Death Heresy for AoS?

eekamouse

This is something I've been kicking around for a bit since seeing the upcoming logo change and rumored "injection" of Death related models etc... at the start of 2018. It's also been mentioned on a couple of podcasts that AoS will get some kind of reboot next year, although that seemed like pure speculation until I saw the logo change.

What if AoS gets a Heresy, but it's not Chaos? What if it's a "Death Heresy"?

Nagash is pretty livid with Sigmar for taking souls that are His by right. And, every time a Stormcast is killed, they are Reforged. And, every time they are Reforged, they lose a little bit more of their soul and their humanity. You'd think that one would get a little bit tired of this, no? Or, at the very least, one might start losing empathy for which side they are fighting. The thought occurred to me, what about Death Stormcast? I think the modelling possibilities would be pretty interesting. Imagine the conversion possibilities! And, it would give a Death a much needed boost in terms what they can do on the battlefield.

Anyway, just a thought. I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of it, but it struck me as an interesting possibility.

AoS-new-Logo.jpg.397a811861da8dc4788fa36627e9b797.jpg

3 minutes ago, Uveron said:

Nagash just makes his own version.. 

Then every faction has there own version of heavy 'heroic' infantry (Chaos Warriors, Ionjawz) 

Ya maybe a Heresy per se wouldn't quite fit, but Nagash could snatch the dead Stormcast souls and force them into his own kind of Reforging technology. 

I may be mistaken as I'm not 100% on the lore, but didn't Nagash help Sigmar with the Reforging process?

4 minutes ago, eekamouse said:

Ya maybe a Heresy per se wouldn't quite fit, but Nagash could snatch the dead Stormcast souls and force them into his own kind of Reforging technology. 

I may be mistaken as I'm not 100% on the lore, but didn't Nagash help Sigmar with the Reforging process?

No.. not in the slightest. 

But yep Nagash stealing the process could be good. It also means that the stormcasts wouldnt be as eternal as the chance of them 'dieing' becomes a greater threat. 

2 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

I hope not, it would be very boring and copy-past actually, GW does not behave this way... Does it? :D and anyway, Nagash got his own SC long before it was a mainstream! In a form of morghasts:)

I mean... I don't have any question they will actually do this. If they did, I would hope they wouldn't copy/paste from the Heresy, but with a twist... or three. Morghasts though. I could see some interesting Morg-ified Stormcast sculpts tbh.

31 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

I hope not, it would be very boring and copy-past actually, GW does not behave this way... Does it? :D and anyway, Nagash got his own SC long before it was a mainstream! In a form of morghasts:)

I would love something a bit smaller than a Morghast, something between one and a Grave Guard, 

7 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

There has been quite a bit of speculation about this very possibility. If they look like stormcasts but with death iconography I will be pretty nonplussed, but if they have a unique design and the stormcast aspect of it is mostly fluff then I'm all for it.

If they went that route I kind of hope they go for an Egyptian aesthetic; if they're gradually squatting Tomb Kings they might as well make a new faction their spiritual successors. Plus as Necrons and Thousand Sons show us, you can do a cool stuff with Egyptian-themed dudes in metal armour. 

1 hour ago, Uveron said:

Good Point.... Maybe we can get something similar and not in resin?  

Yes, though sarcasm aside you're right in that skellies/wights could do with a monstrous infantry of varghesit size. Could see Ogre/trolls/minotaur reanimated skeletons, but seems too generic fantasy (actually its the zombicide boss set). Otherwise maybe some Cairn Elementals/golems with bones and weapons sticking out. Or some animal hybrids where the riders and mounts have been animated as one large monstrosity looking like centaurs/satyrs etc.  

Just ramblings, but anything not in a suit of shiny/red armour would also be cool.

So in the lore, Nagash has some knowledge and hand in the regorging, he feels slighted by sigmar but some stirmcasts have a deep relationship with Nagash, serving two masters, these being the skull faced stormcasts and lords of death, the lord relictors, nagash calls to them to "pay their due"

Much as I like the narrative elements of the Stormcasts losing themselves with each reforging due to Nagash's jealous manipulations... I think it works better as just that, a narrative element. It's not even about Nagash, really, it's about the identity and the struggle of the Stormcasts themselves, and an important part of their character. If we got a Death heresy you'd either risk losing that, or you'd make the whole thing all about the good Stormcast. Neither seems like a particularly desirable outcome to me! Even if it were done well I don't think it could be that interesting since you'd be retreating so much ground already covered by 40k.

Plus, as a death player I have to say that Stormcasts with skulls instead of lightning bolts seems an incredible waste of potential new releases to me (opinion will obviously vary on this one xD).

I dunno, at the end of the day I think AoS is at its best when doing its own thing, not just repeating what 40k has already done :)

10 hours ago, eekamouse said:

What if AoS gets a Heresy, but it's not Chaos? What if it's a "Death Heresy"?

Personally, I welcome the Nagash’ing of the Mortal Realma. I mean who wouldn’t want more of this!

06912391-BC2F-4A1E-A855-E663D6731091.jpeg.10b604ec6ae424dc971c0bc782f17a02.jpeg

Seriously though, there is SO much we can do with the undead. I’d be happy to see skeleton and zombie troops that aren’t human (remember the Dogs of War unit with an skeleton Lizardmen?). 

More terrain would be great too GW... 

Also what if the "heresey" is commited by Sigmar. I feel like nagash was promised something in exchange for not taking the stormcasts souls the first timr they died as mortals. It would be intersting is sigmar ignores the debt nagash is owed

3 hours ago, SaJeel said:

Also what if the "heresey" is commited by Sigmar. I feel like nagash was promised something in exchange for not taking the stormcasts souls the first timr they died as mortals. It would be intersting is sigmar ignores the debt nagash is owed

From Nagash’s point of view I think that’s precisely what’s going on. :)

I can't see us getting undead Stormcast per-sé, but do agree that Nagash may put those souls to "work" in some manner or other.  Each reforging he takes another part of that Stormcast's essence, not just their soul, but their personality, feelings and emotions.  The end result is basically a husk of a Stormcast - basically the mirror of a Skeleton raised by a Necromancer.  So we may see undead Stormcast, but on Sigmar's side and Death heroes with the souls of heroes on Nagash's side.

1 minute ago, RuneBrush said:

I can't see us getting undead Stormcast per-sé, but do agree that Nagash may put those souls to "work" in some manner or other.  Each reforging he takes another part of that Stormcast's essence, not just their soul, but their personality, feelings and emotions.  The end result is basically a husk of a Stormcast - basically the mirror of a Skeleton raised by a Necromancer.  So we may see undead Stormcast, but on Sigmar's side and Death heroes with the souls of heroes on Nagash's side.

I love this idea even better.  I’d really like to see them push the bounds of what possible with a new Undead faction. They did it with KO (Sky Dwarves? Sure!) Some similar riff for Death is due. Maybe some kind of Necromantic character ala Arthas from Warcraft with an army of dead that are truly “warriors”.

1 hour ago, eekamouse said:

I love this idea even better.  I’d really like to see them push the bounds of what possible with a new Undead faction. They did it with KO (Sky Dwarves? Sure!) Some similar riff for Death is due. Maybe some kind of Necromantic character ala Arthas from Warcraft with an army of dead that are truly “warriors”.

I think there is so much possibility and scope it's unreal.  Nagash's power is slightly on the wane and he's has huge periods of time slumbering which means his Mortatch's (of which there are 12) are freer to do what they wish.  So we could see other leader figures with varying levels of power and ability.  Undead with more sentience would provide lots of really exciting ideas for armies, background etc

1 hour ago, MacDuff said:

Nagash should bring back the spirits of all the dead heroes from The World That Was. But on his side.

I'm not sure if he's able to do that.  Certainly Sigmar was able to break time and space and capture a heroes essence at the point of death, but Nagash has so far just recreated his dead lieutenants from memory.  It's possible he could - but he's more suspicious and cynical than most Skaven so I'm not sure he'd actually trust any hero enough to do this.  Ultimately Nagash is also playing the long game, he knows that everything even gods die and when they do, he'll be there waiting so there's little urgency in anything he does.

Archived