Malign Portents

Will Myers

Anyone else looking forward to seeing how the campaign system works?  Seems completely different to anything else we've seen

On 06/02/2018 at 9:11 AM, Ollie Grimwood said:

With the books getting released this Saturday what do people think will be happening on the 17th 

Necromunda ;)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I am a little curious about MP heralds. I like these campaign twists like firestorm allegiance abilities and harbringers able to become generals being available even in matched play, but on the other hand I am not sure about sustainability of such an approach. If there is one campaign per year bringing special rules it will eventually get out of control. Do you think that at some point they will phase out these features?  

Just now, Trayanee said:

So I am a little curious about MP heralds. I like these campaign twists like firestorm allegiance abilities and harbringers able to become generals being available even in matched play, but on the other hand I am not sure about sustainability of such an approach. If there is one campaign per year bringing special rules it will eventually get out of control. Do you think that at some point they will phase out these features?  

Nope the plan is to do more and more of them, they said last year. It adds variation and flavour to your dudes, thats the whole point. Being linked to a city or warband is a great way to made your dudes your dudes. 

2 hours ago, Sheriff said:

The leaks kind of ruin the build up now. We know what Nagash is up to and exactly what his plan is. And why the snake girls are involved. 

Hide contents

The good news is that its not all about the realm of death and the realm of shadow is the real star of the show. Maybe they will reveal the (other) new faction in the realm of shadow toward the end of the campaign. 

I'd love it the be grots but lets face it we're not smart enough to steal souls without Nagash noticing, or to try and defeat Arkhan and his posse :D

hm, I might have misted that. Can you point me to where it was leaked?!

4 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

Nope the plan is to do more and more of them, they said last year. It adds variation and flavour to your dudes, thats the whole point. Being linked to a city or warband is a great way to made your dudes your dudes. 

Well, If they manage to keep it balanced, then its nice to have more variety. The future will tell...

14 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Anyone else looking forward to seeing how the campaign system works?  Seems completely different to anything else we've seen

Absolutely, although I'm not sure I'll get to participate much as I don't often play in GW stores.

I originally glossed over the image about the campaign section. But what I do like is that it's basically a branching narrative and therefore we know that the results of our games are going to impact how the story is driven.

I didn't really participate in Season of War, but I kinda followed along and I guess a big issue I had with it was getting feedback. Yeah it's cool you got the wheels and the breakdown of how the grand alliances were doing in each sector, but fighting didn't really mean much. It wasn't until over a year later with Firestorm did people realise the impacts of what they fought over (Order won! So they get a bunch of free cities abilities).

It's tough in the fact that there's a huge lead time to having an impact on product. So no matter what happens in the next 6 weeks in terms of Malign Portents, the implications won't be fully realised until a year from now when they can start pushing stuff into battletomes or expansion releases.

So yeah, interested to see what GW has created for us in terms of the narrative and how it evolves over the course of the campaign. I think ultimately it's not going to change much, but will likely be a good bit of fun for those involved.

You don't have to play in a GW to take part, just register your painted units and games won. Some may want proof to keep everything above board but the vast majority just want to see the models you've done and your stories about the game you won.

Should mean than anyone with a local GW or participating FLGS can take part, even if you don't hobby there.

8 hours ago, someone2040 said:

It's tough in the fact that there's a huge lead time to having an impact on product. So no matter what happens in the next 6 weeks in terms of Malign Portents, the implications won't be fully realised until a year from now when they can start pushing stuff into battletomes or expansion releases.

This is quite logical, it's no use waiting for immediate changes, even if GW plans everything way beforehand. But then it's the main feature making all of this worth waiting - to see events unfold.

2 hours ago, Sete said:

Nay! I shall scour the dark interwebs to find this secret!

So uh.. I'v just read the MP fluff (no English version alas) and I can tell you Sheriff's interpretation is quite incorrect.

Ulgu and Morathi are indeed mentioned about the fate of Slaanesh, but it won't play a big part in MP per se. MP is because Nagash "great work", long in the making, is about to succeed. This is a pretty big deal. There is an excellent part in the fluff about the 5 chaos gods and how the feel about Nagash's big plan, is really good.

But still, Slaanesh / Ulgu are mentioned and I can't wait for the DoK Battletome !

1 hour ago, HorticulusTGA said:

So uh.. I'v just read the MP fluff (no English version alas) and I can tell you Sheriff's interpretation is quite incorrect.

Ulgu and Morathi are indeed mentioned about the fate of Slaanesh, but it won't play a big part in MP per se. MP is because Nagash "great work", long in the making, is about to succeed. This is a pretty big deal. There is an excellent part in the fluff about the 5 chaos gods and how the feel about Nagash's big plan, is really good.

But still, Slaanesh / Ulgu are mentioned and I can't wait for the DoK Battletome !

Is it fluff like in the Realmgate wars books where it's a story driven approach?

Figured this would be the best place to ask. I heard there were actual rule uses for the Warscryer Citadel. Does it have a Profile, and more importantly, does it have a Pitched Battle points value? I love the idea of an army adding terrain to the battlefield, and this would be an awesome centerpiece to build around.

1 hour ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

I still can't get used to this heresy. There are 4 chaos gods and the other one.... :P

They were more than 4 long time ago more than once. Now they just got classified as it must be, without lesser deities and such. Heresy is not believing in facts.

1 hour ago, DantePQ said:

Is there anything about about Tyrion and Malerion in there ? 

Yes, but just a mention ; a rephrasing of pic related. There is just a bit more about Morathi (which is new info).

2 hours ago, chord said:

Is it fluff like in the Realmgate wars books where it's a story driven approach?

Yeah ! It is a more... general point of view on several linked events, and a part about the campaign of the 4 named harbingers in Shyish. It's pretty good so far, and it ties quite well with other short stories from the MP website.

The Soul Thieves.png

21 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Yeah ! It is a more... general point of view on several linked events, and a part about the campaign of the 4 named harbingers in Shyish. It's pretty good so far, and it ties quite well with other short stories from the MP website.

Thanks.  Sounds less like Realmgate wars than I wanted. I really enjoyed the story aspect. I think I will skip and hope for them to switch back to the realmgate wars style. 

13 hours ago, chord said:

Thanks.  Sounds less like Realmgate wars than I wanted. I really enjoyed the story aspect. I think I will skip and hope for them to switch back to the realmgate wars style. 

I wouldn't hold my breath. The Realmgate Wars books were excellent, but they were outrageously expensive and I don't think they sold very many of them. You'd be looking at more than £200 for the whole series. There's also the fact that they were very much geared towards narrative play, and much as I hate to admit it that turns a lot of people off.

The Malign Portents book is just £15 and has content for Narrative Play, Matched Play and Skirmish. It has something for everyone at a price most hobbyists can justify. I think it's going to be a huge success, in which case this will presumably me the model they use for future campaign books.

Now, from what I'm hearing the story it contains is just more of the same sort of stuff we've already been getting for free via the Malign Portents website, Warhammer TV and White Dwarf. That's all great, but honestly I was hoping for a little more. I'm not hearing anything about the plot moving forward or any big reveals about what Nagash is up to, just the stuff that's already out there retold from different perspectives and perhaps with a touch more detail. If there's any one thing that will scupper the popularity of the book I think it might be this, since they've been teasing us with Malign Portents for a long time now and I suspect a lot of people are expecting that to be paid off in some big way.

Archived