new death battletome announced!

tea_wild_owl

24 minutes ago, Undeadly said:

I'd argue against that, because by doing nothing, they are simply allowing the external event to influence the customers anyways, although in a negative way. By staying silent and twiddling their thumbs, they risk loosing out on the pre-order sales, and possibly even players who decide to switch armies from what we have seen.

To be fair, they did drop the hint about the Order Harbringer being able to give a +1 to hit for Warmachines.

You make good points, and I'm not saying it's an easy decision to make either way.  I think it's a lose/lose situation for GW really.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They make loads of typos in those books. I am not sure who proof reads those but I spotted several mistakes in in both the english and the german GHB2017 by just reading through the books once. I have yet to find ONE book by GW that hasn't at least two or three easily spottable mistakes in it.

So @GW if you read this: please just send me those books and I will definitely find some embarrassing errors for you. For free. :)

In terms of the new previes, i have mixed feeling on the legions not being allowed specific units.

+ more freedom to take what you want with your chatacter of choice

+ forwards compatible, if we do get more new stuff this year, it will be legion legal without extra hassle.

+ backwards compatible.  Should be able to run, for example, arkhan or neferata legion with mostly tomb kings units.  You miss out on the mortarchs' new healing abilities, but you'll still have the old TK banners and tomb herald, and your liche priests should be ablw to benefit from spell lores.

- less to set them apart and make them play meaningfully differently, undermining the goal of trying to make death feel as diverse as the other alliances even though we really really aren't

- no guarantee of longevity.  The legion lists are just variant rules for death alliance.  GW could drop them at any time in the future, because they're not really factions of their own.

- unlikely to get their own new stuff.  Yeah, we aren't getting new stuff now, but if the legions were actually separate armies sharing some but not all units, there'd be a much better chance of them getting fleshed out more in the future, including with unique units.  As it is, I don't think that will happen.

12 hours ago, Sception said:

But they keep making the same mistake, so they probably do in the book, too.

The thing in the picture is a black skelly banner in front of or behind a grave guard with a black shield & skirt.

It's the community team who keep making the mistake and not the design team - not saying they haven't made that mistake in the new book, just the community team are probably all excited with the new realm of shadow stuff and keep mixing them up ;)

I think we're going to find out fairly early on if the warscrolls are fake or not (could be some are and some aren't) as we start to see the preview items appear on the community website.

Just this week in general. I suspect it will start today and that they'll handle each of the Allegiances in the book every day. 

If we are lucky, GA:D will be first to be previewed and we'll get a decent understanding on what the new summoning/summonable keywords are about (if leaks were legit). That one will also have repercussions for FEC possibly, so I'm curious about what that will bring, since the FEC traits are quite pants right now. 

Yeah, I'm guessing today the general GA:D will be covered, possibly explaining the new summonable keyword as you said. I expect Arkhan's, Mannfred's and Neferata's legions to be explained next, with Soulblight coming after that. 

What I'd like to see is a rework of the allegiance trait, if they don't like Deathless minions they can remove it but please add something better. I suggested it before, but some source of regen (even if weak) for units could add on top of the regen that heroes will provide with DI and could prove very powerful for an attrition playstyle, since it would mean we're not as dependent on our heroes as we will probably be if the warscrolls are true.

I'm hoping we may well see our overarching allegiance ability grant a ignore damage save and minor army wide regen too, but that could well be wishful thinking.  Recently released battletomes have broken away from allegiance abilities being hero based so with luck they've kept that trend.  I can easily see tweaks to DI as command traits and similar.

Really intrigued with how summoning is going to work!

14 hours ago, Aginor said:

So @GW if you read this: please just send me those books and I will definitely find some embarrassing errors for you. For free. :)

That's not how it works, by the time they're printed the investment is done and they won't be revising it.

Typos happen, I've read popular, major novels that had typos in them, and more than a few comics. 

I’ve belatedly realised that how people react to the circumstances of the Death faction depends on how you play. I fully understand that people are interested in the tournament competitiveness of Death if they live in that world and are worn down getting trounced by rules optimised armies commanded by power ninjas.

The flip side is that I’m part of the fraternity whose games only take place in my own house and I paint what looks cool, not what plays well. Thus I’m excited about any new Death material and accepting of any nerf or boost. 

Conclusion: we are all death but our outlook, style and army lists vary massively. I’ll keep that in mind in future posts.

I play in a similarly casual environment, but being beaten down isn't something that only TFG does to you at big tournaments. It can come accidentally because someone takes a couple of units and, "sweet Mary they're slaughtering you I'm so sorry. " Or they just consistently win because their army can gut your's before it gets close, then slap what's left in melee.

Which can be demoralising, and tbf I've been the deliverer of that kind of thing before. My Tallarn Guard in 40K are just too good, even when I run deliberate chaff units they still overperform. I'm not going to abandon them because they were a carefully painted and converted labour of love, but I feel bad that they can make games very unfun.

By the same token, I remember far too many games in 6th/7th against a friend who really loved his Tyranids. They were his favourite, he had a vast collection, and oh it was sad to see him come round every week with a new list and just get dunked. Without fail, every week, until he eventually just started running unbound Flyrant lists and gave up all hope and dignity just to stay alive.

Personally I'm more disappointed there's no new models, as I build/paint way more than I play. The KoS is nice, but I'll get like, two maybe, then that's it. Gimme a shiny, new unit or two GW, let me give you my money! :P

Yep, similar thing happened to me. I play with friends and we are not super super competitive, but we all like to win and not get dunked on of course haha Oh man was it demoralising when I brought my mixed Death army for my first couple of games and got tabled by my friend who was playing DoT... 

I do wonder how many people actually let GW know (via for instance their new FAQ/feedback email) about this game balance / character sniping nonsense. 

They have a way to let them know about this sort of thing that's not just a forum... If you find yourself having lots of games where your heroes end up cowering behind LoS terrain until the keyword HERO becomes an almost cynical one, you should send them that feedback. 

Well, I know it’s too early to say but at the moment I’m thinking I wanna take Arkhan and so my hypothetical plan is to add a Malignants SC box to my Battleforce and Necromancer to get a Mortis Engine and some cavalry plus cool-looking  spookies. Think that’ll fit his spellcastery vibe. 

2 hours ago, Elmir said:

I do wonder how many people actually let GW know (via for instance their new FAQ/feedback email) about this game balance / character sniping nonsense. 

They have a way to let them know about this sort of thing that's not just a forum... If you find yourself having lots of games where your heroes end up cowering behind LoS terrain until the keyword HERO becomes an almost cynical one, you should send them that feedback. 

I just assume that as TGA is such a respected forum there is a GW guy reading this (hello there)

4 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Well, I know it’s too early to say but at the moment I’m thinking I wanna take Arkhan and so my hypothetical plan is to add a Malignants SC box to my Battleforce and Necromancer to get a Mortis Engine and some cavalry plus cool-looking  spookies. Think that’ll fit his spellcastery vibe. 

I’ve basically got a Tomb Kings army to which I’ve more recently added a mourngul, a couple of wraiths, a banshee and (happily) 12 spirit hosts. I’m thinking replace Settra with Arkhan, KoS of course and then add more skels (I have 40 spears and 30 archers) and then some grave guard.

Just really happy that we'll know for certain very soon what's happening and what path we can take.

Don't know about you lot but I've been reluctant to buy anything knew for some time (allayed my urge to model by focusing on 40k)... my body's ready for more Death.

I don't mind the lack of releases either, with new Saga edition coming and a lot of Saracens to paint for a campaign and a big Crusade game we are having in two months. New shadespire level releases would have a detrimental impact on the painting motivation for 100 models in bright robes :) Also having just completed my first circa 1000 points for my Death army I now have some new stuff to test out with a new book.

Archived