The best sets for conversions

flemingmma

Which are the sets that have the most bits, the best poses and are otherwise great for converting stuff?

The storm of sigmar box actually gets an honorable mention from me I've made a tomb king, a knight questor, a lord relictor and a knight vexillor from the easy to build models and bits i had lying around

The Ironjawz Brutes come with a lot of great spare parts that you can use for pretty much anything. As long as you're not going for a sorta perfect, clean golden armour look. Anything scavengy will benefit greatly from adding stuff from their sprue :)

More specific to my own uses: Acolyte hybrids from the Genestealer Cults are a great source of Skaven convertion material. Same with Flesh Eater Courts ghouls which I use as a source of bodyparts whenever I need an arm or a leg. 

Harlequinns and Dark Eldar Wyches are also great for making 'dynamic' character poses. Mostly fit Aelves, but I'm sure you could find other uses. 

Skitaarii rangers is also a box filled to the brim with usefull stuff. Their bodies alone makes for a great steampunky look if you combine it with any of the AOS stuff. I made a few Dark Aelf Shades that way using Wych cult heads, the Skitaarii bodies, and crossbows - to make a sorta "sky pirate" look. Then they released Kharadron Overlords and I was really sad I couldn't transport my Aelves in their ships :(

Notable additions: Neophyte Hybrids (Also from Genestealer Cults) could work really well as the bodies of human sky pirates/sailors, since their clothing matches the Arkanauts pretty well.

That's all I can think off off the top of my head.

I really, really, really love the kairic acolyte box. Quite biased as it's the base of a project I wanted to do for a long time. But the posing is amazing, love a lot of the details. 

Another unit i'm looking forward to are the witch elves and the Drukhari. But again haven't used them yet, but they both have something unique in the posing that not a lot of units have. Some style, and arrogance. 

The Shadows over Hammerhal is stuffed full of great kits to covert from, covering the main Chaos gods

Personally, I also always have spares from a Chaos Maurader box lying around, as they work for many generic humans. They're also likely to get replaced soon with the new aesthetics of the Darkoath Queen

27 minutes ago, Lucio said:

The Shadows over Hammerhal is stuffed full of great kits to covert from, covering the main Chaos gods

Personally, I also always have spares from a Chaos Maurader box lying around, as they work for many generic humans. They're also likely to get replaced soon with the new aesthetics of the Darkoath Queen

I've had my eye on the marauders box for a while, I'll think about picking it up.

How is the Dreadspears box? Or the empire guard or crossbowmen?

I really like the old Forsaken kit for chaos. Shame it was discontinued, but I guess sales were poor due to the unit's sucky rules for 8th ed WFB. There were a whole host of awesome bits in there to customise your chaos army. The Slaves to Darkness range as a whole is great for conversions, but the Marauder horsemen box is great from a sheer range of options perspective, and has so many heads that you can comfortably "fix" the goofy heads on the foot sloggers by using the spares.

28 minutes ago, AGPO said:

I really like the old Forsaken kit for chaos. Shame it was discontinued, but I guess sales were poor due to the unit's sucky rules for 8th ed WFB. There were a whole host of awesome bits in there to customise your chaos army. The Slaves to Darkness range as a whole is great for conversions, but the Marauder horsemen box is great from a sheer range of options perspective, and has so many heads that you can comfortably "fix" the goofy heads on the foot sloggers by using the spares.

But it looked so bad man... I really love mutation bits and stuff but the Forsaken kit was just aweful to me. I think GW discontinued it not because of age but because of sheer dislike of the actual product.

image.png.f5730280b8e43f16f37561d27e47637e.png

If you want to have those mutation options both Skullreapers and Blightking boxes offer much better detail, much more useful parts and in general look way more dynamic. One of the things with the Slaves to Darkness range is that it certainly is starting to show it's age more and more as the years go on. It's certainly not the worst but you can clearly see how resticted their design was by forcefully being required to fit onto a 25mm base. 

But I think the Darkoath spells a really good future for at least the Marauder lines :) Where I agree is that the Marauder Horsemen look great!

Have to agree to differ on the Forsaken @Killax, although I think they're one of a lot of units that suffered from having to be ranked up. Once you get them on to round bases and pose them a tad more dynamically they look great IMO, and can be used with the knights torsos to make some much improved chaos warriors.

The one bit of the S2D range I'm really not keen on is the warriors kit. Way too static and identikit to represent the chosen soldiers of Chaos. When I get round to doing some more I'll be kitbashing Knights, Blood Warriors and the last of my Forsaken.

Avatars of war have some boxed plastic units that look to have some really interesting parts. I have the great weapon corrupters of the apocalypse which was full of good stuff, especially if you're not looking to make the unit itself but just use the parts.

Ogre Ironblaster/Scraplauncher, Stegadon, and Screaming Bell are a few with some odds/ends from parts that get unused. I think most of the kits that can be built two ways probably have a ton of extra bits for leftovers.

Giant and Cygor/Georgian has a ton of other bits too.

Nurglings kit comes with plenty of spare little guys.

Most basic soldier kits have  (ex Empire State Troops, 

2 hours ago, AGPO said:

Have to agree to differ on the Forsaken @Killax, although I think they're one of a lot of units that suffered from having to be ranked up. Once you get them on to round bases and pose them a tad more dynamically they look great IMO, and can be used with the knights torsos to make some much improved chaos warriors.

The one bit of the S2D range I'm really not keen on is the warriors kit. Way too static and identikit to represent the chosen soldiers of Chaos. When I get round to doing some more I'll be kitbashing Knights, Blood Warriors and the last of my Forsaken.

While the chaos warriors may be static, i think they're just an awesome piece of design, also lots of spare heads, weapons and shields

Archived