the original unit, then you're likely taking the mickey, but resurrecting models to tap a unit that is nearby in combat, then all well and good.  That said I really dislike seeing units with "tails", I think I've done it once whilst playing and felt particularly dirty and never done it since xD

So, the ruling is, you can but you shouldn’t. THAT is a problem IMO. Cos it’s fairly obvious to see that in a tight spot people will likely push for that advantage. And then are they to blame? This needs sorting.

1 hour ago, warhammernerd said:

So, the ruling is, you can but you shouldn’t. THAT is a problem IMO. Cos it’s fairly obvious to see that in a tight spot people will likely push for that advantage. And then are they to blame? This needs sorting.

Fair point, but at least imho it should be sorted out for all factions. Demons use the good old chaining with their banners as well to affect multiple units.

Personally I usually deceide how "nasty" I rape the rules depending on my enemy. If my enemy is a stickler to the rules and less oriented for a fun and relaxing game, I do so too. But if my enemy is not that kind of player, I prefer to play "fluffy" and try not to abuse things so heavy.

On 19/03/2018 at 9:54 AM, Arael_Greywings said:

Fair point, but at least imho it should be sorted out for all factions. Demons use the good old chaining with their banners as well to affect multiple units.

Personally I usually deceide how "nasty" I rape the rules depending on my enemy. If my enemy is a stickler to the rules and less oriented for a fun and relaxing game, I do so too. But if my enemy is not that kind of player, I prefer to play "fluffy" and try not to abuse things so heavy.

Agree. Can we pretty pls stop using the word rape when talking about gaming? Little bit toxic. X also, might have something to do with male domianted scene...

sorry, just really grates me. Nothing personal. 

While it may annoy you I don't think language policing is the way to go. I find your behaviour (while good-hearted, I'm sure) grating myself, but I wouldn't censor you from using certain words or saying stuff like the male dominated thing. I'd just avoid doing the same thing myself. 

That being said I also don't believe this is the place to talk about this since this forum has an express purpose and it's not discussing this kind of stuff, so I'll avoid commenting on it any further.

19 hours ago, warhammernerd said:

Agree. Can we pretty pls stop using the word rape when talking about gaming? Little bit toxic. X also, might have something to do with male domianted scene...

sorry, just really grates me. Nothing personal. 

No offense taken mate (also didn't want to cause any)^^ Next time I'll brit out on you and go like "****** the rules from behind Legion of Night-Style" ;)

Edit: Ok, "Rape" is ok but any word that goes close to intercourse triggers the swear filter *laughs*

Archived