The best sets for conversions

flemingmma

54 minutes ago, flemingmma said:

Fair nuff, On a more specific note, which is the best empire set for bits?

Hands down the flagellant kit, it has loads of little bits and bobs in it, from bottles, too scrolls and the mandatory skull charm.

On top of that you can make the kit into pretty much anything from wizards to warrior priests, or perhaps just something boring like flagellants.

I'd say the Great sword kit has the best head/face options though.

Before i say mine, just wanted to say about the forsaken. 

The bits were nice, so were the mutations, i just think that next to the chaos warriors they looked a little... goofy on some of them. Much like the old chaos space marine mutations. But even still, nice little thing to pick up for something that looks a little weird ;p

Sets for sheer amounts of bits i would probably give to the savage orruks, just cause it can make regular savage orruks, morboys, arrow boys, and big stabba's, and then have a lot of spare bits of what didn't get used. 

As for best to convert, i'm going biased and throwing out the ogors. Whether on foot, on beasts, or monsters, all the ogor parts work on the ogor models. You can literally make individual characters in the army outside of heroes, and for small armies that's a pretty interesting thing to have. They might not have the best of poses (2 for the foot, and riders are pretty much 1), but when you can change out arms, weapons, heads, gut plates, all before adding on any optional bits. I think they are a great kit/race ^^

To me, the best box for conversions is the 'Ardboys. Really, it is so easy to convert about anything that needs plate armour, or just generic parts of armour. I have given Marauders, Beastmen, Ogors, any kind of mercenaries, even Grots and of course the occasional regular Greenskin pieces of armour, it`s just incredible. The elbowplates of the arms look fantastic as shoulderprotection and the regular shoulderplate fits even an Ogor and looks good. The best thing about the elbowplate: there is soooo many leftover arms in the box, you`ll have a decent amount of armour and weaponry left over.

Small example - this whole team of Underworld Gobbos and Skaven got the elbowprotectors as shoulderplates, to give them a more sportfocused look and to visually connect them: http://www.chaosbunker.de/?p=13716&lang=en

57 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

I have to give it to the blightkings. One box gives you so much potential to convert std units to nurgle.

A lot of kits do have their merit though. I am resisting starting DoK but their units look mighty tempting for dark eldar...

I'm actually trying to turn the cheap plague marines into blightkings at the moment 

1 hour ago, aquenaton said:

Not with actual experience, but the Lord of Plagues is one of the most converted mini ever, so at least it deserves a mention.

From 40k, the Chaos Cultists have also been used for many projects.

The amount of blanchitsu projects that use the lord of plagues is almost comical

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 on the wizzards.

The Empire general, too, if you do something involving humans or death for the icon alone.

They won't break the bank compared to newer kits, either.

Flagellants, flagellants, flagellants, more crazed heads and multi-purpose bare arms than you can shake a stick at.

Most of my go to kits were mentioned already, especially Blight Kings, scourges, ghouls and Neophytes who are IMO the best regular size human plastics from GW right now. Skitarii if you need steampunk guns or hooded heads. Some techy schallers, too, if one needs steampunk knights.

An old mainstay kit that can still look good but only with a bit of work are zombies. You can build a metric ton out of the box, but a lot of the heads are subpar, the grabbing hands are gigantic on newer humanoids - and who knows what they were thinking with the cape! With a box of zombies and a box of ghouls you can make some great looking, properly shuffling zombies. 

Wulfen are a good box to loot for everything Nordic and rune-covered, if cutting scifi bits is okay.

• 4 months later...

If you love Aelves as I do, the Glade Guard Box has an insane amount of heads, particularly hooded heads with Facemasks but also the heads which have a half-helmet. In addition to that there are several Swords, 4 little horned skulls, some sort of twigs or roots, Leaves and small Lizzards sitting on Rocks or Skulls.
Most important obviously are several Bows, some are attached to arms already but at least two bows are free. 

Plague Monks sprue -. with two boxes you can build Monks, Censer Bearers (ok, you will need some additional bits - not enough censers) and even Plague Priest! And you will still have 32 leftover rats for basing. Add rats from Doomwheel set and you will have a full unit of Giant Rats!

5 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

If you love Aelves as I do, the Glade Guard Box has an insane amount of heads, particularly hooded heads with Facemasks but also the heads which have a half-helmet. In addition to that there are several Swords, 4 little horned skulls, some sort of twigs or roots, Leaves and small Lizzards sitting on Rocks or Skulls.
Most important obviously are several Bows, some are attached to arms already but at least two bows are free. 

Seconding this, that kit just keeps on giving, so many extra heads. Sisters of Thorn/Wild riders also has some neat bits for Aelves, albeit fewer of them.

If they could just do a sprue with the muttaions from the forsaken kit they would make a fortune, just from me buying a pack a week until my bank questions my purchases...

Other very good kits which offer up a lot of bits are-

Flagellents, very nice kits, with bodies and heads that go with a great many other kit with little conversion needed, great for cultists, sorcerer cabals, wizard apprentices, more human-like ghouls. Peasent rabble, with some work you can also make zombies from them. Speaking  of zombies, the heads also work a treat as replacment for zombie heads which are very bulbous, i like chopping them and reworking them gs, and drill8ng out the eye. 

Dryads, apart from amking good mutants bits, I’ve found dryad arms and branches invaluable in many conversion. To basing or if i need to snip some to make teeth or spikes.

Skeletons, apart from being full of skulls and skeleton torsos it also has a great amount of shields, banners and some other nifty bits. Again great for adding details and basing.

Chaos Spawn have many bits, lots of extra tentacles arms and spikes.

Gargant/Giant full of lots and lots of extra bits, barrells, cages and of course the running man(was it Johan?)

Putrid Blightkings. i managed to make 10 from a box with some gs and the odd extra bit. And still had bits left over.

Archived