Legions of Nagash: Legion of Night Preview!

TheKingInYellow

11 minutes ago, Aginor said:

What I meant is that the Legion bonus seems to only apply to Deathrattle units.

But you are right: maybe Ghosts play a bigger role than it looks like to me.

Do you mean Legion of Night specifically or all of them? Because we haven't seen all of the legion bonuses I think.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I would love to start death, just 1 new model for now don't think it's worth it.

Think Legions of Nagash will be great for players with a death collection already, but not very tempting for me, trying to start a collection... Just a look at those zombies and my will is gone...

Well it’s 1 new model but at least (in a sense) another 4 new units in the Palaquin, VLoZD character and the (rumoured) ability to swap the weapons on the Morghast (not technically new units but new options). There might be more in there in terms of options we don’t know about. However, can’t rule out more stuff coming later on this year.

3 minutes ago, stickybluetoffee said:

Well it’s 1 new model but at least (in a sense) another 4 new units in the Palaquin, VLoZD character and the (rumoured) ability to swap the weapons on the Morghast (not technically new units but new options). There might be more in there in terms of options we don’t know about. However, can’t rule out more stuff coming later on this year.

1 minute ago, Mikeymajq said:

The zombies are probably one of the ugliest models in AoS. 

But the rest looks good. Skellies and nighthaunt in particular. 

Think I'm going to wait a while. Really like the KoS, maybe I'll use some regular skelies has grave guard...

Mannfreds legion has some interesting tactics going on. I don't know what is exactly 'underhanded' about this. All of stormcast can deep strike better and get +1 save all day long - so I guess Sigmar is the most underhanded army of them all?

A lot of this reminds me of what I've been playing lately with FEC - Ghoul Patrol + 'Defenders of the Realm'. First of all, your opponent is going to block you way, way out of popping up behind them. If they don't, then they are honestly not a smart player, so charging them with a ton of Morghasts and winning right away is not much of an accomplishment. In most cases, what this new ability does is take some unit you want to pop on the board and sticks them way off to the side of the table edge. Then you are hoping for a long charge. If you take first turn and pop a couple zombie dragons on the table edge, what you get is a failed charge and sitting though two turns of your opponent ripping you apart. In the case of Morghasts - in most situations you got them charging, doing some damage then getting killed, and since you are stuck on the side of the board its going to be difficult for them to earn their points.

Then there is this:

"You could hold a unit in reserve for the entire game to swoop onto a key objective at the last minute"

No actually, most objectives are at least 9" from the table edge and you need to be within 3", so legally you cannot capture an objective this way.

As far as +1 save for Deathrattle, this is very nice for your small units of objective-holding skeletons, but thats about it. Its not going to help a whole lot when you get charged by mortal wounding bloodletters or Retributors first turn. I guess you could play chicken with your opponent and hope they come to you. This strategy works amazing for an army like Free Peoples who can barrage you with shooting turn after turn without moving much, but not so much for a death player who needs to get into enemy territory and start killing things in order to move. It has potential, however if we get a lot of awesome spells and can sit back and barrage our opponents unless they come at us to break our skeleton lines, but this has never been an optional play style for death so I have no idea.

Note that some battleplans have very small 'territories' (Duality of Death). Its not a big deal but potentially can ruin your plans.

Re-rolling battleshock is nice when you get a bad battleshock and get that pesky 5 or 6. 

Getting +1 attack when the general kills something could be a big deal, but it seems like you really have to stick your generals neck out for this. A lot of times with Death Heroes we are taking things like a VLoZD so that is not unusual. having him attack first and give skeletons another attack, or give a Terrogheist a 4th maw attack, could be huge.

Casting behind a skeleton wall seems very viable with the +2 to cast artifact, but its a big tradeoff to the +6" that Arkhan has. We will have to see the spells and their ranges to figure out which is more viable, but right now I'm thinking the +1 save and re-roll battleshock is not a big deal since they are potentially coming back at 6D3 anyway, so the option to hit your opponent with a lot of nasty spells turn 1 is more potent.  

All together this makes for some interesting options and a lot to play with, but it makes me think that the other allegiances have a lot more going on then we know about yet. We will have to wait and see..

8 hours ago, stickybluetoffee said:

Good if the Morghast keep their 3d6 charge.

They do, and they can pick either weapon now, but they are no longer a summonable unit. They get +1 attack in Nagash legion. Seems like the halberd will be good for that, maybe the swords in Mannfreds legion. If you want to take a bunch of them and have everything in your opponents face turn one, that seems okay, but the unit is not all that amazing where we are talking some broken tactic that is going to win you a lot of games. If you are taking 3 units of 

7 hours ago, shinros said:

Pretty much don't expect any new models with this tome if we were going to get some they would of shown it by now. 

Local GW manager said he saw a "new black coach and its awesome". I asked where and he said "Its not public". So anything could happen, but its not likely something with the new book. 

5 hours ago, Sception said:

Entirely the opposite, actually.  Necromancer's signature spell now targets 'summonable' units, and so can no longer be cast on any FEC stuff (or TK stuff, but at least they still have their liche priests).  Access to the new lore of vampires is restricted to 'soublight' wizards, not 'vampire' wizards, so FEC don't get access to that, either.  From what we can tell, nothing in FEC gets the summonable keyword, so they won't work with deathly invocation or the new gravesites, almost none of the previewed command abilities, traits, or artefacts work with FEC (exception being the new named vamp lord on dragon, he can let any other death hero fight in the hero phase), none of the formations use FEC.

This book seems intent on driving a heavy wedge between 'generalist death' and FEC or TK, and given how much FEC in particular leaned on those synergies, they'll really be hurting for a new book sooner rather than later.  Fingers crossed, I guess.

FEC already got severed with very few allies in the GH. They are still Death, so basic synergy still applies. If Ghouls are listed in the book as a summonable unit, then  that fixes the issue of Necro synergy which should leave FEC right where they are. I don't see them getting a new book so the army is likely going to be overshadowed by this new release. You can still use a lot of the units in this new book, but the only thing i can verify is Tgheist/Zdragon. You could use Ghoul Kings as Vampire Lord proxies.

3 hours ago, Jamopower said:

So it seems that the summoning works so, that you need to have a character within 9" of the gravesite you are using for summoning. So it's bit less flexible than what I thought before. Not so much summoning stuff behind enemy lines, but more of summoning stuff to support your hero. Well, it still sounds quite nice.

They haven't officially said that? They just said you can use gravesites to summon units. they haven't say how yet. The did mention summoing a unit of 60 zombies, which is the main problem with summoning now is you cant do that (you can summon 10 maybe 20). Regardless, 9" is all the room you need. a 9" bubble would allow you to summon 18" forward from deployment, which is 6" from enemy units in most cases, so already you are too close. The main issue if it says something like "place the unit wholly within 9 of the gravesite"  which would cause a lot of fiddling and give the opponent a lot of opportunity to ****** over your summoning. If they simply say "within 9" that gives us room to conga all over the board and do some crazy shenanigans with our hordes. 

2 hours ago, Elmir said:

If you still get the traditional 18" range to drop your summoned unit (away from the hero summoning it), it could work wonders... Especially with fast flying heroes like vampires or the deepstriking trick. 

heroes and vampires are not summonable. Only Skeletons, Grave Guard and Hosts known at the moment. Morghasts and monsters are not.

New scrolls up on the New Zealand page. Seems like Zombies lost Shambling Horde and the Corpse Cart now has different effects according to what it carries; with the unholy ludestone it adds +1 to cast to friendly casters and allows you to re-roll deathly incantation rolls, and with the balefire brazier you give enemy wizards -1 to cast and deal 1 MW to them on a 4+.

EDIT: Oh and zombies now hit/wound on 5+ and they get their to hit/to wound bonus at 20 and 40 models, as well as a +1 to hit if close to a Corpse Cart like they did before.

Tome up for pre-order on the New Zealand site:

- 33 Warscrolls, covering every miniature in the Legions of Nagash faction;

I only saw 21 (not including the Knight of Shrowds)

Zombies makes 22:
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG Zombies.pdf 
-nerfed, summonable

Corpse Cart makes 23:
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG Corpse Cart with Unholy Lodestone.pdf
- Improved, really hope it doesn't come with a point increase

Totally seperate corpse cart makes 24
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG Corpse Cart with Balefire Brazier.pdf

I did not see VLoZD (25) dire wolves (26) Mourngul (27) black coach (28) Hex (29) Banshee (30) Bats (31) Coven Throne (32) Fell bats (33)

That leaves no room for ghouls or anything from FEC. Its possible Mourngul is not included, in which case the Sepulchral Guard might show up, or the Knight of Shrouds. 

13 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

@WoollyMammoth Sigmar is 6" from the objective. 3" is 40k. 

currently 3 of the battleplans are 6" three are 3". In Knife to the heart its 12" from any table edge so that doesn't work, maybe battle for the pass. so that is 4 or 5 out of the 6 battleplans where this concept of appearing on the objective is not possible. 

I wouldn't necessarily call Zombies nerfed now, especially without knowing the points costs. They are 5+/5+ by default now instead of 6+/6+, so effectively they are getting +1/2/3 to hit and wound at 1, 20 and 40 models now instead of 10, 20, and 30. Loss of shambling horde is a thing, I guess, but not that big of a deal. It's most relevant if you are running a couple of min sized units and want to merge them into something slightly more effective, but at that point I'd rather run 3x5 dire wolves.

The fact that corpse carts are maybe not utter garbage now (depending on points, of course) is also a  net gain for zombies. 

EDIT:  Blood Knights are still showing up as the old warscroll. Not sure what to make of that.

31 minutes ago, WoollyMammoth said:

currently 3 of the battleplans are 6" three are 3". In Knife to the heart its 12" from any table edge so that doesn't work, maybe battle for the pass. so that is 4 or 5 out of the 6 battleplans where this concept of appearing on the objective is not possible. 

So we were both wrong! NEUTRALITY!

I like what they are doing with this BT - huge amount of options, it will took some time to find the most optimal build and there could be few very strong builds. I am happy for Death players and envy them at them same time :D becasue I love how many options there seem to be. 

Can't wait to play against them luckily two very good players in my group are starting Death so fun times are coming for my Sylvaneth and Daughters of Khaine. 

Sad about the loss of mobbing up for zombies.  Was the main reason to run them, and the +1 to hit is cancelled by losing the third +1 they used to get.  Unless they see a points drop, im not sure how theyll see much play, and they're already about as cheap as they can reasonably be.

I'm not sure where to put this, so might as well throw it here, as it's the most recent topic:
What is the reason hidden behind the new Nighthaunt Spirit Host box?
It's SC Malignants and Knight of Shrouds, which does make some sense (Mortis Engine still not being Nighthaunt lol) BUT there's a... Terrorgheist there. ANY idea why?
Beasts of the grave suddenly turned ghostly? 

6 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

Well I’m running VLoZD, mannfred as general, bloodseeker palanquinn and then fill up on skeletons and vargheist. Will be very interesting to see possible new points value?

Thats what I plan to do as well and throw in a couple of blood Knights.

Will the black knights be sumonable as well?  I  am considering getting some.

Archived