Let's Chat: Seraphon 2017

tolstedt

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, robertxtrem said:

Actually if you look in the latest general's handbook there's a whole page on seraphon abilities and we can actually do a teleport every turn. Two if you take a slann.

I believe you may have missed the sarcasm that @PJetski injected into his post. Can we request a sarcasm font on these forums?

• 2 weeks later...

I ve been collecting Seraphon for the last couple of years because I love how they look but I have never had a battle with them. 

I was thinking of something like:

Slann 120

Skink Star priest 80

Engine of the Gods 220

10 Skinks 60

10 Skinks 60

40 Skinks 200

5 Chameleon Skinks 120

5 Chameleon Skinks 120

3 Ridderdactyl Riders 140

Bastiladon 280

Bastiladon 280

Shadowstrike Starhost 170

Total 1990. Wounds 116.

As you can see I favour the look of skinks to saurus but will I need to use some to make an effective list? 

As well as the above I have an old blood on carnosaur, scar vet on carnosaur, stegadon, 2 x scar vet on cold ones, another Skink Star priest, astrolith bearer, salamander and handlers, 15 x saurus knights, 20 x saurus warriors, 15 x saurus guard, and 3 x kroxigor. 

16 minutes ago, Drofnum said:

The Slann is 260, so you would need to drop 140 points of something to make that work.  Possibly swap one bastiladon for something cheaper like the Astrolith.

Sorry I mistyped it when copying it across from Scroll Builder on the Warhammer Community website. What I listed comes to 1990. Any advice? 

Dusting off my old Seraphon from back in the day before we had a general’s handbook and currently looking at what I want to run. Has anyone ever run an Eternal Starhost through a competitive gauntlet?

A base 2+ save ignoring 1 rend and 2-3 attacks per model at 3+/3+ -1 with D3 damage incense engaged is just bonkers. With a skink priest for rerolls they’re basically indestructible to most things they’ll ever meet.

There’s a vulnerability to mortal wounds there of course but that doesn’t mean that they aren’t viable. They’re *so* hard to kill for anything not mortals that they still look like they could be worth their points. Slann can unbind mortal-causing spells from anywhere to help too.

I’n not entirely sure what I’d run with it, probably 3x10 Saurus Guard and a Warde, a second Eternity Warden, Slann, 2 Skink Priests plus some skinks for objectives and some carnosaurs for efficient, high impact units to teleport (Carnosaurs have a pretty good wound per point output, though they don’t seem to be well loved).

Anyone have any experience with this?

Saurus Guard with buffs are tough to be sure and have good damage output. They need protection from MW like you said. Having only 1 wound makes them vulnerable to a bought of bad luck but rerolls help a lot with this.  Also the Warden has a pretty big target on him but little defense.

Multiple skink priests are essential I think, since 4+ for the prayer isn't very reliable. I've had whole games where one skink priest goes all atheist on me and never passes that role.  Barring some kind of wide-spread religious schism and descent into decadent nihilism, it's pretty unlikely 2 of them would fail consistently.

Hi my scaled brothers. 

Didn't realise there was a Seraphon thread on here as I'm rarely on TGA and quiet the internet noob. Though i'd say hi! 

I've been running Kroak and co for the past year and I'm excited to see if he's still viable in AOS phase 2. Being able to roll for 1st turn is going to be a game changer! Finally some game against KO! 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/249915650 I was invited on to the Honestwargamer recently to run through how I've been running Kroak and some of the decisions made in deployment etc to get the most out of him and keep him alive. If you manage to give it a watch, I'd love to hear if there's anything I've missed or any other suggestions to up my game. 

Cheers, Darren. 

So I've been toying with the idea of starting a new army, and since it seems everyone and their brother is starting Idoneth around here, I was thinking of starting Seraphon (especially since I picked up 40 Skinks already to support my Stormcast). From my experience, it's seemed that only Kroaknado has done well competitively, but at Adepticon a Seraphon player came in 3rd with Shadowstrike, which got my head clicking about possible other builds that might work.

What are some non-Kroak builds that have been doing well for people? I've been eyeing up the Cavalry - they're not particularly powerful, but they're cheap, fast, BV10 dudes that can do some board control while the bigger beasties and blobby units get into place. I dunno if I want to go too deep into Battalions, thinking of just going more on a mixed force with lots of bodies and few big monsters.

Eternal Starhost is a trap. It seems good but the weakness to mortal wounds is so pronounced that it's not worth running in tournaments. Saurus Guard are slow and not very punchy, you are better off running Saurus Knights in any kind of matched play game.

2 hours ago, Requizen said:

What are some non-Kroak builds that have been doing well for people? I've been eyeing up the Cavalry - they're not particularly powerful, but they're cheap, fast, BV10 dudes that can do some board control while the bigger beasties and blobby units get into place. I dunno if I want to go too deep into Battalions, thinking of just going more on a mixed force with lots of bodies and few big monsters.

Saurus Knights are the best battleline in the game. A 14" flying battleline unit with 10 wounds and 4 attacks per model - what more could you want for 100 points?

There are lots of great competitive lists built around the Starhost battalions and have nothing to do with Kroak. I actually consider the standard Kroak list to be a poor choice for a competitive tournament setting :P 

Thunderquake - Take a bunch of big monsters and give them rerollable wounds and saves and healing - add in an Astrolith Bearer to reroll hits, and a Slann to boost the healing. Lots of ways to build this list, letting you focus on shooting or melee or a mix.

Shadowstrike - Drop a big unit of 9-12 ripperdactyls or terradons >3" away from an enemy... and then you can move and shoot normally! With Terradons you can drop rocks on a big enemy, then shoot, then attack in melee with rerollable hits/wounds that turn. Or you can drop in Ripperdactyls on a unit near a Blot Toad and do a ton of melee attacks.

Bloodclaw - Saurus heroes have lots of great buffs, but theyre restricted to Command Abilities - this battalion lets them all use their command abilities AND it doubles the number of bite attacks every Saurus unit makes! This is the defacto Seraphon melee army.

Dracothions Tail - Deep strike half your army directly into play!  Make a mortal wound bomb (maybe "nuke" is more appropriate) with Kroak + Engine of the Gods + Celestant Prime dropping right on the enemy doorstep.

I think for new players it's probably a good idea to be a bit sensible on how many Skinks you invest in (i.e maybe don't go out and buy a ton of them).

I think the fact they're showing up in pretty much all the competitive Seraphon lists as well as mixed Order lists is going to see some kind of nerf to them. Most likely a points increase by 10-20 points I would guess (Although another alternative may push them outside of true battleline).

Certainly at the moment they're in contention for one of the best battleline units in the game.

Are skinks worth it on groups of 10?

I was thinking on focusing my list on big monsters and use little skinks units for the battleline req (At first I wanted to use 40 on a unit but...that's a lot of little lizards to paint) and a little chaf & hold objetives while my monsters go and focus the enemy.

14 hours ago, Requizen said:

What are the heavy hitters in the army, like really doing the damage? I know some people splurge for the FW Dread Saurian, but I'm not sure about going in on that. What's the thing that goes on the table and scares the opponents?

There isn't one single thing (except maybe the Engine of the Gods) but a combination of damage output from Stegadons, Bastiladons, Salamanders, Kroxigors, Razordons, and Carnosaurs. Seraphon is an army that relies on synergy to prop up their average units into great units.

12 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

For my experience knights are only good in dracothion list . Skinks are better . 60 points for 10 , they are very flexible . I think they are a must. With gh2 is interesting try 40 on them. It's only 200 pts:)

I have nothing against Skinks, but I have to say that Knights are amazing in just about any list. Their guaranteed 14" move (flying if you have a Slann) gives them great mobility and makes them amazing at getting into the position and formation that you want, be it as a forward screen or grabbing an objective. With 21 attacks for 100 points you can do a lot of damage against other screens. 10 wounds for 100 points is a standard cost, and they have a 5+ save that ignores Rend-1 (rerollable against shooting attacks if you have a Slann) and with only 5 models they'll never break in battleshock.

Skinks will not be nerfed - not before warscrolls are being remade at least. If they do, Seraphon will disappear from tournaments big time. Carnosaurs etc are just waaaaay too expensive for what they do and how easily they disappear. 

Skinks are the only really good “on its own and without synergies” Seraphon unit. They keep showing up cause they are too good and useful compared to the rest of the battelines at the moment.

If you are looking for heavy hitters, Seraphon is just not the army for ya :P May be the most synergy dependent army and one of the less forgiving. One mistake usually causes you a huge snowball. 

But man I love it. Everything about it. Miniatures, playstyle, everythingB| 

Looking to add to my army next week, wanted to know what I should get next.

What I got:

40x Warriors

15x Knights

OldBlood on Carnosaur

Oldblood on Foot

Scar-vet on Cold One

Sunblood

Skink Priest

Skink Starpriest

Engine of the Gods

Slann

Troglodon

Looking to spend maybe 60 bucks. Was thinking either a bastiladon or 2 boxes of skinks with blowpipes. But ripperdactyls are also calling my name.

2 hours ago, Amishjello said:

What I got:

40x Warriors

15x Knights

OldBlood on Carnosaur

Oldblood on Foot

Scar-vet on Cold One

Sunblood

Skink Priest

Skink Starpriest

Engine of the Gods

Slann

Troglodon

Looking to spend maybe 60 bucks. Was thinking either a bastiladon or 2 boxes of skinks with blowpipes. But ripperdactyls are also calling my name.

All good choices. I would pick the bastiladon as you have some battleline already.  Make sure to magnetise his weapon though.

2 hours ago, Amishjello said:

What I got:

40x Warriors

15x Knights

OldBlood on Carnosaur

Oldblood on Foot

Scar-vet on Cold One

Sunblood

Skink Priest

Skink Starpriest

Engine of the Gods

Slann

Troglodon

The skinks are good, but I always use it with Rippers.

9 hours ago, FLASH1211 said:

What is our best army build for big tournament?

After playing  lots of builds and play testing things quite a bit I believe the strongest battalions tend to be :  (in this order) actually:

1) Shadowstrike starhost-

2) Heaven's watch starhost 

3) Thunderquake host

4) Sometimes the sun claw starhost (this is a glass cannon and I am weary of it). HOWEVER if you play in a demon heavy meta with murderhosts or changehosts (best list in the meta)- than this list almost auto wins those matchups, it is also really awesome against Nurgle too -blocks of plaguebearers melt to this. Sadly, this list falls apart to shooting and is weaker after your blocks of sauruses melt away. I'd stay away from this unless the meta moves towards chaos demon heavy

The crux of all the first 3 lists are battlelines of 40x skinks 

Skinks as batteline are amazing for objectives and really cost efficient when fielding 40. You get 40 shots at 3+/5+ and possibly rerolling 1s if your constellation is the drake.

Also I try to jam in salamanders wherever I can- they are under pointed for 40 pts -2 rend d6 damage - they are a cheap cheap hammer (something the army lacks)

For the Shadowstrike and Thunderquake always take an engine of the Gods- it is a great unit - if you keep 10' from your Slann and close enough to your opponent you are most likely doing D3 mws from arcane bolt plus D6 from the engine .  It's durable and  a requirement for 2 of the battalions.

Bastalidon is almost a must in every army too - give it mystic shield and celestial rites and you've got a huge turtle that is healing wounds and saving on a 2+ ignoring rend rerolling- I have been equipping it with the ark of sotek and flying it into any frontline - Why this is good is because it can do up to 24 mortal wounds a turn from its snake and they wont kill. It is the ultimate pain in the ass. Almost every tournament list has a Bastiladon for a reason. 

All three lists have hammers of some sort but the way winning lists have operated is from skinks stealing objectives while other units Ripperdactyls or Bastiladons , alpha striking or tar pit allowing your skinks to slink around stealing points. 

Hope this helps!

I like big monsters, how does this list look?

Slann
Engine of the Gods

Skinks x40
Skinks x40
Cavalry x15

Bastiladon
Bastiladon

Salamander
Handlers x3

Thunderquake Starhost

1990/2000

Maybe decrease some of the Battleline to get another Leader, if I could free up 70 points for a Starseer or Priest that might be good. 

For starters your list is illegal because a Thunderquake requires a unit of Skink Handlers with your salamander :)

If you're running Thunderquake then you definitely want an Astrolith Bearer to reroll hits and boost your spell rolls + range. Since he cant move after planting your banner you dont want to include him in your list - summon him into position on the first turn.

Bastiladons are great but their damage output isnt great so you pay a lot of points for their defenses. The problem with running 2 Bastiladons is that you can only make one unkillable at a time because you can't cast multiple Mystic Shield. Whichever bastiladon is (relatively) vulnerable will get focused down (3+ rerollable is still killable!) and then you've spent 280 points and not done a lot of damage. 

I would recommend running a Stegadon instead of a 2nd Bastiladon. The stegadon is not as durable but it does more damage, moves further, its unique d6" movement ability in the hero phase is EXCELLENT since you can use it on himself or another unit after teleporting, and with the points saved you can add another salamander.

I would disagree a bit with Pjetski, two bastiladons is the better way to go in my opinion. I would use the astrolith bearer only if you were using both basts with a solar engine otherwise I wouldn't bother. I would definitely reduce or remove the cavalry, as nice as it might be charging 15 in you may be better off using less or some skinks which allows those heroes. If you remove all 15 and split your skinks into 40/40/10 you can then add the starseer.

Slann

Starseer

Engine

Bast x2

Salamander and handlers

40/40/10 skinks

Archived