Malign Portents

Will Myers

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty disappointed by the lore presented as is. Half of it is a repeat of the Age of Chaos/Mythic/StormcastDropPodInAndItWasMetalYo we've already had. It does make a good book to throw at a newbie to the setting though, rather than just pointing them at a disorganised wiki or a few paragraphs on the Games Workshop website.

The stuff about the aptly titled Malign Portents was suitably grim, inventive and pretty damn interesting. It does stick to the whole 'absurdly varied kitchen sink' approach AoS has been doing since the start. If you can think of some bizarre, random, dark and horrific occurrence then it probably did happen somewhere. Seeing the reactions of the Chaos Gods was certainly different from usual fare. 

I can't help but feel like we've learnt nothing we didn't already know though. The three other Alliance march on Shyish, there's a four-way battle, Nagash is up to something but we never find out exactly what that is. I wasn't expecting massive, setting shaking revelations, but honestly it feels a bit anti-climatic. As a kind of sourcebook on the Realm of Death (RPG style) it's 'alright' but I think more time could've been spent on the cultures and lands themselves. I guess I'll have to wait for Crucible 7's AoS RPG for that kind of thing though.

I think the 'we learnt nothing new' problem (which i do agree with in a sense) was mainly caused by the long build up and the many interviews and teasers we got along the way.

Instead of hinting at what we could expect, they told us in advance (hopefully because they, as hobbyists, were just so excited by it). This is mainly the collection of realmstone and the construction of the pyramid which, i think, were meant to be the revelations.

But i love the overview of how it's effecting the realms and how they're dealing with it, so alls good for me!

55 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I'm pretty disappointed by the lore presented as is. Half of it is a repeat of the Age of Chaos/Mythic/StormcastDropPodInAndItWasMetalYo we've already had. It does make a good book to throw at a newbie to the setting though, rather than just pointing them at a disorganised wiki or a few paragraphs on the Games Workshop website.

The stuff about the aptly titled Malign Portents was suitably grim, inventive and pretty damn interesting. It does stick to the whole 'absurdly varied kitchen sink' approach AoS has been doing since the start. If you can think of some bizarre, random, dark and horrific occurrence then it probably did happen somewhere. Seeing the reactions of the Chaos Gods was certainly different from usual fare. 

I can't help but feel like we've learnt nothing we didn't already know though. The three other Alliance march on Shyish, there's a four-way battle, Nagash is up to something but we never find out exactly what that is. I wasn't expecting massive, setting shaking revelations, but honestly it feels a bit anti-climatic. As a kind of sourcebook on the Realm of Death (RPG style) it's 'alright' but I think more time could've been spent on the cultures and lands themselves. I guess I'll have to wait for Crucible 7's AoS RPG for that kind of thing though.

Thx for the mini review. That was what I was worried about

I was hoping for story not just background

52 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Due to the nature of how books are released, I'd expect there will be a recap in everyone of them.  The general feel I get from GW is trend similar to RPG supplements.  There are far too many of them to recall but you know they have something that you'd like to play with.  I didn't expect a heavy emphasis on a lore, I'm guessing as you said it, there will be an RPG supplement or covered in some other book.

I am really dreading on managing rules from 2+ books during my games as time goes on. Once I have something that I'd like to play and my friend has something that he'd like to play, the interactions and looking up the definitions between the various supplements could become a hassle to run or simply too time consuming.

Just a small review. I really liked both the Nagash and the MP books. IMO they are far better than the themed battle plans that made up the Realmgate books and the setting of the Nagash book is way better than any other Battletome’s. Just two reasons for this judgment:

-I think both MP and Nagash follow on the conscious decision already present in Hammerhal to “flesh out” the setting. Both books thus present the Realm of Death in a way that both maintains the high fantasy orientation of AoS but makes them both understandable and detailed. Unlike all other realms presented so far (but excepting Hammerhal), I feel that this is a setting with depth. Something that Ghyran, Aqsy, Azyr and even a Chamon are missing with their overly generic, full of weird TM words descriptions. 

-The narrative itself is thin and could have been more larger. I am still missing the feeling of epic stories for which you actually care (even get excited for) that made up WHFB. However, it seems to be going in that direction. The tale of the three armies heading into Shyish is very reminiscent of the ET type of narrative and does not follow the Realmgates style. There are also some snipets of diaogues that feel well done. In particular, one dialogue between Nagash and Arkhan is very well written and characterized.

so having brought the new malign book i must say i have to agree with what everyone is saying, that the book is basicly a recap of what has happened before and the lead up to the campaign that gw is now rolling out.

One thing i will say is the malign portents book seem to me to be alot like the first AOS book  that led into the realm gate war books (this one https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar-Book-ENG)., so im partly hoping that after all the results are in from the malign campaign, Gw may will write up the results in a new remalgate wars style book

1 hour ago, Turgol said:

the setting of the Nagash book is way better than any other Battletome’s.

It's great by all means, but not better than the books of BCR or FEC. Just more attention to Shyish, but that was expectable.

1 hour ago, Turgol said:

-I think both MP and Nagash follow on the conscious decision already present in Hammerhal to “flesh out” the setting. Both books thus present the Realm of Death in a way that both maintains the high fantasy orientation of AoS but makes them both understandable and detailed. Unlike all other realms presented so far (but excepting Hammerhal), I feel that this is a setting with depth. Something that Ghyran, Aqsy, Azyr and even a Chamon are missing with their overly generic, full of weird TM words descriptions. 

that's not true.

1 hour ago, Turgol said:

I am still missing the feeling of epic stories for which you actually care (even get excited for) that made up WHFB.

They were not epic. They were interesting from time to time, but with status quo and overall uselessness of any event - not that much. AoS progresses itself, from the start.

People have to remember that Malign portents is a "soft" reboot/catch up for the setting if you have been following the setting from the start a lot of the stuff shown on the website is not new. I expected the same in the book from what I have seen from people's comments there is some new stuff in there but more or less this book is for people to have a "second" look at the setting. 

Since some have felt AOS had no depth or it made no sense etc... all the relevant information is now in one book so someone can easily get up to speed instead of reading 4 campaign books along with a host of novels. This is what I think is the intention of the malign portent's book. Also I am still going to buy it. 

"THE DEATHLY SHADOWS: In the skaven stronghold of Blight City, a spate of high-profle deaths is blamed on shadowy spectres, creeping phantasms and dark figures in the night that carry blades of pure darkness. Te fact that this exact description can be applied to the mercenary adepts of the Clans Eshin is not openly highlighted, for those who speak of the connection are often the next to be visited by a ghost in the night." -Malign Portents

All's well and good in Skaven Town :)

12 hours ago, shinros said:

all the relevant information is now in one book so someone can easily get up to speed instead of reading 4 campaign books along with a host of novels.

Actually, that was done by AoS Primer a bit later after the start of the universe, and "Getting started with the Age of Sigmar" which came quite late but is a good book nevertheless.

I am not yet through the book (and have not even started on LoN), but I find it full of neat little nuggets of lore. Some favorites so far:

-The Great Horned Rat send visions not only to Skaven, but also to Mortal, appealing to those who fear their ambitions and successes be brought low.

-We get confirmation that Shadeglass is a form/product of Gravesand (Shysh Realmstone). We also learn that Nagash can create it from the Realmstone he gathers and is using it for his great work. This raises the question: Did he get mad at the Katophranes for abusing the secret of Shadeglass, or did he get mad at them for inventing it, only to then steal the knowledge and use it for himself?

-Each grain of Gravesand is bound to someones lifeforce. One can theoraticly gather all Gravesand "bound" to ones self, put it in an hourglass and then keep turning it to extend one life.

-The Realmstone of Blight City is described. It is not called Warpstone here, but the description matches perfectly.

-Bits from a number of earlier stories show up, for example the Hangman's Wood shows up again. The next Champion of Nurgle to claim it fares no better.

-I think we learn what happens to Gosma in Grimm Deliverance. The book mentions a "Nekrosene Mark", a magical brand that binds those who pledge their loyalty to Nagash, ensuring they can never be claimed by another, precluding reforging, rebirth via the Phoenix Temple or other reincarnation, and even preventing those marked from swearing fealthy to the gods of Chaos. If those such marked go to Nagashizzar they are slain ritually slain and raised as Undead leaders (without mark they'd be unceremonously slain and raised as a mere puppet).

-This bit: "Even those fallen warriors whose skulls had been claimed for Khorne's throne attacked their former killer - their missing heads had been replaced with bundles of blades, dead ravens, and rotting pumpkins at the hands of nameless Necromancers."

Just now, Rogue Explorator said:

-We get confirmation that Shadeglass is a form/product of Gravesand (Shysh Realmstone). We also learn that Nagash can create it from the Realmstone he gathers and is using it for his great work. This raises the question: Did he get mad at the Katophranes for abusing the secret of Shadeglass, or did he get mad at them for inventing it, only to then steal the knowledge and use it for himself?

Considering it's Nagash, i think both statements are true. :) Thanks for that lore tidbits, it really makes me want this book even more.

Just now, michu said:

Considering it's Nagash, i think both statements are true. :) Thanks for that lore tidbits, it really makes me want this book even more.

At the price, I think I can really recommend it. Only half of it is lore, but it is propably the prettiest AoS book I go so far and what lore is not a repeat is very neat.

Good product quality too, I think many here will also be happy to hear that it is well equipped against inquisitive cats spilling an entire cup of fresh coffee over it. It was entirely drenched and I was not exactly fast in saving it, yet it has taken only minor damage, Nagash be praised!

5 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

it is well equipped against inquisitive cats spilling an entire cup of fresh coffee over it. It was entirely drenched and I was not exactly fast in saving it, yet it has taken only minor damage, Nagash be praised!

Power of Death shields it from all those who wants to despoil the work of Nagash! Which is quite logical :) great to hear such news, lore does seem to be quite loveable, and GW excels in this.

Just chiming in to agree with the general sentiment that the MP book covers a lot of old ground, and doesn't contain anything that hasn't already been explored in considerable depth in the various videos and short stories that GW have put out over the last month or so. Which is a minor let down for me, but only a minor one. It's still an enjoyable read, the material is very well presented, and at £15 it's still very easy to recommend it. Someone elsewhere pointed out that the book doesn't contain a map, which I hadn't originally considered but now that I think about it would have been an excellent inclusion and is possibly the main thing that the book is lacking from a background perspective - it would be nice to be able to better visualise where the main events are taking place, even if it was just a map of the area around Nagashizzar rather than the whole of Shyish.

Minor reservations aside, and recognising that there's still room for improvement, if the new approach is to release two or more books like this a year then I'm massively in favour. Judged side by side the Realmgate Wars books are still far better for lore, background, story, exploration of characters, etc, but they tended to be pretty weak in terms of battleplans and thematic rules, so I feel that MP is the more balanced package that truly has something for everyone even though there's less material overall. And let's be honest, for most of us the price of the Realmgate Wars books was very difficult to justify when you could buy a Start Collecting box for almost the same price.

Very happy to have the Malign Portents book on my shelf, and looking forward to seeing where this goes.

New story is an entertaining read, but I really do not feel it tells us anything new.

More filthy Souldblight though, instead of the expected Knight of Shrouds, but at least it is a Death PoV.

I am through most lore from MP and LoN now. For the largest part, I feel LoN really is not essential on the lore part, it mostly contains what is also explained better in MP. However, the three pages on Missing Souls contain some neat info, particularly on the Aelven gods.

We learn that Morathi has been helping Malerion and Tyrion with their little plot, but also went behind their back to steal some aelven Souls for herself (that is propably how we get gorgons and winged aelves in DoK). In doing so, she accidentially tipped of Nagash on what these two have been up, since her own actions where not covered by their spells of obscurement. Even though, Nagash could not find out where Slaanesh is.

Funnily, this means, from Nagashes position, that he wants to steal back the Souls Morathi stole from Tyrion and Malerion when they stole the Souls Slaanesh has stolen during the Endtimes.

There is also a mention of another yet unknown thieving of Souls besides those known by the Aelven Gods (and Demigodess), Sigmar, the Katophranes of Shadespire and the Chaos gods. Something is slowly making mortals disappear body and mind, only leaving behind the ocassional comatose body. This is mentioned in the part on the Aelven gods. Make of it what you want.

One last bit from LoN that I think might have bearing on the future is that Deathmages and Deadwalkers are grouped together in the unit descriptions, which makes sense when you consider that neither works as a seperate force, the Corpse Cart is already a mix of both and the shambling dead have always been most closely linked with mortal Necromancers in Warhammer Fantasy.It has no gameplay effect yet and never might. But it could also foretell an eventual merging of the two.

3 hours ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Just chiming in to agree with the general sentiment that the MP book covers a lot of old ground, and doesn't contain anything that hasn't already been explored in considerable depth in the various videos and short stories that GW have put out over the last month or so. Which is a minor let down for me, but only a minor one. It's still an enjoyable read, the material is very well presented, and at £15 it's still very easy to recommend it. Someone elsewhere pointed out that the book doesn't contain a map, which I hadn't originally considered but now that I think about it would have been an excellent inclusion and is possibly the main thing that the book is lacking from a background perspective - it would be nice to be able to better visualise where the main events are taking place, even if it was just a map of the area around Nagashizzar rather than the whole of Shyish.

Minor reservations aside, and recognising that there's still room for improvement, if the new approach is to release two or more books like this a year then I'm massively in favour. Judged side by side the Realmgate Wars books are still far better for lore, background, story, exploration of characters, etc, but they tended to be pretty weak in terms of battleplans and thematic rules, so I feel that MP is the more balanced package that truly has something for everyone even though there's less material overall. And let's be honest, for most of us the price of the Realmgate Wars books was very difficult to justify when you could buy a Start Collecting box for almost the same price.

Very happy to have the Malign Portents book on my shelf, and looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Interesting,  I thought the realmgate wars had a good amount of thematic rules and battleplans.  The different rules for the different parts of the realms really fit their themes.  

4 hours ago, Rogue Explorator said:

One last bit from LoN that I think might have bearing on the future is that Deathmages and Deadwalkers are grouped together in the unit descriptions, which makes sense when you consider that neither works as a seperate force, the Corpse Cart is already a mix of both and the shambling dead have always been most closely linked with mortal Necromancers in Warhammer Fantasy.It has no gameplay effect yet and never might. But it could also foretell an eventual merging of the two.

True, which was expectable and I am glad they did it, likewise LoN is essentially a tome for the Deathlords that are like Archaon in terms of commanding all the other Death forces. A good move.

4 hours ago, chord said:

Interesting,  I thought the realmgate wars had a good amount of thematic rules and battleplans.  The different rules for the different parts of the realms really fit their themes.  

Seconding on that, they do have a couple of good scenarios and Times of War rules, not that bad.

4 hours ago, chord said:

Sure, it just wasn't a good value. If you love the story, the art, and the game content then it's a good purchase. But if you aren't interested in one or more of those, it doesn't really make the case for spending the $60. If they could offer something like the Realmgate Wars books for a more reasonable price, that would be the best, but if they can't then I think what they are doing now with Malign Portents is better. Those interested in story can buy the novels, those who are more into the gaming can buy the MP book, and those who want both can buy both. I'm not sure where people who are into the art go; maybe they need to make graphic novels?

Archived