Malign Portents

Will Myers

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Looks like we're going to get a story for each of the harbingers. I wonder how long the free short stories will continue.

I'm holding out for new stories every week when the global campaign is going determined by the results.

Just now, Carnelian said:

Do we know if the short stories on the website are also in the malign portents book? I hope not. I hope the malign portents book is entirely new.

Doubtful, it's only 80 pages and has a lot rules and background to cover!

Nice to get a Destruction  perspective and the Cave-Shamans continue being quite entertaining.

If all heralds get a story feature, I guess the Warqueen is next, again saving the Knight of Shrouds for last.  Hopefully that one can tell us something new, but with the book in the hands of reviewers and no great lore reveals out, I think it will still be quite some time till we find out more on where the journey is really taking us.

Have I got this right? Has the Shaman tricked his breathren into a fight where they will certainly die? It seems a little bit like he had known that they would all die. 

What was his intention? Does he want to add more fighting corpses to the undead? Or is he trying to experiment? 

It seems like he collects greenskins and sends them through a portal to the realm of death to fight against the undead. Or maybe he really ate too many mushrooms and doesn't know what he does.

Also in my opinion his visions don't seem to be "real" visions in the way they predict something in the future. I think the vision he showed the Warboss was more like a drug experience, where the consumer gets to see a hallucination of their ideal future instead of the real future. What do the other think? How would you interpret the new story?

3 hours ago, Infeston said:

Have I got this right? Has the Shaman tricked his breathren into a fight where they will certainly die? It seems a little bit like he had known that they would all die. 

What was his intention? Does he want to add more fighting corpses to the undead? Or is he trying to experiment? 

It seems like he collects greenskins and sends them through a portal to the realm of death to fight against the undead. Or maybe he really ate too many mushrooms and doesn't know what he does.

Also in my opinion his visions don't seem to be "real" visions in the way they predict something in the future. I think the vision he showed the Warboss was more like a drug experience, where the consumer gets to see a hallucination of their ideal future instead of the real future. What do the other think? How would you interpret the new story?

Seems like the Cave Shaman is using visions as a tool to trick the forces of Destruction into following him into Shyish. My interpretation was that he's just throwing as many tribes into battle as he can muster in the hope of eventually beating the undead through attrition and sheer weight of numbers. His efforts don't seem to have any tactical nuance beyond that, which seems appropriate for a drug-addled greenskin.

Another thing that stood out to me is his use of portals to travel between realms. Is this the first time we've seen a summoned portal that does this, rather than relying on a permanent realmgate?

3 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Seems like the Cave Shaman is using visions as a tool to trick the forces of Destruction into following him into Shyish. My interpretation was that he's just throwing as many tribes into battle as he can muster in the hope of eventually beating the undead through attrition and sheer weight of numbers. His efforts don't seem to have any tactical nuance beyond that, which seems appropriate for a drug-addled greenskin.

Another thing that stood out to me is his use of portals to travel between realms. Is this the first time we've seen a summoned portal that does this, rather than relying on a permanent realmgate?

Skaven have a similar method, but only gobbos and them can do such thing. I THINK that either in pestilens or warbeast something along those lines happened.

33 minutes ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

Skaven have a similar method, but only gobbos and them can do such thing. I THINK that either in pestilens or warbeast something along those lines happened.

Shroom portals were speculated on this forum (as a joke) months ago and then confirmed by that author dude. 

We did it guys, we made lore! 

I've just seen the matched play profiles page of the Malign Portents book, and Harbingers can ally with whoever they like within the same grand alliance (calm thine ****** ogor and skaven players!) and be the army general even while an ally (no artefacts or command traits though).

I can forsee a lot of Cave Shaman lead Ironjaw armies (double dipping Maw-Crusha mortal wounds), and even a fair few uses for the Warqueen at the head of an StD heavy Chaos God aligned army (Fatesworn Warband anyone?).

1 hour ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Not certain they are travelling between realms here, the orruks with white skull warpaint sound like a tribe that already live in shyish could be wrong but to me it read that they were living in greenskin infested mountains and the shaman opened a portal to the lands below the mountains hence "The Paradise Below" title.

38 minutes ago, Moonlightwolf said:

Not certain they are travelling between realms here, the orruks with white skull warpaint sound like a tribe that already live in shyish could be wrong but to me it read that they were living in greenskin infested mountains and the shaman opened a portal to the lands below the mountains hence "The Paradise Below" title.

Good point !

I really like those Harbingers stories - what is coming when the Warqueen and Knight of Shrouds ones are done ?!

1 hour ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Good point !

I really like those Harbingers stories - what is coming when the Warqueen and Knight of Shrouds ones are done ?!

The next two stories are coming on the 9th and the 13th if we stick to the current schedule, meaning that once the Harbingers are out of the way we'll get our next story on the 16th, one day after the launch of the Dread Solstice worldwide campaign... ;) 

The unique ways of making the harbingers allies is making me rethink the lord ordinator for my Overlords. He's most useful for my skyships as general, but wouldn't be worthing losing allegiance and skyport stuff, but it looks like I don't have to choose.

12 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

The unique ways of making the harbingers allies is making me rethink the lord ordinator for my Overlords. He's most useful for my skyships as general, but wouldn't be worthing losing allegiance and skyport stuff, but it looks like I don't have to choose.

You might want to stick an aether-endrin on his back so he can keep up! ;) 

(or give him an allied Helstorm Rocket battery to stand next to so he's always got something to buff and shoot twice with once your ships have cleared off)

The leaks kind of ruin the build up now. We know what Nagash is up to and exactly what his plan is. And why the snake girls are involved. 

Spoiler

The good news is that its not all about the realm of death and the realm of shadow is the real star of the show. Maybe they will reveal the (other) new faction in the realm of shadow toward the end of the campaign. 

I'd love it the be grots but lets face it we're not smart enough to steal souls without Nagash noticing, or to try and defeat Arkhan and his posse :D

Archived