Legions of Nagash: The Legion of Sacrament

RuneBrush

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Peegee said:

It seems to be an unmodified roll of 9+ for the Locus... which is kind of a bummer. 

What makes you say that? The preview makes it seem otherwise:

Cast any spell from any lore on a 9+, and you get to resolve the effect twice – easy enough for Nagash with his +3 bonus to casting, or a nearby Mortis Engine and Corpse Cart with Balefire Brazier boosting your other Wizards’ abilities.

They changed the text in the preview on Warhammer-Community :

Whichever Lore of the Dead you’re using, you’ll benefit from the Locus of Shyish. Cast any spell from any lore on an unmodified casting roll of 9+, and you get to resolve the effect twice – particularly useful for spells such as Soul Harvest, a spell that draws the life of nearby foes towards the caster:

Goes from a reliable mechanic you could build around to a lucky bonus with about the same chance of happening regardless of whether you build for it or not.

Honestly, it might have been too good the other way, mortal wound spam is already a problem in this game and I'd rather our army didn't add significantly to that particular problem, but the ability is a lot less interesting now, as it doesn't contribute to build variety the same way.

It would have been too good... Let's face it.I want a good book, not a blatently OP one.

Do you reckon Soul Harvest range would become 9" when using Arkhan's command ability? That sure sounds like a super combo with him then (especially with the size of his base  and his flying skill. 

I really like the sound of this allegiance - I always ran a magic focused Undead army in Fantasy and depending what units are available I should be able to do something similar with the new battletome.

I really hope FEC get access to the spell lores - through Death Keyword. At least they will have some new toys to play with. 

I'm not sure how competitive it is but i'm less and less interested in competitive play anyway - All this new stuff is way more exciting if you're not worried about how it affects the competive scene. I doubt I'm going to make much progress with my Death models anyway with Daughters of Khaine being announced...

I hope all the tournament death players get what they need out of the book though. The more armies that can compete at the top tables, the better.

2 minutes ago, Elmir said:

It would have been too good... Let's face it.I want a good book, not a blatently OP one.

Do you reckon Soul Harvest range would become 9" when using Arkhan's command ability? That sure sounds like a super combo with him then (especially with the size of his base  and his flying skill. 

well, do remember that you're supposed to measure from the model itself, not from its base.  :P

But yeah, the spell is Much better under the effect of his command ability.  Same with the other previewed spell, although to a lesser extent.  Even if LoS gets command traits (and I don't see why they wouldn't), I still expect that any army built on maximizing our faction's spellcasting abilities will still probably get more out of Arkhan as their general, even without a trait.  Expecially if there are any other 'all units in X inches' spells in these lores, whether friendly or enemy.

5 minutes ago, Sception said:

Goes from a reliable mechanic you could build around to a lucky bonus with about the same chance of happening regardless of whether you build for it or not.

Honestly, it might have been too good the other way, mortal wound spam is already a problem in this game and I'd rather our army didn't add significantly to that particular problem, but the ability is a lot less interesting now, as it doesn't contribute to build variety the same way.

2 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Community team are a bit like the rest of us mis-read odd bits :D  Can't fault that they fix them though

It probably was too good but for a second I thought we got some Destiny Dice level broken lovin.

I think FEC might be hit even further with the changes in this book... It wasn't very competitve to begin with, but that might be reduced even more. 

Unless an abhorrent can take a vampire lore spell and they buff units through the generic Death keyword. The biggest hit FEC takes however, is in the fact that Vanhell's has been changed to only work on summonable units and I doubt FEC is going to get those keywords added to them. 

37 minutes ago, Peegee said:

They changed the text in the preview on Warhammer-Community :

Whichever Lore of the Dead you’re using, you’ll benefit from the Locus of Shyish. Cast any spell from any lore on an unmodified casting roll of 9+, and you get to resolve the effect twice – particularly useful for spells such as Soul Harvest, a spell that draws the life of nearby foes towards the caster:

Dashed my hopes quite expertly, GW

FEC (and TK) are hit horribly by this, yes.  Vanhels was a big deal for them, and they lose it.  And the new spell lores are worded to be available by keyword to deathmage, deathlord, and soulblight wizards, so neither FEC nor TK units get to use them, so there isn't even compensation there.

Hopefully FEC get a new battle tome in the not too distant future, but for the moment they're in a very bad place.  While TK.... sadly, TK are destined for the dust bin of time, and can only expect to fade further with every passing release.  Really, their only hope is that we see new Death models for Deathrattle or otherwise covering TK unit concepts, such that eventually their army can be run counts-as with current rules and an assurance of future support, rather than relying on holdover rules.  It wouldn't take much, already we could say:(spoiler for off topic)

Spoiler
  • skeleton legionairs -> skeleton warriors
  • tomb guard -> grave guard
  • tomb kings/heralds -> wight kings
  • liche priest -> necromancer or possible future deathrattle wizard
  • necrosphynx -> unridden zombie dragon?

To retire the old TK rules entirely and switch to a counts as system letting them access current rules, all we'd need to see are two big releases:

1. an expansion to deathrattle (archers, war machine, chariots, skeletal mammoth or the like with options for grave guard howda or wight king rider, maybe or maybe not light cavalry).  This would allow Desert Legions to be retired in favor of using up-to-date deathrattle rules.
  2. either a new faction or an expansion to deathmages putting necromancer engineers in charge of a range of experimental undead magitech abominations (monstrous infantry, monstrous cavalry, undead giants, maybe a static necromantic war-machine that would operate like a casket of souls).  This would allow liche stuff and reanimants to be retired in favor of using up-to-date deathmage rules.

Make those two allies, and TK altogether could be retired outright except as a list of what counts as what, and tomb king players could have current rules with a guarantee of future support.

I'd just like to note how happy I am with the spells and abilities; really, they were exactly what I was looking for! Especially the Purple Sun of Xer-I mean, Amythest Orb. I personally ran a really magic heavy army in WHFB, so I love the prospect of unleashing our full Magical arsenal upon my enemy. It really makes me love Arkhan more, almost to the point of rivaling Neferata as my favorite Mortarch.

Also, I would like to note that we have only seen the spells fron the Lore of Deathmages, and as any VC players know, Death was mainly a lore that focused on short range offensive spells. If Deathmages is mostly offensive, I wouldn't be surprised to see that the Lore of the Vampires is based around support.

Also, this reveal also did a lot to alleviate my fears when it comes to Chatacters and their surviability, thanks to the Morghast Shield and Bracelets. So far, I'm really digging this one.

6 minutes ago, Undeadly said:

I'd just like to note how happy I am with the spells and abilities; really, they were exactly what I was looking for! Especially the Purple Sun of Xer-I mean, Amythest Orb. I personally ran a really magic heavy army in WHFB, so I love the prospect of unleashing our full Magical arsenal upon my enemy. It really makes me love Arkhan more, almost to the point of rivaling Neferata as my favorite Mortarch.

Also, I would like to note that we have only seen the spells fron the Lore of Deathmages, and as any VC players know, Death was mainly a lore that focused on short range offensive spells. If Deathmages is mostly offensive, I wouldn't be surprised to see that the Lore of the Vampires is based around support.

Also, this reveal also did a lot to alleviate my fears when it comes to Chatacters and their surviability, thanks to the Morghast Shield and Bracelets. So far, I'm really digging this one.

The Orb is a Lore of Vampires spell. (Also it does not seem much like the Purple Sun.)

The problem is that a lot of the range really wasn't made for rounds.  GW doesn't have a single round or oval base that looks good on morghasts, for instance.  Plus squares transport, store, deploy, and move easier thanks to magnetized unit trays, which mostly aren't available in rounds.

8 minutes ago, Sception said:

The problem is that a lot of the range really wasn't made for rounds.  GW doesn't have a single round or oval base that looks good on morghasts, for instance.  Plus squares transport, store, deploy, and move easier thanks to magnetized unit trays, which mostly aren't available in rounds.

Hmmm, I actually think the opposite, a lot of the range that stems from End Times actually looks a whole lot better on round bases. Most certainly including the Morghast who are used for a whole lot of conversion in 40k also (Daemon Princes). 

More and more movement trays are available, I can highly recommend Kromlech's. At the same time I also think that the game itself has become vastly more interesting in unit tactical dimension because of the round bases. 

To each it's own though, I get where you are comming from somewhat and do indeed also think some of the older models (comming from 6th) look better on square bases. 

morghasts are very long, and not especially wide.  They might work on an oval base, but all the oval bases so far are either too large or not wide enough.  Circle bases, though, are either much too wide or not long enough.  based on observing other people's models, the body of a morghast often ends up hanging way over the edge of the 50mm rounds they're supposed to be on now, making them floppy & tipsy, aesthetically displeasing, and awkward when you try to play based on measurement to bases, because it's difficult to make contact with the front of their base due to how far over the edge their legs dangle.

8 minutes ago, Killax said:

Hmmm, I actually think the opposite, a lot of the range that stems from End Times actually looks a whole lot better on round bases. Most certainly including the Morghast who are used for a whole lot of conversion in 40k also (Daemon Princes). 

More and more movement trays are available, I can highly recommend Kromlech's. At the same time I also think that the game itself has become vastly more interesting in unit tactical dimension because of the round bases. 

To each it's own though, I get where you are comming from somewhat and do indeed also think some of the older models (comming from 6th) look better on square bases. 

Yea, this is one of the changes to AOS that I have been most presently surprised with.  I have loved the rounds and honestly can not think of a model I have rebased that does not look better on the rounds.  Just rebased a VLoZD and man he is sexy on his new round.

Archived