8 Lores of Magic

8 Lores of Magic  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel like adding the 8 winds of magic lores back into the game would congest things too much?

• Yes
    • No

Not sure if this has been brought up before but I am curious to people's thoughts on something like this. For those that played Warhammer in the previous few editions, there were always 8 winds of magic lores in addition to the racial lores. Namely Shadow, Fire, Beasts, Metal, Heavens, Light, Life, and Death.

Currently certain armies, namely Tzeentch, Bonesplitterz, and Sylvaneth all have their own racial magic lore. This affords a lot of flexibility to these armies and creates a pretty big rift between the capabilities of wizards in armies that do have lores vs those that don't. 

My thought would be to add the 8 winds of magic lores back to the game, each with 6 spells a piece like past editions.  Not all wizards could use all of the winds, like for instance Darkling Coven Sorceresses could only use say Shadow, Wanderers wizards would only have access to Life,  Seraphon wizards would only use Heavens, just to keep it somewhat balanced and discourage favoritism of a particular lore.

So you think something like this clog up the game too much? 

in an idealistic world once complete with the launch of the AoS factions ( opposed to WHFB cross over ) we will see this in essence, 

tzeentch has tzeentch, nurgle will get nurgle, i believe bonesplitters has theirs and death will certainly get theirs.

allowing access for all factions to all magics kinda counters the idea of the end times with the magic essences being absorbed, for instance; nagash is the wind and god of death. makes sense for things death inclined to only have access to it then,

maybe one or two cross over models to spice things up. 

i feel once the free peoples is covered in what ever battletome ( though its my personal feelings that a larger book is being created for all the minor factions for each grand alliance similar to the grand alliance books covering items traits and such excluding the ones who have their own battletomes ) the fire/light/air? winds will in essence be covered and you will need to take mage of college of magic X/Y/Z to get access to them. ( likely altering heads/robes for the model ) 

just bringing the lores of magic back is too simple solution,  while it could be fun; it feels a little lazy

I honestly think an increase in the variety of spells would be a fantastic addition to the game.  I love playing armies with allegiance specific spells (Bonesplitterz spells rock) and would love to see more of these.  I was a bit disappointed when the new allegiance abilities in GHB2017 did not get individual spell lores too.  So I am in favor of more spells no matter how we get them.

I was just cleaning my hobby room the other day and found an old magic supplement from the 5th ed days. It was this one:

69DA8134-F71E-4F7F-9DF4-57D2166B6D24.jpeg.79a233e1bcf2466526f24b8b5b0416cc.jpeg

Honestly this is one of my gripes with AoS. We lost our customisation when spell lores and magic items were scaled back. I do believe however that it is slowly being reintroduced. Hopefully next years ghb and battle tomes expand on this.

#WHFBisDeadLetItGoEmbraceAOS

:D

Whoa now. Come on, I play Fyreslayers since they were released and I was playing the game (a lot) even before the points came around. I have fully embraced the game.  The lores of magic represent the 8 Mortal Realms we are currently fighting in.  I just thought it would be a characterful addition and could help the armies that don't have access to their own magic lores but are supposed to be very wizard focused like Seraphon or Darkling Coven.

I have that old 5th edition Magic box set, but it was way too fiddly for me. We have a bit of different magic leadking into rules for the Realms, and a toss to it with Battle Mage differences. I could see a bit more (a unique spell or two per), but I don't want to go back to the magic imbalance and complexity of WFB.

I actually would appreciate a little more variety in magic casting, but not in the form of 8 different lores with various spells each (to be chosen at the beginning of the game).

What I'd like to see is a larger choice of what to cast in-game and I'd represent it this way:

since in the AoS rules it is written that you should choose in which Mortal Realm you and your opponent are fighting it would be nice to have a list of 8 spells, each one rappresentative of one Realm.

When in the hero phase you select one of your wizards to cast a spell, he can choose to cast the spells listed on his warscroll, arcane bolt, mystic shield or the spell relative to the realm you are fighting on.

Maybe, there could also be 2 (or 3 max) Grand Alliance/Faction specific spells, as @AverageBoss said.

This way any wizard would know:

- mystic shield

- arcane bolt

- his warscroll relative spell

- the Realm relative one

- the ones relative to the allegiance he belongs to

(A total of 6 spells circa to choose from while in game, not before the start of the battle)

---

But I admit it sounds a bit overcomplicated

9 hours ago, Lord Veshnakar said:

Whoa now. Come on, I play Fyreslayers since they were released and I was playing the game (a lot) even before the points came around. I have fully embraced the game.  The lores of magic represent the 8 Mortal Realms we are currently fighting in.  I just thought it would be a characterful addition and could help the armies that don't have access to their own magic lores but are supposed to be very wizard focused like Seraphon or Darkling Coven.

They have this already.  It's in the campaign books under times of war sections usually.  Extra spells based on where you are fighting.

5 hours ago, MacDuff said:

I could see a bit more (a unique spell or two per), but I don't want to go back to the magic imbalance and complexity of WFB.

Spells that obliterate regiments can't be healthy for the game, however toning them down and with how current rules for casting are set,  I don't think we'd go back to that era.

3 hours ago, chord said:

They have this already.  It's in the campaign books under times of war sections usually.  Extra spells based on where you are fighting.

Exactly, GW has this already covered in campaign books, and this is a good way to travel. But first I'd say it would be good for all factions to have their own unique magic lore.

49 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

Exactly, GW has this already covered in campaign books, and this is a good way to travel. But first I'd say it would be good for all factions to have their own unique magic lore.

Why?  I would say no, as each faction may be different in the various realms.  That would make more sense as free people from the land of fire would be culturally different from one's in the land of beasts.

it would be more thematic and more lore  to be realm based.

1 minute ago, chord said:

Why?  I would say no, as each faction may be different in the various realms.  That would make more sense as free people from the land of fire would be culturally different from one's in the land of beasts.

it would be more thematic and more lore  to be realm based.

That’s why I figured a Collegiate Arcane Battletome would be the best place to try multiple Wind/Realm lores. As a faction that’s supposed to be a catch all group for wizards it makes sense.

Just now, Inqy said:

That’s why I figured a Collegiate Arcane Battletome would be the best place to try multiple Wind/Realm lores. As a faction that’s supposed to be a catch all group for wizards it makes sense.

Why look backwards towards WHFB instead of looking forward to something new and different? We should be not trying to turn AoS into WHFB

Why would it be looking backwards? That’s like saying why bother having a Khorne Bloodbound faction, since Chaos Warriors of Khorne existed in WHFB? 

Still, it’s just me saying my opinion so I’ll be quiet now.

18 minutes ago, Inqy said:

Why would it be looking backwards? That’s like saying why bother having a Khorne Bloodbound faction, since Chaos Warriors of Khorne existed in WHFB? 

Still, it’s just me saying my opinion so I’ll be quiet now.

No, keep voicing opinions, diversity of thought is a great thing:D

To me if feels like looking backwards into a game that died.   This thread has made numerous references  to WHFB , which is fine but feels like looking back.   

I think that to at least IMO to feel more forward looking it would have been more like, how can we improve the variety of magic available while playing to the strenths of AOS (Simplicity, streamlined game play, no specific nation where factions come from, etc)

16 minutes ago, chord said:

No, keep voicing opinions, diversity of thought is a great thing:D

To me if feels like looking backwards into a game that died.   This thread has made numerous references  to WHFB , which is fine but feels like looking back.   

I think that to at least IMO to feel more forward looking it would have been more like, how can we improve the variety of magic available while playing to the strenths of AOS (Simplicity, streamlined game play, no specific nation where factions come from, etc)

Probably not a great idea to claim to encourage a "diversity of opinions" while sporting a signature of "#WHFBisDeadLetItGo".

Every new faction has its origins in WHFB. Slayers? Dwarf flying machines? Treemen? All of these are elements within WHFB armies that have been dialed to 11.

Archived